Code of Conduct

Default Tried a Few New Releases - Kokorico, Eau dŽIkar etc.

Kokorico - Gaultier seems to have taken an A-men route on this one. Only a little bit, but I notice a choco note and plenty of vanilla. ItŽs actually much better than Amen in my books, and the drydown is OUT OF THIS WORLD !!....a beautiful powdery fond, which has echos of the old Guerlain fonds. Yes the drydown on this is EXQUISITE.

Eau dŽIkar - True to Sisley form, a distinguished dry fragrance, with a tiny touch of the Eau du Soir greeness in there, as well as a pinch of Eau de Campagne. The opening reminds me of the classic formula of Vent Vert a little bit. Sharp, dry, clean, bitter. Very well executed. The drydown gives way to a nice grassy green.

LŽHomme Libre - I was expecting something really bad, but I was actually pleasantly surprised by this. To me it still carries the hallmark of a cheap synthetic for the masses, but is a lot better than most of the other stuff out there.
    It has a low key fruitiness that I like, but itŽs been done before - many times, and for my nose it teeters on the edge of drugsore.
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Default Re: Tried a Few New Releases - Kokorico, Eau dŽIkar etc.

Glad to hear your findings were positive. I should be receiving the first one today and hope to purchase the other two soon.

Was given a sample of Libre yesterday so will work through that this week. Eau D'Ikar is great & on my to buy list and I hope to try Kokorico ASAP!

IŽve since tried Kokorico several times and like it very much, but it really reminds me of another fragrance. I canŽt put my finger on it, but I think it was a much older fragrance - itŽs very similar! I hope that someone else, after trying it, will be able to help me work out which fragrance it was.
    .......itŽs really bugging me now.

......itŽs definitely one of the older fig fragrances it is very similar to. Perhaps Dune pour Homme, Goodlife, or Un Jardin en Méditerranée.
    IŽm pretty sure itŽs one of these......IŽve cracked it !!!

.....even so, the drydown transition is something else....... OUTSTANDING !

david, what is projection and longevity like for Kokorico? I heard it's very close to the skin.

....just one more point, then I promise to shut up.
    The flacon design is not ridiculous.....itŽs ingenious. A real work of art. I am very sure it will win many awards. It s fantastic the way the image changes to reveal a very realistic side-on-view silhouette of a torso as you turn the flacon......
    Very Daliesque !
    Last edited by david; 18th September 2011 at 07:18 PM.

Regarding the Kokorico scent here is a link to a review who claims it is a copy of Guerlains L'Instant Extreme. A interesting read:

http://1000fragrances.blogspot.com/2...ltier-new.html

Quote Originally Posted by Knappa90 View Post
    david, what is projection and longevity like for Kokorico? I heard it's very close to the skin.
    For the moment IŽm giving just one short spray on card and one short spray on the skin. I prefer to explore a fragrance that way.....rather than overdosing and ending up hating it. Even the way IŽm doing it, it still quite punchy at first, but very rapidly settles down. It doesnŽt seem to take long before it evolves into the final drydown state. I feel I donŽt yet know it well enough to comment on the projection and longtivity, but my first impressions are that it is very close to the skin after the rapid drydown.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Regarding the Kokorico scent here is a link to a review who claims it is a copy of Guerlains L'Instant Extreme. A interesting read:

Thanks for the link Jack !
    This is very interesting, because in my review I mentioned the exquisite drydown reminding me of the classic Guerlain fond.
    Perhaps LŽInstant pour Homme Extreme is the fragrance it reminds me of, rather than one of those fig fragrances I mentioned.
    IŽm confused now !.......and I donŽt have LŽInstant Extreme, to make a comparison.

This could be the fragrance that could be a replacement for people who find L'Instant Extreme hard to come by as it is not sold everywhere like in the States for example. I will have to test this one out to see if it is a good replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post

I don't even see the word "extreme" in this read . He mentions L'instant de guerlain in general ( probably means both versions).
    But he didn't specify the EDP solely , unless i missed the word "extreme " somewhere ...
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

It is mentioned near the end though this one is not released until January in the UK but with the fig notes it will be interesting to see how this measures up to the Guerlain's. Though I do not think it is going to better than either of the L'Instant versions it could be a worthy purchase in its own right. Only time will tell.

Maybe David can try the L'Instants and tell us the tale of the tape so to speak.lol

yes David. we're depending on you . I'm actually VERY interested now to see the similarities after i read Jack's link .
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

This morning I visited one of the local perfumeries and tried LŽInstant Pour Homme Extreme.
    Now, to put everyone out of their misery.........or perhaps I should say, to put everyone in the firing line of misery........
    Kokorico is a blatent copy of LŽInstant Pour Homme Extreme.
    I agree 100% with every word of the brilliant in-depth review that Jack provided in the link. The guy who wrote the review has got it spot on. It is indeed an inferior copy with chunks missing and is badly structured, so that it heads much too rapidly into drydown status. Re-trying LŽInstant Pour Homme Extreme has made me do a u-turn on Kokorico. LŽInstant Extreme is about one thousand times better. The superb drydown in Kokorico is different from LŽIntsant Extreme, but it pales in comparison. itŽs slightly abraisive, containing the merest hint of fig and an even smaller trace of a note which reminds me of Nag Champa, (blue packet) incense sticks. ItŽs interesting, but not different enough to warrant investing in Kokorico in addition to LŽInstant Extreme. But I do have a suggestion for those who are in awe of LŽ Instant Pour Homme Extreme and would like something similar, but different enough to have its own individual character. Try : Carven Homme, (1999 release). Checkout the many fantastic reviews of this fragrance. Carven Homme stands shoulders to shoulders with LŽInstant Pour Homme Extreme.

Thanks for the in-depth review David .

From my side of the triangle, i already have L'instant extreme.
    Once i run out, i will sure take a look at Carven Homme .
    Who knows, maybe Kokorico will be pleasant to my nose as well.
    Nothing hurts in testing and finding out !

Thanks David for taking the time to try L'Instant Extreme and do a comparison.

I also compared LŽInstant edt with Kokorico and didnŽt think think they were that similar , at least It didnŽt give me the idea the were trying to make a blatant copy. So I didnŽt agree with the review. I like both though.

Koko did remind me a bit of another Menardo,Cresp creation though, being Armani Attitude, with the coffee note replaced with a coco note.

I tried Kokorico yesterday, it instantly reminded me of Guerlain L'Instant, but not as complex and mature as Guerlain. Anyone who finds Guerlain L'Instant too strong and deep, can find Kokorico very wearable and interesting. Not a bad scent, Kokorico is not a brand new scent, either.

Quote Originally Posted by YEAHBUDDY View Post
    Was given a sample of Libre yesterday so will work through that this week. Eau D'Ikar is great & on my to buy list and I hope to try Kokorico ASAP!
    Libre is certified shower gel/body spray dogshit. An absolute disgrace.

Quote Originally Posted by YEAHBUDDY View Post
    Libre is certified shower gel/body spray dogshit. An absolute disgrace.
    Hmmm

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    I also compared LŽInstant edt with Kokorico and didnŽt think think they were that similar , at least It didnŽt give me the idea the were trying to make a blatant copy. So I didnŽt agree with the review. I like both though.

Koko did remind me a bit of another Menardo,Cresp creation though, being Armani Attitude, with the coffee note replaced with a coco note.
    Please try another comparison between Kokorico and LŽ Instant pour Homme Extreme and NOT LŽInstant edt. LŽInstant Extreme and LŽ Instant edt are two completely different fragrances. I detest LŽinstant pour Homme edt.....it has an awful shoe polish/ furniture polish note in it. By contrast the extreme version does not contain this note and is heavenly. These two versions of LŽInstant are as different as chalk and cheese.