Code of Conduct
    queen of the universe

Unhappy in-ƒ®üקñ–somnia!

OK it's 7-ƒ®üקñ:30 in the morning and I've been up since 2:30. Iknow, I know, I'm the wiseass who suggests counting chypres, so, seriously, what to wear? I'm thinking L'heure Bleue, but unless I shower it would be layered over Mayotte, and that just sounds wrong. Help!

Last edited by jujy54; 19th September 2011 at 05:07 AM. Reason: usual, can't tpye
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Default Re: in-ƒ®üקñ–somia!

Ouch, sorry to hear of the problem... As the usual, unrequired random suggestion: at the university, a friend of mine who was studying the psychobiology of sleep always suggested that the best way to fall asleep is to do intense physical activity (but not close to sleeping time).

Why were you wearing Mayotte? (sorry, not a fan here). I was thinking of something comforting. HB certainly. Vol de Nuit. Cuir de Russie Parfum.

cacio

Basenotes Institution

(((Jujy ! ))) I hear you - insomnia sucks.
    Chypre counting - good one !

Maybe shower and you will feel better and then you can wear L'Heure Bleue for a nice easy morning . HUG.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I feel for you and your chypres. Being an insomniac with racing thoughts myself, I can manage it -- to some degree:
    1) get out of bed and do something useful -- read, knit, stitch, mend, sort papers, write letters by hand, etc.
    2) drink some green tea with a drop of milk and a spoon of honey. Very warm, almost hot, but not burning.
    3) return to bed and sleep.
    4) wake up early. Go about your usual business of the day. Stay up as long as you possibly can -- no naps this one day, no stressful thoughts, go for a walk and look at the leaves changing. Come back home and have some green tea (or, better, some sex). You will learn to sleep again.

There is also a way to change the title:
    1) Go to Edit Post (right-hand bottom);
    2) Go to Advanced;
    3) Change the title;
    4) Save changes.

Vanilla scents help me falling asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    the best way to fall asleep is to do intense physical activity (but not close to sleeping time).
    Exactly

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Another fellow insomniac here. Jujy54, I hope you get some sleep tonight, poor thing.

queen of the universe

Thanks for all the suggestions. cacio, I've been on a month-plus long mayotte binge; it makes me happy, tho I think it too summery for the cool weather coming on.

Part of my problem is that I'm a retired musician (read: night person), now substitute teaching, which means getting calls at 5:30 am if I don't line up an assignment in advance. This being the beginning of the school year after a sybaritic summer of art and lolling, I'm so afraid I won't hear my alarms (yes, plural), that I get too wound up to sleep, tho that was not the problem saturday night.

Now, to top it off, I'm having conflict with my 20-year old who is at home, more or less, which is the issue—he's wandering in and out at will, calling that "independence" and his dad, my ex, eggs him on—and would keep any mom up at night.

Lastly this is all coming after years of oversleeping.
    So, the plan: warm, not hot bath, LHB*, tea, bed. I get in a walk most late afternoons, so the exercise component has been take care of.

Thank you again, wonderful base-ists!

*Shalimar has the vanilla, so that's another possibility.
    twolf, thanks for the posting expertise. I'll get around to it!

Bonne nuit (I hope!)

Default Re: in-ƒ®üקñ–somnia!

5:30, this is brutal! When I taught (I did a few years back) I would get up perhaps 1 hr before class. Students would get up perhaps 15 minutes before, if at all, so no problem there. Other random suggestion: as an alarm clock, my roommate in college would put a timer on a vacuum cleaner. Not that I was happy about it. Perhaps neither would your son

Vanilla? then Caron pour un homme. When the lavender fades, it's just quiet calm vanilla. In the morning, then, you can set the tone for the class with Bandit, Rien, Oud Cuir d'Arabie, or similar perfumes suggesting you mean business.

cacio

Blog Entries

So sorry to hear of your sleep problems, jujy!

