Code of Conduct
o

Default Bijan for Men (1981): Original vs. Five Star Formulations

I've had a decant for perhaps a year now, but I didn't know which version it is. Recently, I acquired bottles of both the old and new. The new one says Five Star Fragrances on the label that's on the bottom of the bottle. The original does not say this and also there are emobssed letters in the glass on the bottom, saying Bijan Beverly Hills, etc. Otherwise I didn't notice any other major differences (no retail box for either). If you have tried both, please share your thoughts on this thread.

When you read the reviews in the BN directory after trying both of these, they make perfect sense. The new one comes across as crude, heavy, directionless, etc. The focus is on lavender, syrupy amber, and vanilla. It reminds me a bit of Black Sashka by M. Micallef. Both versions are musky and spicy (wth strong lavender). The original, however, has far better balance. It's not as heavy and has more of a dry quality. There is a nice sandalwood/incense type of thing I didn't detect in the original. If you smell the sprayer on both, you may not be able to detect much of a difference (I wonder if that is part of a "successful" reformulation in the minds of thosee dong it).

The top notes have the same quality in both. Oakmoss, for example is listed in the top notes, as are "fruity notes" and sage oil. It's very strong and not for everyone. That opening persists with more force in the new version, whereas in the original it joins the other notes after a while. Both are sweet, but I think the new one has so much more amber that it comes across as sweeter. The sweetness in the original is offset, it seems, by the dry, woody quality.

Unlike the reformulated Red for Men by GBH, I think the new Bijan is bottle worthy for those looking for that "hairy chested, 80s" quality. The new Red is basically a mediocre frag, which might be good for those looking for a "light" version of Montana Parfum d'Homme or Havana, but it's not for the aficionado. On the other hand, the original Bijan for Men is a great frag, and I'm glad I can have it in my rotation now.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 8th September 2011 at 12:00 AM.

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Default Re: Bijan for Men (1981): Original vs. Five Star Formulations

Unfortunately, I never warmed to any scent from this line.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Unfortunately, I never warmed to any scent from this line.
    I think many BNers would like to know if you sampled either of the versions, or both, or neither.

I bought a bottle of this a year ago and it was rancid stuff....nuclear projection and sillage even on this sweaty beast. Why did I buy it ? I had the fragrance oil version and it worked really well on me so I wanted to layer with the real stuff...totally different experience with the real stuff. I threw my bottle away.

The same thing happened to me with SEXUAL by MICHEL GERMAIN....great in fragrance oil form but just as rancid as Bijan in EDT version.

Pollux

I have the original one and it is one of my favs together with Balenciaga. Perfume aficionados I am in contact with think of it as being boldish, but the mid and base notes are among the best I ever found in male perfumes. This means, they don´t like it when testing it, but giving it a full wear and perceiving the way it evolves is just an amazing experience.

AromiErotici

I've had both versions. The new ( Five Star ) is virtually unwearable to me and I added it to a recent lot I sold just to rid myself of it.

I recall the scent of the original and it was superior in every way. It was a powerhouse, very rich and deep. Spicy as all get out, but you know good when you smell it. It still was a tough wear, but I liked it because it had gravitas.

The reformulated version is thin, screechy, annoying and has the smell of inferior ingredients.

I have tried the new version and whilst the fragrance was almost great in parts, I have to agree with AromiErotici, it seemed somewhat cheap and screechy and I had to let it go in the end. It certainly was powerful though.

I find the new one to be too heavy/ambery/sweet rather than screechy. For me, it's the opposite of screech! LOL. Anyway, a frag that reminds me of the original version is Listen for Him by Herb Alpert. I think the Bijan is better, but fans of the original might want to sample Listen too. It doesn't have the woody aspects of Bijan, but it's not as heavy/ambery as the newer Bijan.

I recently acquired a bottle of the original Beverly Hills. Smooth beyond smooth was the difference between the new and old. The original was smooth, more subdued, more balanced and simply not offensive like the remake.