Code of Conduct

Default Has anyone ever used rice stalk ashes to wash their hair?

When I was little, my mom told me that she used to watch her grandmother collect the leftover rice stalks from the fields after harvest. She would burn them, then mix them with water. Then after straining out the ashes, she'd use the water as a shampoo. She said it made her hair very soft.

It would make sense to use ash, as it provides alkalinity. But does it provide anything that a typical store-bought shampoo cannot provide?
    "Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere." -- Inselaffe

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: Has anyone ever used rice stalk ashes to wash their hair?

My local supermarket is fresh out

Sounds logical though.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Thanks for asking about this Aiona. I never heard of such a thing, but I'm more than just a little intrigued and hoping to learn more as others contribute.

From http://www.99bali.com/spa/thestory/a...air_story.html :

"Merang Hair Treatment

In the wonderful world of nature , beauty picks up where agriculture leaves off : watermelon rinds and papaya skins, for example, do a great turn as a face mask before being consigned to the bin. Another great example where beauty thrives offnatures cast-offs is redundant rice crops (merang) which keep grey hair at bay. The merang head treatment has been practised throughout tropical Asia for centuries.

The only spa offering merang is the Spa at Hotel Tugu, Bali. In fact, this spa offers the most comprehensive range of such real, rural remedies.

Ingredients : one handful: merang - burnt rice paddy stalks one small bowl: water.

Steps : Soak the burnt rice stalks in the water overnight so that the ash comes loose and dissolves. Strain several times and keep the water. Pour thisinky liquid onto the head and rub into the scalp. Watch it foam like shamppo. The liquid has cleansing properties and acts as tonic. Your head will feel tingly and our hair soft and-clean. Any grey hairs will be dyed a darker shade Although you do not need to have black hair for this treatment, blondes should not experiment! Locals claim that this treatment is most effective when regularly applied."

Quote Originally Posted by Aiona View Post
    When I was little, my mom told me that she used to watch her grandmother collect the leftover rice stalks from the fields after harvest. She would burn them, then mix them with water. Then after straining out the ashes, she'd use the water as a shampoo. She said it made her hair very soft.

It would make sense to use ash, as it provides alkalinity. But does it provide anything that a typical store-bought shampoo cannot provide?
    Wherr did your grandmother grow up.

for swap/sale: