Code of Conduct

Default The Best Oud-Dominant Fragrance?

I need opinions! I'm an avid fragrance collector, and I'm looking to finally add an Oud fragrance to my collection. I have a few fragrances with Oud in it i.e. , but I want a fragrance that's OUD DOMINANT. I have Oud Immortel by Byredo which its notes deliver an Oud-like fragrance, but it officially doesn't even have any Oud in it! So... any suggestions?!

Possibilities to name a few include:

Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Creed Royal Oud
    By Killian Pure Oud
    L'Artisan Al Oudh

Thanks!

~Mrk~

Default Re: The Best Oud-Dominant Fragrance?

Calling Igor

My personal faveourite at the moment is : MONA Di ORiO's ~ OUD ... It's gorgeous ! ( And it's actually the real deal authentic agarwood oil that she uses , and not a man-made accord).

Lots of Montale fragrances... top notch!
    LOST! in scent and music

Montale's Original Aouds comes to mind, unless you go straight for one of the authentic oils.
    The Bark Bites Back here --> https://thebarkbitesback.wordpress.com

Tom Ford Oud Wood and Montale Dark Aoud are my favourites.

For a western perfume with oud, I'd stick to Montale (Black Aoud, Aoud Lime, Oud Cuir d'Arabie, etc). I also own the Tom Ford, which seem nice and straightforward, if expensive.

cacio

I haven`t tried Tom Ford Oud Wood yet, but among the other 3, I prefer Creed Royal Oud. A smooth, spicy, sweet oud.

Dior Leather Oud and Bond No. 9 Swarovski Limited Edition are both supposedly solid oud scents (not sure they'd classify as oud dominant).

Oh yeah - welcome to basenotes, eMCizzle.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bark View Post
    Montale's Original Aouds comes to mind, unless you go straight for one of the authentic oils.
    This one.

Oriscent 3000 pure Borneo Oud oil is the easiest Oud to appreciate from a western perspective.

I have not tried L'artisans offering, but the others I have tried, and out of those I would definitely say that I prefer Creed Royal Oud. Pure Oud oils are one of the things that got me into this hobby, I own several from some of the wider known purveyors. As an experiment, I wore RO with a pure Oud oil from oriscent, can't remember which one right now, and it did not really change the character or scent of it. I have tried several from Montale, with the most recent being Black Aoud, and they, IMO, are synthetic, also Montales pairing of it and their asserting synthetic loud rose accord, makes me feel like I have tiny bugs crawling on me. Mona Di orio's offering sounds interesting though.
    Last edited by PEARL; 27th January 2012 at 10:05 PM.

First of all I would say it doesn't really matter if there is no oud in the fragrance. I'm a big fan of 'oud' perfumes although I'm sorry to say I've never smelled the famous Montale ouds as they don't stock them in the UK. So anyway here are my views.

The one I know best is Oud 27 as I own it.

I think it's absolutely amazing and it's probably my favourite fragrance. It goes on very sour and slightly bitter (with a faint hint of urine perhaps) then dries down to cedar wood and saffron. Most of the oud fragrances are matched with saffron or Safraleine (an aroma chemical). My son hates it with a vengeance and one or two of my friends also dislike it - but some adore it. I think it's a masterpiece.

I aslo recommend Dior Leather and Oud

It has great depth and honeyed, beewaxy resonance. Absolutely fantastic and incredibly powerful.

Another one I really like is Al Oudh

This is also superb but more herbal than the others with lots cumin. Again, apparently it has no oud in it but don't let that put you off

Montales, but is not real oud, as the others that you asked. Real ouds from Western are expensive and very different

Black Aoud is the only one for me.

A bunch of Montales (Original Aoud, Aoud Cuir D'Arabie, Aoud Musk, Dark Aoud, Red Aoud) plus Epic Man, Homage, Ormonde Man and Black Tourmaline. Obvisouly we talk about western interpretations of oud.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

I love Tom Ford Oud wood and I have a bottle of the Dior Leather Oud which I love even more but find almost unwearable at my office. It's almost like lighting up an incense pot lol. Both very nice and very Oudy !
    Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.

Hey Spoombung

I've never smelled the famous Montale ouds as they don't stock them in the UK
    They are pretty awesome and well worth trying to get hold of samples at least... I'm in the UK too, and took a risk with blind buys direct, and I'm so glad I did. Not bad at all for the price. 45 for 50ml is great for the quality of them.
    LOST! in scent and music

Of the mainsteams, I like Al Oudh too, but you need to give a try to Ava Luxe! There are several to choose from and almost all of them are great!

Quote Originally Posted by scent_of_life View Post
    Of the mainsteams, I like Al Oudh too, but you need to give a try to Ava Luxe! There are several to choose from and almost all of them are great!
    Which ones?

Basenotes Institution

Homage by Amouage followed by Harrods Swarovski Crystal Oud Edition by Bond No. 9
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by hellcat9 View Post
    Which ones?
    Bois Fonce is great! Followed by Incense Noir would be my suggestions!

