Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Default www.discountperfume.net.au - potential scam site

Hi all

I just received the following from Koala:

Also, could you please let other Australian members about a scam site? I was scammed a couple of days ago at a site called www.discountperfume.net.au
    I've been to the police and the bank and am going through the process to find the guy responsible. He goes by the name of David Tran or Hoang Tran. Just so you guys are aware.

Just a warning for you all.

Anyone else used this site and have feedback?

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: www.discountperfume.net.au - potential scam site

Hi Laph,

Yes, I was stung by this site in late 2008. I ordered a few items online and the money was debited from my bank account... but when nothing showed up after a few weeks, I tried unsuccessfully to find out what had happened. My emails went unanswered and a telephone number I tracked down for 'Pretty 4 Life' did not work.

I was able to get my money back by opening a PayPal dispute. I also reported the matter to Consumer Affairs Victoria, but by the time they got around to my case, I'd already gotten my refund. I told them that the website was still up and potentially ripping off other people, but they didn't seem willing or able to take any action.

If PayPal or the banks have to keep processing refunds because of this company, why aren't they doing something? Perhaps their hands are tied for some reason. Maybe I should have reported the matter to other authorities?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh My Goodness.... I ordered from this site because of the ridiculously low prices. I should have learned my lesson when it took 3 months for my order to come through. Needless to say numerous phone calls and emails were left unanswered. The guy that runs this site also runs a couple of other sites as well so buyer beware. I think this guy is a scammer so be very careful. Please do not buy from this person.

I'm going through a hell of a process at the moment to take this guy before a tribunal and have him charged. I can't believe the police are not doing anything about this guy. I've sent a letter from my solicitors and still nothing from this guy. I'm going to take things into my own hands and try to find this guy when I'm in Sydney next week myself.

This guy has been taking people's money for a long time and getting away with it and because it's being done on the internet the police see it as a grey area. It's got to stop.
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    I'm going through a hell of a process at the moment to take this guy before a tribunal and have him charged. I can't believe the police are not doing anything about this guy. I've sent a letter from my solicitors and still nothing from this guy. I'm going to take things into my own hands and try to find this guy when I'm in Sydney next week myself.

This guy has been taking people's money for a long time and getting away with it and because it's being done on the internet the police see it as a grey area. It's got to stop.
    Are you sure he's in Oz? The site's server seems to be in the US

http://website.informer.com/discountperfume.net.au
    Last edited by socalwoman; 30th October 2011 at 08:16 PM.

Yes, He's in Sydney. I've contacted the website provider in the States and they pointed me to the PO Box in Sydney. I'm going there next week to hunt him down. This guy can't keep doing this. I'm also surprised that the authorities do nothing about him. Crazy! I've got a bit of info from my solicitors and hopefully I can bring this to a close and stop this guy burning other folk.
    La vita breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took my money too, though after 2 months of emails with no response i threatened to get consumer affairs in on it, and i got a refund.

Thanks for bringing it to our attention Koala and Laph; hope you get that guy.

If you feel you have been scammed by this site, I'd recommend lodging a complaint with the NSW Office of Fair Trading and supplying as much evidence as possible. These government departments can't really pursue an offending retailer if they only have a single complaint, however if multiple legitimate complaints are made showing a pattern of failure, then they can consider taking legal action.

My partner was scammed by the site last year, and has lodged a complaint.

Note that as the site is housed in NSW, it has to be the NSW Office of Fair Trading.

Good luck to all!

Hi.
    I lodged a complaint last year with Qld Office Of fair trading. They contacted the seller on my behalf (all they can do unless they get enough complaints) - but no satisfactory outcome - no phone number of anything to call him up. It is extremely disappointing -wish i had done more research before purchasing thru discoutnperfume

I purchased some men's body lotions for birthday presents from this man. Received my confirmation of order which is dated 23rd August 2012 and as at 12th September 2012 nothing has appeared. He refused to communicate at all!
    I have phoned Paypal in the States and they were exceptionally efficient. I will be reimbursed by Paypal but I really do hope that this unethical person is caught. Yes "galoomph" I should have researched more, unfortunately the name is very close to an on line name that I use frequently without a problem.
    I DO NOT understand these office of Fair Trading at all.. this is obviously a scam and something should be done about it. Luckily I always use Paypal I find that the Americans are far more efficient and courteous in these matters!
    Last edited by tamartessie; 12th September 2012 at 09:13 AM.