Code of Conduct

Default Versace The Dreamer

it smells like baby powder on my skin!!!

some basenoters talked about the tobacco drydown, but i get this baby powder scent in the drydown and then it fades (after 1 / 2 hours).

Default Re: Versace The Dreamer

Quote Originally Posted by Picollo30 View Post
    Never was a fan of this fragrance.

I like it a lot. It does smell like tobacco to me and I get a very masculine floral!

All i get is tobacco and vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by Picollo30 View Post

some basenoters talked about the tobacco drydown, but i get this baby powder scent in the drydown and then it fades (after 1 / 2 hours).
    You must have some very powerful Baby powder where you live.

Try spraying some on a piece of paper and see what it smells like there.
    Renato

Sometimes it smells like that too on my skin but I love it so much in the normal times
    Try burberry touch to know the real meaning of baby powder
    Can you post some pictures of your box?
    Top 10 :
    1-Strictly Private Baldessarini
    2-Pure Havane
    3-Midnight in Paris
    4-Amber Sultan -- Chergui
    5-Dunhill Desire -- Aigner Black
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    6-Seduction in Black -- La nuit de L'homme
    7-Angel Schlesser oriental edition II -- J.del Puzo Arabian Nights
    8-Versace PH -- Versace The Dreamer
    9-Mont Blanc Individuele -- Mont Blanc Legend
    10-Dirty English -- CK Shock -- CH men

sure i will try to upload some

its tobacco flower, not straight tobacco, the two are not the same at all.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

Basenotes Junkie Vitamin B Complex's Avatar

It smells beautiful.

I get indeed the same mentioned tobacco note and it usually outlasts 1 1/2 hours

I've tried my sample a few times now, and it's growing on me a bit. I still am not a big fan though. I dislike tobacco as a scent , and honestly, the opening of The Dreamer smells like a wet ashtray to me for the first few minutes.

I think this fragrance probably appeals most to smokers or fans of tobacco smells. As someone who doesn't like tobacco at all, I find it a hard one to enjoy. To me, the tobacco note is by far the most notable in the scent.

This is a beautiful scent, the powdery laundry smell it is unbelievable. I want to cuddle myself when I smell it. Lovely stuff.

I dont' get the burning cigarette/cigar association with The Dreamer.

To my nose, it smells like sweet, moist Tobacco leaves curing and fermenting in relative humidity in the production stables (pre-rolling) waiting to be processed. The dry down smells like clean laundry airing out on a clothesline. I get the same vibe with Pure Havane too. Both fantastic frags which deliver this experience.

Freshly rolled cigars/cigarettes

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin B Complex View Post
    This is a beautiful scent, the powdery laundry smell it is unbelievable. I want to cuddle myself when I smell it. Lovely stuff.
    thats exactly what i get with the dreamer. fresh powdery laundry smell. I dont get any tobacco or vanilla

Quote Originally Posted by fitch256 View Post
    its tobacco flower, not straight tobacco, the two are not the same at all.
    Your a quick and smart guy. I was about to say the same thing. Its crazy how many people say The Dreamer smells like tobacco. I've always thought it was floral and sweet ( surely there is vanilla).

It also gets compared to Dolce & Gabanna pour Homme. Do they smell the same ? I really don't think so. But I think it is because :

a) They are both old school "clubbin" fragrances
    b) Italian Designers
    c) Sweet
    d) People think they both have tobacco.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge, Concentrť D'Orange Verte...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

The Dreamer was awfully reformulated one or two years ago. Boxes are different, so you can know which version you have, but if you do not smell tobacco you probably have the reformulated version.

The baby powder you're getting is the huge dose of coumarin in this scent, coupled with the clean clary sage note.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I think it's a fantasic scent. I have gotten nothing but compliments when wearing it, as a matter of fact I got one today (obviously The Dreamer is my SOTD).

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    The baby powder you're getting is the huge dose of coumarin in this scent, coupled with the clean clary sage note.
    I should have mentioned in my original post that I am referring to the new formulation. I've not smelled the old formulation in years and can't recall it (or how/how much it differed) clearly.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    It also gets compared to Dolce & Gabanna pour Homme. Do they smell the same ? I really don't think so. But I think it is because :

a) They are both old school "clubbin" fragrances
    b) Italian Designers
    c) Sweet
    d) People think they both have tobacco.
    I definitely think there is some sort of synthetic, tobacco vibe these both share. With Dreamer, I've even gotten a little bit of chocolate, D&G it's soap or something. In fairness, I might also make an illogical connection with both as I'm at the very bottom of their bottles, and - while I don't dislike either - have decided not to replace them

hmm..i felt it was gritty...but i sampled it only once in a mall.. will sample it again...

talking about baby powder...you need to try burberry touch

Love it, itīs one my top compliment getters. Itīs a lovely scent that distinguishes from so many other scents. Thereīs something mysterious about this scent that is hard to describe, kind of like the vibe I get when wearing Xeryus Rouge (another enigmatic scent).
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

Versace The Dreamer = Banana Republic Classic

'nuff said.

