Code of Conduct

Arrow Aveda Love ( original )

Hey everyone,

I was chatting with a friend the other day and he mentioned his love for a fragrance oil called Aveda Love ( pun intended).

They mentioned they had just finnished the last drop the night before () and wanted to seek out more. When I asked when purchased, he mentioned back in the 1980s ( .....and NOW its time to restock up on a favorite scent ?!).

I did some research and this is clearly out of production. There is a new version, but I don't think it will cut it...or will it ( I doubt it).

Seeing as this is a rose scented oil ( from what I have read), is their anything else close that I can steer him to ? The ebay prices for the orginal Aveda Love seem quite high

I look forward to reading your rec's and input. Thanks !

PS : An oil is prefered, but not the be all and end all.
    Last edited by Surfacing; 7th September 2011 at 12:29 AM. Reason: spelling
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Blog Entries

Default Re: Aveda Love ( original )

I just won an EBay auction for Aveda love...and the bidding did go up to around $100 for 30ml.
    I remember this scent from years ago (maybe the 1990's). I'll let you know when I smell it again, if there is a good dupe out there. There must be one.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

I don't know of any smell-alikes but no,the current version will not be up to par for your friend,I'm afraid.Love used to be a fantastic scent,it filled the air of Aveda salons and was so distinctive-once smelled,a never forgotten scent for those who loved it.I hope someone does know of a dupe!
    The nose wants what it wants!

I bought Love in 1991 for $20, as I recall there was a lot of ylang ylang in it.

Hillaire

It was my favorite Aveda scent, and the best by far.
    The only one that is close is Energizing,becuase of the ylang ylang with the camphorous top notes. I like it as well, but have noticed the latest version is very weak. Maybe older bottles of that are available?

Hillaire

I think that Shampure and Curessense have the same scent, if that helps. And I know they still sell those. It might be fun to use shampoo with that smell, if nothing else?

Smile Re: Aveda Love ( original )

Thanks so much for the reply's. They are helping. Keep them comming please.

Quote Originally Posted by firehorse View Post
    I bought Love in 1991 for $20, as I recall there was a lot of ylang ylang in it.
    Yes, I read about the ylang ylang. $20 sounds swell. So maybe paying close to $100 isn't bad, but I will have to tell my friend that. You have to know that telling a non BNer to spend that much on a fragrance can get you this look : !!
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Lol, I was just out of college when I plunked down the $20 for it, and at the time I was broke, so that $20 was a huge cost for me at the time. Then it smashed in my gym bag. Then I bought another, left it in a suitcase that got stolen, so I bought another. The third bottle sat in my medicine cabinet for over a decade. This thread prompted me to find it, ... and sadly, its gone. But I remember it well. It's one of those fragrances that grabbed me early on this olifactory journey. By the third bottle, I was so afraid to use it as I treasured it so much.

Lol, I was just out of college when I plunked down the $20 for it, and at the time I was broke, so that $20 was a huge cost for me at the time. Then it smashed in my gym bag....
    You really went against the grain when it came to the cliche of stinky BO gym bag.

... By the third bottle, I was so afraid to use it as I treasured it so much.
    That is the tough part with fragrances out of production or that are quite pricey. I think it shows how good of a fragrance Aveda Love is, considering how long you have liked it.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Blog Entries

Great thread. I just received mine in the mail this am...and it is not as dupe-able as I originally thought. It has a secret Aveda head-clearing camphorous-type top note that is unique. To me this is more of a citrus/sandal wood, than a ylang ylang scent. Here's what is printed on the box: Aveda's own pure-fume aroma with bergamot, certified organic ylang ylang, sustainably-sourced sandalwood, and other pure flower and plant essences. On the inside in french there is more info: ylang- ylang, jasmin, et rose organiques-et des aromes exotiques sensuels-bois de santal, oliban et myrrhe.I feel like there could easily be neroli or orange blossom in there, and that Aveda-signature yoga-smell(?). hmmmm....

The most wonderful for me about this scent is that it takes you right back to the time and place where you smelled it first...so nostalgic, and dated to a very cool time in fragrance history...when clean and pure and organic were coming into their own...
    Last edited by Fleurine; 7th September 2011 at 08:07 PM.

Hillaire

Great description, fleurine, and I love your point about the era, from which it comes.

yes, great description .... hmmm I want a bottle again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PerfumedLady View Post
    I don't know of any smell-alikes but no,the current version will not be up to par for your friend,I'm afraid.Love used to be a fantastic scent,it filled the air of Aveda salons and was so distinctive-once smelled,a never forgotten scent for those who loved it.I hope someone does know of a dupe!
    Thank you! It is the scent from the salons! I can't believe they changed their scent...when you compare this elegant little clean thing next to the smell of Lush, The Body Shop, Fresh...blah blah blah, Aveda really got it right the first time .There must be something well done in this category in Whole Foods, or somewhere...
    Last edited by Fleurine; 9th September 2011 at 01:57 AM.

Fleurine,yes it absolutely permeated the salons,it was rather strong and as Hillaire pointed out,Shampure&Curessence have the same scent.Between the Love bottles on the shelves and the heads being shampooed,the fragrance could not be escaped.When I started out as a cosmetologist in the 90's,a friend of mine was an Aveda salon owner(never worked for her,I did get to be her lucky model for lots of Aveda classes,though!).She sold many bottles of Love simply based on patrons walking in and asking "What smells so good?".I can't imagine what Aveda was thinking when they changed it.

I'm really enjoying reading the thoughts of everyone here. Thank you.

Strangely enough, back in the late 90s, I always thought my sisters Aveda products smelled great ( I don't think it would have been similar to Love, however). I've never owned any products from them and have never really wanted to enter an Aveda store. I have been really considering ordering stuff online.

Please share any more info you have or stories/personal thoughts on Love. I'll have to let my friend know that he will have to buck up and pay the heftier price for this out of production oil. I wonder, because it is an oil, that Love will stay intact as a fragrance longer than an alcohol based fragrance ?

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Oh, Aveda. Ever since Estee Lauder bought them, everything in the store smells like a geranium-heavy shampoo.

I loved Love, and still have my little bottle in my sock drawer because my other perfumes make fun of it. It's really pretty, ylang and sandalwood, oily and distinctly plant-ish without being too hippie. One of my dear friends wore it in college, and I still associate it with that early-twenties hormonal soup of discovering and trying on new ideas, close friendships and the freedom before adult responsibilities.

The closest I have smelled to it, I'm afraid, are Fire and Cream and L'invisible from Strange Invisible Perfumes. Those are great perfumes, and though expensive, I'd encourage your friend to try samples (the opening notes for all SIPs are very strange and you have to sit them out-- bitter and medicinal, but worth it for the drydown!). Good luck-- I can understand his hankering for it, that was a truly lovely scent.

PS-- I just realized I have the new version in the rollerball-- it's close enough, less rose and neroli, slightly more generic Aveda waft, but it's pretty close! Tell him to make haste to an Aveda store!
    Last edited by superdandelion; 9th September 2011 at 06:55 PM.

I can't add much about Love,other than I agree that all of Aveda's products have lost their original high quality since being sold.A real shame;the founders of this company were,at one time,people who cared more about ingredient quality and creative control than dollar signs.Not anymore.

When I sampled the new version of Love,I felt it was not at all the same as the original.Agree with Hillaire(again!)that Energizing is the closest thing to the old Love.So there you go-reason for your friend to at least sample the new version as we all have differing perceptions.

Re:buying Aveda(or any professional salon product line)online-we have a terribly out of control black market in the cosmetolgy industry.Those bottles of Redken,Paul Mitchell,etc. that you see in Wal-Mart,drugstores and such are also black market.Sometimes this means that up to half of the product has been removed and replaced with water(or worse)or sometimes they are outright fakes.Also can mean they are very old and no salon would sell them.Not to discourage you,as I know there are beauty product addicts out there who simply have bought too much and now need to sell.Just please be careful.Having said that,I used to love both Energizing and Calming,have never found a lavender I like better than Calming.Also,their bath and body line used to be quite good-they had a vetiver in that line that I was also crazy for-green and earthy with that signature Aveda camphorous note.Very good longevity for the body products,too.
    Last edited by PerfumedLady; 10th September 2011 at 05:38 PM.

