Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Question Should I open my vintage Bandit?

I found a bottle of vintage Bandit parfum,cord still uncut, along with the original white box and it looks to be from the 40's (white box display box with white box dome and a black satin ribbon wrapped at an angle around the box). Some of the contents leaked so every time I open the box I can smell the fragrance very clearly. My curiosity is getting the best of me, I've had the bottle for like two years now,and I want to sample the juice! Family and friends keep telling me I should sell it unopened BUT my weakness is leather fragrances I know Bandit is the mother of all in some respects.

What should I do? Keep sniffing the box or cut the string on the neck? Should I sell it unopened?

Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Should I open my vintage Bandit?

If you plan on selling it, I wouldn't open it. But if you're reasonably sure you want to keep it, crack that baby open and use it!!! If I had a treasure like that I'd keep it, unless I really didn't like the fragrance.

Post Thanks / Like

Second chaplain. If you are a merchant, don't cut. But you don't sound like one, so enjoy! I am a leather fan and Bandit is probably my favorite leather, so I'm very envious! Please report, with a comparison between your marvel and the current EdT.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't open it and enjoy its contents, then who will.
    - Expect the unexpected

Post Thanks / Like

Haha! Enablers! ; )

Post Thanks / Like

There's tonnes of these 'should I open' questions on whisky forums and the answer is always the same:
    yes - if you love experienceing and wearing fragrances (especially leathers from what I've read of this).
    no - if you're a collector or planning to sell it at some stage

There is another option though, you could sell decants (and possibly the bottle and packaging too) and keep a little for yourself to use.

Personally, I would have already opened it.

OMG...you are a lover of leathers and you aren't going to keep it for yourself? Wow...you have incredible self-control. I would have opened that two years ago and been relishing daubs of it regularly since then. Don't let this go to waste. If it is leaking already, who knows what you've lost. You need to open this and check it out and see if it's securely shut also.

Personally, I am reluctant to purchase sealed vintage perfumes, as you could easily be purchasing a fraction of the perfume you may think you are getting. If no one has checked it in years, it will be of much less value than one that has been opened and cared for. You can sell an opened vintage bottle easily, and it's a much more reliable purchase for the buyer as well.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

You've had the bottle two years and have neither sampled the juice nor sold it??? Good grief, sister, you are a paragon of self-control.
    If you can smell it, air is getting in there already so sample it, decant some for yourself and sell the rest...or not
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Post Thanks / Like

do you love the scent on the box? open it! and use it.

no love? sell the thing sealed.

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

Life is short, and experiences enrich us so much more than things. If you sell the Bandit, you've sold a thing, but if you open it—you have an experience! For the rest of us on the sidelines, wear it and tell all! XXX OOO
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh great sentiment^^^I love that.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

Power Where You Need It
    Post Thanks / Like

Open it! Enjoy it, but leave some. Don't run out of it.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by jujy54 View Post
    Life is short, and experiences enrich us so much more than things. If you sell the Bandit, you've sold a thing, but if you open it—you have an experience! For the rest of us on the sidelines, wear it and tell all! XXX OOO
    This is the voice of experience and wisdom - open and enjoy the experience.

Post Thanks / Like

I will agree with the posts above. If you sell it, you will get some money that you will easily spend. If you keep it and open it, you will have memorable experience of perfume from the group you like. And, at anytime afterwards you can sell it as used parfume. If I had such an beauty, I would surely open it.

Basenotes Plus
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by chaplain View Post
    If you plan on selling it, I wouldn't open it. But if you're reasonably sure you want to keep it, crack that baby open and use it!!! If I had a treasure like that I'd keep it, unless I really didn't like the fragrance.
    I totally agree!! Buy a sample of Bandit and if you don't enjoy it, sell it, but I'm pretty sure you'll love Bandit. Wear it and enjoy it.

Open it. Enjoy it. You don't want to be 99 years old in the rest home thinking "Gee, if only I had opened that bottle of Bandit. . ."

Post Thanks / Like

LOL! I think mrcologneguy said it best! That's totally something I'd say to someone. LOL!

Arg. I have the bottle here and a pipette. *sigh* Part of the thrill is a) I found a bottle of unopened bandit b) I now own a bottle of unopened bandit c) I own a piece of history from one of my favorite decades d) oh and it's unopened. lol! I've never been able to say that except about my unused bottle of Shocking. ( Which I sprayed btw and I was rewarded by a sharp jumbled up mossy cola Youth Dew-esque mess. As a fan of YD oil I'm frustrated that I start to detect the similarity to YD and then craziness barges in. I found the bottle sitting under lights in a antique store case and it'd been there at least 2 years that I know of. Never smelled it before so I don't know what to expect really.)

I've never smelled a newer bandit. Never smelled bandit outside of this vintage one. Are there any clues I should look for in case it's not in the best shape?

And to add that I actually found this in the same store the year before I bought it and didn't think to buy it. lol! Crazy I know. ; )

Will update!

Thanks all for the replies! Nice to talk to people who get it.

queen of the universe
    Post Thanks / Like

seattlelight, You are too kind!
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wait until you smell this thing...brace yourself....

Post Thanks / Like

And then I remember that I'm not that good at describing scents! But I'll try my best.

It's dark and mossy but soft and that's surprising as I've read it's almost masculine and can be harsh. I can smell the galbanum clearly and a bit of the bergamot and definitely the oak moss and leather. Will have to update in a few hours.

Ok then I just reapplied. Opening GREEN, very green and I bet that's the neroli which is a fave note of mine! Green spice. Yum!

Its only 10 minutes later and that green opening is gone and the moss and leather sits and I think I can smell the rose. I think I'm in love with the opening notes and,obviously, they don't stay long. Drat.
    Last edited by silverdragonfly; 13th September 2011 at 04:11 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

You make us feel really envious. From your description, your extrait sounds smoother and richer than the current EdT. The current EdT opens very green and sharp, and remains so for a while. And of course the moss is pretty much in the background.

If you like green (but not leathery), have you tried Temps d'une fete? Private collection should work too.

cacio

Enjoy silverdragonfly! I am grateful that people keep their bottles sealed and well taken care of for years and decades, because I too have acquired such treasures, but personally I think it is near crime not to open them and bring them to life!
    Strangely with my taste in perfumes, I can't pull of Bandit, part of it is its green side and then, it is so very filthy on me. I like the idea of wearing it myself, but don't feel comfortable... LOL!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think the most disturbing part of Bandit for me is the odd violet note thrown in there. Maybe I should go back to Bergdorf's just to revisit how much I did not like this scent...it's one of those...

Post Thanks / Like

Fleurine:

I forget whether BG has the whole Piguet line, but Henri Bendel does. So if you don't like Bandit, you can check whether you like Futur (or viceversa).

cacio

Be a bandit. Open it, wear it, way lay the unwary!

Seriously - perfumes deteriorate molecule by molecule even when stored under the most ideal conditions. Let it live the life it was meant for.

Post Thanks / Like

I have just joined the Basenotes community after reading your wonderful comments for years. I always go to Basenotes first before I buy a new perfume because all of you are so knowledgable and well-informed. That having been said, I purchased a bottle of perfume this past weekend in an antique shop. I think it's the Bandit you all are speaking of on this thread. The box is white with a lift-off top, and the bottle is square, with a glass stopper, and a tied black thread. I've read about it in the Turin/Sanchez guidebook. However, this thread is a year old. Is anyone still interested that could verify what I bought?
    Last edited by socalwoman; 18th October 2012 at 04:23 PM. Reason: marketplace rules violation

Post Thanks / Like

I would have so voted with the rest: open it. Use it. If not in love, then you can still sell it. And since it had leaked, it was not pristine anyway. You can sell the bottle, box all still if not in love.

I think I would be in love from your descriptions! Keeping it?
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure. I do like the incense/sandalwood/cedar perfumes, like Comme des Garcons incense series; this to me smells like Cartier's Declaration. I get a whiff of the perfume as soon as I take the lid off the box; it's faint but enticing. And the liquid is darker than what I see for sale now, so that's what makes me think it's very old. I will try to post a photo of it today.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome!