Great suggestions so far, & getting yourself into a routine so that your body knows when it's *time* to sleep seems like a good idea.

l would also like to add; have you tried Samsara? l haven't tried Mayotte myself, but from what l've read it's not a million miles from Samsara, & you obviously love a few Guerlains! l find Samsara deeply calming after a stressful day, & often spray my bedlinen with it for a soothing night's sleep.

Hope you manage to sort out your sleep pattern soon!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Hi there July54. I have sent you a p.m.
    I feel for you - I really do.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Another member of the club here. Operating on three hours of sleep and it shows. I'll post more when I'm lucid!
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

queen of the universe

I'm fortunate in that this only happens once or twice a month. cacio, yes, I'm thinking leather, which would go well with the cowboy boots and miniskirt I occasionally wear to the high school. Rive Gauche also works; it has cool about it.

ps - LHB last night did the trick. It has tremendous longevity on me, plus I don't develop anosmia to its notes. I'm taking in the marzipan comfiness of it as I type!

Lavender notes, even in cosmetic/fragrance/grooming products/medicine/tea/aromatherapy and beyond might also help - it's these old-fashioned remedies which often prove very effective

Another insomniac here. Recently I started playing tennis. I suck but I play till I'm exhausted - 2 hours, its been really helpful. Sometimes I even play against a wall in a parking lot if I've got nobody to play with. This has been more helpful than meds.

Another thing I do is I make playlists of music/sounds that I think will help with insomnia.

Blog Entries

Have you tried reading Proust in bed? Those long convoluted sentences put my mind in a pretzel, and then I fall asleep.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Fleurine View Post
    Have you tried reading Proust in bed? Those long convoluted sentences put my mind in a pretzel, and then I fall asleep.
    Ah, I should get back to Algebra II for Dummies. It's worked in the past.

re: Lavender. Lucky me, I have a lavender bush in my garden, and I stuff a little ladybug pillow full of the leaves and flowers. Nothing like the real thing. I also add it to my epsom salt bath.

Another one here with horrendous sleep problems - 32 years of chronic insomnia made worse by medication which has completely wrecked the 'normal', perhaps one should say 'usual' brain patterns, to the extent that my brain no longer differentiates between night and day - so I'm wide awake during the 'nay' or dight', if you see what I mean. It's bloody awful and accounts for my BN name, since the BigChypre coming my way is likely to be the one that needs no alarm clock...
    I wish I could offer helpful suggestions but nothing has ever worked for me; I'm even hard to anaesthetise and always come round way before time.
    Sleepless in Seattle? Pah! Frolicking amateurs, I thought.

Blog Entries

Another insomniac here.
    I do something similar to Wolfie's #1, but when I realize that I cannot fall asleep, I get out of bed and start writing whatever is racing through my mind. It can end up being a to-do list for tomorrow, writing down my nasty or amorous thoughts, it can be the list punctuated with the thoughts and cusses, it does not have to be coherent, whatever comes to mind. I learned this technique and it helped my insomnia greatly, often times I fell asleep wherever I was with that notebook. Later I found out about psy experiments that prove that this technique worked better than counting chypres. Although, I'd say if I had a bunch of vintage Ma Griffe bottles to count, plus some Yvresse for good measure, then many more... maybe it'll be just fine!

Basenotes Institution

Most here know I burn the candle at both ends . I cannot sleep at night and I get up early because I love sunrise .
    If I lie in bed - I can't sleep . I have to get up , walk around . At one stage my insomnia was so bad, I gave up trying to sleep and would work out at 4 am ! That much energy and nothing to do with it is terrible .
    Part of the insomnia is that I'm not a great fan of sleeping . I've been used to 'making time ' - taking time for myself and other chores from sleep hours as my son was growing .
    Anyhow - I sleep when I'm exhausted . That seems to be the summary .

Hee hee!

Reading helps a lot of people. It wakes me up (as does watching a movie or TV).

I find Twolf's #4 important for resetting the clock.

Mimi, you are a bundle of energy! For me it is all about anxiety, or "busy brain," as we call it at my house.