I used to own this one but it was of late hour that I started to appreciate it, after I got rid of it, of course. Not that it grieves me much for not owning it, but it is quite a classic and unique scent that draws attention. I just might reconsider and have it as part of my collection again.

I've got a small 30ml bottle arriving tomorrow, looking forward to trying it!

This is one of my favorites from my 60+ bottle collection and is definitely in the top 10 if not top 5. It is powdery but not baby powder like Versace Blue Jeans or Burberry Brit. It definitely has a tobacco note in it that reminds me of D&G pour homme and the powderyness reminds me of Le Male. A good combination. Very romantic and very VERY strong at first. It lasts over 12 hours easy.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

It is indeed , very powdery . I do detect a hint of tobacco in the dry down but it is far from being a prominent note in the scent. And wow , the opening of the dreamer is very very harsh but the beautiful dry down alone makes this fragrance buy-worthy.

I get the smell of fresh linen scented fabric softener out of this more than anything.

i love it. very remniscent of the 90's...unique. a keeper.

My bottle just came in, opening is rather harsh and synthetic. Gets betters as it settles, I'm getting a big whiff of fresh soapy linen laundry with a very faint fruitiness (cherry) in the back ground. Not blown away as of yet!

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    My bottle just came in, opening is rather harsh and synthetic. Gets betters as it settles, I'm getting a big whiff of fresh soapy linen laundry with a very faint fruitiness (cherry) in the back ground. Not blown away as of yet!
    Yeah it does have a tiny cherry smell in there. I could smell JOOP! Homme in it very, very faintly in the drydown.

Also the fresh laundry smell is beautiful, I love it just after a shower.

Quote Originally Posted by Vitamin B Complex View Post
    Yeah it does have a tiny cherry smell in there. I could smell JOOP! Homme in it very, very faintly in the drydown.

Also the fresh laundry smell is beautiful, I love it just after a shower.
    It's not bad, it's very metallic smelling, reminds me of hotel soap and sheets. Some faint vanilla sweetness in the background, getting some slight tobacco in there somewhere.

Where can you sample the dreamer in the UK? Is it carried by any of the larger stores?

I've searched but to no avail as yet.

Debenhams website has it at £21 for 50ml (not that I'm tempting anyone into blind-buying ). So I expect they might have it in-store too.

I'm at the dry down stage now and to be honest I'm not impressed unfortunately. All I'm getting is a freshly opened packed of cigarettes and a lightly soapy linen. Very transparent and metallic, with an Iso Super E feel.

I get Powdery Potpourri. I do detect a faint hint of tobacco initially.

The Dreamer is a scent I really do not wear enough. The drydown is really nice, but I sometimes wonder what the hell they were thinking, when they cooked up that messy opening. I do get some tobacco, especially in the beginning, but this one is about the sweetness with a soapy tinge, to me anyway. An aspect mentioned by previous posters, who have experienced a laundry/soap like scent
    - Mark

…GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE! …GOŌSTE!

"OOOOOOH WHAT A GOAL! IT'S DANNY ROSE, ON HIS PREMIER LEAGUE DEBUT, WITH A MEMORABLE STRIKE!"

Are you an oenophile? Join our wine group! http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=108

Quote Originally Posted by Duke Hunt View Post
    I'm at the dry down stage now and to be honest I'm not impressed unfortunately. All I'm getting is a freshly opened packed of cigarettes and a lightly soapy linen. Very transparent and metallic, with an Iso Super E feel.
    I didn't think much of it when I first bought it (blind). But after a 6 month sentence in the Cupboard of Shame I tried it again and liked it. Don't send it to the chair yet, it might mend its ways

Didn't enjoy it, or D&G PH, or Cuba Gold. For me Le Male beats all of these by a country mile.

No baby powder for me.....none at all.....Gary

Vanilla, tobacco, florals, something semi smoky. Very, very, very nice in the right weather and sprayed in the right amounts. in my top 5 scent wise.

I think this scent is a masterpiece and a classic. I get a lot of tobacco and lily's and some vanilla this is one, if not my favourite cologne right now. For some it takes awhile to get to truly appreciate it but to each there own right. It might be discontinued so grab a bottle soon, which reminds me i gotta go get a backup bottle.