The best western interpretation of oud that actually resembles what oud smells like is : (in no particular order)

Leather Oud
    Extreme Oud by Kilian but thats launched only for the UAE market. The next best thing would be Pure Oud also by Kilian.

for swap/sale:

I'm no oud expert...Igor will be along presently.

But my understanding of most of the scents you're referencing is that it isn't a true oud note, it's a synthetic. But for me, that's no reason to not try them. Those are all good scents.

From a standpoint of long lasting oud-like notes in a conventional scent, I think the Montales are best in my experience. The oud in By Killian seemed pretty prominent too. Dark Aoud is my favorite from Montale.

The Mona di Orio referenced above DOES evidently contain real oud, and the price reflects that.

Everything you referenced are good scents, with varying degrees of oud-ness.

But the oud notes in Al Aoud, Royal Oud and Oud Wood aren't very prominent. Try a Montale.

Re-reading your original post, if you want a scent with Honest to God REAL Oud in it, Mona di Orio may be the only one. Other than that, you'd need to check real ouds. Nothing is more Oud dominate than real Oud.
    Last edited by StylinLA; 22nd September 2011 at 06:05 AM.

M. Micallef Homme (also known here simply as Aoud) is another good one. It is Euro-oud, but made in more of a Middle Eastern style than most.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    The best western interpretation of oud that actually resembles what oud smells like is : (in no particular order)

Leather Oud
    Extreme Oud by Kilian but thats launched only for the UAE market. The next best thing would be Pure Oud also by Kilian.
    If the above is true, then Bond's Harrods Swarovski Ltd. Edition should be on that list too, as the oud note in it is quite similar to the note in Pure Oud. It's just surrounded by more green vetiver elements, and more of a leathery nuance.

My favorite oud based scents:

Micallef Aoud Homme: A nice, refined (some will interpret this as discrete or shy.. fair enough!) aoud + rose with a large dose of honey over a base of woods and spice.

Bond Harrods Swarovski Ltd. Edition: A green/leathery oud and vetiver with a noticeable dark myrrh note as well.

Bond New York Oud: Another aoud/rose/honey blend like Aoud Homme, but here it is paired with fruit (plums) and an acidic and bitter orange note (a really nice use of orange - it smells more like orange peel than orange, which makes sense I suppose as the listed note is "orange zest"). Also present is a hint of leather and vetiver, and in the far background a bit of iris. It's a bit more synthetic than the above two, but it's more daring, interesting, and altogether extroverted than the comparatively introverted Micallef Aoud.

Al Oudh: Smells like some oud chips I have - not the same smell as oud oils at all! This is dark, deep, and quite animalic. Moderate sillage but great longevity. One of the darkest/inkiest scents I've smelled. Dark dark reds draped in black.

I'm not a fan of the Montale ouds at all. :\
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    M. Micallef Homme (also known here simply as Aoud) is another good one. It is Euro-oud, but made in more of a Middle Eastern style than most.
    Great Call.

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Harrods Swarovski Crystal Oud Edition by Bond No. 9
    This one.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by LOST! View Post
    Hey Spoombung

They are pretty awesome and well worth trying to get hold of samples at least... I'm in the UK too, and took a risk with blind buys direct, and I'm so glad I did. Not bad at all for the price. 45 for 50ml is great for the quality of them.
    That is a good price but blind buying is against my religion. I did contact Montale and ask about samples but all they would provide were blotters. I'll have to wait till the next time I'm in Paris... which might be a while. :-(

Quote Originally Posted by Spoombung View Post
    I did contact Montale and ask about samples but all they would provide were blotters. I'll have to wait till the next time I'm in Paris... which might be a while. :-(
    Why not order samples from First in Fragrance or parfumneroli.com? Both have Montale and ship to the UK.

As a lover of pure oud oils I've learned to differentiate and appreciate "oud" perfumes from pure oud oil. I can't say any oud perfumes are pure oud dominant. There are some that are really nice and have strong synthetic oud in them. My favorite is Harrods Swarovski which I just got recently in the non-crystal bottle, I bought this directly from the Bond flagship store in New York. Also Dior Leather Oud is nice.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    Oriscent 3000 pure Borneo Oud oil is the easiest Oud to appreciate from a western perspective.
    Seconded.

As for oud-themed Western fragrances (that may or may not contain actual oud) I'd say try to find Muthhela Agallocha Man which to me stands head and shoulders above the multitudes of barely different Montales that aim to imitate traditional Middle Eastern mukhallats (pefume blends) rather than actual oud. Tom Ford's Oud Wood would be a distant second on my list although I understand that a far less expensive copy of it produced by Surrati can be had for far less. Pue Oud by Killian is neither oud nor pure but misleading name and absurd price aside it's not an unpleasant fragrance.

I would try and sample both the well-known oud-themed synthetics mentioned on this thread and at least a couple of good pure oud oils like Oriscent Borneo 3000 or Kyara Koutan before settling for a fragrance just because it gets a lot of positive coverage on Basenotes. There have been many threads on oud vs "oud" here over the last few months with a lot of different perspectives and interesting discussions, you may want to do a quick search and check them out - they should prove very helpful in your research.