I have found keeping a notebook next to the bed and making a list of everything I'm worrying about helps a great deal. Funny, in the morning it doesn't look nearly as daunting. Yet this knowledge won't keep me from going through the whole insomnia cycle again.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Busy brain -- what a clever saying! I have the busy brain thing, too, Nostalgie. I can't get my mind to turn off. When I am in the grip of insomnia (I cycle in and out, depending on my level of stress or what is going on in my life) all I can do is grit my teeth and hang on, because nothing helps me, and believe me I have tried many, many things. So frustrating.

Basenotes Institution

Nostalgie and Leesee- I have 'busy brain' too ! That and the energy .......... oh lordy ! *LOL*

Many of us do it, I know... I -- like Mimi -- seem to be in Olympic/astronaut shape of health: so many years of broken sleep patterns, I learnt to sleep when I can. When I can't -- it is no big deal, there is always tomorrow (not to take a nap and everything else from #4).

Anyway, thinking of you all fondly.

Blog Entries

Just read this little gem (if this doesn't work, then try the French and if THAT doesn't work, see the doctor )

Cities of the Plain
    (Sodom et Gomorrhe)
    [Vol. 4 of Remembrance of Things Past--
    (À la Recherche du temps perdu)]

"Their honour precarious, their liberty provisional, lasting only until the discovery of their crime; their position unstable, like that of the poet who one day was feasted at every table, applauded in every theatre in London, and on the next was driven from every lodging, unable to find a pillow upon which to lay his head, turning the mill like Samson and saying like him: "The two sexes shall die, each in a place apart!"; excluded even, save on the days of general disaster when the majority rally round the victim as the Jews rallied round Dreyfus, from the sympathy--at times from the society--of their fellows, in whom they inspire only disgust at seeing themselves as they are, portrayed in a mirror which, ceasing to flatter them, accentuates every blemish that they have refused to observe in themselves, and makes them understand that what they have been calling their love (a thing to which, playing upon the word, they have by association annexed all that poetry, painting, music, chivalry, asceticism have contrived to add to love) springs not from an ideal of beauty which they have chosen but from an incurable malady; like the Jews again (save some who will associate only with others of their race and have always on their lips ritual words and consecrated pleasantries), shunning one another, seeking out those who are most directly their opposite, who do not desire their company, pardoning their rebuffs, moved to ecstasy by their condescension; but also brought into the company of their own kind by the ostracism that strikes them, the opprobrium under which they have fallen, having finally been invested, by a persecution similar to that of Israel, with the physical and moral characteristics of a race, sometimes beautiful, often hideous, finding (in spite of all the mockery with which he who, more closely blended with, better assimilated to the opposing race, is relatively, in appearance, the least inverted, heaps upon him who has remained more so) a relief in frequenting the society of their kind, and even some corroboration of their own life, so much so that, while steadfastly denying that they are a race (the name of which is the vilest of insults), those who succeed in concealing the fact that they belong to it they readily unmask, with a view less to injuring them, though they have no scruple about that, than to excusing themselves; and, going in search (as a doctor seeks cases of appendicitis) of cases of inversion in history, taking pleasure in recalling that Socrates was one of themselves, as the Israelites claim that Jesus was one of them, without reflecting that there were no abnormals when homosexuality was the norm, no anti-Christians before Christ, that the disgrace alone makes the crime because it has allowed to survive only those who remained obdurate to every warning, to every example, to every punishment, by virtue of an innate disposition so peculiar that it is more repugnant to other men (even though it may be accompanied by exalted moral qualities) than certain other vices which exclude those qualities, such as theft, cruelty, breach of faith, vices better understood and so more readily excused by the generality of men; forming a freemasonry far more extensive, more powerful and less suspected than that of the Lodges, for it rests upon an identity of tastes, needs, habits, dangers, apprenticeship, knowledge, traffic, glossary, and one in which the members themselves, who intend not to know one another, recognise one another immediately by natural or conventional, involuntary or deliberate signs which indicate one of his congeners to the beggar in the street, in the great nobleman whose carriage door he is shutting, to the father in the suitor for his daughter's hand, to him who has sought healing, absolution, defence, in the doctor, the priest, the barrister to whom he has had recourse; all of them obliged to protect their own secret but having their part in a secret shared with the others, which the rest of humanity does not suspect and which means that to them the most wildly improbable tales of adventure seem true, for in this romantic, anachronistic life the ambassador is a bosom friend of the felon, the prince, with a certain independence of action with which his aristocratic breeding has furnished him, and which the trembling little cit would lack, on leaving the duchess's party goes off to confer in private with the hooligan; a reprobate part of the human whole, but an important part, suspected where it does not exist, flaunting itself, insolent and unpunished, where its existence is never guessed; numbering its adherents everywhere, among the people, in the army, in the church, in the prison, on the throne; living, in short, at least to a great extent, in a playful and perilous intimacy with the men of the other race, provoking them, playing with them by speaking of its vice as of something alien to it; a game that is rendered easy by the blindness or duplicity of the others, a game that may be kept up for years until the day of the scandal, on which these lion-tamers are devoured; until then, obliged to make a secret of their lives, to turn away their eyes from the things on which they would naturally fasten them, to fasten them upon those from which they would naturally turn away, to change the gender of many of the words in their vocabulary, a social constraint, slight in comparison with the inward constraint which their vice, or what is improperly so called, imposes upon them with regard not so much now to others as to themselves, and in such a way that to themselves it does not appear a vice."
    posted by geoff. at 10:11 AM on March 24, 2006

