Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 44 of 44
  1. #1

    Default I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one...

    Not that it matters or anything . For some reason I would have expected it to be the other way round, or pretty much even stevens. I've never heard any of my male friends talking about fragrance in RL...do you guys save it for the anonymity of an internet forum perhaps??

  2. #2

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Most of the females are at Fragrantica :

    http://www.fragrantica.com/board/
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

  3. #3

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    This was the first Male fragrance discussion forum. At the time, the Perfume of Life forum was where a lot of females were posting. It remained as such for a few years until the Female board was also added here. So it's a legacy thing - it started off as a Male Fragrance forum, and thus has more male Fragrance discussion going on.
    Regards,
    Renato.

  4. #4

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    I think men are, in general, can be terribly ernest, ferocious hobbyists obsessed with detail - at least here at Basenotes and will therefore, ironically, produce more gossip and hot air.

    And yes, as stated above, Fragrantica is mostly females.

  5. #5

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Even at the men's forum at Fragrantica, you will get females replies more than men's , which is awesome.

    But the men's forum is not as active as BN , that's why i tend to post here more .
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

  6. #6

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    PS, I can't see females becoming obsessed with Creed batch numbers, Dior Homme Intense reformulations and Pure Malt monologues for some reason...

  7. #7

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Quote Originally Posted by spoombung View Post
    ps, i can't see females becoming obsessed with creed batch numbers, dior homme intense reformulations and pure malt monologues for some reason...
    exactly
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

  8. #8

  9. #9

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    Most of the females are at Fragrantica :

    http://www.fragrantica.com/board/
    hitting the nail on the head,

    I personally feel that fragrantica has great presentation,you can literally feel,smell and sniff (may be im exaggerating lol) perfumes on fragrantica.It has that FEEL. But content wise basenotes is way ahead in this league.So may be alot of traffic is attracted towards their natural feel and mind blowing colors, especially the female clientele. Even i took a lot of time to graduate on this site. Their search function is google inspired and simply very fast but the club is lacking a lot.

  10. #10

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    There are so few sites where males can show their "softer" siden without getting lampooned. So when there is one we just come out of the woodworks; so to speak.

  11. #11
    Super Member daccpa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Tennessee
    Posts
    131

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Us guys are generally better at beating a dead horse. Just look at the sheer quantity of Pure Malt, Aventus Batch Number etc etc posts.
    "There's another old saying, Senator: Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining."

  12. #12

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    PS, I can't see females becoming obsessed with Creed batch numbers, Dior Homme Intense reformulations and Pure Malt monologues for some reason...
    I knew a girl who tried to match her fragrance with the color of her shoes... don't ask if she was blonde.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

  13. #13
    Sur la Plage

    petruccijc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Clearwater Beach, Florida
    Posts
    17,010

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Because males don't know how to use the search function?

    I guess it is like asking for directions.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

  14. #14

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I guess it is like asking for directions.
    I blame that all on Sesame Street, lol. If it weren't for that song, millions of men wouldn't have a fear of asking for directions without being associated with it.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

  15. #15

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    I guess this contradicts the popular prejudice that men are essentially, innately, instinctively fragrance-free

  16. #16

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    I think men are, in general, can be terribly ernest, ferocious hobbyists obsessed with detail
    I think that sums it up quite nicely.

  17. #17

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    This isn't particularly busy either

  18. #18
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    84,205

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Quote Originally Posted by spawnchorus View Post
    For some reason I would have expected it to be the other way round, or pretty much even stevens.
    Thought the same thing when I first started frequenting the site.

  19. #19

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Arf at Dr Rudi. I consider myself duly chastised. Although I am in fact a laydeee.

    Interesting to hear that BN was originally formed as a blokey place, and I can definitely see how fragrance-sniffing would suit the male hobbyist. I'm off to marvel at some of the afore-mentioned Creed / Pue Malt thread. Using the search function

  20. #20

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    I'm really only here for the lists.

    But it can get pretty tough-going when you're only allowed three.

    Damn, that's hard.


  21. #21
    Basenotes Plus
    Diamondflame's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    6,757

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    The women are probably out there in the real world, sniffing with their BFFs at fragrance shops & then having tea & biscuits. Only male fragheads like us guys are still hunched over their keyboards, sniffing at their wrists & elbow crooks while muttering curses at another 'fake Creed' thread poster.

  22. #22
    Basenotes Plus
    knit at nite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    CA, Central Coast
    Posts
    4,853

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Quote Originally Posted by divinesoul View Post
    hitting the nail on the head,

    I personally feel that fragrantica has great presentation,you can literally feel,smell and sniff (may be im exaggerating lol) perfumes on fragrantica.It has that FEEL. But content wise basenotes is way ahead in this league.So may be alot of traffic is attracted towards their natural feel and mind blowing colors, especially the female clientele.
    LOL! Oh, please! Enough with the conjecture that more gals are on FG because of the pretty pix and colors The truth is they update their directory faster, so when you are googling a scent name that site now generally comes up before BN. So folks may find FG fist.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

  23. #23
    Basenotes Plus
    knit at nite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    CA, Central Coast
    Posts
    4,853

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Quote Originally Posted by spawnchorus View Post
    Arf at Dr Rudi. I consider myself duly chastised. Although I am in fact a laydeee.

    Interesting to hear that BN was originally formed as a blokey place, and I can definitely see how fragrance-sniffing would suit the male hobbyist. I'm off to marvel at some of the afore-mentioned Creed / Pue Malt thread. Using the search function
    LOL! spawnchorus whether a laydee or a dude, welcome to basenotes - sniff in good health!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

  24. #24

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    I think men are, in general, can be terribly ernest, ferocious hobbyists obsessed with detail - at least here at Basenotes and will therefore, ironically, produce more gossip and hot air
    I think this^^^^^

    There are lots of forums for pens, watches, ties, shaving, hats, clothes, suits, shirts, and infinite forums for every car you can imagine....

  25. #25

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Well, more females can add to extra "drama" here and there, no offense,..it gets catty from time to time on Fragrantica..that's why I avoid that place now. I like their layout though..it's user friendly. Though, more females here would be cool. Notice there are less people on the female forums but more moderators...cause we can get catty maybe? Lol.

  26. #26
    hednic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    McLean, NYC, & Búzios
    Posts
    84,205

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    The women are probably out there in the real world, sniffing with their BFFs at fragrance shops & then having tea & biscuits. Only male fragheads like us guys are still hunched over their keyboards, sniffing at their wrists & elbow crooks while muttering curses at another 'fake Creed' thread poster.
    In an nutshell!

  27. #27

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    It's been this way since I joined in 2003.....Basenotes didn't have a female board.....and I didn't even have a PC at home.....I went to the library for 2 or 3 years and posted before I purchased a laptop for use at home.....I noticed the other day that the Womens forum is really growing!!! Congrats to the Ladies!!!
    Gary

  28. #28

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    The women are probably out there in the real world, sniffing with their BFFs at fragrance shops & then having tea & biscuits. Only male fragheads like us guys are still hunched over their keyboards, sniffing at their wrists & elbow crooks while muttering curses at another 'fake Creed' thread poster.



  29. #29

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    I think men are, in general, can be terribly ernest, ferocious hobbyists obsessed with detail.
    +1000

  30. #30

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    I guess it is like asking for directions.
    Lol. If we asked for directions I guess we wouldn't discuss fragrances.

  31. #31

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Men take their hobbies very seriously. that's why

  32. #32

    Exclamation Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    I've said this in feedback to the BN admins (when they asked for my opinion by way of a poll) that
    the Male and Female subforums should be merged. Immediately.

    I mean, think about it: as much as we all looove to claim that perfume has no inherent gender, why directly contradict that by segregating forum users by gender?

    I don't bother much with the 'female' subforum simply because there's relatively little activity, and I would expect that plenty of women aren't more active here because their 'perfume gender' (and by extension, they themselves) are being marginalized by the (possibly unintentional but still) vaguely sexist structure of this place. Enough of that.

    What do you say, people? Maybe this argument should be its own thread?

    I would love to see more women on here, being more active and outspoken. It would enrich the culture, and hopefully mitigate some of the borderline-OCD tropes that constantly run rampant around here (fakery hysteria, reformulation, pro/con house fanboyism, blah blah blah) Maybe there will be unforeseen social benefits. I think a lot of boys behave better when they think they're being watched by girls. Admit it: this place could use some of that.

  33. #33

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    I don't think the chaps exclude us gals. I've never had a problem posting wherever I like. BN gents have always been most gentlemanly IMO...

    A reason for pro segregation is because the scents are segregated by the companies, not the people on here. This is gently changing though. There are many more unisex now. Maybe we should divide it further into three..... (only joking)

  34. #34

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    I usually come to BN and immediately click on "New Posts," not on any individual board. Most of the time I don't even notice which board I'm reading or writing on. I hadn't even realized that until now.

    You want to see a women's board, go to the Fragrance Board at MakeupAlley. They could really use more men there.

  35. #35

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Yeah, I registered at MUA a few years ago, but I HATED the structure of that board (NOT conducive to flowing conversation) so I abandoned it.

  36. #36

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    I've said this in feedback to the BN admins (when they asked for my opinion by way of a poll) that
    the Male and Female subforums should be merged. Immediately.

    I mean, think about it: as much as we all looove to claim that perfume has no inherent gender, why directly contradict that by segregating forum users by gender?

    I don't bother much with the 'female' subforum simply because there's relatively little activity, and I would expect that plenty of women aren't more active here because their 'perfume gender' (and by extension, they themselves) are being marginalized by the (possibly unintentional but still) vaguely sexist structure of this place. Enough of that.

    What do you say, people? Maybe this argument should be its own thread?

    I would love to see more women on here, being more active and outspoken. It would enrich the culture, and hopefully mitigate some of the borderline-OCD tropes that constantly run rampant around here (fakery hysteria, reformulation, pro/con house fanboyism, blah blah blah) Maybe there will be unforeseen social benefits. I think a lot of boys behave better when they think they're being watched by girls. Admit it: this place could use some of that.
    I responded in the other thread, and now that I've read your post here, I must admit I still simply do not follow you. You are bemoaning the lack of female participation when women are already free to participate; many already do. There is no logical reason to think that merging two forum threads (which are separate for facially apparent reasons) would magically cause women to post more in the "male" topics. If a woman wanted to discuss New Haarlem in the male subforum, she would be free to do so, just as I would be free to discuss Mitsouko or Love in White over there. This to me looks like a solution in search of a problem.
    Current Top Five:

    1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

  37. #37

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Just wanted to see where the discussion would go, since it gets mentioned often enough, but nothing ever comes of it. Maybe because, as you suggest, it just isn't a problem to anyone.

    Fair enough.

  38. #38

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    No harm in bringing it up though... it got a pretty definitive response all-round. There certainly isn't an undercurrent of any dissatisfaction so everything is good....

  39. #39
    Basenotes Junkie BurgundyMarsh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    744

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Anthony View Post
    There are so few sites where males can show their "softer" siden without getting lampooned. So when there is one we just come out of the woodworks; so to speak.
    I wouldn't describe the male fragrance board as displaying anyone's "softer" side, actually. I've heard softer discussions of hockey and ultimate wrestling.

  40. #40

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Quote Originally Posted by BurgundyMarsh View Post
    I wouldn't describe the male fragrance board as displaying anyone's "softer" side, actually. I've heard softer discussions of hockey and ultimate wrestling.
    I think though that discussing fragrance is a little more unusual than sports, and personally out of my various interests fragrances are the least likely that I would bring up with any male friends; women would have no trouble bringing up such discussions with friends in most areas of North America at least.

  41. #41

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    Most of the females are at Fragrantica :

    http://www.fragrantica.com/board/


    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by tdwctdwc View Post
    Most of the females are at Fragrantica :

    http://www.fragrantica.com/board/

  42. #42
    Basenotes Institution 30 Roses's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    11,600
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    I click to see New Posts, and read/ post on whatever thread interests me.

    The men's forum moves so much faster that merging the two forums would just force topics women are more interested in to page 2 (and beyond) faster, making it harder for us to locate those threads. I think it is more to the ladies' advantage to have our own forum (but you guys are always welcome to post there!)


  43. #43

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I click to see New Posts, and read/ post on whatever thread interests me.

    The men's forum moves so much faster that merging the two forums would just force topics women are more interested in to page 2 (and beyond) faster, making it harder for us to locate those threads. I think it is more to the ladies' advantage to have our own forum (but you guys are always welcome to post there!)
    +1 on this.

    I think this makes it easier on all of us to use the simple categories, even if many of us use fragrances marketed to the other gender.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  44. #44
    Basenotes Institution
    Mimi Gardenia's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Exactly Where I Should Be
    Posts
    16,346

    Default Re: I'm surprised that the "Male Fragrance" board is so much busier that the "Female Fragrance" one.

    +2 - I agree with 30 Roses and Primrose.
    I do love the Male Boards- it's very interesting ( and funny sometimes ) to see how differently men and women approach fragrance. There is a difference in interaction .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Similar Threads

  1. A "summery" fragrance for someone who loves "wintery" fragrances
    By rem_dreams in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 18th February 2009, 05:02 PM
  2. "Hip" / "Youthful" Creed Fragrance for a Beginner
    By angle in forum Just Starting Out
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 4th April 2008, 08:25 PM
  3. Fragrance "notes" - which is the "authorized" definition?
    By TaoLady in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 16th November 2006, 03:24 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000