Code of Conduct

Default Guerlain classics worn by men

The older classic Guerlains marketed to women strike me as marvelously unisex.

I am sure this topic has been discussed here in different ways, but how many men here wear: (be sure to state which form--EDT, EDP or extrait)

Shalimar

Jicky

L'Heure Bleue

Mitsouko
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: Guerlain classics worn by men

Personally don't wear any of the above.

All of the above (I'm sampled various different concentrations, don't have bottles yet), and also Apres L'Ondee, of which I have a bottle of the current EDT, and a small sample of the vintage parfum.
    Click to view my swap thread (L'Occitane and Tam Dao products going):

http://www.basenotes.net/threads/277...mp-body-lotion

Of the old Guerlain classics, I wear:
    Shalimar – edc, edt, pdt, edp, parfum
    Jicky – edc, pdt, parfum
    L'Heure Bleue – edt, edp, parfum
    Mitsouko – edc, edt, edp, parfum
    Vol de Nuit – edt, parfum

They're all marvelous in their own ways!

Jicky's not bad. My SoTD is Mouchoir de Monsieur, which is even better and closer to the vintage EdC.

Shalimar: extrait

Jicky: extrait

L'Heure Bleue: extrait

Mitsouko: extrait

+Vol de Nuit: extrait

Extrait is the only concentration that I own for the old Guerlain classics. L'Heure Bleue is the least versatile of the 5. Jicky is the most unisex due to its fougère DNA, animalic and fresh at the same time. Once you get used to wear Jicky Shalimar becomes very easy to wear as well. Vol de Nuit is the sleeper, a quiet and mysterious green chypre that smells like nothing else on the market today.

Quote Originally Posted by bokaba View Post
    My SoTD is Mouchoir de Monsieur, which is even better and closer to the vintage EdC.
    Love this one.

Shalimar EDP...a real masterpiece.

Shalimar: EDT

Jicky: EDT

L'Heure Bleue: I've a sort of idiosyncrasy with L'HB. Never been able to appreciate the strong buttery vibe.

Mitsouko: EDT

I've tried them in several forms (EDT, EDP, Extrait) but while I enjoyed pretty much all the diluitions, when it comes to wearing them I'm fine with the EDT. Probably the one I felt more confortable when I wore the EDP or the Extrait was Jicky.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

L'Heure Bleue – edp, extrait
    Vol de Nuit – extrait
    Last edited by Bonoanimoes; 6th September 2011 at 04:14 PM.

I don't own but would wear Jicky and Mitsouko parfum. The current Shalimar strikes me as too much sweetness and vanilla for me, and l'Heure Bleue, which I admire, seems a touch too gourmand for me.

I do own and wear Chamade EdT and Apres L'ondee EdT. I have set my eyes on and plan to buy and wear Vol de Nuit parfum, Chamade parfum. Perhaps even Nahema parfum (perhaps following Jicky and Mitsouko).

cacio

The thing I like about Guerlain is that most of their older scents (like Creed, too) have maintained their vintage quality despite mostly low-quality new releases.

Shalimar EDP
    Mitsouko EDT....I have the extrait coming soon! =)

I am craving for L'heure Bleue EDP!!

Off-Scenter

I'm happy wearing Mitsouko, Jicky, Vol de Nuit, Shalimar, and L'Heure Bleue, specially in their parfum versions. Après l'Ondée feels a little too pale and precious on me.

Mitsouko parfum (vintage) is the one I keep a bottle of.

Shalimar Edt, Edp

Jicky edp (I need a new bottle of this!)

L'Heure Bleue - Would love to try this.

Mitsouko - own Edt but love EDP more than EDT

Jicky Extrait
    Shalimar EDP & Vintage Extrait
    Mitsouko PDT & Vintage Extrait
    L'Heure Bleue EDT, EDP, Extrait

I got very lucky here a while back with some vintage Guerlains. The Mitsouko PDT, in particular, was a revelation to me.

Thank you all for the responses.

I guess there is no real rule for the versions worn by everyone.

(I tend to prefer the EDPs.)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Every now and then I wear:

-Mitsouko EDT
    -Jicky EDT (vintage)
    -L'Heure Bleue parfum (vintage)

Every so often I will test out Shalimar. I have a bottle of EDC and EDT, but for some reason I start to get kind of headachey, I still find it to be a masterpiece though.

Still dying to try out Apres L'ondee and I know I want to wear Sous le Vent again, as I think it is something I must have.

SHALIMAR
    I have the new and two vintages of the extrait. The one and only I dearly love and also find easiest to wear in public is the vintage in the white-black zigzag box. Its smokiness and natural feel all through the composition from bergamot to opoponax and ambergris are divine. I also have the current EdP, which loses me slightly with its artifical vibe. The vintage EdT I sampled was nice, but I have little interest in Guerlain EdTs in general. The vintage EdC was not for me. Unlike some others here, the EdC are not my thing at all, not only concentration-wise but composition.

JICKY
    An easy wear for me, new and vintage, extrait and EdP/PdT, but ultimately too quiet and too shortlived to excite me. The PdT would be my preferred choice, but I'm happy to stick with Mouchoir de Monsieur.

L'HEURE BLEUE
    I adore it, but I personally do not find it an easy wear in public. I would mostly go with the extrait and PdT (with its spiciness), however my most loved is the EdP in the black-golden box. I'm picky with my florals being intact. It has all the drama and stirs emotions. I mostly wear it at home though. A close second is PdT. However fantastic LHB in extrait is, I always find it lacks drama and edges. The vintage parfum (really old) is a reference for a truly deep musky base. It is so unique and special. It is my New Year scent.

MITSOUKO
    I am not fond of Mitsouko in its vintage form. I love the brightness and airiness of the new. The current extrait is truly my preferred concentration. Picture a beautiful and already warm spring day out in the country! The current EdP is nice, although slightly synthetic in feel like Shalimar, and creates a leather-like harshness (from the vetiver?). It is pretty good and becomes quieter after an hour with impressive longevity though.

VOL DE NUIT
    The vintage EdT is heavenly but gone before the hour is over. The current EdT is strange. It pretends to have the complete complex Vol de Nuit structurein the background, but it is a Potemkin village only.
    In the end, I think I would have to say that I slightly prefer the new extrait over the vintage. It is the best modernization of a classic I have seen. It concentrates on the beautiful aspects and therefore the jonquil is sublime in this composition. Compared to the vintage extrait it is less complicated and yes vintage in feel. Vol de Nuit is a rather masculine perfume and therefore an easy wear with comfortable sillage (on the slightly quieter side) and with very good (for the new extrait) and good (for the vintage) longevity.

I would love to wear Eau Imperiale - though a genuinely unisex fragrance anyway - on a regular basis

Thanks for this thread, btw, it also suggested my SOTE - by Guerlain, of course

I have the current EdT of L'Heure Bleue, which I wear quite often. I also like the current extrait. For some reason the EdP is just too floral for me.
    I've also been smitten by the vintage EdC of Mitsouko. It tones down the peach note, so it wears more like Givenchy III.
    I have a recent Shalimar extrait, I have to say that it's not the best version so far, but it's what I have.
    The current versions of Jicky, with the exception of the extrait, are so fleeting that I can't be bothered with them. Such a shame.
    The new Shalimar Initial EdP is a current favorite of mine. It smells like a classic in the making.

I wear:

Shalimar: Shalimar Light a.k.a. Eau Légère Parfumée (EDT)

Jicky: Jicky (EDT)
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Shalimar - not really for me. I gave my wife a bottle of EdP over ten years ago, and now and then I try a drop. Doesn't work for me.

Mitsouko - bought a new EdT a couple of weeks ago. Vastly disappointing. I've smelled it before and loved it before, but the EdT I purchased seems like a hollow shadow of some other fine perfume.

Jicky - I've had a newish bottle of EdT for a couple of years. Seems weak. I'm not getting the much-loved civet effect. Disappointing, but not bad.

L'Heure Bleu - sniffed it a couple of times. Love the concept. Experience tells me I'd better go EdP or nothing on this one.

Vol de Nuit - sniffed it once, immediately loved it. Would love to have an EdP in my collection.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    The new Shalimar Initial EdP is a current favorite of mine. It smells like a classic in the making.
    I love that one too! And agree that it's a significant step for Guerlain, at the very least. There is a side of me that almost hopes that it's not a success, so that it can fade into history as a lost classic, rather than getting played out by the masses and thereby underappreciated by the cognoscented.

I was going to ask whether it's too early to declare Guerlain Homme a classic. I'm wearing it today, for the first time in a few months, and loving it. The moment I opened my shower gel, I was overtaken by the sense that it was a totally Guerlain and totally novel at the same time. I almost felt the same respect for Wasser at that moment, as I did the first time I smelled QVLP.

Addressing the question as originally intended, I have to plug Vol de Nuit. I feel guilty that I bought it for my wife, but that it's really better on me.

I wear Chamarde, Jicky, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko and Vol de Nuit; all in edt concentration.

Hear, hear on the Wasser appreciation. I would chance my luck that both Shalimar Parfum Initial and Guerlain Homme are new Guerlain classics. These and Idylle will be looked upon with deserved nostalgia and praise in 2030. Everytime I wear any of them, I go "ahhhh", just as one should with a Guerlain.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I love that one too! And agree that it's a significant step for Guerlain, at the very least. There is a side of me that almost hopes that it's not a success, so that it can fade into history as a lost classic, rather than getting played out by the masses and thereby underappreciated by the cognoscented.

I was going to ask whether it's too early to declare Guerlain Homme a classic. I'm wearing it today, for the first time in a few months, and loving it. The moment I opened my shower gel, I was overtaken by the sense that it was a totally Guerlain and totally novel at the same time. I almost felt the same respect for Wasser at that moment, as I did the first time I smelled QVLP.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    I wear:

Shalimar: Shalimar Light a.k.a. Eau Légère Parfumée (EDT)

Jicky: Jicky (EDT)
    I also have the discontinued Eau Legere, and I find it better than the new Eau de Shalimar.

I find that I am fickle and tend towards different scents every few days.

1960s Shalimar EdC is the most animalic concoction in my modest collection, fantastic stuff. It starts off as deep oriental before the skanky undertones kick in. Most of my go-to masculines are just female frags from yesteryear, beastly frags compared to the myriad milkwater masculines of today.

L'Heure Bleue - EDT

Mitsouko - EDT

Smelling Mitsouko (current EDP formulation) was a religious experience, the most beautiful thing I have ever smelled. Now I own several formulations and concentrations. Also a fan (and wearer) of Shalimar, Vol de Nuit and L'Heure Bleu.

I wear the current Shalimar EDP and recently got some vintage parfum. I also bought the current Mitsouko EDP but it didn't arrive yet. Maybe I'll get also L'Heure Bleue but Jicky is in my wish list.

Shalimar vinytage edp
    L'Heure Bleue vintage edt
    Mitsouko vintage edt
    Vol de Nuit vintage edt
    Jicky vintage edt

I wear the first three the most.
    Last edited by pluran; 21st October 2011 at 12:10 AM.

What a fun thread. I have all five (Jicky, Shalimar, Vol de Nuit, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko) in extrait and I wear them frequently. I also have Shalimar in vintage PdT.

Of these, I think I'd agree that L'Heure Bleue is the hardest to wear, not because it's "feminine" but because it's so rich, unexpected and unique it's hard to find the right occasion for it. The newest Shalimar extrait is not as good as it once was. The smoky, incensy bits have been removed and the composition has become brighter and sweeter. *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by granola357 View Post
    Of these, I think I'd agree that L'Heure Bleue is the hardest to wear, not because it's "feminine" but because it's so rich, unexpected and unique it's hard to find the right occasion for it. The newest Shalimar extrait is not as good as it once was. The smoky, incensy bits have been removed and the composition has become brighter and sweeter. *sigh*
    I think you are spot-on, granola!

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    I also have the discontinued Eau Legere, and I find it better than the new Eau de Shalimar.

I find that I am fickle and tend towards different scents every few days.
    Strange, because both scents are the same. This is what Isabelle Rousseau (Guerlain's PR person a while ago don't know if she's still there) said about both scents: "I inform you that the Eau de Shalimar fragrance is the same as Shalimar Eau Légère , created by Jean Paul Guerlain."

I wear all my Guerlains at home, somehow i don't see them as travelers...a longtime ago i used to wear Vetiver Pour Elle (along with the original Vetiver of course and other versions) but not as much now.

I tried L'Heure Bleue (EDT) and Mitsouko (EDT and parfum) for the first time this weekend. I was surprised at how much I enjoyed them, and I'll be on the lookout for a deal on the EDP's or parfum versions in the future (couldn't believe how much I preferred the Mitsouko parfum to the EDT).

Very interested to test Vol de Nuit and Jicky, do stores like Saks and Niemen's typically carry it? I didn't see it at the Niemen Marcus in SF.

Uhh... not on topic exactly, but I own and enjoy vintage Samsara EDP (my wife thought it smelled masculine - I thought more fem) and Champs Elysees EDP (my wife thought fem - I thought masculine).

I have been in search of some vintage Shalimar and Mitsouko becuase I am so impressed with the whole Guerlain line and have been exploring vintage fems (I just recieved some 1970's vintage Chanel No.5 and have 2 bottles of unknown vintage Miss Dior).

...NDN-01

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    Strange, because both scents are the same. This is what Isabelle Rousseau (Guerlain's PR person a while ago don't know if she's still there) said about both scents: "I inform you that the Eau de Shalimar fragrance is the same as Shalimar Eau Légère , created by Jean Paul Guerlain."

I wear all my Guerlains at home, somehow i don't see them as travelers...a longtime ago i used to wear Vetiver Pour Elle (along with the original Vetiver of course and other versions) but not as much now.
    Castorpollux, I have both and somehow the Legere version is a little different. Maybe more vanilla in the mix? The new Eau seems more citrusy.

Sous le Vent remains one of my all-time favorite citrus scents. It has been in heavy rotation this summer

Shalimar edp

Jicky edt, will eventually get the edp and extrait

L'Heure Bleue edp

Mitsouko edp

I wear L'heure bleue EDT and EDP and EDT versions of Mitsouko. both smell great on me. It's more masculine than most other scents in the market.
    seeking mitsouko 50ml's cap....desperately!!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Personally don't wear any of the above.
    +1

With all due respect, some classics are best admired from a distance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    With all due respect, some classics are best admired from a distance.
    Holding the stinky, rabid, civet cat at arm's length - civet lover that I am - I hereby pronounce these as among the wisest words ever to appear in the fragrance blogosphere.

+1 on Sous le Vent.

Shalimar
    Jicky
    Mitsouko
    These. Edt, as easily available for a reasonable price.

Mitsouko is wonderful, Shalimar great. Jicky I did find somewhat disappointing at first but it has very much grown on me.

It's hard to pick the ones that i like the most, almost all the Guerlain classics appeal to me. Right now the ones that come to my mind are:

L'Heure Bleue

Mitsouko

Vol de Nuit

Chant d'Aromes

Shalimar

Nahema

Apres L'Ondee

I always tried to like Jicky, but the civet note gives a dirty aura to it that i don`t like.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    +1 on Sous le Vent.
    Sous Le Vent has become one of my favorites. I hope it doesn`t get discontinued! It`s perfect for summer...

Castorpollux, I have both and somehow the Legere version is a little different. Maybe more vanilla in the mix? The new Eau seems more citrusy.
    I get a difference of citrus at eau legere and the current eau de shalimar openings. Eau legere has a more bitter and fizzy citrus opening, that seems distantly linked with aqua allegoria pamplelune, while the current one has more of a lemon opening, more common, but it doesn`t compromise the overall fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by granola357 View Post
    What a fun thread. I have all five (Jicky, Shalimar, Vol de Nuit, L'Heure Bleue, Mitsouko) in extrait and I wear them frequently. I also have Shalimar in vintage PdT.

I have already wore L'Heure Bleue at work and didn`t receive any negative comments about it and altough it`s rich it`s also cozy at colder temperatures too. What i found intriguing is that something on the aura reminded me distantly of Prada Pour Homme. They don`t smell similar at any point, but they have a cozy powdery aura to me.

I wear almost all of them in various concentrations:

-Mitsouko in EDP and extrait
    -L'Heure Bleue in EDC and extrait
    -Vol de Nuit in EDT and extrait
    -Jicky in EDT
    -Chamade in EDT and extrait
    -Samsara in extrait

I once had and wore Shalimar in extrait (don't care for the EDT, but the EDP is lovely)...hopefully will get another bottle soon. The only one I'm not really a fan of (although it's beautiful) is Nahema. It's lovely, but too strong for me personally.

Basenotes Plus

Mitsouko - vintage EDC, EDT + current EDP
    Shalimar - vintage PdT

I'd wear Jicky if I can find some vintage...
    Vol de Nuit unfortunately is too ephemeral for me, so I found it a better home.

I do own vintage Mitsoukos and L'Heure Bleu (perfume) and if I lived on an island by myself I might wish to wear these Guerlains every once in a while. But living not far from my rather traditional people I would feel uncomfortable wearing perfumes that are so closely connected with either grandma, mother or sisters. Some French perfumes have been or still are simply 'theirs'.

However, I can thoroughly enjoy and wear others, not linked to the family: L'Aimant or Passage D'Enfer, for example.
    Last edited by narcus; 6th September 2011 at 04:57 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi è un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Personally the old classics need to be worn in parfum concentration , I love Jicky , occasionally use Mitsuoko and Vol De Nuit