And in French:

Sans honneur que précaire, sans liberté que provisoire, jusqu'à la découverte du crime; sans situation qu'instable, comme pour le poète la veille fêté dans tous les salons, applaudi dans tous les théâtres de Londres, chassé le lendemain de tous les garnis sans pouvoir trouver un oreiller où reposer sa tête, tournant la meule comme Samson et disant comme lui: "Les deux sexes mourront chacun de son côté"; exclus même, hors les jours de grande infortune où le plus grand nombre se rallie autour de la victime, comme les juifs autour de Dreyfus, de la sympathie - parfois de la société - de leurs semblables, auxquels ils donnent le dégoût de voir ce qu'ils sont, dépeint dans un miroir, qui ne les flattant plus, accuse toutes les tares qu'ils n'avaient pas voulu remarquer chez eux-mêmes et qui leur fait comprendre que ce qu'ils appelaient leur amour (et à quoi, en jouant sur le mot, ils avaient, par sens social, annexé tout ce que la poésie, la peinture, la musique, la chevalerie, l'ascétisme, ont pu ajouter à l'amour) découle non d'un idéal de beauté qu'ils ont élu, mais d'une maladie inguérissable; comme les juifs encore (sauf quelques-uns qui ne veulent fréquenter que ceux de leur race, ont toujours à la bouche les mots rituels et les plaisanteries consacrées) se fuyant les uns les autres, recherchant ceux qui leur sont le plus opposés, qui ne veulent pas d'eux, pardonnant leurs rebuffades, s'enivrant de leurs complaisances; mais aussi rassemblés à leurs pareils par l'ostracisme qui les frappe, l'opprobre où ils sont tombés, ayant fini par prendre, par une persécution semblable à celle d'Israël, les caractères physiques et moraux d'une race, parfois beaux, souvent affreux, trouvant (malgré toutes les moqueries dont celui qui, plus mêlé, mieux assimilé à la race adverse, est relativement, en apparence, le moins inverti, accable celui qui l'est demeuré davantage), une détente dans la fréquentation de leurs semblables, et même un appui dans leur existence, si bien que, tout en niant qu'ils soient une race (dont le nom est la plus grande injure), ceux qui parviennent à cacher qu'ils en sont, ils les démasquent volontiers, moins pour leur nuire, ce qu'ils ne détestent pas, que pour s'excuser, et allant chercher comme un médecin l'appendicite l'inversion jusque dans l'histoire, ayant plaisir à rappeler que Socrate était l'un d'eux, comme les Israélites disent de Jésus, sans songer qu'il n'y avait pas d'anormaux quand l'homosexualité était la norme, pas d'anti-chrétiens avant le Christ, que l'opprobre seul fait le crime, parce qu'il n'a laissé subsister que ceux qui étaient réfractaires à toute prédication, à tout exemple, à tout châtiment, en vertu d'une disposition innée tellement spéciale qu'elle répugne plus aux autres hommes (encore qu'elle puisse s'accompagner de hautes qualités morales) que de certains vices qui y contredisent comme le vol, la cruauté, la mauvaise foi, mieux compris, donc plus excusés du commun des hommes; formant une franc-maçonnerie bien plus étendue, plus