Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thumbs down Vitriol d'oilliet - Like a dragged out funeral....

I received my bottle today, and am really wondering what is happening with this fragrance. The first thing that grabbed my attention was the abysmal strength, it so weak and watery that I struggled to get anything tangible out of it at all. I felt like i had to strangle and harass it before it gave anything discernible up. A watery earthiness and the ghost of the flower we were promised. Carnation? Car-nothing! As it dries down after 10-15 mins or so I get some spiciness of clove and earthiness. If I get my nose right into my skin, I get a burst of coldness up my nose like menthol, which temporarily wakes me from my bored slumber. It seems to evolve into an incredibly sheer, mildly spiced carnation as time goes on, but like a monotone funeral service, I am secretly trying to exit out the back door away from it without anyone seeing me.

What happened Uncle Serge? I'm left completely underwhelmed.

Default Re: Vitriol d'oilliet - Like a dragged out funeral....

Jeez...heck of a first post!

I haven't tried it yet, but reviews have not been good. Having said that, please send me your bottle.

Hehe I have lurked for a while now, but this fragrance gave me the rats good and proper, compelling me to have a bit of a rant!
    I'm still deciding whether its worth keeping to try again later....or toss it into the Pacific and give it a burial at sea...

LOL...These two posts are most excellent. Do stick around!
    Back after hiatus

L'eaulita, welcome to Basenotes! I highly recommend keeping it and trying it again later, I can't even begin to tell you the number of fragrances I've changed my mind on.

Basenotes Institution

Welcome to Basenotes, L'eaulita! Glad you have found us and de-lurked.

Sorry to hear about your negative experiences with this particular fragrance. Among many things, BNers taught me to NOT invest into the full bottle until I have tried and liked the sample and, in some cases, a bigger decant.

While we are on it, I know Vitriol samples were available for European subscribers at no cost. I was lucky to receive a usual dark brown atomizer from a wonderful fellow Basenoter. If there is anybody who would like to give it a try, you know what to do.
    Currently wearing: Omnia Paraiba by Bulgari

Thanks for the welcome people I think I will grudgingly hold onto it and try it again later.

Perhaps the "Vitriol" part was the anticipated response from disgruntled Lutens lovers. The jokes on us! *crosses arms and sulks*
    He's such an odd little man, he's lucky I love him, or I'd never forgive him for this one.

Basenotes Institution

I love your name L'eualita. Are you sure we are not familiar, me and you? You sound just like someone I know!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Welcome, L'eaulita-- i love your name!

Basenotes Institution

I am a bit underwhelmed by it as well, but every time I wear it (from my decant) I like it more. But I must admit I LOVE pepper and carnations as notes.

Still there are stronger (Floris Malmaison), bigger (JAR Golconda) and more floral (Nina Ricci L'Air du Temps) carnations out there. This carnation is the sort I'd expect Jo Malone to release. Not Serge.
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Je Reviens by Worth

mikeperez23: I find the pepper and carnation really doesnt come out until you've worn it a fair while. Its a little bizarre in that sense- how you have to warm it by wearing, in order to reveal it. Very shy.
    But really, when you wear a perfume you expect to smell something definite, immediately. Even sniffing around the neck of the bottle wont reveal anything. I think this is the only Lutens out of my 19, that cant be detected around the sprayer nozzle.

I was saving my spicy-carnation virginity for Lutens, but I think I'm going to have to try Caron's Bellodgia.

*waves to 30 Roses*

Twolf: I'm not sure, I'm from down under if thats of any help?

I own it and the carnation for me is in the opening. Its not angry in anyway. Then I get floral lilies infact and then some spice. It is in the style of Bas de Soie not a heady powerhouse oriental. I actually get hours from it longevity wise and sillage.

Funny a friend considers it smelling like christmas with the spice.
    DONNA

Basenotes Institution

You are right, I was thinking about someone else, incorrectly.

Impressive collection -- all SLs!

Please let me know if you are having difficulties locating a sample of Bellodgia, I can share. Comfortably.

Other folks -- that sample of Vitriol is still up for grabs.

Basenotes Institution

Welcome!

I personally like it a lot.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Hi there! Welcome. I too love Monsieur Lutens and was also disappointed with this one. Hopefully he'll reimburse us with De Profundis.

I agree with everything you say except the watery part. I sprayed 2 sprays along the length of my arm. It was strong.
    Then the next day i sprayed 4 or 5 around my neck and chest. Strong and vibrant but ultimately u impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by L'eaulita View Post
    ... he's lucky I love him, or I'd never forgive him for this one.
    My sentiments exactly.

