Code of Conduct

Default Two Vetivers – A True to Nature Question

I love vetiver with Givenchy Vetyver and Chanel Sycomore being favorites, but I'd like to have a more raw vetiver as an alternate go to.

Having read a good number of BN threads and reviews, I'm left with a question.

Between either ETRO Vetiver or Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Route du Vetiver, which one is closer to its original formulation? (I can only select one, and I'm comfortable with the price points of these two.)

Your recommendations are sincerely appreciated.
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Two Vetivers – A True to Nature Question

To answer your question, Etro Vetiver. I find the current formulation of Route du Vetiver to be quite different from the original formulation - and not in a good way.

But if you can find vintage Route du Vetiver though, I would go for that.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I'd personally go for the MPG even if I only had the chance to test the current formulation. While I smelled both Etro vintage and current versions and found them to be reasonably similar, the MPG has definitely a rougher vibe. Extremely earthy, raw, uncompromising. The Etro is still a top notch among straight forward vetivers, but nowhere close to Route Du Vetiver IMO.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

in the same price range, you might want to add Lorenzo Villoresi Vetiver to your list of considerations. If money were no object, I'd also voice strong support for Profumum Fumidus. It's about as raw as you can get, and would not please everybody. I don't think I've ever tried Etro's version and I only have vintage Route du Vetiver, which is indeed as great as everybody says.

I'll agree with Tonyprince that Villoresi's Vetiver is quite strong and raw.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

In spite of the name, Chopard Vetiver Noble is in fact a very raw, grassy, almost oily and sappy vetiver, hardly any vetiver fragrance could smell more naturally

+3 for Villoresi Vetiver a very unique and unusual vetiver product!
    Turtle Vetiver from LesNez is raw natural from the earth
    Vetiver Bourbon by Miller Harris - "dark and deep with promises to keep" natural vetiver

Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Route du Vetiver

I think you are asking two different questions here - one is about which of two completed fragrances you should buy and I'm not qualified to help with that as I don't know them. The other is about which perfumes are most 'true to nature' as you put it in the thread title. I'd suggest neither of them is likely to be 'true to nature' - I offer what I call The Simple Essence of Vetiver - basically just alcohol and vetiver oil - that's as true to nature as it is possible to be. However it's not really a fragrance as most people understand the term, I would recommend that only for layering although I know some of my customers like to use it as a single note.

You won't want to mess about importing my offering but I'd recommend that you buy some vetiver oil (it's not expensive and widely available) and smell that: if you love it then you know you really do like your vetiver pure and true: more likely you'll find it a bit disappointing in which case you know that you want a perfumer to have used it as part of a composition that isn't really true to nature but perhaps seems even more raw than the real thing if that makes any sense.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation I’m happy to quote: if you want free advice, that’s what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

As Chris was saying, it seems you are asking different questions. I have never smelled true vetiver (grass or oil). In his book, LT claims that Vetiver Extraordinaire comes closer to capturing the smell of true vetiver roots (the roots, not the oil).

I do indeed love VE, fresh, dry, and rooty at the same time.

cacio

Mona di Orio Vetyver

Guest05

Last edited by Guest05; 10th March 2012 at 05:19 AM.

I would go with Mona Di Orio Vetyver

Thank you all for your kind replies.

I can see where my thread title could be misleading. It should have been titled something like, Two Vetivers - True to Their Original Formulation Question, but I erred on the side of brevity.

Regardless, I’m deeply impressed with the responses and am appreciative of the time taken to answer the thread.

As someone starting out, I find reading previous threads and reviews a really great way to learn, but in the back of my mind lurks the question whether the current perfume is essentially the same as that referenced in earlier posts. It seems that sometimes in the relatively short period of a year or two that a reformulation may alter the ‘scent-scape’ significantly.
    Let me again say, ‘Thank You’ for taking the time to help inform and educate me.
    “interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art.” - Susan Sontag

I have smelled (thanks to a very sweet BNer) the vintage MPG Route du Vetiver and the current formulation.
    There is material difference between the two. That doesnt mean the current is bad, au contraire it might better suit some as the vintage was truly a challenging beast of a vetiver. This is coming from a true vetiver fan.

I wasn't aware Etro reformulated their vetiver. I have the current one which is also good and quite closely resembles Turtle Vetiver Project.

I also have Vetiver by Lorenzo Villoresi which I love because of his personal earthiness accord.

IMO, you need to try several of these to decide which one(s) suit you.

Its good that you realize that the Givenchy and the Chanel are toned down (albeit very good) vetiver based perfumes because the ones we've suggested are very different than those two.

Between the Etro and the MPG I would select the MPG but in essence I need both as they are different in their own respective statures.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Fhaoilgeal View Post

As someone starting out, I find reading previous threads and reviews a really great way to learn, but in the back of my mind lurks the question whether the current perfume is essentially the same as that referenced in earlier posts. It seems that sometimes in the relatively short period of a year or two that a reformulation may alter the ‘scent-scape’ significantly.
    Let me again say, ‘Thank You’ for taking the time to help inform and educate me.
    A reformulation is not always a bad move. Some people may prefer the toned down vetiver of the current MPG to the vintage. I was back and forth on Route du Vetiver since I read that the vintage was better. Luckily a kind member sent me a sample of the vintage formulation to which I compared with the current and decided that I'd rather wait for the vintage to show up somewhere than get the current. My wife said she would be happy with any version.
    So apparently preferences or thresholds differ.

for swap/sale:

Etro Vetiver is better. Great fragrance! Earthy, raw, dry