efficace et moins soupçonnée que celle des loges, car elle repose sur une identité de goûts, de besoins, d'habitudes, de dangers, d'apprentissage, de savoir, de trafic, de glossaire, et dans laquelle les membres mêmes, qui souhaitent de ne pas se connaître, aussitôt se reconnaissent à des signes naturels ou de convention, involontaires ou voulus, qui signalent un de ses semblables au mendiant dans le grand seigneur à qui il ferme la portière de sa voiture, au père dans le fiancé de sa fille, à celui qui avait voulu se guérir, se confesser, qui avait à se défendre, dans le médecin, dans le prêtre, dans l'avocat qu'il est allé trouver; tous obligés à protéger leur secret, mais ayant leur part d'un secret des autres que le reste de l'humanité ne soupçonne pas et qui fait qu'à eux les romans d'aventure les plus invraisemblables semblent vrais, car dans cette vie romanesque, anachronique, l'ambassadeur est ami du forçat: le prince, avec une certaine liberté d'allures que donne l'éducation aristocratique et qu'un petit bourgeois tremblant n'aurait pas en sortant de chez la duchesse, s'en va conférer avec l'apache; partie réprouvée de la collectivité humaine, mais partie importante, soupçonnée là où elle n'est pas, étalée, insolente, impunie là où elle n'est pas devinée; comptant des adhérents partout, dans le peuple, dans l'armée, dans le temple, au bagne, sur le trône; vivant enfin, du moins un grand nombre, dans l'intimité caressante et dangereuse avec les hommes de l'autre race, les provoquant, jouant avec eux à parler de son vice comme s'il n'était pas sien, jeu qui est rendu facile par l'aveuglement ou la fausseté des autres, jeu qui peut se prolonger des années jusqu'au jour du scandale où ces dompteurs sont dévorés; jusque-là obligés de cacher leur vie, de détourner leurs regards d'où ils voudraient se fixer, de les fixer sur ce dont ils voudraient se détourner, de changer le genre de bien des adjectifs dans leur vocabulaire, contrainte sociale, légère auprès de la contrainte intérieure que leur vice, ou ce qu'on nomme improprement ainsi, leur impose non plus à l'égard des autres mais d'eux-mêmes, et de façon qu'à eux-mêmes il ne leur paraisse pas un vice.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

I gave up on the third line of the text -- I can't see the point in unstructured masses of letters in this one sentence. I guess, it is the point to lull someone into the sleeping realm. LOL

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    .......... so many years of broken sleep patterns, I learnt to sleep when I can. When I can't -- it is no big deal, there is always tomorrow .
    Twolfie- that sounds SO like me ! My sleep deficit probably runs into a decade .
    DH says I should sleep more. I tell him I can sleep when I 'm dead.

Just read this little gem (if this doesn't work, then try the French and if THAT doesn't work, see the doctor )

Cities of the Plain
    (Sodom et Gomorrhe)
    [Vol. 4 of Remembrance of Things Past--
    (À la Recherche du temps perdu)]

