Code of Conduct

Default What does it mean if you spray a fragrance on yourself and it smells like alcohol?

I was at Sears today and a sales associate was showing me some of their perfumes. I happened to be looking at some fruity-florals so she thought I might like Pretty Hot by Elizabeth Arden and sprayed some of it on my arm. (I'm not criticizing her for this by the way. I wasn't really looking for anything in particular and was just browsing so I didn't really mind which perfume she picked up and sprayed on me. I always like to try different things anyway. And I do like some fruity-florals.)
    However, when she started to spray it I immediately noticed that the fragrance smelled an awful lot like rubbing alcohol. (As opposed to the alcohol you drink lol.) The sales associate pressed the sprayer several times and it seemed like the fragrance just came out smelling like alcohol for almost a minute. Finally, some notes seemed to kick in but they weren't very strong, and it seemed like she'd sprayed a ton of it on me! Also, the fragrance hasn't had very good longevity and has faded out fast. I didn't really read the bottle so I'm not sure if it was an EDP or EDT. (Does it even come in both? Fragrantica.com only has it listed as an EDP.) But I'm just wondering: does this have to do with how diluted the fragrance is, or does it mean the scent has "gone off?" Or is this just a body chemistry issue and does it mean that the notes in the fragrance don't come out very well on me, and I need a heavier fragrance? This has happened to me with some other fragrances I've tested too including Circus Fantasy by Britney Spears and at least a couple of others. Has anyone else tried these fragrances and has had this problem?

Default Re: What does it mean if you spray a fragrance on yourself and it smells like alcohol?

That's common. You can try to avoid top notes, as I always do, and then you probably won't smell that any more. However, I find that sometimes your mind really keys in on certain things, and it's not always easy to stop that from happening. Best thing, it seems, is to just ignore the smell and let it come to you later, and at that point there should be no alcohol aspect to it.

Default Re: What does it mean if you spray a fragrance on yourself and it smells like alcohol?

Quote Originally Posted by LadyDragonFire View Post
    does this have to do with how diluted the fragrance is, or does it mean the scent has "gone off?" Or is this just a body chemistry issue and does it mean that the notes in the fragrance don't come out very well on me, and I need a heavier fragrance?
    It could be any of these or a combination IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    It could be any of these or a combination IMO.
    Okay thanks. i just wanted to confirm that.