Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Oriscent Pure Oud Oils Sampled

Well with all the recent synthetic Oud fragrances that have been released I wanted to experience what a good quality pure real Oud oil smelled like. So for that I went to the Oriscent website and ordered two sample vials. The following is a raw beginners impression of Oud smelled for the first time.

Borneo 3000 Pure Oud Oil

The first time I tried this I swiped the oil onto my skin and rubbed it in. It smelled like ancient wood that had been in the sun or like a antique musty wooden chest and it stayed that way until it faded.

The second time I just swiped the oil onto my wrist and just left it there to dry as it was quite thick. This time the experience was different as it was the smell of wood sap after peeling back the wood on a tree. It had that turpy and slight medicinal smell and was very ethereal and made you feel heady and relaxed.

It's like you are smelling the bark of a tree and the sap underneath which is airy green with hints of turp and that bandaid smell while been ethereal. More like a essential oil
    experience than a perfume you would wear.

When I compare this to Tom Fords Oud Wood I can see what he was trying to do as there is a similarity, I get it. Though where as this is natural and pure and almost alive on your skin his seems flat and dull. Though Oud Wood is more wearable as a perfume and Borneo 3000 is more of a essential oil experience and more complex.

One weird thing I noticed when smelling this one is that it sometimes it felt like a green moving breeze was blowing up my nose.lol

The drydown smelled just like bark from a tree.

Kyara Koutan Burmese Pure Oud Oil

I applied a swipe to my wrist and just left it to dry naturally. This opens with a very strong herbal medicinal accord with a hint of sweetness in the background. It has a sweet earthiness about it but I am also picking up that strong dettol vibe. I have it on my wrist right now and it does not move past the strong dettol accord.

Final Thoughts

It has been a interesting experience trying these pure Oud oils and as they are like essential oils you can buy they are more suited for oil burners for scenting your house. Or using diluted in a bath.

And because they are so concentrated and exotic I could never wear them as a personal fragrance. And the Oud effect been used in recent niche releases though not as vibrant as the real thing is way more wearable due to the blending.

I would say if you are looking for a Oud fragrance to wear, stay away as these oils are raw and concentrated and not to western friendly. But if you want to expand your olfactory senses these oils are good.

Default Re: Oriscent Pure Oud Oils Sampled

Glad you got to try some real ouds. I got into pure ouds a couple of years ago and I'm addicted. I suggest you need to try these a few times and in different situations to really get a feel for them. Also Indian and Cambodian ouds are very different from what you tried. I own both of the ones you tried and they are amongst my favorites. I find I can wear them as personal fragrance though not on a daily basis. I especially like wearing ouds at home where I can relax and enjoy them.
    Indian ouds that I initially hated and thought were too fecal turned out to be some of the most mesmerizing.

Hmm nice reviews. I'm a (synthetic) oud fan, in fact all my recent faves have been ouds (Le labo, L'Artisan and Dior) so one day hope to smell the real thing.

Great review for somebody that knows very little about ouds.

Thanks.

Thanks for sharing, my experience has been similar.

Also, agaraura has very small samples (.2mL) for $15-30... I have checked out oriscent's website and it looks like they sell larger samples for about $100. IMO, the .2mL samples are more than enough to get a feel for it.

How much times can a .2ml be used for a full wear (considering 6~8 sprays as a regular wear)?

I haven't been through a full .2 mL yet, but I'd guess at least 10.

Hmmm, interesting. 15~30 dollars to an equivalent of a 10ml decant. Not a bad price (comparing as the ultra pricey 3ml oud oils)

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Bϊzios Brasil

Of the two you tried, which did you prefer?

If not now, when?

Every time I hear about someone who is trying oud oils for the first time, it makes me think about my own experience - what a wonderful and simultaneously mind blowing experience that was.

Like Azsmells said, I think you need to give the oils some time before you decide whether they can be used for personal use or not. Of course, you may end up after some time, feeling the exact way that you feel right now...but more than likely you will after several wearings, start to 'understand' how complex and beautiful they really are.

