Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: What's your favourite ShaveCream ?

For the past month I've been using Trader Joe's Honey Mango ($4) or olive oil combined with aloe vera and the results are superior to the expensive and chemical ridden products I have used. Natural, inexpensive and very moisturizing. I personally have used a brush and high end creams for years, but found most of them too drying for my skin, not to say overpriced for what you get.

1. Martin de Candre

2. Cyril Salter French Vetiver

3. Acqua di Parma
    Last edited by shlalaw; 19th June 2012 at 01:28 AM.

Acqua Di Parma Colonia.

There's a sea of great ones, but my favorites:

Gentlemen's Tonic
    AdP Collezione Barbiere
    Castle Forbes

Anything by Gillette

Sandalwood by Taylors of Old Bond Street.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

They are not kidding. A dime-size application (I use a wet shaving brush on a wet face) produces copious amounts of smooth, soothing and super-slick lather.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

The most slippery creams I have are,
    Trumpers,
    Art of Shaving,
    Crabtree & Evelyn.
    The Australian Windsor cream is nearly as good, but at $7 is a fraction of the previous creams' prices.

The best brushless/latherless creams I have are,
    Jack Black Beard Lube (not really a cream, sort of a clear liquidy gel),
    Australian Natio Shave cream and Shave Gel (can't tell the difference between these two)
    Australian David Jones Luxury Shave cream.
    (These Australian brushless creams are better and cheaper than most of the foreign ones I've tried - a lot better than Neutogena, and a bit above the far more expensive Body Shop Macca Root one and Zirh one)
    Australian TriShave 3 in 1 shave cream, better than Neutrogena, not quite as good as the Body Shop and Zirh one.

And I am extremely impressed with King of Shaves Azor Advanced Shaving Gel.
    It is relatively inexpensive, it doesn't shave as smoothly as any of the above (as it's not as slippery as any of them), but it cushions. I have a lot less nicks and alum stings when I use it relative to other creams.
    Regards,
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 8th September 2012 at 06:54 AM.

I'm enjoying the Italian soft soaps / hard creams at the moment: Proraso, Cella, RazoRock etc. I've a couple more from that genre to explore yet (i.e. Vitos) but, once I've used up my stock of these, I'll start investigating some of the French soaps (Provence Sante, Martin de Candre, Institut Karite, Monsavon etc) as well as some of the artisan offerings from my own British shores. I've owned and sampled plenty of the usual suspects from TOBS, GFT etc but, for both value and enjoyment, I'd rather buy a cheap Palmolive stick (49p) or cream (£1.75). I've moved on all bar DR Harris's Arlington soap and Trumper's Coconut Oil cream.

Just Purchased Kyoku Sake Infused Shave Cream for Sensative Skin. They have one for regular skin as well and let me just tell you it BLOWS ME AWAY everytime I use it. You can get it on their website or Barneys. Ive tried NUMEROUS shave creams because I get severe razor bumps on my neck and this reduces the amount of bumps more than any other cream ive used.

Ive used Edge, Gillette Regular Foam, Aveeno, Jack Black Beard Lube and countless others. So far this is the best.
    "Stings the nostrils, in a good way. Im going to be honest with you, that smells like pure gasoline."

Current Top 5:
    5.) Santa Maria Novella Muschio
    4.) Dior Homme Intense ( Vintage )
    3.) Dior La Collection Privee Ambre Nuit
    2.) Creed Aventus
    1.) Xerjoff Ibitira

Dirty Shave cream by LUSH---The ONLY cream I have found that allows a clean safe shave against the grain of my beard.

Honorable mention for Billy Jealousy.

New York Shaving Company Original Unscented Shaving Cream
    Cushion , glide , lather , non-irritating ; checks all the boxes .
    I've tried many creams and this one leaves my post shave skin in the best condition .
    Their Tonsorial Shaving Cream smells like Creed's Millesime Imperial .
    “love lasts a long time, but burning desire, two or three weeks.”

