Code of Conduct
    Hillaire

Default M. Micallef's Special Edition '11 Has anyone tried this yet?

I found this available at the Micallef USA site.

This is a wonderful site, and I find I can buy little 5ml glass minis of all her fragances to try.

Anyway, this one looks fabulous, but I'd love to know if anyone here has tried it before I buy a mini of it.

Default Re: M. Micallef's Special Edition '11 Has anyone tried this yet?

Just wanted to mention they're also selling most/all of their minis on Ebay too - same price (sometimes a few dollars cheaper if you don't go with buy it now) and you can get a lil' positive bump on your feedback. I've bought Yellow Sea (10ml) and Aoud Homme (5ml) from them and the minis arrived quickly and in a nice little pouch.

I've not tried it yet but I think that, given the price, this is totally eligible for a blind buy. I find that Micallef's scents are always respectable, even if it's not something I'd wear or want to own.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought a bottle of Special Edition last weekend. It is listed as Red Special Edition 2011 on the Micallef website.

http://www.mmicallefusa.com/M-Micall...00-ml-p88.html

"Red" or "2011" doesn't appear on the packaging. It only has "Special Edition", but the box and bottle are certainly red.

On the linked page, click on "Description" for a list of notes and a description of its character.

I've worn it once. From the notes it sounds pretty fruity, but I didn't get that from the opening. Yes, the fruit notes (red berries and apple) are there, but they are muted, blended and sort of green, definitely not very sweet. It initially smells more like a green floral than an overtly fruity floral. It gradually becomes a soft, slightly rosey/mixed floral and finally, a mellow sandalwood. It is more delicate overall than I expected from the opening, and the base is pretty reserved. It is more of an elegant fragrance than a powerhouse.

It is nice. It didn't wow me after one wearing. But like most Micallefs, it seems well blended, soft, and not obviously synthetic. If I do wear it again soon I'll post any further impressions here.

I also tested the new Ananda Black and Jewel for Her, which according the the website are also limited editions. Of these three, I liked Special Edition the most, followed by Jewel, and then Ananda Black. Jewel seemed airy and delicate. Ananda Black, at least initially, was by far the strongest of the group, and definitely smelled more like an oriental than the others. I usually prefer strong, rather dense fragrances, but in the case of these three, I preferred the lighter ones.

Hillaire

Thanks SOS and Noggs, that is such helpful information. I absolutely love Jewel and Mon Parfum and find them both elegant, ladylike and reserved. So much I bought bottles of them.
    I noticed Luckyscent does not carry their whole line.
    I look forward to owning more; I might try Red/ Special/ 11 next.
    Oh, I also adore Rose Aoud, and find it very ethereal and evocative of things 'airy'. The most sophisticated Aoud I know save Homage.
    I am planning to try Shanaan too.
    I wish more of their offerings came in the 30 ml size.

Post Thanks / Like

After wearing Special Edition again I believe I need to amend my initial description, posted above.

My impressions of the fragrance are basically the same except for the beginning. I can't explain it, but during my second wearing I got a lot more of the fruity notes in the beginning. The first time I wore it, the opening seemed more green rather than obviously fruity. After the second time, I will say that the fruity notes are definitely present.

These fruity notes aren't very bright, sweet or juicy. While they do smell natural, they are soft and blended, calm and comforting as opposed to stimulating and refreshing. I still detect a bit of greenness, though not as much as the first time I wore it. This is a "grown-up" perfume, not a sweet, bubbly adolescent. The fruity notes are quickly joined by soft rose and perhaps other floral notes, which have the effect of further rounding out the fragrance. As the fragrance develops, the fruity notes recede and the floral notes become more prominent. There is then a slow progression from a subtly fruity rose based mixed floral to a gentle sandalwood and musk base, which is only lightly sweetened. The sillage decreases throughout the life of the fragrance. The base is long lasting, if somewhat shy.

This doesn't strike me as a very complex fragrance, but the natural smelling notes are handled well. I like the way it is put together. It is a soft, gentle fragrance, with very smooth transitions.

Hillaire

Thanks! It sounds lovely, and I am thinking of a blind buy. I like how she layers fruit over greens and florals. Mon Parfum is tart prunes over caramel and gardenia! And Jewel is berries over a very dry aldehyde. Somehow I can imagine Special Edition well. And boy am I loving that bottle.
    I'll have to say, Micallef bottles are the very best I own. Just gorgeous! I want to own Night Aoud also unsmelled...for that beautiful turquoise bottle alone!

Post Thanks / Like

Hillaire, I am thinking about getting Mon Parfum. I will certainly try it. It sounds very interesting, a little unusual even. What is the base like?

Hillaire

Mon Parfum becomes a very unique 'floral', actually, though I don't know what note accounts for that. I am assuming the interaction of Passion Fruits and musk. While it remains quite sweet from the caramel aspect, it dpes npt dry into a fruity scent. I'd ceratinly categorize it as a fruity gourmand, still but thankfully -- and why I LOVE it -- it does not have an isipid vanillic drydown. The drydown is warm, soft, sweet, elegant and probably mostly musky.

I think the line shows a particular talent at the lasting phases of their perfumes. All of the scents I have tried become quite fascinating and mature on my skin, once the powerhouse phase has petered out.

I cannot think of another FFG in the class of Mon Parfum. It's such a stand out in terms of complexity

Just a thought - if you are in the States, you can save a bundle of money if you purchase them through Micallef's Ebay site. They put everyone of their line up for auction. Each day Monsieur Dame chooses two 100ml bottles for a one-day auction. He used to start them at $49.99 and just recently upped them to a $69.99 starting bid. I have won more than 10 times and got some that he retails for $185 as low as $79 for 100ml including the 2011 Special Limited Edition.

Post Thanks / Like

I wish I'd known that, hednic! I recently spent $145.00 for a full bottle. Argh! Live and learn, I guess.

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Just a thought - if you are in the States, you can save a bundle of money if you purchase them through Micallef's Ebay site. They put everyone of their line up for auction. Each day Monsieur Dame chooses two 100ml bottles for a one-day auction. He used to start them at $49.99 and just recently upped them to a $69.99 starting bid. I have won more than 10 times and got some that he retails for $185 as low as $79 for 100ml including the 2011 Special Limited Edition.
    Um, do me a favor and erase this post. That was my secret .

But sometimes they do go higher, Leesee. 79.00 was definitely the cheapest I have seen one go for. I usually pay over a hundred.

Also, if there is one in particular that you want from their inventory that you haven't seen go up for auction in a while, e-mail them and say that you hope that you might see "such and such" up for auction sometime in the future. Don't be surprised if it's listed the
    day after your e-mail is sent!

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Also, if there is one in particular that you want from their inventory that you haven't seen go up for auction in a while, e-mail them and say that you hope that you might see "such and such" up for auction sometime in the future. Don't be surprised if it's listed the
    day after your e-mail is sent!
    Oh, good! There is one I want especially. Great to know! I have not see Black Ananda yet.

Hillaire

I finally tried this, in the form of a mini, and fell in love. I bought a large bottle.

This is a very dry green chypre in the old form; it reminds me of Diva and Jil Sander No. 4, in style. However, the top note of Green Apple makes it just gorgeous, and where JS 4 has a prominent plum not, Red has this divine, very green apple.
    I find it quite long lasting, though it dries down to a muskier scent than I'd expect from the chypric opening.
    Not too sweet; in fact, if a man was comfortable with apples, I'd recommend this one as a unisex.

Besides Mon Parfum, Red is my new favorite, followed closely by Jewel, Hiver and Automne. What a fantastic and diverse line. Each new scent they offer is an adventure and quite new. Moreover, I have the feeling they are just getting better with age, those two.

Awhile back I had found out who the perfumer was for this line, but I can't recall now. It was someone not well known at all - I believe he used to work at Robertet and now works for a very small company. Does anyone know who it is? (No, it's not Martine Micallef or her husband...)
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Nevermind - it says who it is on their website. Jean-Claude Astier. He's working hard to get onto my favorite perfumers list. His creations are almost universally awesome, and I love his style which comes across as quiet, reserved and refined, and quite natural smelling.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Hillaire

Here is the web description of Red Special edition.

Parfums M. Micallef
    Red Special Edition
    eau de parfum spray 100 ml

Madame Martine Micallef presents her newest creation: Micallef Red Special Edition for women. A rich and classic floral-oriental perfume with a light touch of fruity overtones settled into a bed of soft warmth. A bright, sophisticated and complex opening of red berry fruits is lightly mixed with apple and surrounded by watery florals with rose petals joyously tossed across the surface. And the base containing this magical melange of beauty? Warm essences of aged sandalwood and musk of course. Micallef Red Special Edition for women presents itself upon first spray as complete and fully-formed, perfectly put together and ready for a glamourous appearance on-stage. Clarity of notes, opulent touches here....here...and there; all melded into one extraordinary essence.

Yours to have and hold.
    Parfums M. Micallef Red Special Edition.

Also, the only other creations I could find that were done by Mr. Astier were Jacomo's Eau Cendree for men, and Shiseido's Murasaki, according to this site: http://www.museudelperfum.net/?q=en/...rence&id=27720

Murasaki has 8 positive and 1 neutral review here on BN, and quite a few loves and likes over at Fragrantica without a single dislike.

Eau Cendree has been reviewed quite a bit less, garnering only 2 positives and 1 neutral here. Still, it seems like this man has a magic touch!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Glad you are loving it Hillaire, it sounds gorgeous. An excellent apple note is so rare but SO enjoyable.

Now, if only someone would do a write up on Steel Water!
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Also, the only other creations I could find that were done by Mr. Astier were Jacomo's Eau Cendree for men, and Shiseido's Murasaki, according to this site: http://www.museudelperfum.net/?q=en/...rence&id=27720

Murasaki has 8 positive and 1 neutral review here on BN, and quite a few loves and likes over at Fragrantica without a single dislike.

Eau Cendree has been reviewed quite a bit less, garnering only 2 positives and 1 neutral here. Still, it seems like this man has a magic touch!
    FASCINATING! I have been pining for the vintage Murasaki (meaning purple) for ages (The new pour bottles available from Shiseido Japan are SO watery and dull) . Curiously, JCE's Iris Ukiyoe is very,very close, though less 'perfumey'.

And I thought I knew all the obscure Jacomos! Now I have a real mission to try this one!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    I have been pining for the vintage Murasaki (meaning purple) for ages (The new pour bottles available from Shiseido Japan are SO watery and dull) .
    I'm an ardent devotee of Murasaki from way, way back, but I haven't sniffed the newer version of the scent. Is it really that bad?

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    I'm an ardent devotee of Murasaki from way, way back, but I haven't sniffed the newer version of the scent. Is it really that bad?
    Well, Leesee, I am not one to forgive reformulations, generally. But it's pretty bad, yeah. Have you tried Iris Ukioye?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Have you tried Iris Ukioye?
    No, I haven't tried it. I just looked it up on a few sites and it sounds intriguing.
    Last edited by Leesee; 16th October 2011 at 08:00 PM. Reason: more to say