Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 22 of 22
  1. #1

    Default Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    When I tested Creed Himalaya it had an distant ice cold metallic smell that reminded me of snow. It was a very interesting a refreshing scent which made me decide to buy a bottle.

    However, my bottle of Creed Himalaya from neiman marcus smells a lot more floral than what I tested, almost what an old lady would smell like. The distant cool, ice and snow scent is not there. Obviously there is a lot of variance between bottles. I'm thinking of returning it for original vetiver, but I'd like to somehow find a bottle of himalaya that smells like the tester did. Are there specific lots that are better than others?

  2. #2
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    East of The Mississippi
    Posts
    76,806

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    I have personally never noticed any variation from one bottle to another.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I have personally never noticed any variation from one bottle to another.
    hmm. Maybe I'm not remembering the tester correctly. I had bought MI that day but Himalaya was on my mind for months so I ordered it as well. However the scent differed as I remembered himalaya to be more ice cold and metallic rather than floral.

  4. #4

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    When I tested Creed Himalaya it had an distant ice cold metallic smell that reminded me of snow. It was a very interesting a refreshing scent which made me decide to buy a bottle.
    This sounds exactly like Silver Mountain Water, not Himalaya. To me Himalaya is pepper and soap.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Armani Prive Oud Royale_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud Musk______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire

  5. #5
    Basenotes Junkie Sidney_Falco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    City of Angels/helL.A.
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    This sounds exactly like Silver Mountain Water, not Himalaya. To me Himalaya is pepper and soap.
    ^This. That metallic note you referred to is far more consistent with the smell of SMW than Himalaya. The similarities between the bottle colors of these two are more similar than other Creeds so it's very easy to get them mixed up. Just as a future note though, if you try a tester of Creed, it's helpful to jot down the batch number for reference if you liked it or didn't like it as their is some variation between batches, albeit far less so with Himalaya than other Creeds. Especially if you're going to buy a Creed from a dept store rather than online, if you like what you smelled from the tester, you're better off just buying a bottle on the spot

  6. #6

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    Yeah, SMW is more metallic....and a much better fragrance IMO. Although, I can't stand Himalaya.

  7. #7

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    SMW is quite metallic or ink smelling. I think that's what you tested.

    It is sold in a solid white bottle. Himalaya is sold is a solid silver bottle.

  8. #8

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    This sounds exactly like Silver Mountain Water, not Himalaya. To me Himalaya is pepper and soap.
    Should I return Himalaya and get Silver Mountain Water? My nose thinks Himalaya is OK, but then again I'm a fragrance newbie so I may not be appreciating it properly.

  9. #9

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    Quote Originally Posted by MIHMOV View Post
    Should I return Himalaya and get Silver Mountain Water? My nose thinks Himalaya is OK, but then again I'm a fragrance newbie so I may not be appreciating it properly.
    You might be able to throw yourself at their mercy and beg ignorance that you screwed up Himalaya with Silver Mountain Water. But make damn sure Silver Mountain Water is the one you thought you wanted. We don't want to reading another thread with "I thought I liked Himalaya, but it might have beeen Silver Mountain Water so I returned my Himalaya......"

  10. #10

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    First of all I assume OP can read, and so there is zero chance that he accidentally purchased a bottle of Silver Mountain Water.

    I think what you have, OP, is a bottle of Himalaya that still has its top notes. What is the lot number on this bottle? It's on the box and back (or bottom) of the bottle.

  11. #11

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    To the OP: Please post a pic of your bottle.
    -

  12. #12

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9 View Post
    First of all I assume OP can read, and so there is zero chance that he accidentally purchased a bottle of Silver Mountain
    if you re-read post #3, a considerable amount of time elapsed from when he sniffed what he thought was Himalaya in the store and when he went back and bought it. I am suggesting he may have smelled several scents including Himalaya and Silver Mountain Water and not remembered that SMW is what he liked; confused it with Himalaya. They both have solid opaque bottles.

  13. #13

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    Never expect one Creed to smell the same when going from one bottle to another.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    To the OP: Please post a pic of your bottle.
    Agreed. please do this.