Trumper's Violets is my favourite. Honourable mentions to TOBS (Jermyn Street and Eton College), Bodyshop Macca Root and Speick. And good old Palmolive.

I've been using Barbasol in the yellow and white striped can the last few days (Dad left it for me at my house).

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Proraso
    Trumper's Sandlewood

I've found that as far as "comes in a can" goes, it's hard to beat the Nivea offerings. They lather decently, do their job, and the biggest distinction from other "goo in a can" products: they wash off of your razor rather than clog it.

Dependent

Gillette Foamy Sensitive Skin
    1. Dior Homme Original
    2. Musc Ravaguer
    3. Portrait of a Lady
    4. Noir de Noir
    5. L Instant Guerlain pour Homme Extreme
    6. New Haarlem
    7. Pure Coffee
    8. Blu Mediterraneo Sicilian Almond
    9. Rose 31
    10. Spiritueuse Double Vanille

Haven't used cream in a while since I became a soap fanatic. But my favourite would have to be:

Acqua di Parma Collezione Barbiere shaving cream

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Proraro
    Art of Shaving Sandalwood
    Trumper's Sandalwood
    Trumper's skin food

I'm kinda old school:

Along with Edge Gel

Basenotes Plus

Absolutely, +1 for Caron Pour Un Homme. Incredibly rich foam and fantastic scent! I wet shave with an electric razor and this works wonderfully.

A little goes a long way...great suggestion cacio, my friend!

Cheers.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Caron pour un homme. I wish they'd made a Troisieme homme shaving cream.

cacio
    - - - Updated - - -

I have the Trader Joe's Honey Mango - great shaving cream, but it doesn't lather. Nice on the skin - as I use a wet, electric razor.

I can recommend the Alba Botanicals line of shaving creams in the same genre - all nice with refreshing scents (Aloe & Mint, Coconut & Lime, etc.) The key is a very good cleansing wash with an exfoliating facial soap, then rinse and apply this to moist skin and let it settle for a few minutes (and the nutrients absorb into your skin). Wet shave and you end up with very little razor burn.

Good stuff - and all that I mentioned are paraben-free and use organic/natural ingredients and are rich in Aloe and Vitamin E. What is nice is that all are also unisex, so I can use them on my face and my wife can use it on her legs. Very versatile.

Trader Joe's Aloe Mint foaming shaving is a bit thin - I use it when I have a light beard and am willing to tolerate a bit more razor burn...decent product, fair for the price.

Cheers.

ericrico

Quote Originally Posted by sacredsystem View Post
    For the past month I've been using Trader Joe's Honey Mango ($4) or olive oil combined with aloe vera and the results are superior to the expensive and chemical ridden products I have used. Natural, inexpensive and very moisturizing. I personally have used a brush and high end creams for years, but found most of them too drying for my skin, not to say overpriced for what you get.
    Last edited by ericrico; 17th October 2012 at 09:39 AM.
    “Some perfumes are as fragrant as an infant’s flesh, sweet as an oboe’s cry, and greener than the spring; While others are triumphant, decadent or rich; Having the expansion of infinite things, like ambergris and musk, benzoin and frankincense, which sing the transports of the mind and every sense.”

― Charles Baudelaire, The Flowers of Evil & Paris Spleen

I rotate Taylors sandalwood, jermyn st and Trumpers GFT....I prefer the soap in a bowl but add a wee bit of the corresponding cream for extra richness. Taylor's shaving soaps in particular produce a very nice lather....I shall stick to them.

Proraso green, Cella and La Toja soap stick are my current favourites. I've tried a fair few and I've plenty more to explore too - French soaps like Institut Karité, Provence Santé and Martin de Candre in particular.

I'm giving a plug to Cyril R Salter's French Vetiver, which I recently bought. It pairs brilliantly with Sycomore or Encre Noire.

