Code of Conduct

Default I need some spring/summer recommendations

I'm looking for the following:
    - A good fresh lime scent with airy woods and vetiver. Guerlain Homme is an option, what else?

- A fragrance with tropical, warm fruits (banana? peach? mango? coconut?).

- Something that smells watery. Not aquatic, per se... I'm not looking for sand, salt, and seaweed.

- An awesome masculine floral suitable for hot weather.

- Something out of the ordinary

Affordable is better than expensive, but if it's good enough I'll try it. E.g. Creed Virgin Island Water is not good enough
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N 2

Default Re: I need some spring/summer recommendations

Cartier Roadster
    Mugler Cologne
    Kenzo Power
    Creed Original Vetiver
    Creed Aventus
    Creed MI
    SMW
    VIW
    Himalaya
    Tom Fords Grey Vetiver
    Bond no.9 Chez Bond
    Bleeker Street
    Coney island
    Fire island

Quote Originally Posted by vbs View Post
    - A good fresh lime scent with airy woods and vetiver. Guerlain Homme is an option, what else?

- Something that smells watery. Not aquatic, per se... I'm not looking for sand, salt, and seaweed.

Affordable is better than expensive, but if it's good enough I'll try it. E.g. Creed Virgin Island Water is not good enough
    You are looking for Nautica Voyage. It is watery AND floral. You will love it. Its also very inexpensive

Montale Aromatic Lime

Cartier Roadster - have tried it, didn't stick with me
    Mugler Cologne - It's good, definitely on my maybe list
    Kenzo Power - Want to retry, was so fatigued last time i did
    Creed Original Vetiver - nope.
    Creed Aventus - have it
    Creed MI - have SJ Unforgivable, have tried MI, neither is quite what I'm looking for.
    SMW - I do not like it at all.
    VIW - ...
    Himalaya - nope
    Tom Fords Grey Vetiver - I have several vetiver scents (guerlain, sycomore, encre noir, fragonard, etc) that I prefer
    Bond no.9 Chez Bond - haven't tried many bonds, what are these like?
    Bleeker Street
    Coney island

Fire island - no
    My top 5: Sea Mist; Minnow; Crab, tiger, and almonds; Semprini; Rancid Polecat N 2

Quote Originally Posted by JonnyLeMale View Post
    You are looking for Nautica Voyage. It is watery AND floral. You will love it. Its also very inexpensive
    Have it, and love it. Its only fault in my mind is the squeaky jolly rancher green apple note. Otherwise, you're right, it is the sort of thing I'm looking for. Any other recommendations along those same lines?

You Know what I got it the perfect spring fragrance...Bond no.9 Chinatown it's a great fruity/floral scent. Give that a try

Issey Miyake 2009 summer edition
    GIT
    Allure Homme Sport
    My Top 10

1. Amouage Homage Attar
    2. Serge Lutens - Muscs Koublai Khan
    3. YSL M7
    4. Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan
    5. Chanel Egoiste
    6. 24 Gold by Scentstory
    7. Amouage Epic Man
    8. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    9. Bond No. 9 New York Oud
    10. Serge Lutens - Chergui

"A beautiful fragrance to the nose is like good jazz music to the ears, great food to the mouth, and Megan Fox and Jessica Alba to the eyes..."

hmmm. Creed Aventus has warm tropical fruits(warm, smokey pineapple )

I'm going to recommend a scent that I've never smelled on anyone else in my city, nor do I hear it oft discussed on this board or any other:

Chic for men by Caroline Herrera.

http://www.basenotes.net/ID26122610.html

40 positive reviews, 11 neutral, 4 negative. If you read the negative reviews, 1 was from someone who admits to not even wearing it, 1 says it smells like tobacco and no one wants to smell like tobacco, and 1 gives a negative review because the name is "Chic" and it wasn't chic enough. Take those negative reviews as you will.

The fragrance has a strong bitter watermelon note that lasts well into the drydown and doesn't run away in 20 minutes like many fruity top notes. The fragrance has longevity of about 6-8 hours on my skin, it maintains a good presence and projects without being overpowering, and can be had for a reasonable price at just about any retailer online.

