Code of Conduct

Default Wearing Musc Ravageur or New Haarlem around younger females???

Personally I like Musc Ravageur better than New Haarlem but I plan to purchase both bottles before the year is up. I was wondering if Musc Ravageur and New Haarlem are both great scents to wear around females who are age 18-25?

Default Re: Wearing Musc Ravageur or New Haarlem around younger females???

Are you trying to attract younger women or is this your social group?

Quote Originally Posted by YEAHBUDDY View Post
    Are you trying to attract younger women or is this your social group?
    My social age group.

I'm 21 and can't imagine wearing musc ravageur around my peers.
    The day I went to sample it with some female friends was one of the most embarrassing moments ever

Don't know... my experience with "niche" fragrances and young people is mixed. Some people put on strange faces asking What's that smell? others like the frags... and many younger girls (i'm 29 and i'm talking about the 19-25 range) thinks that everything that has a smell must be Jean Paul Gaultier.

I've used some niche crowd pleasers like MR, Tobacco Vanilla and Ambre Russe, and i've had to hear the same old comment: What's that smell on the air? ahhh it's Jean paul Gaultier! I love it"... sometimes is funny, most of the times, disappointing.

N.Cal, anyway, they should work... why not?

The sad thing is most "non perfumista" people is getting their nose too used to the new trendy smells of the designer market (today i tested L'Homme Libre, awful, and that's the smell type i'm refering to)

Not sure what sort of answer you are looking for, as every person is different. Not all women share the same taste in fragrance, any more than every man likes the exact same scents.

IMO, no.

If you are asking if they will like them, I'm saying generally yes. If you are asking if they will recognize them or that they are "more sophisticted" than your average designer scent - no

Quote Originally Posted by Tappio View Post
    Not sure what sort of answer you are looking for, as every person is different. Not all women share the same taste in fragrance, any more than every man likes the exact same scents.
    I agree with this, I don't expect all women (and men) to like one or both of these fragrance. Despite this I plan on buying both because I like them.

I was browsing through the threads and i didn't see much about MR and NH being worn around the younger crowds between late-teens through mid twenties.

Ok, just don't expect everyone to like them, but they are two of the most recognised crowd pleasers around here. Not the most challenging smells, they're cozy, warm, gourmandish... they won't be out of place between young people.

Musc Ravageur is a great scent IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    I agree with this, I don't expect all women (and men) to like one or both of these fragrance. Despite this I plan on buying both because I like them.

I was browsing through the threads and i didn't see much about MR and NH being worn around the younger crowds between late-teens through mid twenties.
    Gotcha. Well, just speaking in broad terms, I think both scents will be well received by most people. I like both quite a bit, and neither is likely to come across as offensive or weird, which can be the case with more challenging fragrances. I think most people will find these to be pleasant.

Musc Ravageur is far more risky than New Haarlem. If you want to please a broader group of people then New Haarlem is the way to go. Alternatively, the dry down on Musc ravageur is nice so spray it 2-3 hours before leaving the house.

They will prob like NH more. My gf said it smelled "yummy". Wear what you want, if they like Le Male they should like anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Blowe46 View Post
    Musc Ravageur is far more risky than New Haarlem. If you want to please a broader group of people then New Haarlem is the way to go. Alternatively, the dry down on Musc ravageur is nice so spray it 2-3 hours before leaving the house.
    I would wear New Haarlem on a more casual occasion like going to class, going to work, and going out day or night. Musc Ravageur I would wear solely nights out to the clubs, bars, and intimate occasion. I would be more restricted with MR than NH when it comes to occasions.

New Haarlem should work out great, a sickly sweet coffee concoction. Musc Ravageur is quite a bit more iffy. It certainly has potential, but, it can be potentially off setting too. I wouldn't chance MR and I would go light on NH.

I have received a lot of compliments from younger women on both... I am 33. Most younger women that I have had the pleasure of " meeting " have loved New Haarlem. I was told that I smell like IHOP. Musc Ravageur has had mostly positive responses but some negative. IMO you cannot go wrong with either of these two scents because they are great scents that are also big compliment getters with the ladies.

