Code of Conduct

Default Help me save Shalimar!

I recently spotted a nearly full 3.4oz bottle of Shalimar EDT at a local vintage clothing boutique. The sprayer is hopelessly damaged.

My question: Should I purchase the $9 bottle (gasp!) and remove the contents to another bottle? If so, how would I remove the bottle top without further damaging the bottle? And where would I find a replacement bottle? And even, what is the best method of cleanly performing this process?

I'm certain someone has done this before. Is there a youtube video or something?

Thanks!
    ~ Leilah

"To dance is to be out of yourself. Larger, more beautiful, more powerful." ~Agnes De Mille

Default Re: Help me save Shalimar!

I had this same question once about a vintage partial bottle of Miss Dior with a broken sprayer. Someone here advised me to use a dremel with a small circular file attachment (whatever that is called) to grind down the metal collar that surrounds the sprayer (whatever that is called) so it can be removed. It's quite a thin piece of metal so it shouldn't take long. I still haven't done that because I don't have a dremel (though I want one), so my old Miss Dior bottle sits there forlorn until I figure out what else I can do. If you have a dremel or other drill and the right bit/attachment, you are in like Flynn.

Re: replacement bottle. You can either buy spray bottles at your local drug store or on one of the many sites selling decanting supplies or you can search for a fancy re-fillable perfume bottle (an unused one, of course).

Congratulation with your find!

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

I've successfully opened perfume bottles by placing a rubber material around the metal collar (you could use something like a piece of rubber or latex glove), gripping the collar with the rounded crescents within a pair of pliers, and twisting, teetering, prying. The rubber gives a better grip for the pliers, and you need squeeze only hard enough to grab hold, not so fiercely as to crack the glass. The metal collar is thin enough to distort with a little pressure and lose its 360° grip on the glass. Be sure to use pliers, not a wrench.
    Last edited by Quarry; 10th October 2011 at 05:43 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

I'm going to try that, Quarry. Pliers and latex, I have. Still want a dremel anyway.

Thanks so much for the ideas. I have latex, pliers, and a Dremel!
    ~ Leilah

"To dance is to be out of yourself. Larger, more beautiful, more powerful." ~Agnes De Mille

Quote Originally Posted by Leilahdancer View Post
    Thanks so much for the ideas. I have latex, pliers, and a Dremel!
    Oooooh, a dremel! I'm a little envious.

Blog Entries

I do this all the time for broken sprayers or perfumes that I want to dab on as opposed to spraying (sometimes if a perfume is really strong, it is better to dab to control the amount better.)

All you need is a pliers and a recipient bottle.

Remove all the external bits down to the straw-- usually white plastic that sticks up above the metal collar. Firmly grasp the metal collar and give it a kind of wiggle pull. Repeat. Eventually you should be able to tease the collar and stopper assemblage (is this the technical term?) without breaking the old bottle or spilling any. Once you do a few of them, it gets pretty easy and you get a feel for how much force you need.

The first one is usually a little messy and you usually end up kind of hacking things up. You might wat to try it out first on something cheap or something you don't care about. Do not attempt to pull the straw out (even if it wiggles easily) or you will make a mess. Do not attempt to "peel" the metal collar of in bits. That is certain disaster. I lost nearly a full bottle that way once. Also, be sure to do it over a surface that you can clean or that will not get wrecked if you spill.

Good luck!

PS a dremel seems like needless force
    homo sum humani a me nihil alienum puto

Lisa16, thank you so much for the more detailed description! I've decided to give it a go and split the bottle to share with friends.

Thanks again.
    ~ Leilah

Thanks, everyone for the advice. I now own said bottle and have released its contents. Be free, Shalimar!
    ~ Leilah

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Wooo-hooo! I am both relieved and happy for you, L.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.