Code of Conduct

Thread: razor choices

Post razor choices

Hi all, I have been trying different razors as of late. I found a old Gillette Trac II handle in my closet. So, I got some blades for it, and I thought I would give it a go. I own just about every Gillette handle made except for the atra. The fusion/proglide does an excellent job, but it is a pain for around my nose. It is just to big and clunky for me around that area. I also have a Merkur DE, which I don't use all that much.

So, I was just wondering if anyone uses the old school trac II, atra, or sensors yet?

Default Re: razor choices

Nope, I've been using Gillette Trac III since the day they came out. Now about that Merkur...
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

I am now of the opinion that the new Schick Hydro 5 razor is better than anything Gillette has on the market. It stays sharp for quite a while and delivers a better shave than the Mach3.You can click to the lubricating strip out of the way for trimming under your nose.

Quote Originally Posted by itsjustjim View Post
    I also have a Merkur DE, which I don't use all that much.
    A crime if there ever was, especially if you have some Super Platinum or Israeli blades lying around, too.

I am interested on your thoughts on the Trac II + new blades.

Gilette Mach-3 Power it has vibrations, bought it when it first came out and never bothered to try other products because I'm very satisfied with it.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

I use an old-fashioned Merkur Progress. It reaches everywhere it needs to.

I got hooked on DE shaving over at Badger & Blade. It's a bit of a learning curve though and not for those who want to whip through a shave every day.

I also like the Gillette Proglide with power. It's a good shave and I use it for touch up after my Merkur 38c with Astra blades.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I got hooked on DE shaving over at Badger & Blade. It's a bit of a learning curve though and not for those who want to whip through a shave every day.

I also like the Gillette Proglide with power. It's a good shave and I use it for touch up after my Merkur 38c with Astra blades.
    I still have my father's DE completer with the old Wilkinson DE blades in the dispenser, along with his badger brush. The blades are rusted but I love this memento.

For whipping a quick shave, the cheap Mach 3 blades will work, but for the real experience, the straight blade is supreme.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I got hooked on DE shaving over at Badger & Blade. It's a bit of a learning curve though
    Well, this is a timely thread! Wall St. Journal just had an article about guys getting tired of having to purchase expensive upgrades to commercial razors. My husband complained about that very thing a few years back and has since switched to a double-edged razor and LOVES it.

(With the money he's saved, he invested in some scented shaving creams! With "flowers" in them, even! He used to recoil at the mere suggestion that he wear "roses." I think I've rubbed off on him. In more ways than one.)

Here's the URL of the article via Yahoo:

http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home...feeling-nicked
    Last edited by Aiona; 14th July 2010 at 02:35 AM. Reason: I've forgotten how to post URLs!
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

I've joined the throng of converts to the old-fashioned DE razor and I've begun evangelizing amongst my friends. They are cheap, have serious retro/old-fashioned style and the results . . .wow. The difference between a good shave and a perfect shave is immense and a very affordable luxury. I found an old Gillette Aristocrat at an antiques store for $5 and have hence renounced my heathen use of disposable blades.

Don't be intimidated by the thought of running real razor blades over your jugular each morning, it takes just a few slow shaves for you to get the hang of it.

I agree on the Hydro 5. I got tired of paying a premium for the Gillette Fusion, not to mention that the "lubricating strip" would go dry and make the razor drag well before the blades went dull. So I jumped on the Hydro 5 when it came out. Cheaper, smoother, and longer lasting. It is damned bulky, though. The flip-down "strip" at the top is a nice feature, but it is still a little tough to get under the nose, but it gets the job done.

In my case, just a regular Mach 3 or Blue 3 Ice would do

The Mach 3 takes care of business just fine for me.

I also like the Hydro 5. I have two Merkurs, and I like them both, but I'm often in too much of a rush to use them (even though I prefer them).

They just opened a V's barbershop in Houston, and I think next month I'll go for the barbershop shave.

The Merkur is an excellent DE razor. I use it with Feather blades and D.R. Harris, Truefitt & Hill and other shave creams.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    I use an old-fashioned Merkur Progress. It reaches everywhere it needs to.

Sure, you could just but one of those 5 (or is it 10 now) blade razors and finish shaving in 30 seconds. Or, you could get an old Gillette. Maybe a 40's style Super Speed. You could buy a beautifully fragranced shaving cream, a nice mug and a real Badger Bristle shaving brush. It'll take you 10 times longer to have a shave, but you'll get 10 times more pleasure from it.

Exactly! Though my total time to shave with the DE, making lather, etc. is about 15 minutes... sometimes 20 if I'm really being meticulous. That's not too much time considering the result, plus the enjoyment of the shave itself, as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by Dreamofgilgamesh View Post
    Sure, you could just but one of those 5 (or is it 10 now) blade razors and finish shaving in 30 seconds. Or, you could get an old Gillette. Maybe a 40's style Super Speed. You could buy a beautifully fragranced shaving cream, a nice mug and a real Badger Bristle shaving brush. It'll take you 10 times longer to have a shave, but you'll get 10 times more pleasure from it.

Wow, you guys spend a lot of time shaving... I soak the brush in hot water while I shower, then I pick it up and give it a shake to get rid of some of the water. Swirl it in the shaving cream/soap, lather and shave. Done.

I have a gillette late 40s super speed and a merkur hd 34c. These razors do a fine job of trimming around the edges of my beard. I highly recommend them.

As a member of shaving forum, I relish my daily shave. I use a Merkur 38C and Astra blades. Makes for a wonderful start to the day. DE razors aren't for everybody though. They take more patience than many men have growing up in the age of disposables and multi-blade razors.

