Code of Conduct

Default Just Went Blind On Caron Pour Un Homme!

I really have no idea whether I'll like it or not, but something about it has been drawing me in, calling me.

I have a funny feeling about this one.

Default Re: Just Went Blind On Caron Pour Un Homme!

My bet is that you will. It's a great scent IMO.

It's one of the safest blind buys out there. High likelihood for enjoyment. Congrats. Good call on this one.

Nice.

It's good to hear the vets support this one. It was this or Gendarme 20 (never tried before)...or Endymion (which I have sampled and like).

Wait for the dry down. It's the best part.

Awesome stuff
    “Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

I read so much about it here and other forums, I blind bought it too. No regrets.

Very simplistic scent. Lavender and vanilla.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 17th September 2011 at 03:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    First 20 mins or so made this one a scrubber for me. If you can endure the opening you will find a really good scent for the price.

Then what your name be if you didnt make blind buys, blindsbuy. I may just blind buy this one right now, been meaning to try Caron Pour un homme myself. Let us know how you like it.

on me it is very dependant on weather. it acts best in a cool, dry, sunny, somewhat windy day. it falls apart completely in a humid hot weather. also, i believe sweat ruins it very easily.
    really great scent, unfortunately performs inconsistently for me.

I did a blind buy on Caron pour un Homme earlier this year and I was very satisfied with the results. I think you'll also like it.

If there is a safe blind buy, then CpuH qualifies for it. If you really dislike it, it'll do as a gift for a relative.

Btw, if you are really in NY, there are places to smell the masculine Carons, like Barneys, Bergdorf Goodman, Clydes. So you can check also Troisieme Homme and Yatagan.

cacio

I have a mini of it - Lavender and vanilla is all you'll get.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

You just blind-bought a very good frag. Enjoy!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

I blind bought it but I still have not received it after 6 weeks! I am thinking it will never come. Just ordered another bottle. Can't wait to try this.

Good fragrance, it's a very good choice to buy this.

Wonderful choice!

Quote Originally Posted by volley2 View Post
    agree

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

_

It's a great one but it bores me.
    Last edited by pluran; 27th April 2012 at 11:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    It's a far more complex fragrance than "lavender vanilla", but it's easy to mistake it as such due to its exceptional blending. I'd much rather wear it than the heavy-handed Musc Ravageur, which is largely lavender vanilla and owes a lot to Pour un Homme.
    I agree on both of these points.

Sur la Plage

Enjoy - it's a great one!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

> Just Went Blind On Caron Pour Un Homme!

Spray it on your neck, not your eyes...

On a more serious note, the opening is pretty stark (the Rosemary with the Lavender is quite a herbal blast), but once the vanillic notes come in, its all good. This is actually my favourite part, the overlap.

Oh man, now I'm really excited about this one. Thanks for the replies!

I especially enjoy those frags with a bit of a harsh opening that transform into something smooth and beautiful in the end.

I'll be sure to resurrect this thread when I get it and let you all know my thoughts. I can't wait!

Maybe it's just me but the base reminds me of DHI. and for that reason alone its worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post

Hahahahahahahaa!!

Quote Originally Posted by andym72 View Post

Ha! I just noticed this comment and chuckled.

Nice.

One of two things worth going blind over.

I got my first bottle of it blind and now it's my avatar...I loved everything about it...Don't know if I'll keep the avatar but I know Caron PUH and I will be best friends for many years to come...
    Last edited by be-bop; 6th December 2011 at 07:07 PM.
    "Music Is My Mistress, and She Plays Second Fiddle To No One"-Ellington

Quote Originally Posted by be-bop View Post
    I got my first bottle of it blind and now it's my avatar...I loved everything about it...Don't know if I'll keep the avatar but I know Caron PUH and I will be best friends for many years to come...
    Excellent.

With my skin chemistry, the label on the bottle should say "Migraine Pour Un Homme." LOL.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 7th December 2011 at 09:29 PM.

I wore it today. It is indeed very good. I feel that I give nothing away while wearing it - so discreet it is, and it being a scent that accents its wearer rather than defining him. (Though arguably it is a tad unconventional to wear lavender/vanilla - if not austere, to wear it so deceptively simply).

It can be difficult to 'get', reserving its mysteries, so to speak. If I hadn't smelled it on a burly police officer one grittily hardbitten and noir-ish night, I wouldn't have realised its potential excellence, but dismissed it out of hand. It actually took me a week's experimenting before I realised how to make it work for me. Doubtless some people click with it instantly, though.