I'm buying some spring scents next week, and I'm picking up another bottle of chic and another bottle of Kenzo Power. Those are my two go to scents for spring weather.

L'artisan Timbuktu perhaps. not watery but definitely fruity and unusual

@ hednic: Montale Aromatic Lime - Exactly the sort of recommendation I'm looking for, will give it a try. Thanks.

@ Oupavoc: Bond no.9 Chinatown - I tried this, didn't wow me. I remember the florals were really loud and stodgy (I remember it being similar to West Side in that regard... Peony maybe? ), and there were spice notes that didn't quite fit. Thanks though

@ change1: I don't like GIT, and have Allure Homme Sport. I do want to look into the Issey summer editions, but the first question I'd ask is: I have the original and it's a bit of a mess, I wear it but there are things I like more. Am I going to like the summer edition more or less? And if I have the original, is the summer edition redundant? I've read some other threads on the Issey summer flankers and results were inconclusive

@ Johnny: Yes, I have Aventus, actually wearing it today. I do like it, though I doubt I'll buy a second bottle should the first run out (hopefully an affordable reasonable facsimile celebuscent will exist by then)

@ Cartierfan: That sounds interesting. I like the sound of an unsweetened watermelon note with pepper and woods. Will definitely see if I can try it somewhere.

@ corbain: I've been debating whether to get Timbuktu for a year now... I had a small decant last summer and really enjoyed it. Great rec!
    Last edited by vbs; 5th March 2012 at 06:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by corbain View Post
    L'artisan Timbuktu perhaps. not watery but definitely fruity and unusual
    Great recommendation

Re Guerlain Homme, I find the flanker L'Eau as most suitable for hot summers

Fresh, fruity and woody. And not a lot of people use it
    Angel Schlesser Homme

A rather bitch-slap opening, but smells young and different. Synthetic, maybe, but rather different from what's out there IMO
    L'eau Bleue D'Issey Miyake

Great take on Spanish classic cologne, bright lime that warms up with time. Not many people know of it either.
    Agua Fresca by Adolfo Dominguez

- A good fresh lime scent with airy woods and vetiver.

You are basically describing Esprit du Roi by Penhaligon's - starts out citric then goes into a woody vetiver. Not too intense.

Batucada - L'Artisan Parfumeur

Sel de Marin - Heeley - Its more oceanic or coastal than aquatic with some salt.

Or Black - Pascal Morabito - read alfarom's review for an understanding of why its extraordinary.

for swap/sale:

Original Vetiver
    Aqua Di Parma Range
    Lorenzo Villoresi Uomo
    Geranium Pour Monsieur
    Lubin L'Eau Neuve

Dependent

Im goinc to recommend one but this fragrance might get some bashing here. Personally, Ive received this as a gift and I am usin it now when the weather is like 33 deg. I think its great for summer. The longevity is about 6 hours, projection is average but in the heat, its quite slight above average.

Im using my phone so I am a little lazy to check for the olfactory pyrmaid. But it smells a little spicy at the start
    Current Top 5:
    1. Frederic Malle L'eau d'Hiver
    2. Tom Ford Noir de Noir
    3. Dior Homme / Dior Homme Intense
    4. Thierry Mugler A*Men Pure Havane / Pure Malt
    5. Creed Aventus / Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille

- A good fresh lime scent with airy woods and vetiver. Estroverso by Nobile 1942, Assolo By Cal

- A fragrance with tropical, warm fruits (banana? peach? mango? coconut?). Eau Radieuse by H&G, Baihana by MPeG

- Something that smells watery. Not aquatic, per se... I'm not looking for sand, salt, and seaweed. Sel Marin

- An awesome masculine floral suitable for hot weather. Insens

- Something out of the ordinary Play, Calamus (both by CDG)

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

+1 Eau Radieuse

A slightly out of the ordinary floral, bitter citrus, kind of aquatic thing that just shines on the hottest of summer days - Dali's Le Roy Soleil. Bitter grapefruit and geranium, an airy but noticeable jasmine over light bitter woods and aquatic notes. Synthetic, yes, but in "the good way."