I really like Art of Shaving Lemon. I'm just getting into the safety razor scene coming from a strict electric razor life, so I haven't used a ton of shaving creams in my day, but I really like AOS Lemon because it works for me and it smells awesome!!

Quote Originally Posted by Kybid View Post
    I really like Art of Shaving Lemon. I'm just getting into the safety razor scene coming from a strict electric razor life, so I haven't used a ton of shaving creams in my day, but I really like AOS Lemon because it works for me and it smells awesome!!
    You don't really need to try a lot of shaving creams. AOS Lemon is excellent and right up there with the most slippery creams I've tried - Trumpers and Crabtree& Evelyn. The only problem I've had with such slippery creams is that both with really mild DE razors (Lord L5 say) and with some cartridge razors (King of Shaves 4 blade Azor and Schick Hydro 5 blade) they don't shave close enough. Those razors instead work excellently with less slippery creams.
    Regards,
    Renato

I use L'Occitane's Cade cream. I like it.

for swap/sale:

In no particular order:

Art of shaving sandalwood
    Queen Charlotte Vostoc for the face freeze
    Queen Charlotte fougere
    TOBS St. James
    Musgo Real
    Lavanda (Ach Brito)
    Last edited by Keithmax; 30th December 2012 at 08:24 AM.

Razorock's S Maria is an outstanding cream, and the price cannot be beat. Hands down the best cream I've ever used at any price point.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I use Proraso, G.F. Trumpers, and American Crew shave gel. All work well for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    I'm giving a plug to Cyril R Salter's French Vetiver, which I recently bought. It pairs brilliantly with Sycomore or Encre Noire.
    I just ordered a bottle of Encre Noire, and I recently acquired a bottle of Guerlain Vetiver.... now I need to get a nice shave cream to go with those two. This might be the one. I've tried a sample of their Limes shave cream before and it seemed to be very good.

By the way, my favorite creams right now would have to be Acqua di Parma Collectione Barbiere for the warmer months and Taylor of Old Bond Street Mr. Taylor for the cooler. I've been using mostly soaps lately though.

Ben

Jack Black's Beard Lube. Love it.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

L'Occitan: love the subtle Lavander and perper
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage Tribute Attar
    ------ Serge Lutens: Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore
    ------ Amouage: Fate Man
    -------- Amouage: Epic Man
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir
    -------- Terre D'Hermès Pure Parfum
    ------ EDP FM: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Dior: Leather Oud
    ------- Hermèssence: Ambre Narguilé

For shaving foam, I've found that Noxzema is the best by a long way. I especially like their Sensitive Skin version and also the Coco Butter one...

Quote Originally Posted by Figuier View Post
    For shaving foam, I've found that Noxzema is the best by a long way. I especially like their Sensitive Skin version and also the Coco Butter one...
    So is this foam that comes out of a can?

I did have a post at Badger & Blade asking for which were the better ones to come out of a can, and while several were nominated as being adequate to good (the Gillette Fusion Gel several times), no one said that they were top league. I'll keep an eye out for this one if it's in a can, as I'd be curious to try it.
    Regards,
    Renato

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I use proraso shave cream and it get excellent, close shaves.
    Also like Art of Shaving Lemon
    Art of Shaving Sandalwood.
    Trumpers is excellent.

Aveeno products have been performing quite nicely for me lately.
    "We don't fail because we aim too high and miss, but because we aim too low and hit" - Les Brown

"When you're all alone, when no one is watching, and there's no one around to impress, that is who you are" - Greg Laurie

"I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

I have fully converted into using the AdP Collezione Barbieri cream full time now. I have pretty much stopped looking for alternatives, *very* satisfied with it.

Recently got this. Flew up to the top of my shave soaps.

Smells exactly like Fat Electrician.

