Code of Conduct

Post Thanks / Like

Default Racking the brain for a new fall scent direction

Well, it is 55 degrees today in Memphis, going up to about 70, a bit cold for this time of the year. Broke out Coromandel and wow, I have missed it! Projects, lasts, shines.

So, Coromandel is my only winter/fall scent. GIT will go year round and maybe Red Vetyver. Put I want something that is going to sparkle, stand out, last, project. I am 75% inclined to get Tauer's LDDM no matter what I do.

Put for another scent, what would fit the bill. I read up on the Mazzorlari scents, but scared to get something so patchouli dominant that it would almost mirror the Coromandel. Leather and I have not been great friends - Lonestar Memories, Bulgari Black, Creed and Chanel Cuir de Rusie and even Creed Royal English Leather (like bubble gum on me). Too much vanilla is bad - Imperial Oppoponax.

Been thinking Chergui might do it, but worried that it is now hay-prominant. Some lines, like Profumum and the private line of Tom Ford, gonna be too much for my wallet. Histories de Parfums and Mazzorlari are priced right. Musc Rav was okay on me, Fumerie Turque got to me with too much smoke. CDG 2 Man was okay, but there was a note I tired of easily. Frapin Caravelle was too boozy for me, Idole, too short lived. Reading up on the Dior exclusive line, like Oud Leather and the others, maybe those are promising.

I guess what I am asking is, instead of house lines, maybe I need a direction of what scent family to head into. You may be able to tell me what areas I like, and I am thinking off the top of my head it is spicy orientals? Fougeres and things like Bois du Portugal (Creed), English Fern, just so so. I tend to go over the Luckyscent to read up on the reviews there as well as here.

Default Re: Racking the brain for a new fall scent direction

Perhaps Houbigant Fougere Royale

Post Thanks / Like

Just off the top of my head, have you tried immortelle/helichrysum? You mention Histoires de parfums. 1740 is wonderfully warm and cozy - you don't seem to like leather, but the leather is very smooth and not really dominant. Great sillage and longevity too. Or you could check Goutal's Sables, which has little or not leather. Dior's Eau Noire if you want something fresher, though I haven't explored its longevity.

In other genres, leather oud is great, but it is very leather dominant, so that's more risky for you. But who knows, that could be the one. In the same style, Montale's oud cuir d'arabie.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

Parfum d'Habit. The best faeces then creamy sandalwood.

for swap/sale:

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, here is where my mind is, based on reviews. I have GIT for all year. MI, kinda tiring of it. Will keep some for year round casual where

Any of these strike your fancy? I like it less gourmand, more projection with longevity through the work day. Love Coromandel and Montale Red Vetyer. Coromandel is about the most vanillar/creaminess I want, and no powder. Vote the top three in order as I will give three votes to #1, 2 to #2 and 1 to #3 and see what the average is.

1. Mazzolari Lui
    2. Mazzolari Patchouli (different enough from Coromandel?)
    3. Mazzolari Vetivery?
    4. Histories de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade
    5. Creed Aventus (or pineapple too similar to Red Vetyver and not all that long lasting on me but if I got a good deal, maybe?)
    6. Tauer L'Air du Desert Morocain
    7. Serge Lutens Chergui (or is it too much hay, have not had it since it was reforumlated)
    8. Kirdijian Maison Absolue pour le Soir
    9. Frapin Caravelle Epicee
    10. Frapin 1270

and wait for Idole EDP

Post Thanks / Like

I am thinking that the 1740 is too immortale, Lui too strong and the Patchouli too patchouli and so much like Cormandel.
    Last edited by finsfan; 12th September 2011 at 04:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Aventus is a good year-round frag... a unique fresh scent that most people like, especially women.

LDDM gets overwhelming and cloying for me

Also check out Puredistance M... there is leather, vanilla and amber, but it is so balanced and well blended it never gets overwhelming unless you massively overapply, which is possible because it is very strong.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't like immortelle, 1740 is certainly a no-no. I love it, though.

In your new list, my vote is:

1. Absolue pl soir (but you must like musk)
    2. LDDM

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

see post below
    Last edited by finsfan; 12th September 2011 at 04:13 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I am going to get LDDM

So, I may get two more bottles, but definitely one more.

So, with Coromandel and LDDM in the fold, which bottle would you vote #1 and which #2 to go with those two and GIT and Red Vetyer

a) Byredo Oud Accord (too berry?)
    b) Frapin 1270 (worried about longevity and projection, otherwise this gets high marks, but is gourmand on some, not so on others)
    c) Frapin Caravelle Epicee
    d) Serge Lutens Chergui (most likely gonna be gotten)
    e) Kirdijian Absolue or Cologen Pour le Soir (priciest on the per ounce basis of those chosen)
    f) Idole by Lubin (may have to wait on the EDP as the version now is short lived on me, like 4 hours, but what a ride!)
    g) Sartorial by Penhaligons (about 4 hours on me and a skin scent)
    Last edited by finsfan; 12th September 2011 at 04:15 PM.