Code of Conduct

Default Herbaceous/Modern Masculine Fragrances

Hey basenoters,

I'm a 24 year old male that likes something rugged yet modern. I have recently noticed that I really tend to like fragrances that are masculine and contain geranium, rosemary, lavender, sage, etc... I like some woods to be mixed in as well too. Chypres are something that I have also noticed that I have taken a liking too, many of which contain oud wood and rose combinations. I'm hoping this helps to define some of my fragrance preferences so that more accurate suggestions can be made.

As I have smelled more fragrances, I have started to pull away from the current male fragrance trends that are more unisex and I have really been enjoying:

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Van Cleef and Arpels Pour Homme
    YSL Rive Gauche

While I like these in my collection, I would like to have some less dated versions of these types of scents.

My question is, based on some of the fragrances I just listed above, what are some similar and modernized versions of those fragrances?

Thanks in advance...

Default Re: Herbaceous/Modern Masculine Fragrances

My recommendation is Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo.

It's awesome.

I recommend: Penhaligon's Sartorial, MDCI Invasion Barbare and 1725 HdP.

Very cool to hear a younger guy enjoying these great old school masculines. The frags that you mention are such complex compositions that it's a little hard to name others that are both similar and yet more modern. But here's couple shots at it:
    I'd recommend giving Annick Goutal's Eau du Sud a try. It's less of a powerhouse than the ones you list but it fits the description of a modern herbal chypre very well. YSL Jazz is a great geranium fougere that I think feels pretty modern. The timeless rosemary/rose/lemon edc thing is worth a shot, too: Acqua di Parma's Colonia is a great one. Parfums de Nicolai Nicolai Pour Homme is a really nicely done green lavender fougere that feels quite modern, I think. Domenico Caraceni's eponymous masculine, usually called 1913 on the boards, might scratch your rose itch. It's definitely a reference to 80's masculines but with cleaner lines.
    Let us know what you decide on. Happy sniffing.
    '...And you'll carry me down on your dancing
    To the pools that you lift on your wrist...'

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    +1 Invasion Barbare

Good rec.

Blenheim Bouquet Penhaligon`s

When I read herbaceous I immediately thought about Yatagan, but probably it's not this wonderful beast that you're looking for at this point.

cacio

Perhaps Rafting

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have started to research all of the suggestions given to me so far. Anyone have more suggestions?

The original Bijan for Men. Take a look at the note pyramid. Make sure the label on the bottom of the bottle doesn't say Five Star Fragrances.

Guy Laroche Horizon

these

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Amouage Memoir

Yep, all of the above.

+1 to Italian Cypress, and I'll add Rose 31, by Le Labo.

I will add 2:

Jo Malone - 154
    Acqua di Parma -Cipresso di Toscana

For the rose and geranium, you could try Czech & Speake's No.88. I'm not a huge fan, but I seem to be in the minority on this one. Sticking with this combination, but more to my liking, is Frederic Malle's Une Rose or Noir Epices. Others in the C&S line, such as Oxford and Cambridge (a very good lavender), might also be to your liking.

And I'd enthusiastically agree with a previous recommendation of Yatagan. Also, have you tried Caron's Le Troisemme Homme? It's a good'un.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Yep, all of the above.

+1 to Italian Cypress, and I'll add Rose 31, by Le Labo.
    I've smelled Italian Cypress, and I can fully appreciate it but I like Oud Wood and Arabian Wood better. As for Rose 31, of all of the rose fragrances I've smelled so far (about half a dozen), I like it the least. To be honest, I don't like it that much at all.

Quote Originally Posted by JBarry87 View Post
    I've smelled Italian Cypress, and I can fully appreciate it but I like Oud Wood and Arabian Wood better. As for Rose 31, of all of the rose fragrances I've smelled so far (about half a dozen), I like it the least. To be honest, I don't like it that much at all.
    Funnily, I couldn't stand Rose 31 either, much preferring Lyric and Paestum Rose. These days it's numero UNO for me

I agree with Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo.

Another one for LV Uomo. This one is pretty rough, though, and smells vintage even though it really isn't, so it might not be exactly what you seek.

