Code of Conduct
    Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Default DIORLING relaunched!!!

Has Diorling really been relaunched in the
    Les Créations de Monsieur Dior line?!
    Has any of you actually seen it in shops?!

This one just showed up on eBay, so,
    I guess they are outthere ... I'm so excited!

Default Re: DIORLING relaunched!!!

Interesting! Although I'm skeptical after smelling what they did to the others.

Quote Originally Posted by Dane View Post
    Interesting! Although I'm skeptical after smelling what they did to the others.
    Only Dioressence smells slightly diffrent to my nose, more sweet than the mossy vintages.
    The others seem quite similar to their vintage counterparts. That said, I've never sniffed
    vintage Diorama, so, I can only speak about the others.

Diorama once smelled like Mitsouko, and now smells like cumin+tinned peaches. Diorissimo is pretty much ruined now, and Dioressence definitely isn't the same to my nose, but the "essence" is still there (I suppose). Ditto for Diorella...you can tell what it is, but it's not the same at all.

Basenotes Plus

I've never had the oppotunity to smell this Diorling in any formulation so looking forward to sniffing it.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I've never had the opportunity to smell either Diorling or Diorama. How is the current version of Miss Dior?

Diorama once smelled like Mitsouko, and now smells like cumin+tinned peaches. Diorissimo is pretty much ruined now, and Dioressence definitely isn't the same to my nose, but the "essence" is still there (I suppose). Ditto for Diorella...you can tell what it is, but it's not the same at all.
    Dane tells it like it is.

These new editions are like holograms. My keenly-felt tragedy was Diorella. It took an extended drawing and quartering to get it to this stage - like cutting off one limb at a time, spooling out its entrails, until the hollow shell remains.

I have a bottle of Diorling that was probably the last of the batches sent out in the old black and white houndstooth check boxes. Acquired in Paris at the Dior boutique in 1998 or so. It's good but not as complex as previous batches. Same old story; it never goes in reverse.

You know what I hate about these Dior re-issues in particular? The classic Diors had the power to entrance, to terrify, to make you question what kind of a person you were or could be. These latest? The best they can aspire to is mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by lilybelle View Post
    I've never had the opportunity to smell either Diorling or Diorama. How is the current version of Miss Dior?
    Repulsive.

I don't get all of this. I have both vintage and modern editions of
    all of these, except Diorama. And I think they are all pretty close.

I have not smelled vintage stuff, but the current Diorissimo that I smelled at Saks is sharp and harsh. I need to explore the others more.

cacio

Basenotes Institution

Very interesting - I hope they have re launched it .
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I like the current Miss Dior. My argument for having it is, that although I know it has lost that exquisite mossy edge that the vintage had, in its own right, I still think it's a jolly good perfume.My husband, who loved the vintage Dior on me in my 20's thinks that Miss Dior is close enough now to be worth having.

I think, at times, when there is too much emphasis put upon the original/vintage vs the contemporary, we can lose sight of perfumes that are still very good in their own right. I have the Les Perfumes Mythiques (spelling?) L'Interdit and love it. I have nothing to compare it with, since I never used the original, but adore the current one enough to put it into my top 10.

I get confused by the names. One of them I want to try but I can never remember which is which. Maybe I should just try all of them. : )

Anyway, happy for you Mr. Duc!

Vintage Diorling is a beauty ... I await this with trepidation!
    This week, 'Chanel Cuir de Russie: Skin Scent' at http://thescentimentalist.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by My_pep_pep View Post
    I get confused by the names. One of them I want to try but I can never remember which is which. Maybe I should just try all of them. : )

Anyway, happy for you Mr. Duc!
    Yeah, it can be somewhat confusing with all these Dior themed names.
    It got ridiculous when they released Dior-Dior ... I mean, come on!

And thank you!

Yes Diorling is relaunched. Hits UK early next year. At a Dior event now sniffing it. It's had to be updated due to IFra but Dior are going to he back to me with exactly what has changed (but they say it's pretty true). I've not smelt
    Original so can't tell - sorry!! Also launching in la Collection line is Patchouli Imperiale

Thanks, Grant! I'll be looking for it in the US sometime next year, I guess.

bleu autumn haze

I love vintage Diorling ... but I'm afraid the re-launch could never live up to my memory of it ...

Of course, I will try it all the same. And hope for the best!

What's with the name? Is this fragrance supposed to be from planet Dior? lol "Dior-ling" sound like "Earth-ling" lol

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    I love vintage Diorling ... but I'm afraid the re-launch could never live up to my memory of it ...

Of course, I will try it all the same. And hope for the best!
    Shadesofbleu, maybe you can help me.
    Can you describe vintage Diorling (and perhaps tell me which concentration you mean)?
    I found a houndstooth bottle of vintage Diorling EDC at a fleamarket, and am not entirely sure the contents are original. I have never smelled any Diorling before this, so Ive nothing to compare.