Amouage Homage Attar
    Amouage Epic Man
    Amouage Jubilation
    Bond 9 NY Oud
    Montale Black Aoud
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

Oud27, different, wearable, very raunchy. me likes.

im a perfume addictive, and every time i read oud fragrance, i try to run away from it, in fact i would just walk away from the store if they start spraying without asking me.

to understand the smell of oud essential oil, you will need to try it first, I'm from UAE (Dubai) and i have a great knowledge about oud,amber and musk, i was smelling oud since i was child.

now, without any introduction, stop buying oud perfumes, we dont have one, the Americans and European start marketing perfumes which contain oud oil. i smelled them all from TOMFORD to other luxury brands looking and trying to feel the smell of oud scent in them but in fact they couldn't come close to it.

if you enter a shop that sells oud oil, he will show 10 or maybe more of OUD oil and i will guid you to understand the smell of oud , i will try not to be long.

types of oud have different types of country Indonesia - Thailand - India maybe other country but i will only mention the best.

now india they got different part cities that have oud and smell different than another city in india same as other countries

the best oud oil you can get will be from india, in most of our people opinion due to the quality of oud smell its the best,

Indian oud got many variety:

1-Seyofi oud oil (( light smell of oud )) mostly used here.

2- cambodia oud oil (( strong powerfull smell )) which we avoid

3- QADEEM oud oil (( which is oud oil that have been site for long period of time, the more the oud oil have been stored the more the smell of oud oil will become sweety woody and more powerfull in good way unlick cambodia ))

4- QADEEM QADEEM ((which have been sit /stored for longer period than the QADEEM ))

Qadeem is an Arabic word for OLD , as i mention the older the oud sit or stored the more expensive it get, there is a oud oil that have been stored for 100 years and its really expensive its rare to find.

now the stores that sells it mostly in london if u live in europe but i will need you to check out the stores which are authentically sells you a real oud oil and to contact them if they got a store in america, you might find it on ebay but they use different words like Premium oud oil from ajmal store so i get confused with the original name that the store use.

stores:

1- http://www.asqgrp.com/en/

2- http://www.ajmalperfume.com/

remmber there are good cheap oud which i recommend you not to buy, and the expensive once which i buy.

AJMAL store : get the QADEEM QADEEM oud oil thats my favorite. cost 230 dollars for 3 ml

OUD oil have really different layers when you put it, it stand alone in perfumes oil, all you need is 1 one drop for the whole day, for the first 1 hour you will smell the strong scent , and as it get lighter , by time the oud will show you layers of scent.

i try to mix oud oil in many perfumes but it break the justice of oud note layesr with other scents, i just couldn't add oud oil in perfumes any more.

so use your favourite perfume and put a drop of oud oil behind your ears.. thats the way of how to wear oud oil.

Basenotes Plus

Hi & welcome, khalifation!

Thank you for the info.

We have an Oud Group here where there are many other members with information on sourcing (and discussing) genuine oud oils.

Maybe you'd like to check it out?

http://www.basenotes.net/group.php?groupid=15

Quote Originally Posted by boosh View Post
    Black Aoud is the only one for me.
    Plus One!)

I've come realize is not about whose Aoud is more dominant but most refined, elegant , opulent and best accommodating in a composition with other competing notes : it's like a star athlete that has the strongest offensive and defensive moves but occasionally will let particular role players shine here and there to make the team better but nevertheless the team revolves around the star(Aoud). IMHO Aoud by Roja Dove
    first and Amber Aoud following closely in second!

3.Oud Wood

4.Royal Oud (Very discreet take)

5. ????
    Last edited by magnus611; 6th February 2014 at 02:23 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

MFK Cashmere Mood & Velvet Mood
    Also Zafar and Gao from Xerjoff

I don't think the others do a great job of making an Oud dominant fragrance. That's why I've ended up with pure oud oils.

Refined oud scents I like; Armani's take on Oud.
    Some of the Amouage line are good too, Jubilation & Epic.

I enjoy LM Parfums take on it in their Parfum Extrait - Black Oud

(3878)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

+1 for Leather Oud

Banned
    Blog Entries

TF Oud Wood
    M7 absolute

Xerjoff Najaf

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    A resounding extra vote for this one. Love it. One of the only commercial aoud-centric frags that is dry enough for me. The rose note in it is incredibly elegant. Gender-spanning, but Micallef was on-target naming this "Homme" - on the right man, this will make it difficult to dig your nose out of his neck.

Right now for me it's Amouage Epic Man, though I'm looking forward to finally trying some pure oud oils.

Fahrenheit Absolute is nice and dark oud scent. Imo the oud may not be too dominating, or else it spoils the fragrance.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

Dior Leather Oud

Body Shop Amber OUD and Rose OUD

Darn good, fit my budget -cost me $20 each, and essentially NO one has them (in the US)

Black aoud.

Armani Prive Oud Royal
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Priv - Oud Royal
    8. Brckner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird