Code of Conduct

Default Wash face before using face scrub?

I've been doing a Lab Series regime but I suppose this applies to any line of face care:

If you use a scrub a couple of times a week should you wash your face first? Or is that unnecessary? The scrub feels like it's cleaning, but it doesn't foam or anything.

Default Re: Wash face before using face scrub?

If you were going to wash your face (with a cleanser, I trust you're not using soap) I'd wash after the scrub.

I'd advise you not to use a scrub at all.

If you want the same feeling as a scrub use a wash cloth on your face.

If you want to clean your skin use a facial brush with a cleanser (or the wash cloth).

If you want the exfoliation benefits of a scrub, use a BHA liquid (my preference, Paula's Choice).

I wash my face before applying a scrub and rinse and tonify it to remove the scrub

Basenotes Institution

I scrub and then wash .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I scrub my face once a week, then use face wash. I use Jack Black products currently. I use the face wash every day. I also use the JB SPF 20 Daily Moisturizer after I shave, and even when I don't. I also use eye cream from Neutrogena. JB's is too sticky!

I trained as an esthetician years ago and we were taught when giving facials to wash first and scrub second. These days if I use a scrub, I wash first with something very mild like Cetaphil or Cerave and then scrub.

Basenotes Institution

Leesee- thanks for the tip - I will switch now and scrub after washing .

Basenotes Plus

aw gee Dr Rudi...Your reply made me check out the Paula's Choice website and of course I just had to order some samples and stuff.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Leesee- thanks for the tip - I will switch now and scrub after washing .
    Mimi, that was just how I was taught -- it may be that other regimens work just as well or better.

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    aw gee Dr Rudi...Your reply made me check out the Paula's Choice website and of course I just had to order some samples and stuff.
    Sorry about that. I have no affiliation but will offer testimony to their exfoliants, anti-oxidant concentrates, and a couple of the moisturisers.

I scrub and then wash .
    Same here.

Basenotes Institution

I tried it Leesee- wash and then scrub and I will continue my little experiment. I understand the rationale behind washing first. You wash away bacteria instead of scrubbing it into one's skin.
    The reason I always washed after a scrub was to get rid of residue .

Mimi, the next step, after rinsing off the scrub, is to use a gentle, non-alcohol-based freshener on clean cotton (balls, pads, etc.) to gently remove any of the residue left behind. I am not very good about using a freshener, so I like to soak a clean washcloth in cool water, wring most of it out, and press it against my face. I do this a few times and it gets all of the residue off quite nicely, plus it feels wonderful.

Let me know how your experiment goes!

Basenotes Institution

Thanks for the tips Leesee ! I appreciate it . I never was good at toning either but I know Brielle has many positive things to say re. toning. Anyhow now I've my Clarins non alcoholic Chamomile toner - no excuses !

Oh, I love that toner, Mimi! I need to buy it again, because it was such a pleasure to use.

if you use an exfoliant (aha or bha), you don't need to scrub.

anyway, generally, most scrubs contain particles which will cause more damage to your skin than not. the best way is to use a wet washcloth. cheap and works alot better.

after washing your face with your cleanser, use a wet and warm washcloth, put in more cleanser, exfoliate.

Manual scrubs are often of inferior quality but the well-made ones have their place in a skincare routine -- and some are well made. Plain old baking soda mixed with a few drops of water makes an excellent scrub. AHAs and BHAs work well under many circumstances, but some people cannot tolerate them. And some are not formulated correctly, which makes them either useless or harmful. But you make a good point.
    Last edited by Leesee; 17th September 2011 at 11:42 PM. Reason: typos

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post
    Sorry about that. I have no affiliation but will offer testimony to their exfoliants, anti-oxidant concentrates, and a couple of the moisturisers.
    no worries...I was impressed with the ingredients listing and am anxious to try the samples I ordered....
    A Scent Rescuer

Basenotes Institution

I use Clarins scrubs most of the time but I also love Queen Helene Apricot Facial scrub. It's cheap and I also use it all over my body .
    I used to use a washcloth and cleanser as an exfoliator for my face but my skin became very sensitized to that method and I stopped . Since then my skin has gone back to a degree of normality.
    Leesee - have you tried Clarins' Extra Comfort Cleansing Cream ?
    This is a 5 star product for me and has really helped my skin out .

Leesee - have you tried Clarins' Extra Comfort Cleansing Cream ?
    This is a 5 star product for me and has really helped my skin out .
    That sounds so familiar to me, Mimi, but I am not certain. I got a really nice complimentary travel set of products the last time I bought a Clarins skin freshener, and one of the products in the set was a gentle cleanser. I'll have to see if I still have it, and if so, what it is called.