I wear pure oud oil when I meditate, and I find that this enhances the experience wonderfully.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Of the two you tried, which did you prefer?
    I like the Borneo 3000 the best so far as it is more user friendly and has a uplifting ethereal vibe while also having a deep almost smoking woody accord. A very interesting Oud.

Kyara Koutan has this dettol accord which is off-putting though there are times it reminds me of Malle's Vetiver Extraordinaire. I guess these Ouds are a acquired taste and I am going to need more time with them.

Thanks a lot for sharing your thoughts. It takes courage to order such pricey samples, so my hat off to you, sir.

I hope that after some time you enjoy these oils enough to consider wearing them as a personal fragrance It took me a few months of constant sampling and comparison to arrive at that point and I know of others for whom oud also was a gradual falling in love process.

I would caution you to try to not over-apply, especially as you are just becoming familiar with oud. These oils are so strong, that even a tiny droplet (if it's big enough to actually drop from the plastic applicator, it's hugely too big) will last you all day and give off a scent aura robust yet compact enough to stay within the definition of "personal". I find it useful not to sniff the applied area directly, this quickly overloads my olfactory receptors and I am unable to judge the oil until my nose resets again (this takes a very long time). The best method that works for me is to apply a super-tiny droplet (just a quick touch of the tip of the sample vial applicator to the skin) to the outside of my index finger (or nail) and gently spread the oil on the side of my neck. I do it on both the sides making sure that I don't rub the oil in as this will drastically diminish the scent's life, but just spreading it gently. TO me oud's aroma is best when cought in the form of whiffs emanating lightly from you and smelled indirectly.

At first I was not able to perceive the complexity of oud (even though I thought that I could). Their spectrum is so wide and they change so drastically during the scent evolution from a fresh application to the middle and into the drydown it's really hard to firmly grasp them mentally until you've had quite a few proper wearings. I was struggling with trying to describe what I was smelling as words like "resinous", "woody", "menthol-like" etc. seemed to be crude approximations of the actual notes. It got better after a while but I still am often at a loss as to how to describe a certain oud.

One more thing - the oils will change with passage of time. It probably has to do with oxidizing (as there's more air in the vials than the oil) but nobody knows for sure. Either way, they will become deeper, rounder, mellower. Kyara Koutan will benefit more from this process and the sharpish "dettol" note will diminish while the whole scent will appear more woody and laid-back. I had a similarly tough time with Kyara Koutan's cousin Royal Kinam at first, but after a few months as I got more used to the aroma and the oil itself had a chance to age and oxidize it has become one of my top 5.

I was very unsure about ouds at first but now after having spent quite a bit of time with them I am passionately addicted, they smell so good it's hard to find anything else that can give me the same olfactory high. And I know it's not just me, I now get more compliments on ouds than my regular frags.

Please post your thoughts on the two oils if you decide to revisit them later.

If not now, when?

Quote Originally Posted by Igor01 View Post
    ...I would caution you to try to not over-apply, especially as you are just becoming familiar with oud. These oils are so strong, that even a tiny droplet (if it's big enough to actually drop from the plastic applicator, it's hugely too big) will last you all day and give off a scent aura robust yet compact enough to stay within the definition of "personal". I find it useful not to sniff the applied area directly, this quickly overloads my olfactory receptors and I am unable to judge the oil until my nose resets again (this takes a very long time). The best method that works for me is to apply a super-tiny droplet (just a quick touch of the tip of the sample vial applicator to the skin) to the outside of my index finger (or nail) and gently spread the oil on the side of my neck. I do it on both the sides making sure that I don't rub the oil in as this will drastically diminish the scent's life, but just spreading it gently. TO me oud's aroma is best when cought in the form of whiffs emanating lightly from you and smelled indirectly...
    Wonderful advice.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I too am now addicted to pure Oud oils As mentioned, other types have very different scent profiles. For example, Cambodian oils can be very sweet and fruity.
    Another way to enjoy them is in mukhallats. These are pure oil blends with a base of Oud. They may contain frankincense, amber, sandalwood etc, and can be fantastic and powerful scents - so again, only a small application is needed. Agaraura is a great place to get these as the owner mixes his own (the website is down until 27 Sept when a whole bunch of new stuff will appear

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    I too am now addicted to pure Oud oils As mentioned, other types have very different scent profiles. For example, Cambodian oils can be very sweet and fruity.
    Another way to enjoy them is in mukhallats. These are pure oil blends with a base of Oud. They may contain frankincense, amber, sandalwood etc, and can be fantastic and powerful scents - so again, only a small application is needed. Agaraura is a great place to get these as the owner mixes his own (the website is down until 27 Sept when a whole bunch of new stuff will appear
    Agreed... recently got a sample of Tropica from Agaraura, I like it a lot. It has Borneo Oud oil, real ambergris, rose and frankincense. Beautiful scent... the Borneo oud has a strong "medicinal" note, but over a short time on the skin it smooths out nicely. It's $150 for 2.8 mL, so not cheap, but not overpriced for what it is either... definitely worth it if you love it.

!!!500!!!

Good advice indeed from Igor I am going to use his application method from now on. Thanks.

Sparky I have seen that website and will check back when he has his new product range. I also checked out Agarscents and it is like a online Aladdin's Cave full of exotic oils and incense. The range of musks with agarwood has me intrigued as I do like dark musks.

And congratulations to Dorje123 for making 500 posts.

Oh and @Jack Hunter, as much as we oud lovers love oud - it is an expensive addiction, and makes expenditure on "regular"frags pale in comparison. So look out!

Hi Jack Hunter,

Are there any updates in your experience with real Ouds that you might share with us?

Quote Originally Posted by Habbe View Post
    Hi Jack Hunter,

Are there any updates in your experience with real Ouds that you might share with us?
    Just that I do not find them good as a wearable fragrance in their pure form as the smell can be too funky or a bit off. The current fad with creating wearable fragrances using synthetic Oud have got the right idea.

Also I still every so often apply my samples too my skin and if I'm honest I do not find them worth the hype. They cost a fortune and the creative marketing from Oriscent that makes Oud from them sound like mana from heaven should be taken with a pinch of salt. As the cost is so very high for so very little and not really worth it.

Though the synthetic Oud from Bond and Killian and the like are well worth looking into as it least you can wear it.

Hey Jack Hunter I am happy you are getting to try these oud. (my spell check is constantly changing oud to the word our) In my opinion these natural oudhs are about as easy to wear as most any fine oriental fragrance. You have to be careful with highly intense perfumes in application amount and where you apply them. These oud varieties will really change and evolve as they rest and mature. It is almost like they are a living thing - and they might be that because of the source of these oils. Most improve up to a point and then slow down. Its kind of like aging of a fine wine.

I have bottles of both those that you tested and I think Borneo 3000 (New) will need another two years or so of aging until it arrives at the plateau of being called a really good oud. The Borneo 3000 that you tested should not be confused with the original Borneo 3000, which as I am sure Igor can attest is a very mature and resplendent oil in comparison to the new B 3000.

It only took Borneo 4000 about 3 years before it became quite resplendent in character. In my opinion it has surpassed the original Borneo 3000 in resplendent "spiritual" qualities. Kyara Koutan has changed considerably in the short span of time since its release and I am happy to say that it is becoming are very fine oud - it is definitely in my top 5 or so of oud oils that I have. But Kyara Koutan is an example of an oud that has changed remarkably with age. When I first bought it it was woody and rich, but it lacked an uplifting finish. Now it has that sparkling finish that makes you dizzy to smell it or in wearing it. If you purchase an oil that has already aged, then you may be getting an oud that may actually decrease in quality as time goes on. I think that Sheik's Borneo may be an oud that was at the top of its age cycle when it recently sold out.

I agree that Agar Aura has some of the really good, but young, oud oils on the market that will only improve with age. Of course Oriscent - Ensar's Oud is mostly very high quality and you pay for that. I wish I had the resources to acquire more than I have. My collection is modest in comparison to Igor and others on the site who know much more than I do. But, I am a huge fan of these natural oud oils. I think they are a mostly overlooked rare and diminishing natural wonder in the fragrance world.
    in service: zegna sicilian mandarin • mfk petit malin • aqua di parma bergamotto di calabria • le labo another 13 • azemour les orangers • very cool sauvage • prada l'homme eau • polo ultra blue • dior homme sport • boadicea the victorious midnight degree • atelier cologne camelia intrepide • frederic malle promise • le jardin le monsieur Li

Jack, pure oud oil is really an acquired taste - even more so when you factor in the cost of a 3ml bottle! I'm afraid Oriscent markets their oud oils this way and you're not the first who has criticised this company for such practices. However, from what I've heard, you're getting the real deal.

I've tried various oud oils from different regions and there are certain favourites, among those in the know, that even I have failed to appreciate. However, I now have a better idea of what I do like and what I don't (e.g. I admire Hindi oud oil but it's very problematic to wear unless I'm completely alone for the day!). With regards to Borneo ouds, they really do get better with age and oxidisation.

As for longevity, this has always been an issue for me, especially in relation to how much they cost. I tend to get under six hours from most of the oud oils I've tried but others have said certain types last longer than that (a fair few have only lasted two to three hours on me). I'm still waiting for an oud oil to dispel this personal conclusion...

Personally, I would dearly love to investigate oud oils further but it's a very expensive hobby (even if you're only purchasing samples). In this case, I've tried to limit ownership by owning one specimen of each variety that interests me. It really takes an oud connoisseur to distinguish between either two batches of the same oil or two specimens of one particular variety. Luckily, with regards to my bank account, I haven't reached that level yet!

Anyway, you're no less of a person if they're not for you and, due to the relative shortage of high-grade pure oud oil, I really can't imagine anyone complaining...

P.S. I'd highly recommend Agar Aura as well!
    Last edited by Trebor; 25th February 2012 at 10:40 PM.

Buzzlepuff & Trebor your responses have been well thought out and eloquent and from the heart. Which I can respect and its good too see such a passion for the "Oud Experience", you almost got me moving to my samples to try out again.lol

One thing though has interested me which I have checked out on my Oud journey though have not experienced is the Mukhallats from Agar aura. A exotic blend of oils using real Oud oil too create wearable fragrances. And I believe the owner has created some of them with "western sensibilitys in mind". Now they for me are really worth investigating as I find them intriguing.

Hey Jack Hunter, Yes Agar Aura's Mukhallats are sensational (the ones I've tried), and generally longer lasting on the skin.

I have an extensive collection of pure Oud oils, and yep, they are changeable over time, generally don't have good longevity (a few do), and some can be very difficult to wear. Also, I became enamoured of Cambodian oils, and bought quite a few samples and bottles - only to find that I have tired of them somewhat. One or two (e.g. Agar Aura's Cambodi Royale - now discontinued) are so amazing that I keep them for special occasions and hope to never tire of them though. The Borneo's are more wearable in general. I have also gone off buying oils after some very unpleasant interactions with Ensar. When you spend that much on an oil, you need to trust and respect the vendor - and I now do neither with this particular merchant. I agree with Trebor, that Oud oils are an amazing substance, and am pleased to have bottles from each region as a reference - as much for historical/cultural interest as to wear.

So for most people, I'd suggest getting samples from each region (the three main regions being Borneo, Cambodia and Hindi), and see what you think. The best value for highest quality samples is, in my experience, Agar Aura. You can then decide whether you want to fork out for a full bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Just that I do not find them good as a wearable fragrance in their pure form as the smell can be too funky or a bit off. The current fad with creating wearable fragrances using synthetic Oud have got the right idea.
    I feel pretty much the same way, although I prefer the Arabian mukhallets over the European oud based fragrances. I own several pure ouds but usually prefer the upper end mukhallets over those. These typically have a stronger oud presence than the Euro ouds, and oud usually remains the star of the show. I find that the relatively small additions of amber, saffron, rose, patchouly, etc., are used to enhance and round out the oud rather than cover up or compete with it. I find these mukhallets more enjoyable to wear than the pure oud oils.
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

Thank you for all the advice in this thread, esp. re: how to apply. I have a vial of Borneo 3000 on the way and no idea how to start with it.

If I make ask, what is the issue with Ensar?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    Thank you for all the advice in this thread, esp. re: how to apply. I have a vial of Borneo 3000 on the way and no idea how to start with it.

If I make ask, what is the issue with Ensar?
    I don't know the answer to that question: re name change from Oriscent to Ensar's Oud? I know some of our members know Ensar pretty well and probably know the entire story. For as long as I have been buying from Oriscent, Ensar was the guy running the Canadian/North American business of Oriscent. But, I know his business was related to an Oud store in Jordan. My assumption when I saw the name change was Ensar decided to formally severe his ties to his original partners (maybe family?) who are still with the founding operation based somewhere else. After all, everything that Ensar built in North American through his website - Oriscent - was pretty much all Ensar. He sources the oud, creates some of it, markets it, sells, distributes it and has built the enterprise. Why should he not just call it by his own name? I don't know if a real ownership change happened with the name change, or not. Possibly Basenotes members Igor, Taha, or Simon will know the story - they probably know more since they are also from Canada and are closer to Oriscent/Ensar Oud than I.
    in service: zegna sicilian mandarin • mfk petit malin • aqua di parma bergamotto di calabria • le labo another 13 • azemour les orangers • very cool sauvage • prada l'homme eau • polo ultra blue • dior homme sport • boadicea the victorious midnight degree • atelier cologne camelia intrepide • frederic malle promise • le jardin le monsieur Li

Main question is: Do western people like it when you wear pure Oud oil, or do they find it offensive and unbearable?

Dettol note in Oud? This rant may need to go somewhere else, but I had to get this off the top of my head while we are on the subject.

I wanted to address the comment and question Jack Hunter has about the similarity of smell of Borneo Oud to "Dettol" and the often reference to "band aid" smell with oud. Igor and Dorje have also mentioned the "medicinal" or Dettol scent of some oud. This curious observation is something I have wondered about for years and I personally think it should be the subject of a fragrance blog somewhere because the presence of these smells goes right to the core of what makes fragrances so interesting to us all.

Dettol is an antiseptic disinfectant that gets its very strong odor from a combination of pine oil and the chemical chloroxylenol. Dettol is a powerful anti bacterial and disinfecting cleanser that is used often in bathroom maintenance, and cleansing in hospitals. The smell is very noticeable and yes it smells very similar to the base smell of a Borneo Oud. Chlorhexidine digluconate, related chemical, is also used to kill dental infections and used as a disinfectant shampoo for animals and for cleansing wounds to skin that might get infected. The similarity of the disinfectant smell to the smell of some oud makes sense because natural oud was discovered by noticing the sweet, medicinal odor of the bacteria infected Aquilaria tree (Agarwood) as it fought off the inectious bacteria that would pervade these rotting tree trunks. The trees would be rotting and dyeing but the sap from the tree would fight the bacteria and yield a quite uplifting medicinal smell. This base note smell of oud smells very similar to the same chemicals that we have found fight and kills bacteria in dental infections, bathroom maintenance, and hospital infectious areas.

In fact the varieties of Oud are distinguishable by the particular odors of the rotting vegetation native to a particular area. Some smell like cow manure, or horse barn fallout, or rotting vegetation, even rotting sewer smells can introduce an oud fragrance. The redeeming quality of the oud is how it overcomes the rotting initial smell with a clean elevating woods note that is often medicinal and smells like "dettol".

I remember reading a quote from John Guerlain that referred to the necessity of creating a rotting or off smelling odor in a perfume to give it contrast and a "story". The great French perfumes seemed to all have this muskiness that smells of rotting flesh or tooth decay or whatever until the base note rescues the situation with some clean dry or innocently sweet redeeming base.

There is a narrative that often happens inside the development of fragrances that becomes a mini story of that particular fragrance. This story makes the fragrance interesting and often great by all reviewers. The story will start out with decay, or rich excess and then be tamed by cleanliness and spartan pristine notes to show that "all ends well". This transition from bad to good, or from rotten to cleansed, not only happens in fragrances but in individual ingredients as well. The valued quality of Mysore Sandalwood was that it opens sweet and spicy but finishes each breath with pineal freshness. The beauty of pure rose oil is that it opens with unbridled sweet joy and is then swept away with the cleanest breath of air imaginable. Rose oil was used to sanitize hospitals during the black plague before they discovered an even more effective cleanser - lavender oil. The same evolution happens in many other floral indoles that go from off smelling sulfurous or rubbery to sweet and airy beauty. This same change happens in the most interesting incense fragrances and is the magic of the transition of fire in the incense as it burns the woods releasing the piney cleansing base. Not only in wood incense but all incense sticks or otherwise.

Dettol? So back to the dettol smell of Oud, the cleansing note in Borneo oud in particular, smells almost exactly like Chlorhexidine digluconate, or chloroxylenol + pine that makes dettol so cleansing. But that is how oud was created by the tree sap overcoming the bacterial destruction of the tree with its own native curative properties. It is just like dettol actually. This overcoming of bacteria and rotting destruction of life is really at the heart of very many fragrances. Could it be that we unconsciously equate beauty with cleansing? Incense fragrances, musks, indolic florals, barnyard oudhs, animalic Assam oils, Borneo Oudh, - all of these things seem to get their redemption, if you will, from the cleansing that happens at the end with a clean woods or pineal base note.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    [B]Dettol is an antiseptic disinfectant that gets its very strong odor from a combination of pine oil and the chemical chloroxylenol. Dettol is a powerful anti bacterial and disinfecting cleanser that is used often in bathroom maintenance, and cleansing in hospitals. The smell is very noticeable and yes it smells very similar to the base smell of a Borneo Oud. Chlorhexidine digluconate, related chemical, is also used to kill dental infections and used as a disinfectant shampoo for animals and for cleansing wounds to skin that might get infected. The similarity of the disinfectant smell to the smell of some oud makes sense because natural oud was discovered by noticing the sweet, medicinal odor of the bacteria infected Aquilaria tree (Agarwood) as it fought off the inectious bacteria that would pervade these rotting tree trunks. The trees would be rotting and dyeing but the sap from the tree would fight the bacteria and yield a quite uplifting medicinal smell. This base note smell of oud smells very similar to the same chemicals that we have found fight and kills bacteria in dental infections, bathroom maintenance, and hospital infectious areas.
    That is actually a really interesting connection and "rant." It never occurred to me that the similarity to disinfectants would actually be connected to the trees fighting off the infection.

I love a complicated story in a fragrance. I can hardly wait for my Borneo 3000 to arrive.

Quote Originally Posted by Habbe View Post
    Main question is: Do western people like it when you wear pure Oud oil, or do they find it offensive and unbearable?
    I can't speak to the actual question, but I can tell you they're often not fond of synthetic oud in a Western fragrance. I got quite a dirty look on the train last week from a woman who then made a production of picking up her stuff and moving away. I can only assume she didn't care for my Bond No. 9 Harrods Oud Swarovski Crystal Limited Edition Celebrity Sparklepony.

I don't know whether reactions would be better or worse for natural oud oil. I suspect the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Chambers View Post
    I don't know whether reactions would be better or worse for natural oud oil. I suspect the latter.
    I'd love to hear your experience with real pure Oud. The feedback of [western] people around you in regards to your Oud scent is an important issue. Please do share your experience with us.