Then again I have yet to open Tabula Rasa and Mitchel Wool's Fat soap I got recently.

for swap/sale:

Quote Originally Posted by ChoppedGarlic View Post
    I have fully converted into using the AdP Collezione Barbieri cream full time now. I have pretty much stopped looking for alternatives, *very* satisfied with it.
    IMHO you can't go wrong with these cream. I've not owned it since early in 2009, as I now exclusively use soaps, but the AdP was a memorable one!

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Recently got this. Flew up to the top of my shave soaps.

Smells exactly like Fat Electrician.

Then again I have yet to open Tabula Rasa and Mitchel Wool's Fat soap I got recently.
    I am a big fan of I Coloniali.
    I always Uber Lather but it blends so well with other creams and add's a nice smokey menthol mango kick. Try it with TOBS sandalwood cream. FANTASTIC!!!
    "We sleep soundly in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." – Winston Churchill

AK 1869
    Proraso Red (Sandalwood)
    Trumpers Coconut oil Cream
    Sans parfum, la peau est muette.

D.R. HARRIS Lavender cream with my Muhle super badger brush!!

My favorite is actually fairly inexpensive and may not work for everyone as it is very thick. It is Stephan Stay Smooth Conditioning Shave Cream and can be purchased online or at local barber supply stores.

Great recommendations all. To help complete the survey, my go-to shave creams are Nancyboy Signature Shave Cream and The Gentlemens Refinery The Standard shave cream. Both can be bought in sample/travel sizes.

i have tried a whole bunch of niche shave soaps and creams with my DE razor and mach 3 over the past 2 years but i keep going back to my edge ultra sensitive shave gel in the purple and grey can...no scent because my face is pretty sensitive and i get a beter shave than most other creams..i also use the barbasol in the red can that my gym supplies in the locker room.

- - - Updated - - -

have a jar of Tabac that i am going to leave in the gym locker room with a "free to good home" sign on it along with a few other grooming products i will never use....someones trash is another mans treasure
    14 sprays of DRAKKAR NOIR should do it

Used the Truefitt and Hill No 10 shaving cream last night , £8 from boots !!! Amazing stuff , my de razor just glides across this , it lathers really well and leaves my face really moisturised, amazing stuff for the price

I'm going to cheat. This is a shave cream with a shave oil. One product. Two separate dimensions. It's unquestionably the best shaving product on planet Earth. No wonder they call it The Absolute Shaving System: -

http://www.eyrebiobotanics.com/uke_h...roductid=16151

Thumbs up Re: What's your favourite ShaveCream ?

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

http://uncrate.com/stuff/cremo-cream...r-shave-cream/

This is amazing

- - - Updated - - -

This is amazing
    Attached Images Attached Images

Blog Entries

I tried forever to find a good shaving cream and finally I found the perfect one for my dry sensitive skin. It's Kiss My Face Moisture Shave in the unscented variety. It's really affordable and it's the only thing I've ever tried that hasn't irritated my skin or made me break out.

Nivea sensitive skin is outstanding to me. I also have been using a sample from L'Occitane called Cade and that has been a great experience lately for me.

Mikes Natural Soaps 10/10
    Proraso 8/10
    Stirling Shave Soap 8/10
    Taylor Of Bond Street Sandalwood 5/10

To be honest, almost all Taylors of Old Bond Street, Truefitt & Hill, Geo Trumper and Penhaligon's creams I have tried were on the same quality level - quick and rich lathering, nice shaving. The only difference is the scent. Personally my favourite scents are Jermyn Street (TOBS) and Eucris (Geo Trumper).

Currently using the Bluebeard's Revenge shave cream, and its VERY good, nice lather, smell and a very smooth shave indeed. A 100ml tub is like £7.99 online which is really good value, I've had it for about a month now and still plenty left, this could last me 5-6 months.

Previously I used Proraso's shaving cream which is also really good, cooling menthol as well. Before that was Bulldog's Sensitive Shave Cream which i got on well with too. But BB's Revenge is the best I've used so far.