If you want pure water, and nothing but water (along w/ some air)... see if you can track down "Wicken 3000" by Six Scents (series #1).

Awesome masculine floral suitable for hot weather + out of the ordinary. Djin by Michael Storer. Semi-aquatic and citrus opening into an airy rose and somehow ethereal animalic base. Weird but awesome.

Another out of the ordinary scent that works really well on summer evenings: Skarb by H&G. Watery notes up against earthy, grassy and salty notes, along with some incense. It calls to mind images of dry summer fields, yellow and golden grass, sweet earth and dirt notes... maybe there's a stream somewhere nearby.

And how can I forget one of the most transcendent summer/spring florals for men: Amouage Ciel Man. This stuff is heavenly on a cool spring or summer day - best when there's not a single cloud in the sky.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 5th March 2012 at 10:42 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Penhaligon`s Extract of Limes.

Dune Pour Homme [Dior]
    Highly original (no citrus in a summer frag),
    especially in these aquatic days.
    Great combo of fig, flowers, tonka & woods.
    Really love it!

Banned

Really fond of L'Homme Cologne Gingembre, but Kouros Summer is also really nice as is Declaration Bois Bleu. I really wouldn't recommend blind buying these, but they are worth it and I get compliments from all three all summer long!

Horizon Guy Laroche -- Can find it at the Dollar Tree for $1. A Floral/green/aquatic with an 80s feel to it. I think it is discontinued so that is why the dollar tree has it. It is not a cheap knockoff that dollar stores usually sell. Can go wrong for $1. I would say this has a real masculine floral vibe to it.

+1 on Nautica Voyage also. Can get a bottle for $20 or less.

Riverside Drive by Bond No 9. Has a pineapple note in it plus it is a bit woody.

Banned

Eau d'Italie by Eau d'Italie - One is initially treated to a blast of freshness from the bergamot, with its citron-like bittersweetness. Blackcurrant buds, with their fresh fruitiness and a hint of cat pee, marry with the juicy bergamot to exalt a green, invigorating feel. A orangey and peppery frankincense lightly dances about to compliment the refreshing opening. Transitioning to the awaiting middle, the musty earthiness of clay usurps the mix to interplay with the entrancing florals of magnolia, with its lemony and creamy aspects, and tuberose, with its indolic mintiness, exotic sweetness and flashes of salty rubber and gasoline. Segueing to the robust base, Virginia cedar, with its aromatic, pencil shavings, yellow sweet clover, with its sweetly, crushed hay facet, delightsome honey, slightly peppery and musty patchouli, lichen, with its mushroomy greenness, all commingle creating a wonderful, mediterranean accord. Touches of earthy amber and nuanced musk compliment the majestic melange, and lead to an alluring drydown. This masculine-leaning and somewhat brisk composition has average, radiating projection and average longevity. Cognizant that it could be an all-season fragrance, this polished scent will shine in the spring and summer evenings.

&

L'Homme de Coeur by Divine - Upon application, one is treated to an appealing freshness supplied by cypress, with its slightly lemony, furniture polish element commingling with juniper berries, with their pine-like and marginally terpenic aspects as well as angelica, with its sour, vetiver-like facets. A shy, budding iris with its green, ever so slightly powdery presence remains in the background, and leads this refreshing opening to its heart. Here, in the cooling middle, the regal iris takes center stage, revealing its earthy, rooty and somewhat carroty freshness. Reveling in its splendor, the iris reluctantly transitions into its captivating base. Deer's tongue, with its vanillic and mowed hay aura interplays with a smoky and marginally bracing vetiver. A soft and mellifluous ambergris swirls about. An alluring drydown ensues. This refined, masculine composition is a skin scent with average longevity, 6-8 hours, and is wonderful in spring and summer especially.

