Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Question Amouage Reflection Man

Hi,

I recently got a sample from Parfums Raffy for this fragrance and I have been using it for a week, doing a couple of sprays each day. I have to admit, at first it smelled way too sweet, kinda like Le Male or 1 Million which I am not a fan of both, but now it has definitely grown on me.

I look up the basenotes review and find that it isn't held to a very high regard and is even compared to 'corn chips' a few times. Try as I might, I get no corn chips, just clean spicy notes that are a breath of fresh air from the aquatics 95% of cologne users wear in my University and work environment.

I've made up my mind and I am going to grab a bottle of this soon but I would still like to hear basenotes' take on this Amouage offering.

Thanks

Default Re: Amouage Reflection Man

I found it to be like a sickly powdery version of joop and it just rubbed me the wrong way when I used my sample.

Interesting, I haven't tried Joop so I'll see if I can find one to sniff

Banned

I was expecting more from this as it comes from the opulent Amouage house. I own a 100ml bottle and will not be replacing it when it runs out; I think it's a nice fragrance and that's about as far as it goes. I find myself using this for everyday use. for a £155 fragrance, I feel it shouldn't be this versatile. I know that sounds strange, but I want the more expensive frags in my collection to be reserved for the evening or special occasions and I find Reflection somewhat generic. A good generic of obvious quality, but still generic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I found it to be like a sickly powdery version of joop and it just rubbed me the wrong way when I used my sample.
    I take this one step further and say its a cross between joop and le male
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by TonyNZ View Post
    Interesting, I haven't tried Joop so I'll see if I can find one to sniff
    Try finding a bottle of chloroform instead, will leave you with the same lasting impression

Sound Scents

I guess I am in the minority here, but I liked Reflection Man. It was a bit sweet for my tastes and at the end of the day I did not buy a bottle, but I would be happy to have it in my collection if I had the cash. It is pricey, in my opinion, but a very nice simplistic scent. I rated it "4 of 5" stars when I sampled it last month. At the end of the day, the only opinion that matters is your own.. so enjoy!

Oh, and the Joop comparisons are interesting, as it has been years since I tried that one... and I did not like it at all. Either my tastes have changed, or I did not think they smelled similar (except both I remember being sweet). I did not get corn chips either, for what it is worth...
    Current Top Ten:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Jasmin Antique (Rogue Perfumery)
    3) Giorgio for Men vintage (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie
    3) Giorgio V.I.P. Special Reserve (Giorgio Beverly Hills) - tie

5) Dia pour Homme vintage edt (Amouage)

6)
    Anat Fritz and its reissue, called Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    8) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    8) Polo vintage (Ralph Lauren) - tie

Currently wearing: Parfum de Peau by Montana

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Don't care for this one at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Scentologist View Post
    I take this one step further and say its a cross between joop and le male
    I always thought that would cause a black hole to form.

If I were going niche I would spend my money on Original Santal. Reflection isn't awful, but it isn't great either. The more I wore it the more I started to dislike it.

It's a weirdly compelling synthetic bomb on me. I enjoy it now and then. But honestly -- not saying this to be mean -- there's a truck stop in a rural area near my house that uses an atomic strength air freshener in the men's room, so strong that when you leave the store you can still smell it on you. Yes, Reflection Man reminds me a lot of that.

I think is a lovely fragrance, IMO it has is nothing, absolutely nothing to do with Le male and Joop, I HATE these two Syntetic Bombs by the way.

Love reflection think of Lemale minus the mint note and much smoother, one of the most unique smells on the market IMO...

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    If I were going niche I would spend my money on Original Santal. Reflection isn't awful, but it isn't great either. The more I wore it the more I started to dislike it.
    +1.

Dependent

This is the only scent on my wishlist this year. Without obsessing, it smells quite close to Original Santal, both of which I grew to love after initial disregard. Recently, I'm starting to take a liking to Joop Homme because of my fondness for those 2. Don't worry even if whole of BN dislikes it, how often would you bump into a BNer...
    Currently wearing: Chergui by Serge Lutens

I love it!

Coming from a Joop! & Og Santal fan, I love the hell out of Reflection Man. It's a rich man's Le Male for sure, and way classier.

Might be worth testing Custo Man before you spend the $$$ on Reflection. It's a similar fragrance for far less money.

I don't get any similarity between RM and LM or Joop.

I liked it but after I tested Antico Caruso I liked that a lot better. Original Santal and Antico Caruso are better options IMO.

Beautifull fragrance. I will never be without my Reflection Man. Expensive but worth every single penny.

Thank you for all the replies. I wasn't even aware that Original Santal and Reflection Man were in the same category since I never tried OS before. I would love to try the other scents mentioned but I am limited to what Parfums Raffy offers since other sites don't ship international or don't answer emails so ordering samples is a headache.

I'm just looking for a more unique spring-summer scent and I really though Reflection Man fit the bill being a light, slightly sweet fragrance on my skin. I will dig out my OS sample and smell it but just reading the notes make it seem to be a bit too thick and heavy.

Blog Entries

Reflection Man a light, slightly sweet scent?

o.O

O.o

Holy moly, what do you consider strong?
    Smellin good

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post

I agree, there's no way this is light. Amouage scents in general are not light, but I find their sillage to be on the light side. This is a really great thing for me, as just a little bit and people will be getting the odd whiff here and there without being overpowered at all.

Reflection Man is great. Not bottle worthy in my opinion, though.
    Please see my "wanted samples thread"
    Looking for decants of French Lover and Chergui.

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post

o.O

O.o

Holy moly, what do you consider strong?
    Hahaha, I think its due to the fact that I am spraying from the small sampler bottle and get like a third of a spray from a real bottle.

1/2- spray is more than enough of this nuclear sillage monster.. I`ll pass!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    I think is a lovely fragrance, IMO it has is nothing, absolutely nothing to do with Le male and Joop
    totally agree
    Glorious Bastards
    Opium pour homme edp
    Rive gauche
    Knize ten
    M7 fresh
    M7

I love Le Male, and I like Reflection. Own both. They are nothing alike.

Reflection's quality is undeniable but it will not be replaced when it runs out. Its very well blended, and modern, but there's too many in my collection that I'd rather wear.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.
    Currently wearing: Prada L'Homme by Prada

Blog Entries

Wow, how noses change. The first time I tried this, I thought it smelled like a generic Le Male, with a "tennis ball" accord. Wearing it again today, and wow, this is nice! Tbh, it smells the same as when I last wore it in Dec, but I'm just really digging it for some reason. Ehh, enough to where it's on my wish list now. I think it's a classier, more refined, more elegant Le Male, and I think I really need it in my life!
    "I am not trendy" -Thierry Mugler

I didn't care for it.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Wow, how noses change. The first time I tried this, I thought it smelled like a generic Le Male, with a "tennis ball" accord. Wearing it again today, and wow, this is nice! Tbh, it smells the same as when I last wore it in Dec, but I'm just really digging it for some reason. Ehh, enough to where it's on my wish list now. I think it's a classier, more refined, more elegant Le Male, and I think I really need it in my life!
    Funny how things change like that huh? I haven't reached for Le Male in the longest time but Reflection remains a staple.
    "I drank what?" -Socrates
    Currently wearing: Oud Wood by Tom Ford