I mix brown sugar with my face cleanser and scrub.

i usually scrub my face under the shower, OR i wet my face and then scrub it,
    i used to do it with a soft brush thingie, but kinda too much work,

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin B Complex View Post
    I mix brown sugar with my face cleanser and scrub.
    I've heard that sugar scrubs are gentle and effective.

I scrub and then wash .
    In my view the correct way to do it !

I use Clinique mild facial soap normally but when I use face scrub I use the Clinique Extra Mild liquid facial soap for women AFTER using my face scrub. If you use face scrub after face soap you could end up not washing all of the small tiny granules off your face.

I only face scrub once or twice a week - but some face scrubs are milder than others.
    But never use scubs more than 2-3 times a week unless you have EXTREMELY oily skin.

Btw I'm a guy, but a skin care fanatic kind of guy
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by Leesee View Post
    I trained as an esthetician years ago and we were taught when giving facials to wash first and scrub second. These days if I use a scrub, I wash first with something very mild like Cetaphil or Cerave and then scrub.
    This is not what Clinique & Lancome recommends !

Scrub face first, then wash face !!

Last edited by CHSeifert; 22nd September 2011 at 07:34 AM.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Basenotes Plus

I am no expert at all but when I've had facials they have never scrubbed first. Using a scrub first, without benefit of warming up your skin from at least some steaming or washing sounds like a possible way to damage your skin. Of course, some of the products they used to sell as scrubs were like sandpapering your skin- they make much gentler products these days. Bottom line would be to consult the manufacturers directions.
    A Scent Rescuer

Quote Originally Posted by knit at nite View Post
    I am no expert at all but when I've had facials they have never scrubbed first. Using a scrub first, without benefit of warming up your skin from at least some steaming or washing sounds like a possible way to damage your skin. Of course, some of the products they used to sell as scrubs were like sandpapering your skin- they make much gentler products these days. Bottom line would be to consult the manufacturers directions.
    If you look in my post above you can see that Clinique recommends scrub first then face wash !
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

I think everyone is kind-of-right, depending upon the situation.

In general, I would agree with LeeSee, wash then scrub. Yes I think CHSeifert has a point too. Particularly for men, a scrub before a shave (as they mention in Clinique's website) is a great way to get a good shave. I would guess that most scrubs also have a surfactants (cleansers) in them so you might be cleansing as you scrub anyway.

Your skin type (normal, oil, dry, sensitive, etc.) and gentleness of the product makes a big difference with all of these questions. I think people should pay attention to how their skin feels after their wash or scrub. Over-cleansing and over-scrubbing is often a problem that folks don't notice.
    Disclosure: Product development at www.patternbodywash.com
    Register for updates and savings at www.patternbodywash.com/newsletter.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's Nose View Post
    I think everyone is kind-of-right, depending upon the situation.

In general, I would agree with LeeSee, wash then scrub. Yes I think CHSeifert has a point too. Particularly for men, a scrub before a shave (as they mention in Clinique's website) is a great way to get a good shave. I would guess that most scrubs also have a surfactants (cleansers) in them so you might be cleansing as you scrub anyway.

Your skin type (normal, oil, dry, sensitive, etc.) and gentleness of the product makes a big difference with all of these questions. I think people should pay attention to how their skin feels after their wash or scrub. Over-cleansing and over-scrubbing is often a problem that folks don't notice.
    If I use facescrub AFTER I have washed my face, I feel like I commit murder on my face. I could never do that no matter how little I apply ( I only apply the size of an almond as it is - using Lancome Men & Clinique men face scrubs )

But I do see a point in washing first, then applying the scrub......
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

I would recommend cleansing then scrubbing. A good cleanser is definitely the Cetaphil Gentle Skin Cleanser; it's good for all skin types and regardless skin type, using harsh cleansers which strip your skin of all moisture isn't gonna do any good. A lot of dermatologists recommend it as well.

Then follow with the scrub. A good one I find is the St. Ives Green Tea Scrub; it's a lot gentler and dense than the Apricot one, which is a plus for more sensitive and sufferers of acne/acne-prone skin, and can be used even daily. Another good scrub is one you've made yourself, as you know exactly what's in it! Oatmeal (to soften and help discoloration), sugar (for exfoliation) then add stuff like tomatoes (vitamin A), lemon (also helps discoloration) etc.

Exfoliation can help with a smoother shave, and you can follow, after drying, with a toner and moisturizer as you wish. Good luck!

I wash first with a glycolic acid based cleanser (Anthony Logistics) and then use a gentle scrub twice or thrice a week. Gentle being the key word.

I follow this with a toner (Thayers Rose Water & Witch Hazel.. an awesome blend of rose water, witch hazel and vitamin e, and super cheap, too!) and a nice moisturizer.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more