Code of Conduct

Default Amouage Men's Miniature Set

Ok, guys, hear me out.

I've searched the site, and haven't found a thread that answers my question specifically (as far as I can see).

Here's the information:
    1. I never blind buy
    2. I've tested most of the Amouages.
    3. I have definitely tested the six Amouages in the sampler set (Lyric, Gold, Silver, Dia, Jubilation XXV, and Reflection)
    4. Three of these were on my wishlist already, two of the others I like, and only one was kinda "meh" for me.
    5. The set comes in an attractive box containing the 6 fragrances in 7.5ml miniature bottles.
    6. the set costs about $260.00 USD
    7. Even though I never blind buy, sometimes, when I've bought a full bottle, I feel differently about the fragrance than I did in the testing period, or find that it's not as versatile as i'd hoped, etc.

Knowing all this, do you recommend that I just collect my wishlist in 50ml bottles one at a time, or spring for the miniatures set?

Thank in advance.

*EDIT: I already own one bottle of Amouage, and it's EPIC. Honour Man sampler is on the way...I've tested all the rest (I think).
    Last edited by lionheart; 5th September 2011 at 07:14 PM.
    My Top 5!!!
    1. 1740: Marquis de Sade, Histoires de Parfums
    2. Sweet Redemption, by Kilian
    3. Tirrenico, Profumi del Forte
    4. Je Suis un Homme, Etat Libre d'Orange
    5. Derby, Guerlain

"Coincidence is God's way of winking." --Me

"It's alright to flirt with the idea of giving up, so long as you don't." --Me

Default Re: Amouage Men's Miniature Set

Quote Originally Posted by lionheart View Post
    Knowing all this, do you recommend that I just collect my wishlist in 50ml bottles one at a time, or spring for the miniatures set?

Thank in advance.
    50ml bottles one at a time IMO (or 100ml if they come in that size)

Go for one bottle at a time and try to sample Epic and Honour if you get the chance. They are wonderful.

100 ml bottle of the one(s) you like (love) the most. 50ml of the one(s) you just like...pass on the rest...

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Go for the mini's. 50ml of one fragrance is way too much and 100ml is just down right ridiculous. You'll get tired of one frag. Variety is what's fun.

You don't want to be married to a scent, when you can have a harem.
    Last edited by thebeck; 5th September 2011 at 07:23 PM.

With such huge collection as yours you will rotate fragrances and eventually get bored with ANYTHING. So my advice is get mini set and if something keep you interested after that buy full bottle. The one that was "meh" sell on ebay.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

I think there are many people on the crystal flacon that sell decants cheaper. I would suggest going there.

Not going to post the full URL, but I remember I got mine from Mankind UK. I don't particularly rate that store any more, but they are one of the good guys in a bad bunch. Got my sampler set for 25 (GBP) delivered. I know for a fact they deliver to the US. You could have a look at that, but they might only contain those that you've tried. In which case, I would sample from the Perfumed Court or similar, US-based site.

Failing all that, you can't go wrong with a decant from one of the many reliable readers of this group, as has been suggested above.

Save. Not only the set is a worse deal (more $ per ml), but they don't have sprays!

7.5 ml might be too little of the ones you like, and too much of the ones you don't like. It's just not an efficient buy...best to save and get something more specific. That only you love them all equally and 7.5ml of each is enough for you.

I'm getting lots of great perspectives, guys, thanks!!!!!!!!!
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

I was going to say go ahead with the set, but some of the comments made me reconsider too. I own gold 100ml and Jub 50ml. And it is true that when I bought my amouages, I always got lots of samples, so if you don't see yourself wearing some of them, perhaps it makes sense just to have a small sample.

cacio

50ml bottles one at a time.

I want to say get the sampler set but the price is unreasonably high.
    Which ones are you interested in trying or would like to further try?
    I could possibly get you those samples from the boutique here.

for swap/sale:

I would do 50ml bottles...that's what my goal is for the Amouage scents I like. Although, part of that is the bottle collection...I love their bottles. Good luck with your decision.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I want to say get the sampler set but the price is unreasonably high.
    Which ones are you interested in trying or would like to further try?
    I could possibly get you those samples from the boutique here.
    You are so kind! I've actually got decants of all the male amouages, except honour, and it's on the way with my Luckyscent purchase. I just thought that, since Amouage is such (for me) a "special occasion" frag, that having six samples would kill several birds with one stone for a little over the price of one 50ml bottle. Right now, based on this thread, it feels kind of 50/50 to me.

You are so kind to offer, but I think I'm set in terms of sample. Cheers!
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

You are so kind! I've actually got decants of all the male amouages, except honour, and it's on the way with my Luckyscent purchase. I just thought that, since Amouage is such (for me) a "special occasion" frag, that having six samples would kill several birds with one stone for a little over the price of one 50ml bottle. Right now, based on this thread, it feels kind of 50/50 to me.

You are so kind to offer, but I think I'm set in terms of sample. Cheers!
    If you like them all more or less equally. then get the sampler set and six 10ml atomizers.

for swap/sale:

If you like them all more or less equally. then get the sampler set and six 10ml atomizers.
    My dear hedonist: I don't understand the "six 10ml atomizers" part. What would the six 10ml atomizers contain? (I know I should've been blonde.)

Wait for that matter, you say "sampler set." Do you mean as opposed to the miniature set? I'm sorry for making this so difficult. As Judge Judy sasy (my idol): "No good deed goes unpunished." LOL
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

It's cheaper per ml to get official samples from Parfums Raffy. The official 2ml *spray* samples are only $6 a piece - so $3 a ml, which is about the price of most full bottle Amouages anyway. Thus, you can "buy by the ml" just as much as you need of those you like. That's the way I'd go until you find one you LOVE. I always pick up bottles of the scents I absolutely love as I find it somehow far more enjoyable to spray from the actual bottle rather than a decant or sample. But during the process of whittling, I'd definitely go the official sample route.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    It's cheaper per ml to get official samples from Parfums Raffy. The official 2ml *spray* samples are only $6 a piece - so $3 a ml, which is about the price of most full bottle Amouages anyway. Thus, you can "buy by the ml" just as much as you need of those you like. That's the way I'd go until you find one you LOVE. I always pick up bottles of the scents I absolutely love as I find it somehow far more enjoyable to spray from the actual bottle rather than a decant or sample. But during the process of whittling, I'd definitely go the official sample route.
    great advice, thanks!
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

My dear hedonist: I don't understand the "six 10ml atomizers" part. What would the six 10ml atomizers contain? (I know I should've been blonde.)

Wait for that matter, you say "sampler set." Do you mean as opposed to the miniature set? I'm sorry for making this so difficult. As Judge Judy sasy (my idol): "No good deed goes unpunished." LOL
    Sorry shoulda been clearer.

If you do get the sampler set which is 6 perfumes of 7.5ml, you should also buy 6 empty atomizers from accessoriesforfragrances.com or so. This way you can fill the empty atomizers with the perfumes because the sampler set perfumes are dab only not spray.

I am referring to the 6 miniature bottles that cost $260.

for swap/sale:

Sorry shoulda been clearer.

If you do get the sampler set which is 6 perfumes of 7.5ml, you should also buy 6 empty atomizers from accessoriesforfragrances.com or so. This way you can fill the empty atomizers with the perfumes because the sampler set perfumes are dab only not spray.

I am referring to the 6 miniature bottles that cost $260.
    Gotcha! And luckily, I already have lots of atomizers from "best bottles," although I have to say that I am displeased at the quality. Some of them do not spray well at ALL, but it's not worth it to return the ones that aren't working. I should have done my homework better here. You have to buy $50 dollars worth of merchandise from them, so I really didn't pick wisely. Anyway, great advice, hedonist!
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Good advice. I would go this route if I were in your shoes.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

I swear I'm not posting this to bump this thread back up. I just want to thank everyone for giving me some GREAT food for thought. I'll let you know what I decide to do. You guys are the greatest!
    My Top 5!!!
    5. Derby, Guerlain