Code of Conduct

Default John Varvatis 10th Anniversary. What's your opinion?

I have had a sample of this for some time and have only worn it once and quite liked it. This last week-end I went out dancing and a friend was wearing this scent which came across as a woody cinnamon scent, maybe with a hint of leather and patchouli. It did not have much silage and seemed rather close to the skin. I have not found any threads about this scent and would love to read some opinions about this one. Thanks.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Default Re: John Varvatis 10th Anniversary. What's your opinion?

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I have had a sample of this for some time and have only worn it once and quite liked it. This last week-end I went out dancing and a friend was wearing this scent which came across as a woody cinnamon scent, maybe with a hint of leather and patchouli. It did not have much silage and seemed rather close to the skin. I have not found any threads about this scent and would love to read some opinions about this one. Thanks.
    You have only worn it once?? Your review on fragrantica makes it sound as though you have a bottle and have worn it a good bit. You say it is a top 5 for you and potential sig scent for you.
    Your wardrobe says you own it too on fragrantica. The reason I recognize you is because I own it and thought the review was nice. There are threads about this one here on the boards. There is one with 60 posts, where most everyone gives their opinion in depth. Just Search for Varvatos 10th Anniversay.

I bought it when it came out as one that I liked and then returned it a month or so later when I discovered Terre d'Hermes. I was rather new to all the new fragrances since I had only worn a couple of fragrances from many years back and this struck me as a great and new one when I sampled it. I simply had buyers remorse when I discovered TdH and returned it. Now that I have smelled it again in cooler weather and am hunting for scents more suitable for cooler months I am wondering if I made the right decision.
    My Favorites
    1a. Slumberhouse Zahd
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Amouage Tribute Attar
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Bond No.9 New York Oud
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Personally not a fan of any in his line.

John Varvatos 10th Anniversary is really good stuff in my opinion. I like that it's sweet but also very dry. The type of orange used is very interesting-- it smells like Campari. It can be weird at first but I find it to be very addicting after a couple of wears. 10th Anniversary is like a cousin of gourmand scents like A*men, L'Instant de Guerlain, and the like-- but with a black leather accord and cinnamon-- and it has a nice bitter edge to it.

I made a sample of it for one of my buddies and he came back and told me that he received a lot of compliments on it. I got a few myself from wearing this.

I like it and agree pretty much with Indie. To me, it's one of those fragrances where it wears differently and different times. Once in a while, it'll feel gourmandish. Another time, it feels a bit powdery. Other times, I get a burnt marshmallow feel from it, accompanied by a cocoa note, perhaps from the patchouli. Then there's times when the vetiver stands out. The orange note on top and cinnamon always seem to be ever present, but overall, it seems more of a chameleon, on me at least.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Indie and The Bark pretty much sum it up well. Sometimes I get alot of patchouli, the next time more vetiver, yet always there is this cocoa powder and balsam thingee drifting in the background. I keep waiting to wake up one day and see the faults of this one, but it hasn't come. Each wearing proves to me that this is a very nice woody comfy scent that keeps me interested at all times. If you wear it, please give it a full day's attention and not a card sniff at the counter, because the drydown is beautiful IMO.

Anyone know if this is available anywhere in the UK?

I like this one and was pleasantly surprised. I'm not sure about going full bottle, but I do think this is a well made fragrance.

What really caught me off guard was the patchouli ! Wow, I did not expect it to be as obvious. Most modern fragrances in department shops sometimes have patchouli in the pyramid, but I'd be damned if I could smell any of it. The patchouli does subside and reveals a warm semi-edible dry down that is certainly cozy in cooler months.
    Seeking: Bottles/decants : of Feeling Man, Gucci pour Homme, Essence of John Galliano, Nicole Miller (vintage), Opium pour Homme, Oxford & Cambridge...etc.

Seeking decant/sample of Jil Sander Feeling Man, Cacharel Nemo, Bijan for Men EDC, Lanvin for Men, Giorgio VIP, Il Lancetti and other old school frags ....etc. I have samples to swap.

More HERE
    Please PM me !

Its very nice. However I purchased a bottle for poker nights with my friends and they gave me 9' 1.5ml samples along with the bottle. I have not even finished 1 sample in 6 months as of yet. Its hot here and JV 10' is more of a cooler weather scent. I would assume that I will get rid of the bottle when I have the chance and still have 12 ML left over.