Code of Conduct

Default Why fragrances don't last on my skin ?

Why fragrances don't last on my skin ?
    I own 4 fragrances
    1. Angel Man
    2. Le Male
    3. 1 Million
    4. Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey

Based on the reviews they should last 10+ hours but they only last 3 hours on my skin and they project for just an hour . All the bootless are authentic .

What to do ?
    Do you have a similar problem ?

Thanks

Default Re: Why fragrances don't last on my skin ?

Try to not spray when you just finished your shower but wait a little (if possible 1 hour)

I do have a similar problem, however I find it hard to believe that the first three on your list (especially A*men) last only three hours. Your nose becomes accustomed to smells, so you may feel that the scent is gone when it really isn't.

But the common suggestion to make scents last longer is to apply some unscented moisturizer to your skin before applying the fragrance.

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    I find it hard to believe that the first three on your list (especially A*men) last only three hours. Your nose does becomes accustomed to smells, so you may feel that the scent is gone when it really isn't.

But the common suggestion to make scents last longer is to apply some unscented moisturizer to your skin before applying the fragrance.
    Guys thanks for the answers .
    I have already tried to wait 30 min after shower and then spray .
    I do use body lotion on my skin but i don't see any improvement .
    Angel men lasts like 4 hours on my skin , is the longest lasting fragrance i have , but projects for only 1 hour .
    When i spray Angel man on my girlfriend on her skin the fragrance last for like 8 hours and projects for like 4 hours .

Thankfully I have never had to deal with this problem.

Try having a Moroccan or Turkish bath. I.e: exfoliate the dead skin.

for swap/sale:

I read somewhere on basenotes that the more acidic your skin, the more quickly a fragrance dissipates. If you lick the skin on your wrist, and it tastes rather sharp, as mine does, perhaps that is the cause. I try to layer sympathetic scents such as lavender and patchouli soap (Bleu Lavande) and Yohji Homme body wash, so that when I apply my fragrance it seems to be amplified and longer lasting. Good luck with that Martin, and Welcome!!

- Dont use to much body shapoo when showering. Only use whats needed to get clean. Soap/shampoo removes naturla oil from skin, no matter how mild it is.
    - Dont take too warm baths since warm water dries skin faster than cold water. Water shouldnt be uncomfortable cold off course, but a bit on the "colder" side is a good thing.
    - Use uncented lotion. Get something with Glycerin/oil and vitamins in it.

At 44, my skin has changed for the better in terms of holding scents. 3 sprays of just about anything is plenty for all day enjoyment. I used to struggle with the same issue as you. I did lick my wrist, and it tastes like nothing. No acid at all.

I'm really sorry about your situation .

I second Mrhviid 's tips !
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

I have the same problem. I will buy an unscented cream eventually.
    You can spray some on your clothes. I do that sometimes.

Try spraying with the spritzer close to your skin. If you apply unscented lotion, make sure to let it dry first (at least 30 mins.) before wearing any fragrance.

We've had other members with the same problem in the past. One of them - Sixcats - became known for a while as "Sixcats, The Destroyer of Scents".

I recollect that in the end he did find some scents which had some lasting power on him (but that will take some searching of threads to find which they were).

My advice to you would be to try Joop Homme EDT. It lasts over 12 days on my shirts. Who knows, it might survive on you longer than your current scents do (hoepfully you would like it).
    Regards,
    Renato

Why should you wait after having a shower to spray your fragances?

Martin, you are not alone in this. I have the exact same problem. Spray on clothes.

This might not be the answer but maybe your body temperature has got something to do with it.
    I have noticed that on friends of mine with a high body temperature fragrances really project a lot for an hour or so.
    After that I can't detect them no more.
    I have a low body temperature and on me most fragrances last for more than 8 hours although with little projection unless I use a lot of sprays.
    This is just a theory though.
    Last edited by Nexus6; 23rd September 2011 at 04:48 AM.

I suffer from this problem, double or even triple spraying the same area seems to have helped, anyone tried this?

Would spraying on clothes decrease sillage?

Quote Originally Posted by Regrett View Post
    I suffer from this problem, double or even triple spraying the same area seems to have helped, anyone tried this?

Would spraying on clothes decrease sillage?
    Double and triple sprayng dont do anything for longevity really. It just makes it much stronger for a short while. I wouldnt go this route if I was you.

Spraying clothes works for a lot of people. But before you go off spraying your clothes, please make sure the juice dont stain your threads. If I was you I would try a little juice on the clothes in a place where it wont show should it stain. Also, spraying clothes directly can make it hard to wash the fragrance out of it again, so youre kinda "locking" that piece of clothes into a particulary juice (at least until the scent is gone from the threads).

Ps. you can try spraying your hair too. Since Im shaven bald I dont have any experience with this approach...

Never tried on clothes, in a general sense for a fragrance like la nuit de l'homme, how many sprays and where?

I'll get my gf to lick my skin for me, sounds like a good excuse eh

Quote Originally Posted by Martin L View Post
    Why fragrances don't last on my skin ?
    I own 4 fragrances
    1. Angel Man
    2. Le Male
    3. 1 Million
    4. Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey

Based on the reviews they should last 10+ hours but they only last 3 hours on my skin and they project for just an hour . All the bootless are authentic .

What to do ?
    Do you have a similar problem ?

Thanks
    My advice is to get at least 7-8 different frags so your nose doesn't get accustomed to the scents - sometimes you can't smell if your wearing a scent your nose is too accustomed to.

Also spray them strategically better - 2-3 on your chest, 1 behind each ear and 1-2 on your neck and shirt collar.

For instance I have Azzaro ph on right now, and can smell it clearly. I sprayed it on more than 14 hours ago !!

I used 2 spray under each arm pit and 3 on my chest

Remember if you don't want your surroundings to smell you, you can't expect to be able to smell your frag of the day 4-5 hours later.

It's your choice, use more and placed better or change fragrance.
    Or stay scent less like you (supposedly) are now....

A final tip - try spraying in layers !
    Use two sprays on top of each other.
    I do this on my chest and it sort of seals the first layer so the scent lasts longer.

I also think having chest hair helps a bit. If you're hairless on your chest, the scent might disappear faster, I wouldn't know since I have a moderate amount of hair on my chest.
    Last edited by CHSeifert; 23rd September 2011 at 01:36 PM.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Quote Originally Posted by Livingdead View Post
    I'll get my gf to lick my skin for me, sounds like a good excuse eh
    Is she the catwoman?

A few hours later, no lanuit. I sprayed three times in the same spot no my chest. Other people cant seem to notice it. So in addition to my question, does anyone apply once and then wait like 15 mins and apply on the same spot?

@CHSeifert, do you wait before you layer? I just did 3 shots and still nothing after a few hours...

Quote Originally Posted by Roper-Hall View Post
    I read somewhere on basenotes that the more acidic your skin, the more quickly a fragrance dissipates. If you lick the skin on your wrist, and it tastes rather sharp, as mine does, perhaps that is the cause. I try to layer sympathetic scents such as lavender and patchouli soap (Bleu Lavande) and Yohji Homme body wash, so that when I apply my fragrance it seems to be amplified and longer lasting. Good luck with that Martin, and Welcome!!
    Thanks.

apply the unscented body lotion AFTER you spray the fragrance. AFTER AFTER AFTER.

Quote Originally Posted by YEAHBUDDY View Post
    apply the unscented body lotion AFTER you spray the fragrance. AFTER AFTER AFTER.
    I have never done that .
    I will try your method , after all i have nothing to lose .
    Thanks .

Quote Originally Posted by Regrett View Post
    A few hours later, no lanuit. I sprayed three times in the same spot no my chest. Other people cant seem to notice it. So in addition to my question, does anyone apply once and then wait like 15 mins and apply on the same spot?

@CHSeifert, do you wait before you layer? I just did 3 shots and still nothing after a few hours...
    I do the layers on top of each other within a milli second - no pause.

I don't agree that less is more when it comes to EDT fragrance.

If I use 2-3 Azzaro ph, I hardly smell it after 5-6 hours. 6-8 and I smell it 14 hours later.

YMMV of course, as always !
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Spray on your forearm. If you are hairy, like me, it should do magic
    I sprayed a perfume that hardly lasts a couple of hours and it was there until the next day.

No fragrances project in the opening as they would in the middle and base notes. If that's what you are looking for, ya might as well call a quits now and save your money. Understand the way fragrances work, whether for male, female, unisex, oil's etc.

Switching up your fragrances will really help. If you wear the same fragrance all of the time you and others around you will become accustomed to the scent. If you have a rotation of a few different fragrances that should solve the problem. I have also noticed that applying the fragrance to dry skin really helps. Make sure you are completely dry after you shower and then apply the fragrance. If you spray your chest and you have a hairy chest like me, wait before you apply your shirt. Working out a little bit can't hurt either once the fragrance is on you it raises your body temperature and increases projection.

Basenotes Member

im gonna bump this cause i have the samee problems:

I have 1 Million and Le Male and they both project for about 30-45 minutes and then stay with me for like another 10-12 hours.. but you gotta sniff really hard/close to smell it...

i came to several conclusions: i have dry-ish skin and it is the winter time here... also.. i normally have a low body temperature: 96.8 instead of the normal 98.6 and that may be a factor. Also, since I am working out, my diet is of high protein and not too many fruits and vegetables...

I think that I am going to change my diet and spray my clothes as well and hopefully that will do the trick

I too have issues with this. My skin could oddly be classified as dry/oily sensitive skin, changing drastically with the weather.
    In dry cold weather (right now), my skin becomes very dry and even cracks, with an oily top too it (weird I know). I also will break out into eczematous rashes this time of year if I use the wrong lotions or my skin gets too dry. When my skin gets like this, it will eat any fragrance I throw at it. I also have food sensitivities.

My only solution is to work out in the mornings which keeps my body temp up for the most of the day. Good diet may also play a role. Right out of shower I use Arbonne unscented body lotion (one of the few lotions that does not cause a reaction on my skin). About 10 minutes after that I can apply any frag and have them project properly.

I've never tried to apply lotion after application of a frag, I may try this out.

Quote Originally Posted by Roper-Hall View Post
    the more acidic your skin, the more quickly a fragrance dissipates.
    As a jeweler, this makes perfect sense to me. People who have acidic skin also oxidize their jewelry. Their silver will turn black on their skin, basemetals will turn green, etc.

So it would be logical that skin chemistry could also oxidize fragrance. Drinking coffee, alcohol, and eating processed food creates acidic body chemistry.

I had this problem and it went away, I don't really know how...but I think it was a combination of olfactory fatigue, and dry skin.

Try spraying your hand right before you go to bed, then smelling it in the morning. If you still can I would have to say it's partially olfactory fatigue. Also, I feel like as you get used to the scent you start understanding what you're smelling and you can identify it longer (if that makes any sense) Finally I also tried jojoba oil to moisterize my skin after a shower and it definitely didn't hurt my results, also it's scentless. Might sound crazy, but try to apply less, it might make it last longer to you, as an inital very intense smell will weaken the following smells, or try not to over smell yourself during the opening. One last thing to try is have someone else smell you when you can't, see if it's actually your skin eating the fragrance or just your nose.