Dimi, I have a small sample of a vintage EdT. The Diors have never worked for me. So, if it is of any help, it's yours!

Thanks Larimar. Does it smell kind of citrussy up to (a la verbena) at all? Im not sure if these top notes have diminished, or if the contents have been replaced. Many speak of leather, but if theres leather here, its VERY hushed.
    I think I paid 4 euros, so its no major loss either way.

It is hard for me to put. You know that I am a bit particular or picky with my leathers... this is somehow very creamy, buttery... so very vintage Dior (they all seem to share this feel). I can not put it better. It is a soft leather and not really pronounced to my memory. I do not recall the top notes, I am sorry.

I have about 40ml left of the 112ml bottle I bought from Roja Dove back in 2008 and I cherish it. I asked my friend to bring me back a sample from London and I'll do a side by side test very soon. Hopefully there are samples!

Dior have really ruined their iconic fragrances. I had a 112ml bottle of Diorama and the new version is nowhere close to it, neither is Dioressence, neither is Diorissimo. Tsk, tsk dior

Blech...I tried this recently. The top note was impressive...green, mossy, a touch bitter but still smooth...the rest was nauseating. Cheap, cloying...and not miles from the awfulness that is the current Miss Dior (now called Miss Dior Originale).

ps - I have the original Diorling in parfum, albeit somewhat damaged. It open with a similar grassy green note before moving into a beautiful, green leather. Almost like a tame Bandit without all the rough edges. Because what I have has turned somewhat, I can't comment on the exact differences between the two...but the current, however similar, is bad.

Blech...I tried this recently. The top note was impressive...green, mossy, a touch bitter but still smooth...the rest was nauseating. Cheap, cloying...and not miles from the awfulness that is the current Miss Dior (now called Miss Dior Originale).

ps - I have the original Diorling in parfum, albeit somewhat damaged. It open with a similar grassy green note before moving into a beautiful, green leather. Almost like a tame Bandit without all the rough edges. Because what I have has turned somewhat, I can't comment on the exact differences between the two...but the current, however similar, is bad.
    Damn that sucks! But thanks for posting your thoughts LOL Anywho, did you get a "buttery" note in the current EDT (my "vintage" from 2008 has it)?

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Damn that sucks! But thanks for posting your thoughts LOL Anywho, did you get a "buttery" note in the current EDT (my "vintage" from 2008 has it)?
    No butter for me, no.

Not surprised, Dane, not surprised. This is the trend with current perfumes and this is what infuriates me in particular about reformulations of vintage perfumes. There is a top note - just enough to get you interested and perhaps pull out your credit card. There is barely a transition to a heart note and then......nothing, or worse than nothing. It's such an indecent sham. Like I said in my previous post, a hologram.

I seem to smell the same bad base in almost everything current. It's what a mainstream producer can get away with without using ingredients that run afoul of IFRA regs. I run into it most with anything described with a "soft woods" or "sensual musk" drydown. If these folks ever ran into a for-real woods and musk drydown, they'd be down for the count. Spare me the pabulum. These frags are toothless but my nose is not!

I actually like the new Diorissimo and wear it happily, perhaps it's not so close to the original (I haven't had the fortune to try a vintage version) but I still think that these re-formulated vintage Dior's are better than a lot of the crap that is newly released into the market.
    My perfume blog: Girl With the Curious Nose

Don't spend time beating on a wall, hoping to transform it into a door -Coco Chanel

Currently lusting after:
    - Chanel No.5 Eau Premiere
    - Frederic Malle Lipstick Rose
    - Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille

Quote Originally Posted by Jardanel View Post
    Not surprised, Dane, not surprised. This is the trend with current perfumes and this is what infuriates me in particular about reformulations of vintage perfumes. There is a top note - just enough to get you interested and perhaps pull out your credit card. There is barely a transition to a heart note and then......nothing, or worse than nothing. It's such an indecent sham. Like I said in my previous post, a hologram.

I seem to smell the same bad base in almost everything current. It's what a mainstream producer can get away with without using ingredients that run afoul of IFRA regs. I run into it most with anything described with a "soft woods" or "sensual musk" drydown. If these folks ever ran into a for-real woods and musk drydown, they'd be down for the count. Spare me the pabulum. These frags are toothless but my nose is not!
    I agree, it's atrocious.