* hugs bell jars of comforting Iris Silver Mist, Tuberose Criminelle and Fourrea noir *

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    I love your name L'eualita.
    Yes very creative

Quote Originally Posted by L'eaulita View Post

I was saving my spicy-carnation virginity for Lutens...
    Hahaha

You're hilarious. Glad you crept out of the shadows and joined us here on the altar.
    for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I agree with everything you say except the watery part. I sprayed 2 sprays along the length of my arm. It was strong.
    My impression as well... it definitely has tenacity, even if that covers it completely on the bonus side for this fragrance.

Basenotes Member

Nothing is more frustrating than finding a scent that you like...only to have it fade too quickly to make it worth your while. I think the last time I had that happen was Cococabana by Parfums de Nicolai. I love a good coconut/white flowers perfume and this one was excellent...but it faded on me in about 15 minutes.

It's funny how some things will last forever on some people, and fade in minutes on others.

Concerning Bellodgia you need the edp not the edt which is much thinner. The parfum or edp is a true kick ass carnation.
    DONNA

I liked it. I gave it a full wear once. I need to try it again so I can write my impressions.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Institution

Same here, Arwen.

Slap the word "dandy" anywhere in the advertising text and you will have me running to sample.
    "The sunset is deeper and longer. The scent of the jasmine is stronger." Miracles. Pet Shop Boys

"Thick dome of jasmine
    (Under the dense canopy where the white jasmine),
    Blends with the rose,
    (That blends with the rose),"
    "The Flower Duet," Lakme by Leo Delibes, 1881

Basenotes Plus

I found it to be quite linear and it just wasn't captivating enough to be linear. I do have to commend Lutens/Sheldrake for constructing a photorealistic vase of carnations though.
    The Candy Perfume Boy:One boy's obsession with perfume and all things smelly.

Follow Fragrant Reviews on twitter for fragrance reviews in under 140 characters. Reviews by Candy Perfume Boy & GBlue.

I've just been sent this. I agree, it is like a photo accurate pixellated perfume, neither right nor awful, but it doesn't strike me as a high end perfume. I want the real oil painting, not the repro print......

I've tried many a serge lutens and this is a funny one for him that I rank alongside that l'eau one. Has he gone all minimalist? Where is his trademark complexity and the taking a scent for a walk type of perfume journey that I like going on?

I need to wash this off actually. It's just giving me a headache..... sorry serge.

P.S. It's not in the directory....
    Currently wearing: Diorling by Christian Dior

L'Eau(which I hate), actually it was Nuit de Cellophane started his move away from the Big complex oriental fragrances. I also dislike Cellophane though others loved it. Then came Bas de Soie a hit for me I liked the cool metalic vibe of the iris and hyacinth on a warm base. Finally Vitriol d'Oillet which again a hit from my point. Jeux de Peau is well not sure, I liked it but the dry down sandalwood wise is too similar to Santal Blanc which I already own.

The directory can be weird what appears quickly and things like this out for ages still not there.
    DONNA

I got a sample recently too...it's truly, truly terrible. I can't believe they even released it. I've disliked the past few...Jeux de Peau was okay, but unnecessary, Cellophane, Bas de Soie and L'Eau were all bad, but Vitriol is really the worst thing I've smelled in ages.

Basenotes Institution

LOL, Dane I didn't think it was that bad. Do you like carnation prominent scents?
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Je Reviens by Worth

Wow, that's a harsh assessment. I've used up my sample and thought it was quite good but it just wasn't naturalistic, complex and plain lutenesque enough for me

I have come to the conclusion that it smells like a vase of dying flowers. Water is going brown and needs to be tipped out.
    Its like a bouquet from an old boyfriend that is the last living thing representing the relationship. She still wont let it go, instead clinging to the dirty water as if it were hope itself.

I still love you Uncle Serge, but this one is very tedious for me. I'm only clinging to it because its yours.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Already owning and loving L'Artisan's wonderful Oilliet Sauvage and CdG's Carnation, the Lutens was quite underwhelming. On its own merits, it would be a good introduction to someone new to carnation.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!
    Currently wearing: cK be by Calvin Klein

I find I like this the more I wear it.

The peppery/clovey rose/carnation is a fresh daytime scent.
    "The sunset is deeper and longer. The scent of the jasmine is stronger." Miracles. Pet Shop Boys

"Thick dome of jasmine
    (Under the dense canopy where the white jasmine),
    Blends with the rose,
    (That blends with the rose),"
    "The Flower Duet," Lakme by Leo Delibes, 1881