&

Fleurs de Sel by Miller Harris - Initially, one is pleasantly immersed in an herbal deluge of red thyme, with its camphoraceous and woody facets, rosemary, with its linalool and coniferous aspects as well as clary sage, with its dry greenness and salty character. This remarkable accord conjures a parched, salt marshland, and meanders to the awaiting middle. Here, in the majestic heart, free-spirited wildflowers are added to the mix with the rich, floral elegance of narcissus, the spiciness of rugosa rose, as well as the stateliness of iris. The revised melange takes on a seaside splendor. Magical ambrette, with its fruity and oily, inoffensive muskiness supplies a benign undertone. Transitioning to the waiting base, a refreshing medley of relaxed and aged driftwood, luxurious and scented suede, smoky and green oakmoss as well as dry and salty vetiver, coaxes to the alluring drydown. This bewitching composition is basically a skin scent, with average longevity, but is nonetheless singular.

&

Fleur de Liane by L'Artisan Parfumeur - One is initially treated to a invigorating gust of seashore air as well as a faint, watermelon rind. A lush and verdant, vegetal accord, almost fern-like, commingles with the magical calone, providing a fresh sensation. Transitioning to the waiting middle, an enchanting, white floral melange, composed of waxy and lemony magnolia, tuberose with its creamy sweetness and marigold with its tangy bitterness, wonderfully enhances the bracing opening. This misty blend partners with a grassy vetiver, with earth still clinging to its roots, and flows to the awaiting base. Green and foresty oakmoss as well as spicy and earthy patchouli gently rear their heads, and are joined by the woodiness of camphoraceous cedar and sweet guaiacwood. A refreshing drydown ensues. This appealing composition can easily be worn in spring, summer or fall; and has good projection and longevity.

&

Story by Paul Smith - One is initially treated to a blast of a lemony and slightly peppery, citric accord. The herbal and faintly woody aspects of ivy leaf intrude upon and commingle with this sparkling citrus, providing a crisp, leafy opening, which saunters to the awaiting middle. Here, in the heart, a floral potion from the sweet jasmine and cardboard-like mustiness of rose leaf tempers the jarring opening, and transitions to the welcoming base. An altering melange of grass-like and clean vetiver, white musk, with its laundered-linen illusion, as well as a rugged, mineral amber coalesce. With an errant metallic and faintly minty something fluttering about, the dry woodiness of cedar squires the cleanly mix to a refreshing drydown. This light and fresh composition has good projection and longevity, and will bloom in the spring, summer and fall. A very nice fragrance which can be had rather inexpensively.

For lime and vetiver, you could try the new Guerlain Homme L'Eau Boisee.
    For tropical, try Comptoir Sud Pacifique Mage d'Orient (coconut/woody).
    For a masculine floral, try Colonia Essenza by AdP (also fulfils the lime brief).
    Out of the ordinary: Vie de Chateau by Nicolai.

- A good fresh lime scent with airy woods and vetiver. Guerlain Homme is an option, what else? Guerlain Homme L'Eau, fits your description to a tee and works better in hot weather than the original

- A fragrance with tropical, warm fruits (banana? peach? mango? coconut?). Not familiar enough with this type to help you...I'm kind of looking for the same thing myself right now...maybe Beyond Paradise?

- Something that smells watery. Not aquatic, per se... I'm not looking for sand, salt, and seaweed. +2 Nautica Voyage

- An awesome masculine floral suitable for hot weather. Issey Miyake L'Eau d'Issey Eau D'Ete Summer Edition 2009 fits both of these criteria...it's watery AND is an awesome masculine floral suited for hot weather....and I despise the regular issey miyake

- Something out of the ordinary Dune by Dior....great summer scent and quite unique

Good luck!

Another nod to Givenchy Insense.

I am in a green floral phase too. In addition to Insense, also Paco Rabanne Metal or Jacomo Silences.

For watery, something by Mark Buxton, like CDG2 (not 2 man, which I love but is an incense. CDG2 is a very watery rose).

cacio

Wow, what a great response. You guys are fantastic.

I now have an enormous list of stuff to try... I might end up spending more on samples than fragrances!