  15. #15
    Basenotes Junkie Sidney_Falco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    City of Angels/helL.A.
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    Quote Originally Posted by MIHMOV View Post
    Should I return Himalaya and get Silver Mountain Water? My nose thinks Himalaya is OK, but then again I'm a fragrance newbie so I may not be appreciating it properly.
    Go try Silver Mountain Water and then decide, there's a chance that neither are the one that you remember smelling and maybe it was something else that you tried the same day you tried one of these in stores. That's happened to me once or twice where I'll try so many different fragrances at once that I'll forget which one it was that I really liked or disliked several weeks later and have to retrace trying a number of those fragrances again to determine which one it was. Either way, both SMW and Himalaya cost too much for you to not be 100% satisfied with your purchase so the fact that Himalaya just smells "ok" does not justify keeping in my book

  16. #16

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    I have a full bottle of Himalaya, a large decant and several samples. They all smell slightly different, especially the top notes. One of the carded samples smells best (at least to me) because it contains the biggest amount of that trademark Himalaya synthetic musk note.

    I did experience the same kind of variations with Silver Mountain Water.

  17. #17

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    Quote Originally Posted by hedgehog View Post
    I have a full bottle of Himalaya, a large decant and several samples. They all smell slightly different, especially the top notes. One of the carded samples smells best (at least to me) because it contains the biggest amount of that trademark Himalaya synthetic musk note.

    I did experience the same kind of variations with Silver Mountain Water.
    I can totally see this. My millesime imperial that I bought smelled much better than the tester (which was already a great scent). The tester had more of a flat salty smell, whereas mine gets a wonderful vibrant watermelon note on the initial spray. I was hoping that by paying more and going through neiman marcus that I'd get a great himalaya version. But it appears that certain bottles are good whereas others are just absolutely awesome. If you get the awesome version, you just fall in love with the scent and spend the rest of the time looking for that same experience on subsequent bottles.

    There's probably no way to know what you're getting unless you buy the tester outright. I'm probably going to keep the himalaya but get Silver Mountain Water and original vetiver to round out my creed collection.

  18. #18
    Basenotes Junkie Sidney_Falco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    City of Angels/helL.A.
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    Quote Originally Posted by MIHMOV View Post
    I can totally see this. My millesime imperial that I bought smelled much better than the tester (which was already a great scent). The tester had more of a flat salty smell, whereas mine gets a wonderful vibrant watermelon note on the initial spray. I was hoping that by paying more and going through neiman marcus that I'd get a great himalaya version. But it appears that certain bottles are good whereas others are just absolutely awesome. If you get the awesome version, you just fall in love with the scent and spend the rest of the time looking for that same experience on subsequent bottles.

    There's probably no way to know what you're getting unless you buy the tester outright. I'm probably going to keep the himalaya but get Silver Mountain Water and original vetiver to round out my creed collection.
    Not to thread hijack but what is your batch number of MI and where did you purchase from?

  19. #19

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    Quote Originally Posted by Sidney_Falco View Post
    Not to thread hijack but what is your batch number of MI and where did you purchase from?
    Is it safe to give out the batch number over the internet?

  20. #20
    Basenotes Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles and Stockton, CA
    Posts
    88

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    Be careful giving out batch numbers over the Internet. If "they" get this info along with the name of the watch you're wearing your fashion identity could be stolen. It's a pain to correct your GQ scores when this happens. Credit gets ruined.

    Better to be safe!

  21. #21

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    Quote Originally Posted by MIHMOV View Post
    Is it safe to give out the batch number over the internet?
    Only if you want your identity stolen, your house robbed by the Crypts (or maybe the Bloods) and your wife raped by terrorists.

  22. #22
    Basenotes Junkie Sidney_Falco's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    City of Angels/helL.A.
    Posts
    732

    Default Re: Creed Himalaya smells different from tester

    Everyone calm down, I only want the batch numbers. Just hand them over nice and easy and nobody has to get hurt.

Similar Threads

  1. Creed Himalaya vs Creed Santal Imperial
    By Schark in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 23rd May 2010, 01:15 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •