Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Power Where You Need It

Default Re: Quick Thoughts: Invasion Barbare, 1725, and Sartorial

Quote Originally Posted by hobbes22 View Post
    Ahh yes, I've been reading up on Lumiere Noir Pour Homme, sounds very intriguing. I saw a bottle at a good price on the marketplace last night, but it was snatched up right away. Just as well, I should probably try it first.

How would you rate Lumier Noir PH against 1725 and Sartorial (since you haven't tested IB yet)?
    This is obviously very personal but not being myself among the biggest fans of the rose I'd say is my least favorite. Don't get me wrong, this an outstanding composition and it's actually one of the few "rose-evident" fragrances I can personally wear but when it comes to preference I stuck with Sartorial or 1725. Also, they're not really comparable being Sartorial a classic fougere, LMPH a spicy fougere and 1725 a fougere with a gourmandic twist.

note: consider that I'm hyper-sensitive to rose. A small amount can smell like a soliflore to me LOL

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

My ranking would be IB, 1725, and distant last Sartorial. I dislike Sartorial because to me is smells clean modern metallic, a genre I hate. I can see it's the best clean modern metallic around, and intelligently weaved around a fougere structure rather than a sharp citrusy nonentity, and the warm clothes/warm iron tailor atmosphere is fun and realistic. It's also good that Penhaligon is trying to move out of its usual uninspiring style. But still, not my thing. IB is wonderfully rich and fuzzy, to me almost more a woody-spicy than a fougere. 1725 is very classic and fresher.

I also agree that Lumiere ph is in the set. I like it but I'm not a enough of a fan for a bottle. Unlike alpharom, I actually think that the rose is too subdued and the patchouli too prominent (though it's not a strong patchouli). It has a dusty and subdued feel, calm in the manner of most of Kurkdjian's scents. In the masculine spicy rose department, I prefer 1876, Cabaret (which is more rosy), or some of the Rosine iterations (eg Rose d'homme).

cacio

I get an old school vibe from Sartoriale also but not in a negative way though. I own and love 1725. It lasts a long time but the projection is moderate.

For those that have tried IB, how well does it project and last - especially compared to 1725. I need to get a sample of this soon.

Thanks all for your comments and thoughts. This thread will be a good resource for fragheads in the future.

It never occurred to me to include Lumiere Noir in the group. I own a full bottle and wouldn't place it as a fougere.

To answer dmarino's question about IB's projection and longevity, I'd have to say that its on par with 1725 i.e. great longevity with moderate projection.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Also check out Versace Black Jeans... It's discontinued but not hard to find... and very inexpensive, it's a great deal for the $. The drydown is very similar to IB, but w/o the cardamon, which is a good thing IMO.

Thanks. I'll have get a sample soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Thanks all for your comments and thoughts. This thread will be a good resource for fragheads in the future.

It never occurred to me to include Lumiere Noir in the group. I own a full bottle and wouldn't place it as a fougere.

To answer dmarino's question about IB's projection and longevity, I'd have to say that its on par with 1725 i.e. great longevity with moderate projection.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonoanimoes View Post
    IB, IB and IB!
    Yes, yes and yes!

I love Invasion Barbare. I'm living in Japan right now and for whatever reason I didn't bring it with me. It's the fragrance I miss the most from my collection and the closest thing to a holy grail that I've found. Mind you, it's not that it's the best fragrance I've ever smelled, but more that it just clicks so well with me.
    Sales thread here

Sorry to bump an old thread, but having recently tested all 3 of these scents,
    I felt it might be useful to share some of my experiences with anyone thinking
    of trying these scents.

I think all three obviously share a lot in common. However, I think each scent
    is unique enough in its own way to warrant a place in your wardrobe.

If I had to rank them, I would give top honors to Invasion Barbare, by a pretty clear
    margin, although 1725 would be a close 2nd. In terms of longevity, projection, overall
    smell and price, I would rank them:

Longevity
    1--Invasion Barbare (10 to 12 hours)
    2--HdP 1725 (8 to 10 hours)
    3--Sartorial (5 to 7 hours)

Projection
    1--Invasion Barbare
    2--1725
    3--Sartorial

Overall smell
    1--Invasion Barbare
    2--1725
    3--Sartorial

Price point
    1--Sartorial--1.7oz for $75
    2--1725--2.0oz for $125
    3--Invasion Barbare--2.0oz for $250

Overall ranking:

1--Invasion Barbare 10/10 (in spite of its price)
    2--1725 9/10
    3--Sartorial 8.5/10

I will say this also...I sampled 1725 after sampling Invasion Barbare.
    If price is important, and for most of us it is, I would tell those on a tight
    budget to go with 1725 if the Invasion Barbare is too dear.
    Invasion Barbare is still the clear winner to me, but 1725 is very close.
    If I had sampled 1725 first, who knows? Maybe I would prefer it to IB, but
    I doubt it.

Sartorial is an excellent fragrance in its own right. The only reason it's
    not right up there with the other 2 for me is due to its sketchy longevity and
    projection on my skin. Others may have better luck, obviously, and Sartorial
    is also an EDT whereas IB and 1725 are EDP's. I also find Sartorial's development
    and drydown more linear and uninteresting than the other two.

Three excellent "nu-geres." You can't go wrong with any of them really.
    If you love this genre, I'd highly recommend getting small spray decants of
    all 3 and see which you like best.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Aventurier View Post
    Yes, yes and yes!

I love Invasion Barbare. I'm living in Japan right now and for whatever reason I didn't bring it with me. It's the fragrance I miss the most from my collection and the closest thing to a holy grail that I've found. Mind you, it's not that it's the best fragrance I've ever smelled, but more that it just clicks so well with me.
    I'm glad you found something you truly enjoy with Invasion Barbare! Unfortunately, I've tested it several times and I guess I just don't understand it. To me, all I get out of it is the fizzy smell of sparkling water.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by CityFan21 View Post
    I'm glad you found something you truly enjoy with Invasion Barbare! Unfortunately, I've tested it several times and I guess I just don't understand it. To me, all I get out of it is the fizzy smell of sparkling water.
    Invasion Perrière

Sartorial is complex in the opening but loses it in the basenotes and becomes like a lot of fragrances with a sweet woody base. Invasion Barbare is sheer quality and really well balanced and I like how the violet note constantly weaves in and out of the sent even when the woods appear you can detect it.

1725 opens with a lemony grapefruit fresh spicyness with a touch of licorice and it drysdown to a soft vanille base. Its a simple fragrance done to perfection.

Out of the three Invasion Barbare is the superior fragrance as the sheer quality and complexity just shines through. All though are worthy.
    Currently wearing: Balafre by Lancôme