....Re:buying Aveda(or any professional salon product line)online-we have a terribly out of control black market in the cosmetolgy industry.Those bottles of Redken,Paul Mitchell,etc. that you see in Wal-Mart,drugstores and such are also black market.Sometimes this means that up to half of the product has been removed and replaced with water(or worse)or sometimes they are outright fakes.Also can mean they are very old and no salon would sell them.Not to discourage you,as I know there are beauty product addicts out there who simply have bought too much and now need to sell.Just please be careful.Having said that,I used to love both Energizing and Calming,have never found a lavender I like better than Calming.Also,their bath and body line used to be quite good-they had a vetiver in that line that I was also crazy for-green and earthy with that signature Aveda camphorous note.Very good longevity for the body products,too.
    First, thank you for adding your thoughts about Aveda Love. Really appeciate it PL.

Second, thank you for that last paragraph ! Wow, that is interesting. I'll be careful. There are some beauty shops that carry Aveda and Paul Mitchel, so I will tough it out and go in to buy. I was actually thinking about originally ordering from F-Net. I appreciate your concern and you warning be.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

You're welcome!I promise I'm not trying to steer you toward giving your money to the salons;I ultimately went into the teaching side of the profession,so it's no skin off my bones if the salons lose some money!If you see someone on e-bay who looks like they have acquired more than they can use before it all goes bad,it's probably legitimate.And that route may be the only way to get hold of some of the pre-EL Aveda we've been talking about.
    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    I was actually thinking about originally ordering from F-Net.
    Curiosity got me and I just had to see what's going on over there!I'm getting two red flags:1.According to the pictures,what they have is post-EL buyout stock(I personally wouldn't want it after knowing what the products used to be).It isn't discounted by much;in this case you're better off to go into a salon,where you can sample.And 2.-While I don't think they're selling fakes(that I can tell)they would have had to come into this stock in a shady way.Only licensed cosmetology professionals are permitted to sell these items.Unfortunately,not everyone in this field behaves as a professional.

You're welcome!I promise I'm not trying to steer you toward giving your money to the salons;I ultimately went into the teaching side of the profession,so it's no skin off my bones if the salons lose some money!If you see someone on e-bay who looks like they have acquired more than they can use before it all goes bad,it's probably legitimate.And that route may be the only way to get hold of some of the pre-EL Aveda we've been talking about.

Curiosity got me and I just had to see what's going on over there!I'm getting two red flags:1.According to the pictures,what they have is post-EL buyout stock(I personally wouldn't want it after knowing what the products used to be).It isn't discounted by much;in this case you're better off to go into a salon,where you can sample.And 2.-While I don't think they're selling fakes(that I can tell)they would have had to come into this stock in a shady way.Only licensed cosmetology professionals are permitted to sell these items.Unfortunately,not everyone in this field behaves as a professional.
    Thanks again for the information. You make several helpful points. Safety is important. I'm a bit reckless ( well, I used to be) when buying fragrances from everywhere. But now I am much more careful. And something like hair products....well, it is better to be careful I think ( I agree with you).

I am far more familier with fragrances, than with hair products. I didn't even know Aveda was bought out ( until I read this thread).

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Blog Entries

double post
    Last edited by Fleurine; 11th September 2011 at 11:59 PM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by superdandelion View Post

I loved Love, and still have my little bottle in my sock drawer because my other perfumes make fun of it.
    Perfumes can be so mean sometimes.

Yes, it's very much reminiscent of wet wood, if that makes any sense. Earthy. But nice. I love it. Wish I didn't tip over my entire tube and empty it out!

No, not the perfumes. Just the perfumers.

Sometimes we have to pay high prices to get what we want.
    Last edited by Alvus; 16th August 2012 at 05:27 PM.