"Their honour precarious, their liberty provisional, lasting only until the discovery of their crime; their position unstable, like that of the poet who one day was feasted at every table, applauded in every theatre in London, and on the next was driven from every lodging, unable to find a pillow upon which to lay his head, turning the mill like Samson and saying like him: "The two sexes shall die, each in a place apart!"; excluded even, save on the days of general disaster when the majority rally round the victim as the Jews rallied round Dreyfus, from the sympathy--at times from the society--of their fellows, in whom they inspire only disgust at seeing themselves as they are, portrayed in a mirror which, ceasing to flatter them, accentuates every blemish that they have refused to observe in themselves, and makes them understand that what they have been calling their love (a thing to which, playing upon the word, they have by association annexed all that poetry, painting, music, chivalry, asceticism have contrived to add to love) springs not from an ideal of beauty which they have chosen but from an incurable malady; like the Jews again (save some who will associate only with others of their race and have always on their lips ritual words and consecrated pleasantries), shunning one another, seeking out those who are most directly their opposite, who do not desire their company, pardoning their rebuffs, moved to ecstasy by their condescension; but also brought into the company of their own kind by the ostracism that strikes them, the opprobrium under which they have fallen, having finally been invested, by a persecution similar to that of Israel, with the physical and moral characteristics of a race, sometimes beautiful, often hideous, finding (in spite of all the mockery with which he who, more closely blended with, better assimilated to the opposing race, is relatively, in appearance, the least inverted, heaps upon him who has remained more so) a relief in frequenting the society of their kind, and even some corroboration of their own life, so much so that, while steadfastly denying that they are a race (the name of which is the vilest of insults), those who succeed in concealing the fact that they belong to it they readily unmask, with a view less to injuring them, though they have no scruple about that, than to excusing themselves; and, going in search (as a doctor seeks cases of appendicitis) of cases of inversion in history, taking pleasure in recalling that Socrates was one of themselves, as the Israelites claim that Jesus was one of them, without reflecting that there were no abnormals when homosexuality was the norm, no anti-Christians before Christ, that the disgrace alone makes the crime because it has allowed to survive only those who remained obdurate to every warning, to every example, to every punishment, by virtue of an innate disposition so peculiar that it is more repugnant to other men (even though it may be accompanied by exalted moral qualities) than certain other vices which exclude those qualities, such as theft, cruelty, breach of faith, vices better understood and so more readily excused by the generality of men; forming a freemasonry far more extensive, more powerful and less suspected than that of the Lodges, for it rests upon an identity of tastes, needs, habits, dangers, apprenticeship, knowledge, traffic, glossary, and one in which the members themselves, who intend not to know one another, recognise one another immediately by natural or conventional, involuntary or deliberate signs which indicate one of his congeners to the beggar in the street, in the great nobleman whose carriage door he is shutting, to the father in the suitor for his daughter's hand, to him who has sought healing, absolution, defence, in the doctor, the priest, the barrister to whom he has had recourse; all of them obliged to protect their own secret but having their part in a secret shared with the others, which the rest of humanity does not suspect and which means that to them the most wildly improbable tales of adventure seem true, for in this romantic, anachronistic life the ambassador is a bosom friend of the felon, the prince, with a certain independence of action with which his aristocratic breeding has furnished him, and which the trembling little cit would lack, on leaving the duchess's party goes off to confer in private with the hooligan; a reprobate part of the human whole, but an important part, suspected where it does not exist, flaunting itself, insolent and unpunished, where its existence is never guessed; numbering its adherents everywhere, among the people, in the army, in the church, in the prison, on the throne; living, in short, at least to a great extent, in a playful and perilous intimacy with the men of the other race, provoking them, playing with them by speaking of its vice as of something alien to it; a game that is rendered easy by the blindness or duplicity of the others, a game that may be kept up for years until the day of the scandal, on which these lion-tamers are devoured; until then, obliged to make a secret of their lives, to turn away their eyes from the things on which they would naturally fasten them, to fasten them upon those from which they would naturally turn away, to change the gender of many of the words in their vocabulary, a social constraint, slight in comparison with the inward constraint which their vice, or what is improperly so called, imposes upon them with regard not so much now to others as to themselves, and in such a way that to themselves it does not appear a vice."
    posted by geoff. at 10:11 AM on March 24, 2006

And in French:

Sans honneur que précaire, sans liberté que provisoire, jusqu'à la découverte du crime; sans situation qu'instable, comme pour le poète la veille fêté dans tous les salons, applaudi dans tous les théâtres de Londres, chassé le lendemain de tous les garnis sans pouvoir trouver un oreiller où reposer sa tête, tournant la meule comme Samson et disant comme lui: "Les deux sexes mourront chacun de son côté"; exclus même, hors les jours de grande infortune où le plus grand nombre se rallie autour de la victime, comme les juifs autour de Dreyfus, de la sympathie - parfois de la société - de leurs semblables, auxquels ils donnent le dégoût de voir ce qu'ils sont, dépeint dans un miroir, qui ne les flattant plus, accuse toutes les tares qu'ils n'avaient pas voulu remarquer chez eux-mêmes et qui leur fait comprendre que ce qu'ils appelaient leur amour (et à quoi, en jouant sur le mot, ils avaient, par sens social, annexé tout ce que la poésie, la peinture, la musique, la chevalerie, l'ascétisme, ont pu ajouter à l'amour) découle non d'un idéal de beauté qu'ils ont élu, mais d'une maladie inguérissable; comme les juifs encore (sauf quelques-uns qui ne veulent fréquenter que ceux de leur race, ont toujours à la bouche les mots rituels et les plaisanteries consacrées) se fuyant les uns les autres, recherchant ceux qui leur sont le plus opposés, qui ne veulent pas d'eux, pardonnant leurs rebuffades, s'enivrant de leurs complaisances; mais aussi rassemblés à leurs pareils par l'ostracisme qui les frappe, l'opprobre où ils sont tombés, ayant fini par prendre, par une persécution semblable à celle d'Israël, les caractères physiques et moraux d'une race, parfois beaux, souvent affreux, trouvant (malgré toutes les moqueries dont celui qui, plus mêlé, mieux assimilé à la race adverse, est relativement, en apparence, le moins inverti, accable celui qui l'est demeuré davantage), une détente dans la fréquentation de leurs semblables, et même un appui dans leur existence, si bien que, tout en niant qu'ils soient une race (dont le nom est la plus grande injure), ceux qui parviennent à cacher qu'ils en sont, ils les démasquent volontiers, moins pour leur nuire, ce qu'ils ne détestent pas, que pour s'excuser, et allant chercher comme un médecin l'appendicite l'inversion jusque dans l'histoire, ayant plaisir à rappeler que Socrate était l'un d'eux, comme les Israélites disent de Jésus, sans songer qu'il n'y avait pas d'anormaux quand l'homosexualité était la norme, pas d'anti-chrétiens avant le Christ, que l'opprobre seul fait le crime, parce qu'il n'a laissé subsister que ceux qui étaient réfractaires à toute prédication, à tout exemple, à tout châtiment, en vertu d'une disposition innée tellement spéciale qu'elle répugne plus aux autres hommes (encore qu'elle puisse s'accompagner de hautes qualités morales) que de certains vices qui y contredisent comme le vol, la cruauté, la mauvaise foi, mieux compris, donc plus excusés du commun des hommes; formant une franc-maçonnerie bien plus étendue, plus efficace et moins soupçonnée que celle des loges, car elle repose sur une identité de goûts, de besoins, d'habitudes, de dangers, d'apprentissage, de savoir, de trafic, de glossaire, et dans laquelle les membres mêmes, qui souhaitent de ne pas se connaître, aussitôt se reconnaissent à des signes naturels ou de convention, involontaires ou voulus, qui signalent un de ses semblables au mendiant dans le grand seigneur à qui il ferme la portière de sa voiture, au père dans le fiancé de sa fille, à celui qui avait voulu se guérir, se confesser, qui avait à se défendre, dans le médecin, dans le prêtre, dans l'avocat qu'il est allé trouver; tous obligés à protéger leur secret, mais ayant leur part d'un secret des autres que le reste de l'humanité ne soupçonne pas et qui fait qu'à eux les romans d'aventure les plus invraisemblables semblent vrais, car dans cette vie romanesque, anachronique, l'ambassadeur est ami du forçat: le prince, avec une certaine liberté d'allures que donne l'éducation aristocratique et qu'un petit bourgeois tremblant n'aurait pas en sortant de chez la duchesse, s'en va conférer avec l'apache; partie réprouvée de la collectivité humaine, mais partie importante, soupçonnée là où elle n'est pas, étalée, insolente, impunie là où elle n'est pas devinée; comptant des adhérents partout, dans le peuple, dans l'armée, dans le temple, au bagne, sur le trône; vivant enfin, du moins un grand nombre, dans l'intimité caressante et dangereuse avec les hommes de l'autre race, les provoquant, jouant avec eux à parler de son vice comme s'il n'était pas sien, jeu qui est rendu facile par l'aveuglement ou la fausseté des autres, jeu qui peut se prolonger des années jusqu'au jour du scandale où ces dompteurs sont dévorés; jusque-là obligés de cacher leur vie, de détourner leurs regards d'où ils voudraient se fixer, de les fixer sur ce dont ils voudraient se détourner, de changer le genre de bien des adjectifs dans leur vocabulaire, contrainte sociale, légère auprès de la contrainte intérieure que leur vice, ou ce qu'on nomme improprement ainsi, leur impose non plus à l'égard des autres mais d'eux-mêmes, et de façon qu'à eux-mêmes il ne leur paraisse pas un vice.
    Fleurine- I am so gullible- I actually did try and read the entire piece in english thinking it must be some enlightening work on insomnia - a scientific reason why I am freaky .....
    ( Mind you, on April 1st this year when a Basenoter proclaimed in a thread....that Mitsouko was discontinued- I went into a mother of a panic and called Guerlain in Paris to find out it wasn't so - that it was an April Fool's Joke ! *LOL* Duh ! )

