Code of Conduct

Thread: Organ

Default Organ

Hello everybody.
    I see often perfumer organs with bottle disposed from top to bottom and left to right with an apparently logical order. Now, what should commonly be that order? Is it a matter of olfactory family &/or base/heart/top note?
    Sebastiano - Organic Chemist

Default Re: Organ

I keep mine, very simply, in alphabetical order. It is however a matter of personal preference.

The key thing is that you should be able to find what you want quickly and easily and know where to put it back when you've done. The only reason to create rules about it would be if you were sharing your organ with another perfumer (such as when training for example).
    A person who is nice to you, but rude to the waiter, is not a nice person.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett
    Perfumes from the edge . . .

www.perfumedesigner.co.uk
    Twitter: @PellWallPerfume

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Im happy to quote: if you want free advice, thats what these forums are for
    You can also join my blog if you wish to ask questions of me.

The alphabetical order could be a good one indeed and the simplest surely. Thanks for the advice

I keep mine organ in three parts, each one for top, heart and base ingredients. Within these parts i divided them in olfactory families. Within that categories they are ordered alphabetically. Hmmm...too complicated...?

regards Conni

Quote Originally Posted by Conni HD View Post
    I keep mine organ in three parts . . .
    I'm finding it quite difficult not to make a remark about my own organ coming in three parts naturally . . . but that would be crass schoolboy humour . . .

― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

If you are looking for a perfumery consultation Im happy to quote: if you want free advice, thats what these forums are for

Ahah, is this what they call British humour?
    Anyway, Conni's organisation seems pretty much complicated but if you get used to it I bet it could permit you to create faster and in an easier way. I should consider that, but only when reaching an appropriate number of raw materials. It could be of little meaning with my 50 bottles

Quote Originally Posted by otocione View Post
    Ahah, is this what they call British humour?
    Anyway, Conni's organisation seems pretty much complicated but if you get used to it I bet it could permit you to create faster and in an easier way. I should consider that, but only when reaching an appropriate number of raw materials. It could be of little meaning with my 50 bottles
    Humour might be stretching the point I admit.

However I have nearly 400 ingredients (excluding different dilutions) and the prospect of multiple levels of organisation to work out every time I look for a bottle fills me with fear! Also, what about all those ingredients that can be classified in more than one way? Now I know there are also multiple spellings and ways of writing a name, but once you've put one on the bottle at least you always know where to put it.

In practice there is never room to have all my stuff out at once, so I only have out the ingredients I use most often, with a space to one side for the more unusual things that I've selected for a given piece of work. The rest are packed away in cases, also in alphabetical order, until needed.

Horses for courses as I said to start with though - there isn't a right answer except the one that works for you.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

I am not sure if it's because of my "day job" of studio musician, but I have my organ arranged basically from lowest vapor pressure (left) to highest (right). This pretty much works out to base notes on the left, top notes on the right. With that arrangement, I can pretty much point to within a few bottles of what I'm looking for and think about the surrounding ones as possible alternatives or additions. There are several hundred odorants on my perfumers organ and I don't always bring the exact thought to mind, but I can quickly narrow it down with this arrangement. While the alphabetical method seems logical enough, I tried it early on and found that I was often forgetting about a possible constituent simply because it was one that I was either not that familiar with, didn't use frequently or simply just forgot about.

My fragrance refrigerator is another matter, It is not as easy as the space is limited and there is no provision for viewing all the bottles easily, so I basically use top shelf=Top notes, Bottom shelf, Base notes etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3259936...in/photostream

I can see Sell's "The chemistry of fragrances" down there, I just purchased it too

Quote Originally Posted by Ecoture View Post
    I am not sure if it's because of my "day job" of studio musician, but I have my organ arranged basically from lowest vapor pressure (left) to highest (right). This pretty much works out to base notes on the left, top notes on the right. With that arrangement, I can pretty much point to within a few bottles of what I'm looking for and think about the surrounding ones as possible alternatives or additions. There are several hundred odorants on my perfumers organ and I don't always bring the exact thought to mind, but I can quickly narrow it down with this arrangement. While the alphabetical method seems logical enough, I tried it early on and found that I was often forgetting about a possible constituent simply because it was one that I was either not that familiar with, didn't use frequently or simply just forgot about.

My fragrance refrigerator is another matter, It is not as easy as the space is limited and there is no provision for viewing all the bottles easily, so I basically use top shelf=Top notes, Bottom shelf, Base notes etc.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/3259936...in/photostream

I remain deeply envious of your beautiful workspace! Interesting idea on the arrangement, which hadn't occurred to me at all. Perhaps that also reflects a different way of working as I very rarely do composition straight at the organ: I start on a spreadsheet and only go to the workspace when I've come up with a formula to try out.
    ― Dave Barry

Chris Bartlett

Chris, I usually work out the basic sketch on paper also, however as I'm starting to "fill in the gaps" I find it to be extremely useful to be at the organ for exactly the reasons I noted earlier. Sometimes an adjacent bottle is a better choice and I might not think of it until I reach for the original idea, see it's neighbor and think" Hmmm....that is going to do what I want even better than what I may have written down while drafting my mental conception of the fragrance.

BTW: My reference to music is that if one is a composer and used to playing keyboards, you will automatically start heading your hand in the direction of the next note, chord etc. that you hear in your mind... and you might modify it...say a suspended 4th, or a 7th or a different inversion etc., but you know basically where you want to put it so that it supports the composition, doesn't "step on" the vocal part etc. I actually find a huge corralation between perfume & music.

p.s. Thanks again for the kind words, Chris!

Blog Entries

No organ ever seems big enough, as the 'working' photo shows. How do you reorganize? Is there an expansion method?

Ed, I end up using the "floor" of the organ as well as another bench that is not in the picture as I have totally run out of space. I am contemplating having a "7 shelf monster" built at some point. But even then, the likelihood exists that I'll simply end up exceeding it's capacity. It's slippery slope indeed!

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Bartlett View Post
    I'm finding it quite difficult not to make a remark about my own organ coming in three parts naturally . . . but that would be crass schoolboy humour . . .

Ok that was a bit dumb formulated from me but i really have 3 little perfume organs, each one for top, heart and basenote ingredients. I should load a foto. I `ve had one organ for all ingredients but after a while i lost the overview over the 300 little bottles and pipettes. Its not a professionel organ anyway, its self-made. When im ready with blending, i stack one above the other and store them space-saving.

regards Conni
    Last edited by Conni HD; 23rd September 2011 at 08:20 PM.