Code of Conduct

Default The duel of the purple dandies

Two dandies in purple decided to have a duel. Sabres at dawn. The only way to go.

One wore a carnation in his buttonhole while the other sported a spray of violets.

Both are spice florals and both are in oblong bottles. Both are eau de parfums. One wears a cylindrical hat, the other a bowler.

I am talking Guerlain's Arsene Lupin Dandy and Serge Lutens Vitriol d'Oiellet.

As with all men of fashion, betting on the outcome of this duel is de rigeur.

Which one wins, in your estimation, and why?

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...fragrance.html

http://perfumeshrine.blogspot.com/20...fragrance.html
    Last edited by Primrose; 21st September 2011 at 02:31 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Default Re: The duel of the purple dandies

For me it would be Arsene Lupin Dandy just because its composition sounds more interesting to me. Absolutely nothing against the Serge Lutens contender, however.
    Last edited by hednic; 21st September 2011 at 02:58 AM.

Blog Entries

My money is on Arsène Lupin, who some call "Dandy". Although I have not met M. d'Oeillet in person, it is said by some that he has, on occasion, shouted and shrieked at his opponent when defending his honor. "Nails on a chalkboard", in the words of one observer. Although some in the audience may thrill to such ungentlemanly behavior, I for one do not. Arsène Lupin would never stoop to such a cowardly tactic. I would rather lose my bet than even appear to support such nonsense. Arsène Lupin it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    My money is on Arsène Lupin, who some call "Dandy". Although I have not met M. d'Oeillet in person, it is said by some that he has, on occasion, shouted and shrieked at his opponent when defending his honor. "Nails on a chalkboard", in the words of one observer. Although some in the audience may thrill to such ungentlemanly behavior, I for one do not. Arsène Lupin would never stoop to such a cowardly tactic. I would rather lose my bet than even appear to support such nonsense. Arsène Lupin it is.
    Concur with your outcome, Red. I think M. Vitriol will be bested by Arsene Lupin.

(I really prefer the projection of Dandy rather than the Vitriol. Vitriol comes across as a nice rose/spice scent suggesting carnation and lasts long but stays close to the skin, but Dandy is a rich violet/leather with great longevity and sillage.)
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

I met Msr Vitriol d'Oiellet the other day & had to stifle a yawn. He seems short on the signature Lutens strengths & doesn't inspire much confidence.

Basenotes Institution

Guerlain's Arsene Lupin Dandy !
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

I'd suggest a third purple dandy, an outsider, the most unlikely of contenders although when people get past the shock of it all they'll see he's a true dandy indeed. Who do I speak of? Washington Square by Bond. As mentioned, definitely unexpected.

He starts his day with a warm glass of earl grey tea, while his rosey heart entwined with dark anisic tarragon, all on a bed of honeyed suede with a dash of powder, proves him to be a dandy indeed. Carefully balanced contrasts of hot and cold, dark and light, masculine and feminine, lend further intrigue to this mysterious character. Soft spoken, yes, but his presence lingers in one's memory for quite some time.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I'd suggest a third purple dandy, an outsider, the most unlikely of contenders although when people get past the shock of it all they'll see he's a true dandy indeed. Who do I speak of? Washington Square by Bond. As mentioned, definitely unexpected.

He starts his day with a warm glass of earl grey tea, while his rosey heart entwined with dark anisic tarragon, all on a bed of honeyed suede with a dash of powder, proves him to be a dandy indeed. Carefully balanced contrasts of hot and cold, dark and light, masculine and feminine, lend further intrigue to this mysterious character. Soft spoken, yes, but his presence lingers in one's memory for quite some time.
    The men in the audience stammer. The ladies gasp. Some drop their handkerchiefs, hoping that this new dandy will offer his.

Intrigued.......

I had the pleasure of meeting both gentlemen at my own leisurely pace. Although I am biased towards the Lutens tribe, I still bow in respect when a family member of the Guerlain tribe enters the court.

for swap/sale:

The contender from Bond is interesting. Thank you, SoS. Bond Street sounds very dapper!

So far, it seems that Monsieur Lupin is squaring his shoulders and waiting if Monsieur d'Oiellet will even put up a decent fight.

Was it worth the trouble to rise before dawn, brave the thick fog driving one's carriage with one's sleepy second in tow (your best friend, a hungover viscount) and meet this adversary in challenge? With his Guerlain bloodlines, M. Lupin commands respect.

(Actually, I adore the Guerlain Dandy, and also like Vitriol, but wish it had more sillage and longevity. As Hedonist and Diamond noted, it does not have the impressive sillage and power of the other Lutens scents.)
    Last edited by Primrose; 1st February 2012 at 03:36 AM.