Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Another Recco Please? Burberry London vs "?"

I've been looking for a couple of new frags and the first one I bought was Chanel Egoiste Platinum. Even though no one suggested it (why do you bother advising a schlum like me haha?)!

I was looking for Chanel Egoiste, but they don't sell it in Oz. Yes, I know it's completely different from Platinum, but I adore both.

Now my next one is looking to be a Burberry London. It's only $65 for 50ml, which is dam cheap for Australia, DAMN cheap! However, is there anything else you would recommend that has more longevity and sillage?

I tried Kuros, awesome but unfortunately too old fashioned for me - I'm 21. Hope it's still around when I'm 35. Really disliked Dior Homme, thought Terre D'Hermes was just a little too woody (never imagined I would say "too woody").

Any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Another Recco Please? Burberry London vs "?"

$65 for 50ml!! fack. I think my 100ml was like $30 NIB.

Help us, help you... give some more details about you, your lifestyle, types of other frags you love or hate, certain notes that interest you, etc.
    NEW STUFF FOR SALE - TOM FORD, Guerlain, Acqua Di Parma, Serge Lutens, Byredo, Diptyque, etc. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Mate, I used a few fresh frags like Bulgari Pour Homme Aqua, Chanel Allure Homme Sport and now also back to my historic Egoiste Platinum. However I now want something woody and spicy. I liked Dior Eau Sauvage and liked Aramis Havana to an extend. But after dropping $135 for a 100ml Egoiste Plat, I don't think I'm ready for another $110 for the Havana.

I tried liking Terre, but it's just too heavy.

I work in an office, I'm a broker. But I'm out and about at nights. I don't want anything that is for young people. I have Di Gio, Azzaro Now, Joop Go, Blue Jeans and dislike them all (all were presents). Also have Cool Water, of which I'm, not a fan.

I just want something classy, but which is not going to remind me of how my uncle (Fahrenheit), grandfather (polo) or other parents (kouros) smelled. Although I really like Kouros.

Hmmm. Have you tried YSL La Nuit de L'homme?

Basenotes Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyLeMale View Post
    Hmmm. Have you tried YSL La Nuit de L'homme?
    can't say I have, I will though. However I am hesitant of frags that are derived from another... like the "night" versions...

also, I wish our prices were like the ones in US!

Quote Originally Posted by nikitary View Post
    can't say I have, I will though. However I am hesitant of frags that are derived from another... like the "night" versions...

also, I wish our prices were like the ones in US!
    dont be hesitant. it is amazing and everyone(most people) here will agree. try it. thank me later

Cuba Red is like London without the London top notes, so since you can get it really cheaply, you could just use a lot more, and then the longevity might be better. Another "cheapo" that's really good (and not too "old fashioned") is Everlast Original 1910, but you need to like "clean" leather notes. It should be strong enough for you.

Post Thanks / Like

I would recommend hardly any alternatives to Burberry London, this fragrance is a class of its own, maybe a more affordable source of purchasing this fragrance safely and reliably would do

Go with Burberry London.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Gucci Envy for Men
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Post Thanks / Like

Both JV and JV Vintage remind me of London in some ways. But, if longevity and sillage are a problem for you with London, then JV will be no better.. especially Vintage.

Philosykos always reminds me of London. Projection and longevity are excellent on this one.

BTW 65 for 30ml is horrible expensive for London lol. As others have said, you should check out a site that ships worldwide, where you can get a 100ml bottle for about half that. Perhaps Amazon?

Jacques Bogart Pour Homme is supposed to be quite similar and cheaper.
    Also Cuba Red.

Just stick with Burberry though!

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Gucci Envy for Men
    If you're looking for something similar to London but better, Gucci Envy for Men is excellent. It will probably be a little more pricy, though.

If you're looking for something similar that is cheaper, I might suggest Bogart Pour Homme. Not as spicy as London (much less Envy), but it does smell quite similar (basically London minus the cedar chips, imo). Monster sillage too.

IMO London is very good choice for you. If it doesnt last on you just reapply.
    Current TOP 7 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense
    6. Timbuktu
    7. Dior Homme

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Go with Burberry London.