Where do people find all these marvels? The box and bottle you describe are certainly vintage Piguet. Is there Bandit written on it? Piguet had also other perfumes. Bandit's base is dark leather and should keep well. Whatever whiff you get from the box is just a random whiff from the material - Declaration doesn't really describe Bandit,but it could be the green elements in it. In any case, you should open and wear it, and, if it's Bandit, be prepared for the whiplash... whip, whip, whip....

cacio

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

No, you won't like it, you should mail it priority to me.

Lol

Of course! Wear it and love it! If you don't like it, it will fetch a decent price on Ebay

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by scentimentalist View Post
    I'm not sure. I do like the incense/sandalwood/cedar perfumes, like Comme des Garcons incense series; this to me smells like Cartier's Declaration. I get a whiff of the perfume as soon as I take the lid off the box; it's faint but enticing. And the liquid is darker than what I see for sale now, so that's what makes me think it's very old. I will try to post a photo of it today.
    I love seeing what others find, so yes, please. Picture! And I am so jealous.
    Beauty is an ecstasy; it is as simple as hunger. There is really nothing to be said about it. It is like the perfume of a rose: you can smell it and that is all.
    W. Somerset Maugham

Post Thanks / Like

Is anyone still interested that could verify what I bought?
    sounds like a rare bottle of parfum came into your life. that's wonderful! can you share a photo with us?

Post Thanks / Like

Can I post an attached file if I'm new to the site? I don't see a place where I can insert a photo.

Post Thanks / Like

No, you cannot attach images. You have to post them elsewhere and link them here (eg, if you don't have a website, photobucket or the like).

Is there anything written on the bottle?

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...size=960%2C720

Sorry, guys, you're dealing with an idiot here - this is my Facebook page, I don't have a store or a website...I don't see anything written on the bottom of the glass, the label says "net cont 1/2 oz."...

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...ze=1536%2C2048
    Last edited by scentimentalist; 18th October 2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: add photo

Post Thanks / Like

Can I post an attached file if I'm new to the site? I don't see a place where I can insert a photo.
    yes, you can. click on the [insert image] symbol when editing a post, then choose [from computer] and hit [select files] and upload you photo. viola! :)

Post Thanks / Like

My favourite quote applies here "The only way to remove temptation, is to yeild to it"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    No, you cannot attach images. You have to post them elsewhere and link them here (eg, if you don't have a website, photobucket or the like).
    tsk! providing such misinformation should be punishable. what about one spray of a random celebrity fragrance?

<shivers>

;)

Is there anything written on the bottle?
    that's a good question. if there's nothing, also inspect the bottom of the bottle. sometimes there is information down there.

now that i think of that, i remember one french speaking perfume-dealer (the type that caters vintages to addicts) who always looked under the bottle, in an attempt to find out whether the bottle is genuine or not (the real thing often used to be branded in embossed glass, fake usually didn't have this detail.)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by fragranceman88 View Post
    My favourite quote applies here "The only way to remove temptation, is to yeild to it"
    hahaha. :)

but, seriously, what about letting go? ;)

whatever! just open the bottle, there's no harm in that.
    Last edited by gido; 18th October 2012 at 10:01 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say that reading all of your posts makes me think of what it must have been like at the Algonquin Round Table! I'm so sorry I'm such a novice - when I sniff a new perfume, if I like it, I buy it. I can't identify what's in it, I only know that it smells good. I'm certainly getting an education on here!

Post Thanks / Like

To update on my original post I decided to put the bottle up for sale last year. After the first application the frag goes flat and smells old and dirty and not a nice dirty. Leather frags are a favorite of mine so it hurt to sell it but it wasn't something I'd ever wear for fun or out of the house. Boo.

Still the there's the thrill of the hunt and who knows what else is out there? It was an experience to find,cut the cord and apply. Very glad I could share my excitement here with people who understand.