Also, I see you mention Rive Gauche in the OP, and ask for something more modern. Rive Gauche is a modernized aromatic fougere with your notes, so you might revisit that see if you can pick up those revised facets (smooth patch, lightly sweetened anise, dash of clove, overall "smoothed out" feel).

I will also +1 Penhaligon's Sartorial, MDCI Invasion Barbare and 1725 Historie de Parfums. These are the nu-fougeres. I'm not sure I would call them aromatic/herbal, though: the notes are there, but they are hyper-smooth and very modern.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Definitely looks like I'm gonna have to check out Penhaligon's Sartorial, MDCI Invasion Barbare and 1725 Historie de Parfums! I'm definitely interested in Uomo as well.

If you have access to a L´Occitane store near you I would recommend this gem. Unfortunately it´s being discontinued worlwide. I was lucky enough to snag the last two from my town.

The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

Acca Kappa 1869
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

It's not very modern since it was released in the 80's,
    but based on my limited experience with herbaceous scents,
    I would highly recommend Aramis New West for Him.

It's very herbaceous and masculine, I don't get much "aquatic" out
    of it, although some do.

And I'd add a +1 for the aforementioned Guy Laroche Horizon.

I should also add that based on your affinity for Geranium, Lavender and Sage,
    Ungaro III might also fit the bill, but again--like New West--it's not quite as modern
    as what you may be looking for.
    Last edited by cpp214; 13th September 2011 at 04:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by _Enigma_ View Post
    If you have access to a L´Occitane store near you I would recommend this gem. Unfortunately it´s being discontinued worlwide. I was lucky enough to snag the last two from my town.

I was actually just in a L'Occitane boutique a couple of days ago but did not spray this one. I may have to go back and check this out. I'm impressed with all of the L'Occitane fragrances that I have smelled.

Very cool to hear a younger guy enjoying these great old school masculines.

baltimore used cars

+1 on Villoresi, actually pretty much most of his line. He's really good at herbaceous notes. Colonia is really nice, Yermabate a bit daring but worth a sniff.
    Eau de Baux, Occitane and Tzar VC&A might be up your alley too
    À l'air libre les oiseaux ont eux aussi le vertige (camille)

I agree w Yatagan too.

Also, I'll add Versace Black Jeans, it is similar to Rive... discontinued but can be found easily.

498 . . .

I'm a 24 year old male that likes something rugged yet modern. I have recently noticed that I really tend to like fragrances that are masculine and contain geranium, rosemary, lavender, sage, etc... I like some woods to be mixed in as well too. Chypres are something that I have also noticed that I have taken a liking too, many of which contain oud wood and rose combinations. I'm hoping this helps to define some of my fragrance preferences so that more accurate suggestions can be made.
    Knize Forest - has many/most of the notes and accords you're enjoying, although it may not smell exactly like your local forest. It's not easy to find, but is offered at a good price when/where available. Might as well sample Knize Ten (a classic leather chypre, with more rose and woods in the heart than you might smell at first)

Bogart - less woods and dirt, more aromatics and leather than KF. Rugged, inexpensive, and fairly versatile.

L'Ombre Dans L'Eau - a office-friendly (if you don't over-spray) unisex rose that's a bit more green and somwhat less sweet than C&S No. 88.

Hey basenoters,

As I have smelled more fragrances, I have started to pull away from the current male fragrance trends that are more unisex and I have really been enjoying:

Paco Rabanne Pour Homme
    Azzaro Pour Homme
    Van Cleef and Arpels Pour Homme
    YSL Rive Gauche

While I like these in my collection, I would like to have some less dated versions of these types of scents.

My question is, based on some of the fragrances I just listed above, what are some similar and modernized versions of those fragrances?

Thanks in advance...
    very thoughtful review.. you seem to be a natural at reviews..

you may want to sample:
    Domenico Caraceni 1913 (rose, tobacco, geranium)
    Serge Lutens Gris Clair (lavendar)
    Guerlain Habit Rouge Eau de Parfum (oudh based oriental)
    Parfumerie Generale Corps et Ames (woods chypre)