Code of Conduct

Default "6 ways Your Sense of Smell Is Secretly Controlling your mind" Cracked Article

I often visit this site for random crap, and comedy articles, lo and behold, they put up a smell article today .

http://www.cracked.com/article_19391...your-mind.html

#3 though i'm sure everyone knows of in the BN community. It's basically what gets us into scents.

Default Re: "6 ways Your Sense of Smell Is Secretly Controlling your mind" Cracked Article

Interesting. Thanks.

Blog Entries

Default Re: "6 ways Your Sense of Smell Is Secretly Controlling your mind" Cracked Article

Cool!

Loved this graphic. I can just give the URL for this image whenever a noob asks why Acqua di Gio is so popular.

Thanks for this, it is pretty interesting indeed.

#1. Make You More Attractive (But Not in the Way You Think)
    Entire multibillion dollar industries are built upon the idea that smelling good gets you dates...
    Because horse souls smell like f*cking.

If you smell a certain scent when you're studying for an exam, like say you are baking a pie while you read your notes, and then bring the smell back on exam day, like if you bring the pie with you, science says your score will improve.
    Oh yes. I need to try this.

Nice spoof on the science of smell.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

In a recent study conducted by the University of Liverpool, they had some guys spray themselves with Lynx (the English version of Axe Body Spray). Then they had women rate the men's attractiveness ... via videotape. As in, they were out of smelling range. The men who sprayed themselves down were still rated as more attractive, even though the women couldn't smell them.

But How?

According to the scientists running the experiment, the power was inside the men the whole time. The guys given the scented spray figured they smelled good, so their body language displayed more confidence, and the women who watched them responded to that.

Quote Originally Posted by adonis View Post
    In a recent study conducted by the University of Liverpool, they had some guys spray themselves with Lynx (the English version of Axe Body Spray). Then they had women rate the men's attractiveness ... via videotape. As in, they were out of smelling range. The men who sprayed themselves down were still rated as more attractive, even though the women couldn't smell them.

But How?

According to the scientists running the experiment, the power was inside the men the whole time. The guys given the scented spray figured they smelled good, so their body language displayed more confidence, and the women who watched them responded to that.
    Haha, makes sense! A self-fulfilling prophecy gone right!

Guest05

Last edited by Guest05; 10th March 2012 at 05:52 AM.

Awesome article. I love cracked.com.

Pretty funny and the greatest part is, the article does not take itself too seriously

Cracked.com is one of my favorite websites. Very funny stuff, with some interesting information you don't expect.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Dependent

I knew most of that information but I liked the comedic writing, solid. Thanks for the link!

That freckly girl is cute. But I still find Acqua di Gio is searing harsh chemical gunk.

Fun read, and interesting too.

I had read before here on Basenotes (but what thread or post?) of people using scent to study and memorize better. Wearing a particular fragrance when studying a certain subject or chapter, and wearing the very same fragrance on exam day for that subject. With good results.
    Or how to put a good wardrobe to even better use
    Vivre d’erreurs et de parfums.

Pour comprendre le bonheur, il faut le voir comme étant une récompense et jamais un but. (Antoine de St Exupéry).

Basenotes Member

So...since I've become interested in fragrances, I pretty much wear something nice 24/7. Does this mean I've become more confident as a whole?

Great article, thanks for posting!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Laureline View Post
    Fun read, and interesting too.

I had read before here on Basenotes (but what thread or post?) of people using scent to study and memorize better. Wearing a particular fragrance when studying a certain subject or chapter, and wearing the very same fragrance on exam day for that subject. With good results.
    Or how to put a good wardrobe to even better use
    lt is a fun read, but there are also parts such as this one that l found particularly interesting.

The other part was the one about scent triggering memories without one being aware of it. l myself often get memories flashing into my mind that are seemingly unrelated to where l am & what l'm doing, & l've often wondered why. Reading this article, l experienced an "Aha!" moment; so *that's* where that comes from! Next time this happens l will pay more attention to the scents in my surroundings, & try to spot the connection.

lsn't the human brain a complex & wonderful thing? Thanks for posting this!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.