Code of Conduct

Default Horrible smelling experience

I want to share with you my unpleasant smelling experience of today.

I live in Amsterdam, Holland. I’m a niche perfume beginner and today I went to ‘Le Maquilleur’, a shop in Haarlem not far from Amsterdam (google it) for the first time.
    It is a privately owned perfume shop. They appeared to have a much more extensive collection than advertised on their website. I mean, the most extensive in all of Holland that I know of. Biehl’s, Histoires de Parfums, Escentric Molecules, Ineke, Etro, Eau d’Italie, etc., etc.

The owner and wife were present, both mid 50s, no other customers. I gave some compliments about their collection and checked out the shop. I asked them if I could smell some things that I had read about. Mr owner, very uninterested and looking past me at the door all the time, sprayed some on papers as I asked. He did not try to sell me anything although he offered some things to smell that I did not ask for. He showed a total lack of passion for his profession. After about maybe 12 tries, I asked if I could have some spays on my arm. He was not very happy, but did as I asked.
    In the end I was so unsure about what to buy, overwhelmed by the amount of bottles on sale and put off by Mr owner’s attitude, that I did not by anything. I thanked the couple again, giving compliments about their stock, and the man said, and I quote: This was the last time, I hope I never see you again.

It sounds like a bad joke, but I was shocked and I felt very bad. I still don’t get his reaction. I know we Dutchies can be quite rude but I never experienced something like this, ever. I sent them an email for an explanation when I got home. I will post the reply, if I get any.

Did any of you ever had such a bad experience?

Default Re: Horrible smelling experience

That's pretty awful! Unfortunately it may happens and when it happens the solution is to never, ever come back to the shop. They can easily take their wonderful collection and put it....

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Sorry to hear about that unpleasant experience you had.

I'm not surprised he doesn't have any customers, that's outrageous. I wouldn't do business with them purely on his attitude alone.

You should show up again, and bring several of your friends, and do lots and lots of sampling, and then leave without buying anything.

Such arrogance.

And the worst part: sounds like they have a nice collection. Too bad it's wasted on a-hole shop keepers.

How mean! It's so sad to hear how ungenerous in spirit some people can be. They should have known that you were in the market to buy, and very likely repeatedly, by your interest in sampling their stock. You reap what you sow and I'm unsurprised that their shop was empty. Try to put it behind you, I'm sure you'll find friendlier places to carry out your niche adventures.
    I'll always make time for cats and roses

My great loves:
    Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleue, Caron Pour un Homme, Dune, Fat Electrician, Oxford and Cambridge, Eau de Campagne, Elixir des Merveilles, Sarrasins, MKK, Ambre Sultan, Tocade, Dzing!

Current obsessions:
    Le Temps d'Une Fête, Tom of Finland, Jasmin et Cigarette, Dirty (not dirty at all )

"Perfume is an invisible art form, and yet one of the most evocative and personal."

Who knows how he was perceiving the situation. Still, it's inexcusable.

Go talk to him. Good communication usually solves everything.
    Last edited by pluran; 3rd September 2011 at 11:53 PM.

Hillaire

Were the first words from your mouth, "Gee whiz, I sure wish I could afford one these fancy toilet waters! Well, at least I get to smell 'em all for now!" ?

Just kidding, that guy is a total a**. And he should know by now that those folks who are most interested in perfume are the best potential customers to groom; even if they aren't the money-droppers, their word of mouth and inclination to return are invaluable.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    ...........And he should know by now that those folks who are most interested in perfume are the best potential customers to groom; even if they aren't the money-droppers, their word of mouth and inclination to return are invaluable.
    And if not then hopefully he'll learn pretty fast.

Wow that was harsh.
    You said he was uninterested in his profession. I doubt it's his profession. It's his trade. and apparently , being the owner, he decided it would be worth it to be rude to you than to make money from you. So either he is so rich and established that u could afford to lose you as a customer or he doubted you would he a customer in the end.

for swap/sale:

Now it becomes clear as to why the shop was empty

What a dreadful experience!! It makes me wonder if something is very wrong in the shop owner's life right now for him to treat you so poorly. Not that it is an excuse. But sometimes people's bad behavior has nothing to do with our interaction with them, and everything to do with what kind of day they are having when we cross their path. I hope you get an answer to your email and an apology along with a nice discount for your next purchase.

Also, I agree with the assessment above. This person does not sound like he loves what he does. If he did, he would've understood your interest and desire to sample.

Basenotes Plus

The shop you went to really wasn't a perfume store- it was a front for an international drug smuggling operation. I can think of no other explanation as to how poorly you were treated. Seriously, do not spend any money there.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

i (almost) feel a bit sorry for the guy. he clearly doesn't have a very nice life at the moment.

luckily for you and me, there are plenty of great perfumeries in amsterdam. go check the 'amsterdam' threads on this board.

Thank you guys for your supporting words.
    Day after and I still cannot get over this guy's reaction. I mean, he was really angry and it was said in a mean spirit. I felt like I was being accused of shoplifting or something and it made me feel silly about my enthusiasm for perfumes. There was absolutely no reason for it. I hope I receive a reply to my email but I'm not counting on it. And a discount on my next purchase? That would be the most un-Dutch thing ever and I still would not go to them. Luckily there are some very good shops in Amsterdam with wonderful staff (my favorites: Skins Cosmetics, Babassu, Parfumerie Louise, Pafumerie Marjo, Bijenkorf). I will keep you updated when I receive a reply to my email!
    Thanks again guys.

Sorry for what happened and sorry to post so belated

My take on this situation: fragrances and fragrance retail are highly public and highly interactive business, if the owner is unwilling to understand the dynamics of attending, genuinely interested, mannered and informative to his customer base, his loss- I am certain great niche, as well as designer fragrance stores will not just be delighted to welcome you with more welcoming arms, but also do the best to keep and cherish you as their customer

OMG that is awful! What a d*ck! I have to say that knit-at-nite reply was very funny and probably true! I sample niche all the time and they all understand you have to walk around for a while with a scent before purchasing any. Their loss!

That is the most shameful behavior for a retailer that I have ever heard! It's utterly unconscionable for him to say something so mean-spirited, tasteless and rude as that to an innocent potential patron and I would be completely OUTRAGED at this. Personally, I would confront this pompous ass, either personally or by phone. Who in the Hell does he think he is? Jeez...I feel for you! No one should walk into a store with cheer in their heart and come out feeling hurt. This guy needs to be punished in some way.

Death.

I hate reading stories like this. Sadly they always come from small-time, high end retailers, and invariably the culprits are the owners. I feel much safer shopping at department stores, and I ever get a weird vibe from any middle-aged shop assistant I always leave. One bad experience will scar you for life (mine happened 12 years ago at a clothes store! still think about it from time to time time)
    Small retailers always complain that they are being done out of buisness by the big guys, but people like these are certainly hastening their own demise

Last edited by Descartes; 6th June 2012 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
    I visited the shop quite a few times and I experienced the same arrogance attitude by his owner, he was never impolite to me although I was helped by a very friendly woman,he is an idiot and a CS. Tell all your friends to visit the shop and test all the juices....
    What's CS stand for.

for swap/sale:

Last edited by Descartes; 8th December 2011 at 06:31 AM.

ahhh peaCock Sucker type of lollipop LOL got it

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by Descartes View Post
    I visited the shop quite a few times and I experienced the same arrogance attitude by his owner, he was never impolite to me although I was helped by a very friendly woman,he is an idiot and a CS. Tell all your friends to visit the shop and test all the juices....
    Well, I sent them a reminder by email on Tuesday (visit was Saturday) that I would find it appropriate that they would reply to my email. Of course they haven't till now.

In the meantime I asked some friends who live in Haarlem about this shop and they have had similar experiences. Apparently this owner is a total nut job. For example, my friend once went in to buy a refill for Voyage d'Hermès for another friend. When he kindly requested to wrap the box up as a present, the arrogant reply was: 'huh, it's only a refill'. Things like that happen there all the time so be warned, enter at your own risk, it's a different reality in there.

By the way, Haarlem is a lovely historic city and perfect for an afternoon of shopping when visiting Amsterdam. It's only 10 minutes from there by train.