It all depends on the setting, and the girl obviously. For the laid back bar/lounge with pool table, this will work. MR might be a little strange in the club; and I would not wear it on a first date. Both are amazing fragrances but IMO New Haarlem will "put off" a smaller percentage of people, and I get compliments like crazy with this one (including women in that age group), so I would generally reach for NH for your scene and save MR for special situations.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    It all depends on the setting, and the girl obviously. For the laid back bar/lounge with pool table, this will work. MR might be a little strange in the club; and I would not wear it on a first date. Both are amazing fragrances but IMO New Haarlem will "put off" a smaller percentage of people, and I get compliments like crazy with this one (including women in that age group), so I would generally reach for NH for your scene and save MR for special situations.
    This.

The one day I tested MR - didn't go so well for me in this regard. (I'm 26)

I imagine most girls would find both scents pleasing (assuming MR is in drydown). I recently tried and enjoyed both of these, and MR is on my list of upcoming buys.

It's disheartening to think that many people (typically younger) prefer to smell the fresh aquatic scents that designers are pushing today instead of the more complex stuff that is available. At least with these two you should certainly smell different, and I think different is always a good thing as long different is still pleasant/good.

Also, if New Haarlem is going to be your everyday casual gourmand, I would personally get the MR first and pick up Rochas Man at the same time. I find Rochas fits the everyday gourmand role really well, and it'd be a cheap way to tide you over until you pick up New Haarlem. RM might also be better suited for the work/class setting, it won't scream out like I imagine NH might. I have yet to get anything but a glowing comment when wearing Rochas Man.

I've said this before and Ill always say it.
    The perfume doesnt wear you, you wear it.
    Its how you carry yourself that will determine what people think of it.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I've said this before and Ill always say it.
    The perfume doesnt wear you, you wear it.
    Its how you carry yourself that will determine what people think of it.
    I would agree with this about 90% of the time, but you have to admit that there are just some notes that not everyone is going to be wild about.

I mean, especially in the west (where we're typically not as daring with our choices), no matter how you carry yourself, how you project confidence, how much (whatever swaggeringly confident male adage can be placed here), there are just those out there who are not going to be that thrilled about the atomic clove bomb in MR's first two hours. Especially considering even a lot of experienced fragrance addicts on this board can't seem to agree with it themselves.

I know in the middle east where you have a long tradition and history with perfumes of all sorts, varieties, and strengths it will probably seem a bit too shy of a choice, but in the States I can imagine it not being as easily accepted in a few situations. Just my thoughts though.
    Last edited by Partario; 7th September 2011 at 04:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    I would agree with this about 90% of the time, but you have to admit that there are just some notes that not everyone is going to be wild about.

I mean, especially in the west (where we're typically not as daring with our choices), no matter how you carry yourself, how you project confidence, how much (whatever swaggeringly confident male adage can be placed here), there are just those out there who are not going to be that thrilled about the atomic clove bomb in MR's first two hours. Especially considering even a lot of experienced fragrance addicts on this board can't seem to agree with it themselves.
    I agree with you because the class of said social group also plays a major role.
    What have the individuals of this class been exposed to most of their lives? Supermarket and mass pleaser perfumes? Then maybe MR may not be very suitable.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I agree with you because the class of said social group also plays a major role.
    What have the individuals of this class been exposed to most of their lives? Supermarket and mass pleaser perfumes? Then maybe MR may not be very suitable.
    Exactly. Many haven't been around anything much more complex than Acqua Di Gio, Eternity, or any other sort of aquatic, so when they're hit for the first time with anything that doesn't smell like a bar of soap, they just can't wrap their head around it (in a bad sort of way). In America at least.

I don't even want to begin with Eastern Asia..........
    Last edited by Partario; 7th September 2011 at 04:18 AM.

I think New Haarlem would do a little better. I've worn it around several women in that age group and have always had good responses. I'm a little biased though, because I absolutely love NH.

Quote Originally Posted by Partario View Post
    Exactly. Many haven't been around anything much more complex than Acqua Di Gio, Eternity, or any other sort of aquatic, so when they're hit for the first time with anything that doesn't smell like a bar of soap, they just can't wrap their head around it (in a bad sort of way). In America at least.

I don't even want to begin with Eastern Asia..........
    It would be interesting to note the cultural differences in scent preference across geological areas. How is Eastern Asia different from the US? I would imagine the middle east is very different from both.

