Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: The worst of the worst: Projection / Longevity

Quote Originally Posted by A. Homme View Post
    Wow, really? A coworker of mine wears it, and I can smell him across the office all day long. I have a bottle, but haven't worn it in ages because of him! I get incredible projection and longevity out of Bang, too, but I like it and probably apply more liberally than with others.
    For me after about an hour it has almost no projection and I have to hold my nose to my skin to get anything, which is unfortunate because as I said I do enjoy this one a lot.

And for those saying D&G The One Gentleman, this lasts an extremely long time on my skin and projects really well. D&G The One though is an entirely different matter

+1 for both D&G The One and The One Gentleman. Lovely scents, made totally pathetic and pointless by them lasting less than an hour. Gentleman is so pathetic at lasting, that I imagine a very old gentleman, who is on his last legs, frail and weak, ready to pass away at anytime!!!!
    LOST! in scent and music

Quote Originally Posted by LOST! View Post
    +1 for both D&G The One and The One Gentleman. Lovely scents, made totally pathetic and pointless by them lasting less than an hour. Gentleman is so pathetic at lasting, that I imagine a very old gentleman, who is on his last legs, frail and weak, ready to pass away at anytime!!!!
    Really? I just imagine Matthew Matthew McConaughey's career while wearing it... which I suppose is the same thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Sidney_Falco View Post
    Really? I just imagine Matthew Matthew McConaughey's career while wearing it... which I suppose is the same thing!

haha!! well there you go then!!
    LOST! in scent and music

Gucci PH II
    Top 10:
    1. Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta
    2. YSL M7
    3. Tom Ford Bois Marocain
    4. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    5. Dior Homme/Intense
    6. YSL Opium
    7. Azzaro Pour Homme
    8. Frederic Malle's Musc Ravageur
    9. YSL Live Jazz
    10. Burberry London

Basenotes Plus

Annick Goutal Duel is the most pitiful I've encountered so far. My skin chemistry seems to work with virtually anything but this stuff was absolutely atrocious in terms of both longevity AND projection.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 4th September 2011 at 11:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Annick Goutal Duel is the most pitiful I've encountered so far. My skin chemistry seems to work with virtually anything but this stuff was absolutely atrocious in terms of both longevity AND projection.
    My first thought, too, Jon! I really, really love this, too. What a shame to wear this only in the house for that reason.

An iris and leather scent!

Great scent, pitiful longevity.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

ck be...lasts maybe 2hrs

yet another +1 for both The One and T.O.Gentlemen. it's so ridiculous...made worse by the fact that they were the first 2 purchases in my entire fragrance purchase history (2 years ago). not the best of starts lol.

Quote Originally Posted by ROtto View Post
    Why "terrible" longevity and "horrendous" projection? Not all of us want to smell like the Empress of all the Russias all the time.

On some hot days I only want to wear a simple eau de cologne, and if I have to work closely with people, a close skin scent that I can feel comfortable in is all I need.
    Exactly why I used the terms "terrible" and "horrendous" because I personally prefer fragrances that have decent projection and would rather not have my next door neighbor smell what I'm wearing. The fragrances that make this list are those that just disappear or require you to profusely scratch your neck and sniff your finger nails to get a whiff of the scent (which is why its called worst of the worst). Who would ever throw down money for a fragrance that dies after 30 minutes?

To add to the list:
    Lacoste Challenge
    Boss Bottled Night

Also - I personally love The One and The One Gentlemen in terms of the scent itself. It's just a shame that they are weak.

Out of my collection:

Tabac Original EDC--lasts maybe an hour or so, then I can barely detect it. I know it's an EDC, but still, was hoping for 3 or 4 hours at least.

Gucci Pour Homme II--Lasts about 5 or 6 hours on my skin, but after 30 minutes or so, it barely projects at all. Such a great scent too. The only reason I haven't swapped or sold it is that it's one of--if not--the best smelling fragrances I've ever worn.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I love Trumper Extract of West Indian Limes, but longevity is nearly nonexistent. You put it on and get a great invigorating natural lime, then it is gone in minutes (or maybe I should say seconds). Too bad, really.
    Totally concur. Longevity is literally counted in minutes with this. The worst potency I've experienced outside the 99-cent store.

+1 on Clinique Happy, 7-8 sprays, 3hrs MAX

Quote Originally Posted by Cylob View Post
    Cacharel pour l'homme: gone in an hour or so.
    Used to last all day on me back in the 80's.
    /agree. I wished Cacharel lingered longer. it's a great frag and I haven't found anything even close to it.

I also agree with the others on Clinique Happy. Spray it and it's gone; but I don't miss it much.

Surprised nobody's mentioned Nautica Sunset Voyage yet. Out of the 250+ frags I own, this takes the award for worst projection/sillage/longevity...by far. 10 sprays of this will last 10 minutes.
    someone please stop me from buying more cologne.

top five: 1) Creed Vintage Tabarome 2) Creed Windsor 2) Serge Lutens Chergui 3) Frederic Malle Musc Ravageur 5) MFK Lumiére Noire Pour Homme

Banana Republic Classic

Love the fresh limes, bergamot and grapefruit ... unfortunately this vitamin C concoction is the weakest of my collection. Maybe one hour at most ?
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

Quote Originally Posted by Cylob View Post
    Cacharel pour l'homme: gone in an hour or so.
    Used to last all day on me back in the 80's.
    I agree. There's nothing quite like it but it fades very quickly - and yes did seem stronger back in the 80's.

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    I agree. There's nothing quite like it but it fades very quickly - and yes did seem stronger back in the 80's.
    I do get 4-6 hours from 5-6 sprays of my newly bought 100 ml EDT - but I agree it seemed stronger back in 1986
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    Now with 418 bottles in my collection

AdP Colonia Intensia love it as well

The absolute worst hands down is 4711. It is the only cologne I own that lasts for approximately 1 hour max.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Quote Originally Posted by neo_angel View Post
    i forgot dior - eau savage
    20 minutes and its gone
    I get at least 12 hours from it, personally...

I easily get 10 hours out of The One Gentleman. I'm beginning to think most BNers noses are broken as I just don't understand most longevity issue claims. Especially when people are claiming scents like Body Kouros only last 3 or 4 hours.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

less than 2 hours with burberry london
    have to dig my nose just to get even a whiff of it

Men I believe a lot of the scents mentioned here were designed that way to be light skin scents

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Most L'Artisan Parfumeur.
    Yep, it's like paying up a surcharge for low projection/longevity with most of this line, taking 'less is more' a little too seriously for my tastes. One exception: Al Oudh.

for me blue de chanel i get only 3 hours.
    my versace eau fraiche does lack longevity if it,s not very hot outside.
    gucci 2 extremly low projection only people that are really in your personal space
    can smell it ,but i love this fragrance it,s so nice and unique owned 3 bottles allready
    any dolce and gabbana does bad for me thats the reason dolce only gets money from me when i but them jeans.
    also bulgary aqua only stayed 3 hours or less every time had 2 samples.

Euphoria by Calvin Klein.

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Yep, it's like paying up a surcharge for low projection/longevity with most of this line, taking 'less is more' a little too seriously for my tastes. One exception: Al Oudh.
    I remedied this by spraying double of what i usually do.

for swap/sale:

Jardin du poet - Eau de Italy - 2 hours and it is absolutely gone from my skin

Joop! Haha just kidding! Definitely Love and Luck by Ed Hardy. I have oily skin so fragrances last a long time on me. This one Is gone in 2 hours

Cologne Grand Siécle 07 - only about 15 minutes and puff! It is totally gone... Shame, 'cause it is all-natural and quite nice.

You guys can't list eaus, that's cheating.

I would have to say that the current Chanel Pour Monsieur had the most disappointingly low longevity of any scent I've tried. It's too expensive for what it is. Nothing else in my wardrobe(that isn't an eau de cologne) has a lower longevity.

Agreed that Demeter sucks.

Most L'Artisan Parfumeur.
    I've been disappointed with most LAP for this reason. I bought Patchouli Patch after liking a test on paper - on skin it's gone in an hour and it's a skin scent for most of that.

Oh, and Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperiale. Awesome for about 15 minutes, then it's gone to the ether ...

I remedied this by spraying double of what i usually do.
    That would be about 30 sprays, no? That makes LAP Creed-like in terms of cost - does it get you more longevity or just more projection?

Dior Higher Energy

Quote Originally Posted by CardaGiorgio View Post
    Euphoria by Calvin Klein.
    +1

Never had an issue with Gucci II
    Looking to swap…look for my thread on the trade page. May be interested in buying Amouage. Having fun with shower gels. If you want to get rid of yours or swap for frags, give me a shout!

I managed to find a store with Guerlain Jicky, which is something I've been wanting to sample for a while. I sprayed it on my wrist and it was gone within five minutes. I then got the SA to help me, in case the problem was me. (Most people to tell me that the problem is me.) She doused my arm with it, tried to sell me some trendy new scents, and then, within five minutes, I got her to check me again. Nothing. She was urging me not to buy it!

And all I got was lemon cheesecake. While it lasted.

I also found that 4711 Echt Kölnisch Wasser opened up interesting before running off and hiding. Lasted possibly twice as long as Jicky, but still didn't survive a quarter hour.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    I love Trumper Extract of West Indian Limes, but longevity is nearly nonexistent. You put it on and get a great invigorating natural lime, then it is gone in minutes (or maybe I should say seconds). Too bad, really.
    No shyt on this one. 15-20 minutes...maybe if you're lucky.

Who the F buys this a second time?!?!?

-gucci 2
    -dior homme reformulation (2 hours)

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    I've been disappointed with most LAP for this reason. I bought Patchouli Patch after liking a test on paper - on skin it's gone in an hour and it's a skin scent for most of that.
    Yes. Did you try the Patchouli Extreme? I think theres an extreme of it.

That would be about 30 sprays, no? That makes LAP Creed-like in terms of cost - does it get you more longevity or just more projection?
    Yes more or less (mostly more) 30 sprays.

The 30 sprays result in both.

for swap/sale:

Kenneth Cole Reaction. Nice scent, but it lasts about 3-4 hours on me.

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Creed Bois de Cedrat. I love it, but it disappears almost immediately into a skin scent even if I bathe in it.
    Yep.

... Any Creed fragrance I have tried except for GIT.

4711 original eau de cologne.
    beckham's instinct

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Caesar View Post
    Virgin Island works the best in high heat conditions. Hint Island Water. I get atleast 7 hours in the high heat. Don't even attempt to wear this below 85 degrees
    This is somewhat off-topic but last week, I was in the open air about to enter a church when a blind cane tapping churchgoer in front of me exclaimed, "I smell coconuts!" Right then and there I was sold on my VIW as a winner!!! LOL
    My Starting Lineup: MI, Pure Malt, GIT, LIDGE, Clive Christian C, LaNuit, Royal Oud, Aventus, Guerlain Homme Intense, L'Humaniste, VIW, D & G PH, Jardin d' Amalfi, DHI, Clive Christian X,, Bentley Intense, Bois du Portugal. Signature Scent: L'homme

Ralph Lauren's Extreme Polo Sport has horrendously bad longevity on me, one of, if not the worst I've come across so far.

By no means the worst, but I personally get poor longevity from Neroli Portofino (2-3 hours at most). The reason I mention it here is that I've often read it being praised for it's excellent longevity. Very disappointing to me as I love the scent.

A*Men...

Quote Originally Posted by cadenz View Post
    This is somewhat off-topic but last week, I was in the open air about to enter a church when a blind cane tapping churchgoer in front of me exclaimed, "I smell coconuts!" Right then and there I was sold on my VIW as a winner!!! LOL
    Temperatures are averaging 95 where I live, and lately I've been getting at least seven to eight hours as well out of VIW -- definitely not a weak scent, at least in its current formulation. Of course, most of those hours were spent in air conditioning.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I hate to say it...(because I love the scent) but Sel de Vetiver is gone very quickly on my skin.

Also, the Bvlgari Tea fragrances...

All the John Varvatos line.

D&G The One Sport. Holy cow. It disappears faster than I can type this commen... and it's gone.

Quote Originally Posted by ahep2007 View Post
    As much as I love Gucci II, it's probably the weakest frag in my wardrobe for both projection and longevity.
    Wow! This just goes to show how different a scent can be for different people. I get excellent longevity from GphII. Easily 10 hours with only TWO sprays to the chest, and I can smell it on my shirt the next morning. I get maybe 3 hours out of the top notes, not much mid at all, but the base notes last very long on me.

Blog Entries

Another vote for The One by Dolce & Gabbana. Nice scent but doesn't last.

What about Penhaligon's Extract of Limes? That stuff disappears on me almost instantly.

Agree with Creed Bois de Cedrat. I love the stuff, but it does not last long at all.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    Men I believe a lot of the scents mentioned here were designed that way to be light skin scents
    THIS! It's why I'm such a huge fan of Gucci Pour Homme I (and II, but especially I). GphI starts big bold and very rich on my skin. After 3 hours, it evolves into a skin scent that is so perfect for a date. I easily get 10 hours plus out of either.

Quote Originally Posted by crvn View Post
    not sure about the projection, but i find cdg 2 longevity a little bit lacking
    Excellent longevity and projection from this one (the silver unisex bottle).
    I don't really buy stuff with poor longevity. But the weekest scent I know (got a sample) is santal massoia. For that price point not acceptable...

Less than 2 hours:
    Nautica Oceans
    Nautica Sunset Voyage
    Nautica Classic
    CK Be
    Clinique Happy
    D&G The One
    DKNY Red Delicious
    Polo Black
    John Varvatos Vintage
    Bongo
    Monsieur Balmain
    Carlos Santana
    Donald Trump: The Fragrance

Less than 3 hours:
    DKNY Be Delicious
    Polo Double Black
    John Varvatos Rock vol I
    John Varvatos
    Corduroy
    Halston Unbound
    Tommy Bahama Set Sail St Barts
    Diesel Only the Brave
    Adidas Moves 0:01
    True Religion
    Live Jazz
    Perry Ellis Portfolio
    Last edited by The_Cologneist; 28th July 2012 at 08:27 PM.

Oh, and Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperiale. Awesome for about 15 minutes, then it's gone to the ether ...
    aha, this is a nice one, but the weakest I've tried, a hour maximum

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

D&G: The One
    Man Eu Fraiche
    Dior Higher and Dior Higher Energy
    Polo Blue and Polo Black
    Lavin Homme
    Just about any sport fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    Less than 3 hours:
    John Varvatos
    It's not a longevity monster, but I easily get 6 hours from it. The problem is it's linear (at least on me it sure is). By the three hour mark, I'm bored with it, but it's still very much there.