I think it's very overrated. But, I guess with its cheap enough price tag, it is ok. My problem is that I don't like musk at all, and this one is pretty musky. Although the musk in it is clean. I also dislike the apple cider accord in this.

If you enjoy lavender this is a great choice. If you want a another great but ridiculously expensive lavender scent, try a sample of A Taste of Heaven By Killian. Good luck!

This was quite low on my to sample list based on vanilla being a key player, despite loving caron to bits.
    Then I saw all the "similar to a taste of heaven" comments and thought I'd give it a shot.
    Went through about 5ml, and still no. Another forum favorite that keeps me scratching my head.

And no, it's not similar to a taste of heaven.

This is the only men's Caron I don't like, although I haven't tried Yuzu Man yet. I'm a big fan of Yatagan and L'Anarchiste and I like Third Man sometimes, but I've never warmed up to this one.

I find it smells quite differently depending on how it's applied - dousing oneself can really bring out the lavender, more diffusely means more vanilla. Personally, I find it likes to be absorbed by cloth, and not to to be openly exposed to the air. Benefits by a full wearing, too - just applying it to one's wrists or the like doesn't bring out its more interesting qualities. (Not that I suggest anyone posting their dislike of it here has done that - I can see it's not for everyone. It can be hard to 'get', requiring not only some luck but also a rather low-key set of expectations.)
    Last edited by Merely; 8th December 2011 at 05:39 AM.

I need to write up a blog entry on the subject of frag construction and why some like a particular type of construction while others don't. Basically, CPUH is a "blob" frag. There isn't enough note separation for those of use who want a diffuse, "particulate" effect, though of course many probably don't realize that is what they are seeking and just find CPUH irritating, cloying, etc.

I can definitely see how folks enjoy Caron pour un Homme and not A Taste of Heaven or Gris Clair for that matter. However, because they are lavender scents, they naturally have some similarities. It is correct to say that they are very different fragrances A Taste of Heaven is much more complex than Caron pour un Homme. Gris Clair is darker in character and fits nicely in the Serge Lutens mold. In many cases it's not the lavender that determines which fragrance I prefer, its's what goes with it. In my experience, a Taste of Heaven surpasses Caron pour un Homme; better ingredients and it doesn't have that unpleasant note that quite possibly only I detect in the top notes. Only draw back is the price. Caron wins that contest hands down.

To update this post as I said I would:

I did a side by side comparison of Caron Pour un Homme and A Taste of Heaven not too long ago. A Taste of Heaven demolished it.

So I got a bottle of ATOH and now, CPUH sits on the back of the shelf.

I liked it when I got it, but after experiencing ATOH it was never the same.

Basenotes Plus

I know this may sound funny, but you cannot truly "blind-buy" a classic scent like Caron Pour un Homme that has been around for over 75 years and has, literally, thousands upon thousands of descriptive reviews giving you insight (and also a very limited scent pyramid).

I understand that you put A Taste of Heaven ahead of it - for the price, you better.

How you apply CPuH is essential to what you get - I have written about this before, but it was just mentioned above by Merely. You have to put this on heavy! Numerous close sprays onto pulse points and clothing is essential! I even reapply after 10-15 minutes to make a layer effect. The lavender shines that way and longevity is very good. A light wearing did not appeal to me and I did some trial & error along with research.

It is now one of my absolute favorite "fresh" scents after a shower - year-round! I prefer to wear it at home - but will definitely go out in public with it. The question is...where am I going and what is the activity? This is refined and a perfect scent to wear to a bookstore, meet a friend for a cup of coffee and conversation or just relax in the warmth of the park.

A "scent" more than a fragrance is Caron Pour Un Homme to me - and that scent is beautiful if applied correctly. The opposite of Vintage Kouros - where less is more. The more, the better with CPuH!

Cheers & enjoy!

ericrico
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

Fresh from a shower, there's nothing better. Zingy green lavender opening that warms to one of the most casual and relaxed vanillas around. Entirely unpretentious and refined at the same time. My absolute favorite.

I did a blind too. First 15 minutes are daring. The lavender stays good and smooth after that. Then, i get a smell like caramel mixed with rum which is different from the suggary vanilla of most contemporary scents. Overall, i am starting to like it.

Basenotes Plus

An enthusiastic +1!!!

Thank you, lupin! It is my absolute favorite out-of-the-shower scent as well (in the evenings mainly). I love your description - "zingy green lavender". As I've described, if you apply close to the skin (the fragrance creating nothing larger than a quarter (or smaller) on your skin and liberally apply (and then reapply), you keep this wonderful lavender that stimulates the senses like no other much longer. I have likened it to taking a fresh blade off a lavender plant, breaking it to release the essential oil and rubbing it on your skin. Zingy and green...perfect! You get the true smell of what lavender is (an herb that just happens to flower).

Enjoy this classic beauty, for it is truly special!

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by lupin View Post
    Fresh from a shower, there's nothing better. Zingy green lavender opening that warms to one of the most casual and relaxed vanillas around. Entirely unpretentious and refined at the same time. My absolute favorite.
    Last edited by ericrico; 29th January 2014 at 01:26 AM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

Caron PuH is one of the best male fragrances ever made.
    Do yourself a favor, buy and enjoy this fragrance.
    If you really love fragrances, then you could never imagine a collection without Caron fragrances.

It was made in 1934, but still timeless and modern.

I always wear with 5 sprays on my neck and I never get tired.

It is my signature scent and women love it!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ericrico View Post
    ...As I've described, if you apply close to the skin (the fragrance creating nothing larger than a quarter (or smaller) on your skin and liberally apply (and then reapply), you keep this wonderful lavender that stimulates the senses like no other much longer....
    Thanks for the advice. I am going to try that next time I wear CPUH. I wore it this morning (layered on top of some Agua Lavanda) and it smelled fantastic all day.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Does anybody else have samples of new and vintage? I do, and the difference is big - but what really surprised me was how much I enjoy the current version. Granted, I have no idea how vintage my vintage sample really is, and there's a good chance that maybe it's a little off. Pour un Homme de Caron dates back to the 1930s, so it's surely been through countless reformulations. I can't even imagine what the original juice smelled like... but the current version really is quite good! Thumbs way up!
    In my swap list: Gucci Pour Homme (2003) BNIB.
    I'm looking for Reflection Man or Andy Warhol (silver bottle w/Andy's face)

I cant stand strong lavender so this one is not for me.
    *BASENOTES SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/289345-
    *CRYSTAL FLACON SPLITS*
    Creed Green Irish Tweed, Millesime Imperial, AVENTUS
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=927#927

*BIG SALE- Chanel, Dior, Creed, Mona di Orio, Puredistance....
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/383...re#post3178152

Basenotes Plus

Perfectly said -

I have bottles of both, including a 500ml bottle of Current Formulation EdT...after thinking about my preferred way of applying by spraying very close to my skin. Now, I simply splash it on! It is brilliant! So truly vibrant and stimulating, yet the wonderful dry down is still there.

I will only buy splash bottles in the future! My wife loves it so much as well and she has worn it as a comfort scent. This is not only "Pour Un Homme", but "Pour Une Vie"...for all of us to enjoy!

It will never smell 'dated'. My Vintage juice is all wonderful, but shows different and unique. I have Vintage Caron Lavandes Les Plus Belles and it smells wonderful (more citric on top, more noticeable wood in the heart and warm depth in the base).

The scent pyramid for that older bottling is:

Top notes: Bergamot, Lavender, Lemon, Rosemary

Middle/Heart: Cedarwood, Clary Sage, Rose, Rosewood

Base: Oakmoss, Musk, Tonka Bean, Vanilla

In ANY formulation, it is simply, divine!

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Does anybody else have samples of new and vintage? I do, and the difference is big - but what really surprised me was how much I enjoy the current version. Granted, I have no idea how vintage my vintage sample really is, and there's a good chance that maybe it's a little off. Pour un Homme de Caron dates back to the 1930s, so it's surely been through countless reformulations. I can't even imagine what the original juice smelled like... but the current version really is quite good! Thumbs way up!

Basenotes Plus

Wonderful, mikeperez23!

I can refresh several times during a day with Agua Lavanda splashed on...it never takes away from the wonderful base of CPUH.

Glad you enjoyed it!

Cheers,

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I am going to try that next time I wear CPUH. I wore it this morning (layered on top of some Agua Lavanda) and it smelled fantastic all day.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for the nudge - I'll wear this tomorrow..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found a vintage mini in a small shop in Paris, and when I first put it on, it seemed that the top notes had turned... but after five minutes, there was the warmest and most sensual vanilla / lavender combo, I don't even like vanilla, but I was smitten... the turned top notes don't bother me at all since the base is so great... however I wonder if some of the green notes haven't disappeared as well (the sample, one of those 10ml boxes they used to do back in the day, was really old), since I get a very warm vanilla and nothing green about it. Regardless it is excellent.