The Gillette Pro Glide is a good razor too. But the blades are costly.

As a recent convert to the Hydro 5 (by accident)....got a money saving secret for 'ya the evil razor blade companies DON'T want you to know

It's no secret when new razors come out companies sell the razor dirt cheap in hopes you will buy the very pricy refills.

If you have a Wal Mart near you this week, I saw an endcap selling the razor + 5 refill blades and a full size Schick shaving gel for $9. After I tried it and it worked fine, I went back and bought 4 more.

I get about a month out of most blades with the way I shave, so for $45 I'm set for shaving supplies for about 2 years.
    TOP 5
    1. Montale Wild Aoud
    2. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    3. Montale Red Vetyver
    4. Montale Aoud Lime
    5. Le Labo Vetiver 46

Creativity is more than just being different. Anybody can plan weird; that's easy. What's hard is to be as simple as Bach. Making the simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity.
    Charles Mingus

Merkur Slant-Bar
    Merkur Futur
    Feather Blades

When I feel like using a Str8 I go to my Puma 5/8, Dovo 6/8, or my Dubl Duck GoldenEdge 5/8.

If anyone is interested I have some items that are available. Just PM me if interested.

DeepSilence

Schick Quattro. Or whatever with name of Schick!
    I had Gillette Mach 3, when i found Schick, i gave up using Gillette.
    You can be sure that it never doesn't wound your face (I had very problems is this case with Gillette)

Just got a Wilkinson Sword Hydro 5... so impressed that I have retired my Fusion AND my Merkur Vision 2000 (with feather blades).

The Hydro 5 teamed with Kiehl's white eagle shaving cream gives me the best, most comfortable shave ever!

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Well all this talk about wet shaves with quality safety razors got me thinking. It has been a hellova long time since I shaved with anything but a single or double edge disposable and I haven't had a really close shave in decades, so..yesterday evening I ordered an 'entry level' Merkur 34C and some Feather platinum coated double edge blades.

We will see...
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

kbe please don't view your Merkur 34C as "entry level"

That razor is a pure workhorse and the only way it has been modified is just for peoples personal tastes/beard type (i.e. longer handle, open comb, or slant bar).

You haven't bought an "entry level" razor...... you have bought the world-wide benchmark for all DE razors.
    The Large Print Giveth And The Small Print Taketh Away

Hello everyone, For starter choosing safety razors are always a good choice. One should not straight razors until they earn some experience. Cause cutting your skin won't be good thing to end up with. I have learn about safety razors and techniques from here : http://www.apennyshaved.com/whats-the-best-safety-razor , but here i found real heroes of shaving. Can't deny about it.

Switching between affordable DE (but planning to branch out into the more renowned brands like e.g. Muhle) and Fusion as of lately. Both work well on me.

Gillette Fusion Pro Glide works best for me as of late. Find I don't cut my skin as often as before.
    (948)
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by Andyjreid View Post
    kbe please don't view your Merkur 34C as "entry level"

That razor is a pure workhorse and the only way it has been modified is just for peoples personal tastes/beard type (i.e. longer handle, open comb, or slant bar).

You haven't bought an "entry level" razor...... you have bought the world-wide benchmark for all DE razors.
    Very good point. To me, an entry level DE razor is one with a very small blade gap which minimizes cuts. The old Gillette Techs fall into that category, and the only ones around now like that that I've come across are the Lord L5 (a Tech copy) and the current Weber DLC (near impossible to cut yourself).

The Merkur 34C is only "entry level" in the sense that one can then go on and try their open comb razors (I dislike it intensely), or their slant razor (nowhere near as nasty as it looks) or their bakelite one (their most aggressive one with a big blade gap). But the 34C and 33C (with the same head) are will satisfy most people as a razor inbetween the very mild and the very aggressive.
    Regards,
    Renato

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    Well all this talk about wet shaves with quality safety razors got me thinking. It has been a hellova long time since I shaved with anything but a single or double edge disposable and I haven't had a really close shave in decades, so..yesterday evening I ordered an 'entry level' Merkur 34C and some Feather platinum coated double edge blades.

We will see...
    I hope it has worked out for you, but my initial thought was "dangerous". Some people like Feather blades, but I only like them in very mild razors because they are too sharp for me (as are Astra SPs) in average aggression razors like the 34C.
    Regards,
    Renato

Merkur 180 with Astra SP blades and sometimes Feather blades.

Try the Gillette Sensor, the carts are cheap. I use them with a Pils handle:
    http://www.pils-rasur.de/razors/sensor/101ee.html

I have tried dozens of DE razor models back when I used to own a little collection, then I just got bored, so I kept the only one I actually used the most, which is a Merkur 41C. My favourite blades are Astra and Personna (also the QBall, same factory).

I believe than any man with enough self-respect should throw plastic razors away and get used to real shaving techniques and instruments! Plastic razors are expensive, useless - as they don't shave well - and exceedingly ugly.
    Last edited by Colin Maillard; 27th December 2013 at 11:36 AM.

http://shop.panasonic.com/shop/model/ES-LV95-S

I was a Mach 3 user until this revelation. Honestly get a better shave from this unit than any razor I've used, with almost no irritation.

I'm currently growing a 'yeard' but the Gillette Fusion ProGlide is quite simply the very best razor by a country mile.

Blades last a month of daily face shaves and every-other-day head shaves.

My youngest (13) had his first shave with one and from his reaction it was about a billion times better than my first shave was.

Yes it's expensive. So are a lot of things. Isn't your face worth it?