This thread probably isn't the place to discuss such things, but I'm curious how these preferences differ.

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    Definitely agree here, in the clubs though there would be a mixture between younger and older women. MR would more likely appeal to the older women "twenties and thirties" than younger women "early twenties".

People love you for who you are not what fragrance you wear. Actually, there's a girl who says every time how great I smell no matter what cologne I am wearing. And I am sure she will say it again even if I wear Angel Men, Sables or Gold Man - which have an odd smell on my skin. Girls who will like you will try to approach you by giving you a compliment on your fragrance no matter how bad it smells.
    I have been wearing MR since january this year, when I was 18, and now I am 19 and still no complains. I wonder why !?

Quote Originally Posted by PaveLL View Post
    I have been wearing MR since january this year, when I was 18, and now I am 19 and still no complains. I wonder why !?
    Because it's not impolite to tell someone that they smell good. As far as the reverse goes though, most people have the social tact to refrain from telling someone that they don't like the way they smell. Just something to consider.

Everyone should wear whatever they want. Just like every fragrance though, not everyone who thinks you smell great is going to tell you. And even far less people who think you smell terrible are going to tell you. Especially when you start wearing more challenging stuff.

Just think about it. Many people on this board have loads of stories about being stuck with a coworker/associate/whoever who doused themselves in either too much of a good thing or just enough of a bad one to really smell unpleasant. Yet most of these stories don't include one of us walking up to that person and saying, "Excuse me, but I just thought I should tell you that your perfume adds new definition to the word terrible."

PS: I'm not implying MR stinks or that you smell bad while wearing it. I'm just stating the possibilities.
    Last edited by Partario; 7th September 2011 at 06:19 AM.

I got your point and you are absolutely right but what I was trying to say is that I have not received complains about me being too young to wear it around females of my age for it smells too mature. Like hedonist said if you carry yourself as a man, then your perfume will be perceived as a male perfume - even if you wear one that is marketed to women - and will be appropriate for your age even if many people say about it that is for men above 30 years old.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

People in this age category tend to place a higher degree of importance on 'peer acceptance' than those aged 30 and above. If I were you I would proceed with caution & keep the sillage down, whether it is MR or NH. Unless the scent is impressive, many youngsters would just dismiss niche stuff as 'never heard of it' stuff. Don't go fishing for compliments here with fragrance as the bait.

And I agree with the observation - if a girl likes you she will find ways to compliment you.

I might suggest that you can ask directly this question to your taget group on Female Fragrance Discussion forum as well. The answers would be a great help to you!

Quote Originally Posted by PaveLL View Post
    I got your point and you are absolutely right but what I was trying to say is that I have not received complains about me being too young to wear it around females of my age for it smells too mature. Like hedonist said if you carry yourself as a man, then your perfume will be perceived as a male perfume - even if you wear one that is marketed to women - and will be appropriate for your age even if many people say about it that is for men above 30 years old.
    Ah, OK. I get what you're saying.

Quote Originally Posted by jss View Post
    I might suggest that you can ask directly this question to your taget group on Female Fragrance Discussion forum as well. The answers would be a great help to you!
    Good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by jss View Post
    I rarely frequent the female discussion board. There's probably a lot of good info in there, and maybe a different perspective that would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    I rarely frequent the female discussion board. There's probably a lot of good info in there, and maybe a different perspective that would be nice.

It's an interesting one because Basenoters do not represent the average crowd with regard to fragrances. The women on the female discussion forum are (probably) going to be into more "nicher" stuff than your average female.

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post

It's an interesting one because Basenoters do not represent the average crowd with regard to fragrances. The women on the female discussion forum are (probably) going to be into more "nicher" stuff than your average female.
    Probably true. I went fragrance shopping with a female friend recently, she pretty much hated everything I tried with the exception of HdP 1969 and Malle's L'Hiver.

It would've been nice to have someone a little more experienced and into fragrances than someone who said "why wear a scent at all, they make me sneeze and itch."

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post

That's very true. However that shouldn't give me a reason not to wear an amazing niche gourmand fragrance.

New Haarlem for younger women and MR for older. That doesn't mean an older woman wouldn't prefer New Haarlem or vice versa. I just feel that New Haarlem is more appealing to the younger crowd.