Quote Originally Posted by Un Belle Parfum View Post
    I actually like the new Diorissimo and wear it happily, perhaps it's not so close to the original (I haven't had the fortune to try a vintage version) but I still think that these re-formulated vintage Dior's are better than a lot of the crap that is newly released into the market.
    The new Diorissimo still smells like Diorissimo but there is a very chemical note throughout the composition. This really bugs me because my bottle which I bought from the boutique, 3 years ago, smells a million times better. But more power to you and wear it in good health. You're right, it does smell better than a billion things out there.

bleu autumn haze

Quote Originally Posted by Sorcery of Scent View Post
    Shadesofbleu, maybe you can help me.
    Can you describe vintage Diorling (and perhaps tell me which concentration you mean)?
    I found a houndstooth bottle of vintage Diorling EDC at a fleamarket, and am not entirely sure the contents are original. I have never smelled any Diorling before this, so Ive nothing to compare.
    Sorry Dimi! I didn't see this question earlier!

It's been a while since I've worn Diorling, so my memory may be a little off, but ... I do recall a slight citrus-y topnote, not terribly long lasting. I think Bergamot is listed in the notes ... The leather is a smooth, butter-y leather, but it runs all through the scent, even deep into the drydown. Diorling has some white floral notes, which make it really elegant to me ... and a lovely soft oakmoss base. They don't make 'em like that any more!

My decant was vintage EDT, given to me by a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    Sorry Dimi! I didn't see this question earlier!

It's been a while since I've worn Diorling, so my memory may be a little off, but ... I do recall a slight citrus-y topnote, not terribly long lasting. I think Bergamot is listed in the notes ... The leather is a smooth, butter-y leather, but it runs all through the scent, even deep into the drydown. Diorling has some white floral notes, which make it really elegant to me ... and a lovely soft oakmoss base. They don't make 'em like that any more!

My decant was vintage EDT, given to me by a friend.
    You description is very spot on. I think jasmine plays a large role in making Diorling a unique leather. The jasmine isn't quite indolic or clean, it's more like it has been dried out in the sun next to a field of hay...but combined with the butteriness of the leather. To me the extreme modern version of Diorling would be Pschyotrope, but the saddle-like smooth vintage leather in Diorling is a dominatrix patent sex-swing in the latter LOOOL!

Well my friend came back from London and he didn't even look for it Bahumbug!

I have smelled it at Douglas in Amsterdam, I cannot compare with any vintage, although some descriptions above of the vintage version fit the current one (to my nose) !!!

first at the bottle : attractive bitter and soft , light green, round

then a spray on the hand : the bitterness gives movement, it stays soft, though the leather becomes very present and gives a bit more bite, I like its vintage feel of what a woman-of-class-would-have-worn-when-I-was-too-young-and-wild-to-want-that-for-myself, think the chypre effect, yet soft not buttery (not wet or greassy), just smooth

now dabbing from a sample : I like it a lot, the opening, the heart, it now begins to go to base - soft leather, green, bright, smooth, from time to time a little bite, but not overly insisting, rounded, easy to wear I guess.

conclusion : I am a sucker for soft bitterness.
    Vivre d’erreurs et de parfums.

Pour comprendre le bonheur, il faut le voir comme étant une récompense et jamais un but. (Antoine de St Exupéry).

I've been dying to do this. I'm finally trying the new Diorling on one arm and the vintage on the other. It is a little shadow of it's former self in just the same way that Cabochard is. A shadow of 20-30% perhaps.

The shape of the perfume is still there and recognisable as such but it is a 2D rendition of a 3D perfume. I can smell alongside rather shallow florals, a castoreum and civet loss. I think with a lightly layered addition of these two, you may have a part of your baby back. I will try that another time.

I have to say in it's defence that the reformulation is wearable straight away, a light and easy wear for a nice warm day. My skin knocks out florals in perfumes anyway, so the leather aspect has shown up after only about 15 minutes on me. If you like floral green chypres with a leather twang, then I think this is pleasant enough to wear happily.

Even as I speak though, the leather note I like is receding into a floral notepaper and it has an acidic quality to the fading leather. A note I cannot recognise like the very, very top, not so pretty edge of ylang or the sharp front part of a sour lavender. I would guess a synth edge note of civet. I'm not so fond of this sour bit although it is under the floral powdery note and I'm seeking it out. Penicillin maybe... ? I agree with soft bitterness above.

You'll need a portable spray with you to keep topping up if you go out in this because it fades to powder as you watch. I've only had it on for about three quarters of an hour, and I reckon I'm going into drydown.

I too get so confused with the Dior names, I am really like, forget it pretty much! Lol. Just give every scent a totally different name..so annoying. And if the new ones aren't like the vintage ones, give them a different name as well. I can't keep up Dior, lol.
    $25 or less clearance sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/390...othing-over-25!!

"For I consider that the sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory which shall be revealed in us." Rom. 8:18

I quite agree with you. Maybe they should call them the Dior shadow range and give them all batch numbers. Then we would all know where we are in the smelly dating game.