Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Just Starting Out Sponsor

Default Re: Wearing Musc Ravageur or New Haarlem around younger females???

Quote Originally Posted by PaveLL View Post
    I have been wearing MR since january this year, when I was 18, and now I am 19 and still no complains. I wonder why !?
    Because it's not impolite to tell someone that they smell good. As far as the reverse goes though, most people have the social tact to refrain from telling someone that they don't like the way they smell. Just something to consider.

Everyone should wear whatever they want. Just like every fragrance though, not everyone who thinks you smell great is going to tell you. And even far less people who think you smell terrible are going to tell you. Especially when you start wearing more challenging stuff.

Just think about it. Many people on this board have loads of stories about being stuck with a coworker/associate/whoever who doused themselves in either too much of a good thing or just enough of a bad one to really smell unpleasant. Yet most of these stories don't include one of us walking up to that person and saying, "Excuse me, but I just thought I should tell you that your perfume adds new definition to the word terrible."

PS: I'm not implying MR stinks or that you smell bad while wearing it. I'm just stating the possibilities.
    Last edited by Partario; 7th September 2011 at 07:19 AM.

I got your point and you are absolutely right but what I was trying to say is that I have not received complains about me being too young to wear it around females of my age for it smells too mature. Like hedonist said if you carry yourself as a man, then your perfume will be perceived as a male perfume - even if you wear one that is marketed to women - and will be appropriate for your age even if many people say about it that is for men above 30 years old.
    Currently wearing: Interlude Man by Amouage

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

People in this age category tend to place a higher degree of importance on 'peer acceptance' than those aged 30 and above. If I were you I would proceed with caution & keep the sillage down, whether it is MR or NH. Unless the scent is impressive, many youngsters would just dismiss niche stuff as 'never heard of it' stuff. Don't go fishing for compliments here with fragrance as the bait.

And I agree with the observation - if a girl likes you she will find ways to compliment you.

I might suggest that you can ask directly this question to your taget group on Female Fragrance Discussion forum as well. The answers would be a great help to you!
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by PaveLL View Post
    I got your point and you are absolutely right but what I was trying to say is that I have not received complains about me being too young to wear it around females of my age for it smells too mature. Like hedonist said if you carry yourself as a man, then your perfume will be perceived as a male perfume - even if you wear one that is marketed to women - and will be appropriate for your age even if many people say about it that is for men above 30 years old.
    Ah, OK. I get what you're saying.

Basenotes Institution N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jss View Post
    I might suggest that you can ask directly this question to your taget group on Female Fragrance Discussion forum as well. The answers would be a great help to you!
    Good idea.
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by jss View Post
    I rarely frequent the female discussion board. There's probably a lot of good info in there, and maybe a different perspective that would be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    I rarely frequent the female discussion board. There's probably a lot of good info in there, and maybe a different perspective that would be nice.

It's an interesting one because Basenoters do not represent the average crowd with regard to fragrances. The women on the female discussion forum are (probably) going to be into more "nicher" stuff than your average female.

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post

It's an interesting one because Basenoters do not represent the average crowd with regard to fragrances. The women on the female discussion forum are (probably) going to be into more "nicher" stuff than your average female.
    Probably true. I went fragrance shopping with a female friend recently, she pretty much hated everything I tried with the exception of HdP 1969 and Malle's L'Hiver.

It would've been nice to have someone a little more experienced and into fragrances than someone who said "why wear a scent at all, they make me sneeze and itch."

Basenotes Institution N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post

That's very true. However that shouldn't give me a reason not to wear an amazing niche gourmand fragrance.
    Currently wearing: Shalimar by Guerlain

New Haarlem for younger women and MR for older. That doesn't mean an older woman wouldn't prefer New Haarlem or vice versa. I just feel that New Haarlem is more appealing to the younger crowd.