Code of Conduct

Cool Leonard pour Homme : Alone Among Its Peers

I was always ignoring Leonard pour Homme. But because as of late I have been sampling more and more fragrances from the past, Leonard has caught my attention. Reviews alluding to baroque, dark, melancholy....etc. Comparisions to a more subtle Van Cleef & Arprels made sampling Leonard pour Homme more tempting.

First, this fragrance opens up with a burst of notes. It leads me to believe that this will be a heavy fragrance to wear. But how wrong I would be. Leonard pour Homme's strong opening/middle notes subsides after an hour ( at most). It is, as the reviews mention, a dark leathery chypre scent that is seemingly of its time....but not.

At the same time I was sampling a few others. Oscar pour Lui ( vintage). Leonard pour Homme doesn't stand a chance in a shouting match. In a debate ? Leonard is the better ( sorry to all the Pour Lui fans ). Another, Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme, is more floral and radiates much more.

Other fragrances Leonard pour Homme remind me of are Derrick and a bit of Jacomo de Jacomo. Do you see it ?

I am still wondering about longevity and radiance. Sure, it sticks around. But does it go away to soon ? I like it, so I want it to stick around. It doesn't radiate nearly as much as its peers of that era. 1980 was a good year for mens fragrances, if only because Leonard pour Homme was released. What I also really like, I may add, is that this is a dark scent that does not depress me. If it did, this one would be out.

So let me end this by borrowing a line from BNer Jack Hunter - Leonard pour Homme : How Would You Rate This ?
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Default Re: Leonard pour Homme : Alone Among Its Peers

I have both Leonard Pour Homme and Leonard Homme in my collection and I love both of them. Great scents IMO.

Hednic .... what can you tell us about Leonard Homme ?
    Surfacing ... LpH has a doppelganger in the vintage Lancetti Uomo , with LU being so strong it needs a warning sign.

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitrios View Post
    Hednic .... what can you tell us about Leonard Homme ?
    What I have been able to glean from the web is: Top notes are bergamot, nutmeg and pepper; middle notes are violet leaf, clary sage and cedar; base notes are incense, cashmere wood and benzoin.

Projection on me and sillage are quite good. Bought it quite a while ago. Now it's quite inexpensive here in the US. 100ml can be gotten for around $30 + shipping.

Thanks hednic

I have both Oscar Pour Lui and Leonard Pour Homme in their vintage versions (also have the newer OPL). I like both and don't see why one would want to exclude either. I'd like to know where one can get LPH for $30 these days! This is the one I'm talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEONARD-POUR...item4aa5e9bcb0

It has very good longevity with moderate sillage. If the sillage was any stronger it would probably make the wearer ill. Make sure you compare the vintage OPL to it, because the new OPL has a generic base.

I'm not into describing things now, but here's something:

I love the burning leaves smell of Leonard pour Homme (no affiliation with Leonard Homme). Always thought it was what one of the Corleones would have been wearing while standing in their back yard in late October planning their next move. But it also has a piercing creamy floral-type radiance that stays around for a long time and can become irritating if worn the wrong way. The fragrance isn't a structural masterpiece when smelled up close, and it might seem to fade early, but it's pretty durable and the sillage actually stays around a long time. I advise wearing a couple of normal sprays rather than a condensed one on the back of the hand for sampling, as that seems to bring out the creamy floral irritating part of the thing. It's a cerebral scent. Dark. Wish there were more like it.

Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme puts out some of the same creamy floral stuff but it's more broken up, making it less piercing. I think Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme is a great fragrance. Put it in a niche bottle and people would put out $300 no problem. Ted Lapidus pour Homme (1979) had a lot in common with Leonard pour Homme, especially when it came to the smoky burning leaves aspect. Ted Lapidus pour Homme was probably the best fragrance you could use as an example for smelling oakmoss in a fragrance. It's almost impossible to find now but it's excellent. I've never liked Oscar de la Renta pour Lui. Had a vintage bottle and thought it was sort of an oriental version of these, too much iris, feminine, nondescript. Maybe I should buy another bottle and try it again, but I couldn't find anything all that compelling about it. Seemed to be pretty well made, though.

Have more to say but not feeling like it. Mainly I prefer Van Cleef & Arpels overall, it's dark but it lacks that burning leaves aspect. I was crazy for Leonard pour Homme for a long time but when the piercing note came around I liked it less. Still, it's extremely compelling and I'm glad to have it. I love the dark cerebral feel of it and I love the bottle, too. The feel (more than the smell) of the fragrance can have a lot in common with Jules (Dior). There's also some congruence with vintage Givenchy Gentleman, but Leonard pour Homme lacks the structure and smoothness of that one.
    Last edited by pluran; 9th September 2011 at 02:46 AM.

I wore this to an elementary school musical that my niece was in. The lady in front of me kept moving her chair back, by the end of the show she was practically in my lap. Oh, the things we basenoters have to endure.
    For those about to stink, I salute you!

I've only tried Van Cleef & Arpels pour Homme in the newer formulation and swapped it off first chance I got. I remember it as a powdery lavender laundry musk kind of thing, and can't imagine that is what the original smelled like.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Stinky View Post
    I wore this to an elementary school musical that my niece was in. The lady in front of me kept moving her chair back, by the end of the show she was practically in my lap. Oh, the things we basenoters have to endure.
    That was funny!

I have found Leonard here on Strawberrynet for $54- I don't know which this is but it is the reformulated version from the photo.
    Notes are-

LEONARD
    Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml/3.4oz
    A truly masculine fragrance for men
    Delivers a fresh, relaxing & comfortable sensation
    Top notes are bergamot, nutmeg & pepper
    Heart notes are violet leaf, clary sage & cedar
    Base notes reveal incense, cashmere wood & benzoin
    Perfect for all occasions

I'm tempted.
    La vita č breve, la morte vien.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    I have found Leonard here on Strawberrynet for $54- I don't know which this is but it is the reformulated version from the photo.
    Notes are-

LEONARD
    Eau De Toilette Spray 100ml/3.4oz
    A truly masculine fragrance for men
    Delivers a fresh, relaxing & comfortable sensation
    Top notes are bergamot, nutmeg & pepper
    Heart notes are violet leaf, clary sage & cedar
    Base notes reveal incense, cashmere wood & benzoin
    Perfect for all occasions

I'm tempted.
    What did you read that sounded tempting? It sounds to me like a typical "men's" frag of recent years, most likely far inferior to Gucci Pour Homme II.

I really like violet leaf. Add the bergamot and cashmere wood and it's got me thinking.

Wanted!!! Rectoverso Tea Tobacco by Ulric de Varens. PM Me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by koala501 View Post
    That's not Leonard Pour Homme on the Strawberry Net site for $56.50. That's Leonard Homme - a completely different fragrance.

Thanks Hednic for setting me straight on that one.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I'm not into describing things now, but here's something:....
    Well Pluran, as always, I really appreciate your contribution. Thanks.

I'm glad you mentioned the burning leaves aspect/accord. That is a good way to put it. A great scent for autumn.....or anytime since autumn smells like autumn anyways .

If you have anything else to add, please do.

I'm gonna test this one a few more times before I decide on a FB, but it is looking good so far. I shouldn't be as dissapointed in radiance as I mentioned. Otherwise, like Oscar pour Lui, it could become a fragrance that is too freaking heavy to wear. Or something I can't wear as casually as I would like, such as Van Cleefs & Arpels pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Stinky View Post
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentré D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !