Code of Conduct

Default I Wanna Make a Memory

Tomorrow, I start a five day cruise to the Bahamas. Yay!

Today, I went to Nordstrom -- the first step in my plan. I sniffed around and decided on the beautiful Acqua di Parma Assoluta.

My plan is to bring only this scent and wear it for the entire trip. I want to create a sense memory wherein every time I smell AdP, I will think of this trip (hopefully, it's a good one!).

Am I crazy? Has anyone else ever done this?

Default Re: I Wanna Make a Memory

Yes, I have done this. No, you are not crazy. Have a great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    Yes, I have done this. No, you are not crazy. Have a great trip!
    ditto

I did this but not intentionally. I bought La Nuit on my cruise and ended up wearing it every evening. Every time I pop the top I have a quick flash of memory.

Have a great trip! funny thing is, i was thinking exactly this. Im going on a trip this winter break and the only fragrance im going to bring is Angel Men Pure Malt

This is the best thing about scents/music. Everytime you smell a certain fragrance or hear a certain song....you always remember exactly where you were at that moment in time. The nostalgia is the best part.

Edit: Have a great trip!!

I did it for my wedding in 2006. We were getting married in the Fall...October 7th...and my wife and i went and sniffed around for a new scent. At the time Burberry London had just come out. I loved it. So I wore it for the first time our wedding night and then on out hineymoon in Italy for 2 weeks. Everytime I put it on in the Fall it reminds us of that time. I just wore it on a date night the other night when we had a sitter and my wife just loves it and the memories.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

Yeah...did it...mostly whilst spending time with exotic women in exotic locations.

Theres a reason my girlfriend refers to Diesel Fuel for Life as 'Fiji frag.' Its a great idea & it really does prompt happy memories every time you smell it.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony87 View Post
    Theres a reason my girlfriend refers to Diesel Fuel for Life as 'Fiji frag.' Its a great idea & it really does prompt happy memories every time you smell it.
    Funny, I was gonna pick Fuel for Life! Couldn't decide, but went for Acqua di Parma at the last minute. Well, I'm off!

Quote Originally Posted by ToughCool View Post
    I did it for my wedding in 2006. We were getting married in the Fall...October 7th...and my wife and i went and sniffed around for a new scent. At the time Burberry London had just come out. I loved it. So I wore it for the first time our wedding night and then on out hineymoon in Italy for 2 weeks. Everytime I put it on in the Fall it reminds us of that time. I just wore it on a date night the other night when we had a sitter and my wife just loves it and the memories.

Oh boy, an even better reason for hoping you always enjoy each other then, I don't think there are more intense memories than that to a frag and you wouldnt want to ruin your ability to wear london, no?
    Not that I wouldnt wholeheartedly wished you the best anyway.

I can somewhat relate. The perfume obsession started on a year in N-Z for me where I have been wearing mostly Puma Man and Axe Click EdT (not that bad actually). Having left a GF and many loved ones over there I cant really get by these scents anymore..
    Smellin good

I don`t think I could use only one fragrance for a whole week..

DeepSilence

Overdose hobbies! You are not crazy. Have a good trip.

Quote Originally Posted by timaru View Post
    Oh boy, an even better reason for hoping you always enjoy each other then, I don't think there are more intense memories than that to a frag and you wouldnt want to ruin your ability to wear london, no?
    Not that I wouldnt wholeheartedly wished you the best anyway.

I can somewhat relate. The perfume obsession started on a year in N-Z for me where I have been wearing mostly Puma Man and Axe Click EdT (not that bad actually). Having left a GF and many loved ones over there I cant really get by these scents anymore..
    It is great for us. I wear it in the Fall and on special occassions for us and my wife always loves it. It reminds me of the Tuscany region of Italy everytime I put it on.
    "As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round."
    --Ben Hogan

I have done this. I wore Tauer L'Air during a Christmas ski vacation while staying in a cabin in Oregon. It always brings back great memories.

Start a new thread: Training Your Woman With Scent-- A Pavlovian Approach

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    ditto
    what he said

I love doing this, though it started unintentionally for me as well. I have a couple scents that remind me of New York City and I love to just smell them on occasion to remember until I go back. I would just wake up when I was there and before I would go I would apply and then a few times throughout the day, the scent went hand in hand with my memories.

I do this ALL the time. Not for entire vacations though, just one day adventures.
    “Love is when a girl puts on perfume and a boy puts on shaving cologne and they go out and smell each other.”
    Karl, age 5

Swapping
    Selling
    Seeking

Oh yeah. Many scents from my collection are indelibly tied to specific times, places, vacations, etc. Can't wear just one for the whole trip, but just one whiff of certain fragrances brings back some highly specific memories. It's a great feature of fragrance appreciation. Acqua di Parma Colonia, for example - one of the all-time great resort fragrances. You are guaranteed to love your Assoluta memories. Enjoy.

I only bring a couple on trips, but after realizing the whole scent-memory association, I try to make at least one of them a pick that I haven't brought on a trip before.

So...Did it work?

In the zoo where I belong playing with my own feces

maybe a shark got him

╔════════════╗
    Monkey's Trade List║ ◄««««« Çlïck ít ☼─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─~─♂
    ╚════════════╝

"Ah yes..That scent brings back so many memories..mostly of roiling, bloody water"

For me fragrance is inexorably tied to my travels.

Sound Scents

It must be a distant memory at this point, as that trip was a year ago! ;-)
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Nice idea!

Quote Originally Posted by MikeNY View Post
    My plan is to bring only this scent and wear it for the entire trip. I want to create a sense memory wherein every time I smell AdP, I will think of this trip (hopefully, it's a good one!).

Am I crazy? Has anyone else ever done this?
    Not crazy at all! Brilliant, in fact! Mary memories to a scent. Brrrrrrrrrrrrrilllliant!

P.S. You suck.
    P.P.S. No, no no. That's just me being jealous of your trip.

OH - and one last thought. Think about putting away the Acqua di Parma for a while when you return. That could help to really mary the smell to the time and place since it ended when the trip ended. Then, pull it back out again when the weather turns cold and enjoy enjoy!

P.P.P.S. You suck!!!
    P.P.P.P.S. STOP THAT BLANC (he says to himself)!!! ...sorry. Just jealous. Have a great trip!

reading this thread makes me want to try this