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    Most here know I burn the candle at both ends . I cannot sleep at night and I get up early because I love sunrise .
    Mimi, woman after my own heart! I love the still of night and dewy mornings. It's midday I can do without. One summer I experimented with what I called two twelve-hour days, I slept from 6 to 10 - a.m. and p.m! Now there was no-one home but me at the time and I wasn't working; this is hardly a schedule for any responsible person, but it's lovely, esp in summer.

I had problems with hypersomnia for years, partly caused by medication (let's just say there's a YSL named for one ingredient), I slept at least 8 at night plus a 2 or 3 hour afternoon nap. Now, I usually get 6 or 7 and a power nap of about 45 min. Works for me. More than 7 hours and my joints are unbearable stiff.

On top of everything, since I substitute teach, I check a website for work, and I've gotten over half my assignments by checking in between midnight and 2 a.m. Most of the time I check in, snag some work and go back to sleep, knowing that I won't be awakened by the 5:30 am robo-call, but I suppose my bio-clock now just wakes up at 2 am.

queen of the universe

OK, Mimi and Fleurine, I am printing this! I shall probably retaliate with quadratic equations or a cryptic crossword, though never a cross word.
    Last edited by jujy54; 21st September 2011 at 05:04 AM.

Basenotes Institution

(( jujy))
    There is a reason my DH has given me the nickname 'Daywalker' - from Blade the movie ! *LOL*
    ( ie. a creature of the night with the ability to walk around in the day ! )*LOL*
    I LOVE the night- I am not at all scared of the dark either and walk around minus lights in pitch black.
    I have to say my night vision is working perfectly !

queen of the universe

Quote Originally Posted by Twolf View Post
    Many of us do it, I know... I -- like Mimi -- seem to be in Olympic/astronaut shape of health: so many years of broken sleep patterns, I learnt to sleep when I can. When I can't -- it is no big deal, there is always tomorrow (not to take a nap and everything else from #4).

Anyway, thinking of you all fondly.
    No big deal - wise words, wolfie! (may I call you that?)

Yes, everybody does.

Another insomniac here. It could be genetic in my case. My dad has had insomnia his whole life. I count roses Well, at any rate, rose fragrances tend to have a calming effect on me. Lately, it has been Guerlain Idylle Duet, which is a quiet fragrance, but lingers until morning.

Reading in bed helps, but I found it has to be something dull, so I have to start avoiding novels....

queen of the universe

Fleurine, I just saw the part about Mitsy being discontinued on April 1st. Cracked me up!