Code of Conduct

Default Shelf life of a designer scent?

Found a new place to buy my fragrances that is VERY close to me so I called and asked how old their stock was because some of the prices are pretty good. Anyway, I was told its all at least a year old and was back stock from the fragrance houses themselves. Now I know for niche this probably isn't a good thing but what about designer? I figure fragrancenet and other big gray market sites follow the same policy so is their stuff just as old?
    Last edited by Jer350; 20th September 2011 at 04:01 AM. Reason: mispelling

Default Re: Shelf life of a designer scent?

Even an all-natural niche fragrance should last more than a year if it is made and stored properly. For a mass-market fragrance that will be mainly aroma-chemicals and ethanol, unless it has been stored badly it should be fine.

One exception is fragrances with a lot of aldehydes in them - the fruity and floral ones are often of this sort - aldehydes break down relatively quickly when exposed to air. That said, as long as the bottles are full, properly sealed and kept dark in their packaging there should be no problem.

If a fragrance goes off when it is less than 3 years old, something is wrong with it, the packaging or the storage conditions.
    Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Iím happy to quote: if you want free advice, thatís what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

I'd say a lot longer than your shelf-life (even if you are a teenager). LOL. I have little doubt that my frags from the 1950s will still be fine when I'm long gone !

Thanks for the help!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    Even an all-natural niche fragrance should last more than a year if it is made and stored properly. For a mass-market fragrance that will be mainly aroma-chemicals and ethanol, unless it has been stored badly it should be fine.

One exception is fragrances with a lot of aldehydes in them - the fruity and floral ones are often of this sort - aldehydes break down relatively quickly when exposed to air. That said, as long as the bottles are full, properly sealed and kept dark in their packaging there should be no problem.

If a fragrance goes off when it is less than 3 years old, something is wrong with it, the packaging or the storage conditions.
    Another excellent post from a very knowledgeable Basenoter! Thanks Chris.

Very hard to know, but if it is stored properly in a controlled temperature environment it should last years whether niche or designer IMO.

I have found that most Armani fragrances suffer from poor shelf life. Some of them really go rancid.

Stored in a cool, dry and dark place most fragrances last many decades (even ones made with larger amounts of natural oils). What can happen in particularly old fragrances, is you will notice they have lost some (or even all) of the top notes. When this happens it can be easy to think that the scent has gone "off." However a few moments after application the scent will usually sort it self out just fine.

If the fragrance was either of inferior quality or has been stored poorly, and has indeed gone off (usually when there is a high amount of natural essential oils, absolutes etc), there will be no question about it. It will smell bad (i.e. sour, rancid or spoiled).

Quote Originally Posted by b0n3z View Post
    I have found that most Armani fragrances suffer from poor shelf life. Some of them really go rancid.
    I have several Armani scents that are quite old and I haven't had that problem at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post

If stored well, I have noticed that aldehydic scents tend to lose many of the aldehyde notes over time, but they don't necessarily "turn" in my experience. At least not to the extent that say lavender essential can turn if not looked after properly.