He needs to hire a salesperson, LOL! That is obviously a case of false economy if he has no customer service skills and thinks the shop will be more profitable if he does the "selling" and saves himself the salary of a good salesperson.

Last edited by Descartes; 8th December 2011 at 06:30 AM.

I'm going to Amsterdam in a couple of months. I think I might pay a visit and be the customer from hell! I have laid into many a snooty sales assistant (not confined to high-end perfume outlets) in my time while my husband and son look on cringing with embarrassment. I don't mind indifferent, bored SAs, etc., but will not tolerate downright rude ones. I particularly like making a scene in a shop full of customers - it's absolutely hilarious because most SAs think you will just put up with their attitude without a murmur and don't expect you to fight back. Don't let them get away with it. I believe strongly in confronting staff directly about shoddy service, and I also make a point of saying when I think service has been excellent. I'm not aggressive - just very firm and very assertive, and also very thick-skinned.

this is kind of fun.

we really should plan a time and date and then enter his store with as many basenoters as possible, not as a group (to him) but as individuals customers. picture all of us asking to smell this and this and that. if he behaves well, he might even sell a thing or two, but i wouldn't count on that. if he doesn't, can you image? he will find himself in serious trouble. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by devilcat View Post
    I'm going to Amsterdam in a couple of months. I think I might pay a visit and be the customer from hell! I have laid into many a snooty sales assistant (not confined to high-end perfume outlets) in my time while my husband and son look on cringing with embarrassment. I don't mind indifferent, bored SAs, etc., but will not tolerate downright rude ones. I particularly like making a scene in a shop full of customers - it's absolutely hilarious because most SAs think you will just put up with their attitude without a murmur and don't expect you to fight back. Don't let them get away with it. I believe strongly in confronting staff directly about shoddy service, and I also make a point of saying when I think service has been excellent. I'm not aggressive - just very firm and very assertive, and also very thick-skinned.
    I like.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by gido View Post
    this is kind of fun.

we really should plan a time and date and then enter his store with as many basenoters as possible, not as a group (to him) but as individuals customers. picture all of us asking to smell this and this and that. if he behaves well, he might even sell a thing or two, but i wouldn't count on that. if he doesn't, can you image? he will find himself in serious trouble.
    Haha. A Basenotes Flash Mob! Interesting idea...

Quote Originally Posted by edescally View Post
    Haha. A Basenotes Flash Mob! Interesting idea...
    You should really do it!

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

What a douchebag that owner is. I would get even in some way...call me immature. I would get a friend to in the shop and start to make several very expensive purchases, but it must be from the owner. To let the owner know he is serious, I would even have him/her count money in front of the owner to figure out exactly how many bottles he/she can purchase. Then at the register, while the owner is totalling everything, have your friend say, "Wait, I have a good friend who is a fragrance reviewer, let me check with him to see if he needs anything." Then while on the phone with you, have your friend say, "I'm at Le Maquiller, why" then have him say "this is that shop that gave you that horrible service?! That one you wrote about on that famous fragrance website?!" Then have your friend say he would never buy anything from a shop that treats people so poorly, and proceed to walk out without a thing after getting the owner all hot and bothered with a huge order. I would even have a few more friends go in and say to the owner, "Help me?! Oh heavens no, I just had to see what you (the owner) looked like after reading about your horrible service online."
    Yes, I"m horribly passive agressive and a tad vindictive, but there is no way I would let that owner get away with that!

OP Have you had a email reply yet?

I don't think the owner has studied his own profession very well. When owning a niche perfume store you should realise people will review your store on sites like this.
    There are quite a few dutch posters here, so this isn't very good advertisement at all.

I am planning to visit the shop sometime this month and test every single fragrance on the shelves then leave.

According to their website they are closed by now. Justice has been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristram View Post
    According to their website they are closed by now. Justice has been done.
    Haha, brutal.

In all fairness, If that's their attitude to business, I'm not surprised...

Anyone notice that this thread's from 2011 - it's been dormant for two years now!

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Anyone notice that this thread's from 2011 - it's been dormant for two years now!
    Yeah, dormant. But there is an end to this story - two years later. Why not tell the end?

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Yeah, I was surprised to see an email in my inbox saying there's been an update on this thread.