Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default What's your favourite ShaveCream ?

My Top 12

Have to edit this post since I just got the Acqua Di Parma shavecream on offer for 50% off last week - and have now tested it twice and love pretty much everything about it, except the price

I'll give it a 10/10.

So my revived list is:

Acqua Di Parma ShaveCream 10/10
    Castle Forbes Lime & Lavender 9.75/10
    Fitjar Folgefonn Mint & Citrus Kick 9.5/10
    Penhaligon Endymion & Blenheims Bouquet 9.25/10
    Art of Shaving Lemon & Sandalwood 9/10
    Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort & Sandalwood 9/10
    GB Kent Mint 8.5/10
    Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street 8.25/10
    Dr. Harris Arlington & Marlborough 8/10 (had a bit of rash reaction when I used my 2 DR Harris last time, so they went down my list because of that)

What's yours
    Last edited by CHSeifert; 5th November 2011 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Upgraded my Shavecream den a bit ;)
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: What's your favourite ShaveCream ?

Rive Gauche PH

Quote Originally Posted by JON RODGERS View Post
    Rive Gauche PH
    Didn't know that came as a ShaveCream :lol:
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Sound Scents

Trumpers Sandalwood
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

Gillette Foamy Sensitive Skin

Caron pour un homme. I wish they'd made a Troisieme homme shaving cream.

cacio

I've recently started using Proraso shaving cream with a badger brush and am really enjoying the experience.

I'm a soap man all the way.
    Never could get on with creams.

The L'Occitane one and recently been testing the Kiehl's.

for swap/sale:

The usual ones by Nivea Men or L'Oreal Menexpert

Looking forward to try shaving creams by Avene and by Vichy Homme

Just shaved with my new Fitjar Citrus Kick ShaveCream and what an awesome ShaveCream. Almost soap like in thickness but lathers like crazy

This stuff is better than Penhaligon, Aqua Di Parma and Castle Forbes ShaveCreams.

Nice glass jar in organic Norwegian Eco look too, price £25/$35 for 200 ml.

9.5/10 overall, no 9.75/10
    Last edited by CHSeifert; 24th September 2011 at 03:18 PM.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

I love Castle Forbes but they don't love me. I always get a rash. Same with Trumpers. Domenico Caraceni makes a GREAT shave cream. I've ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Trumpers Sandalwood
    Also very nice choice !

My fav Trumper SC is Coconut.
    I find the lather of Trumper not to be on par in thickness with Castle Forbes/Penhaligon/Fitjar/Truefit&Hill
    - but Trumper is Trumper, a renowned Shaving brand, probably even more respected than Truefitt & Hill.
    Last edited by CHSeifert; 25th September 2011 at 05:38 AM.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Quote Originally Posted by SilverJag View Post
    I've recently started using Proraso shaving cream with a badger brush and am really enjoying the experience.
    Proraso ShaveCream is a classic. Will always be a part of my ShaveCream wardrobe
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Quote Originally Posted by StylinLA View Post
    I love Castle Forbes but they don't love me. I always get a rash. Same with Trumpers. Domenico Caraceni makes a GREAT shave cream. I've ever used.
    Have you tried all 3 castleforbes ?
    I know someone on a shaveforum ( The Shave Den) who had rash trouble, when he used the Lime. The Lavender edition didn't cause him any trouble.
    The Lavender CastleForbes ShaveCream is made for people with sensitive skin.

You should try Fitjars scentless ShaveCream also - magical stuff

Just shaved with GB Kent ShaveCream this morning and WOW it's really high quality stuff too !
    Not quite in the Penhaligon/Fitjar/CastleForbes league, but darn close in performance - and love its mint smell !
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

I've been using the Dior Homme DermoSystem shaving cream (nothing to do with the fragrance) the past year and overall i am pleased. Zero irritation, close shave, leaves the skin looking good, smells nice. Only issue is that it can clog the razor.

Speaking strictly of creams; does anyone have a view about:

Acca Kappa - 1869; Aramis - Lab Series; The Art Of Shaving; or Zirh International shave creams?

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Rudi View Post

Acca Kappa - 1869; Aramis - Lab Series; The Art Of Shaving; or Zirh International shave creams?
    I do

Lab Series - crap
    Let me explain - the lather ability of this product stinks, the skin healing properties are quite average - but the price is HIGH = CRAP !!!

Instead get the Acqua Di Parma shave cream If you want high $$$ ShaveCream - it's the best I own and I own Castle Forbes Lime + Lavender, Penhaligon Endymion + Blenheims Boquet, several TF&H, 2 DR HARRIS, 2 TOBS, 2 AOS, 2 Fitjar and a Kent, Proraso & Speick ShaveCream.

Art of Shaving on par with Truefitt & Hill, Trumper and Harris. Or better. I own AOS SANDALWOOD AND AOS LEMON both in tubs.
    Last edited by CHSeifert; 5th November 2011 at 06:41 PM.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

I agree with CHSeifert that the Art of Shaving creams are top drawer...many moons ago, before my shaving brush ephiphany, I used to use the Aramis Lab Series cream, IMO, it is also a great product but not designed to work w/ a brush. I know that there was recently a bit of a backlash from users of this cream when it was reformulated without the desensitizing benzocaine which set it apart from other creams...can't speak to the others you've mentioned - only used the Zirh shaving gel...

...oh, I guess I should respond to the original question . I still think my absolute favorite cream is the much loved Trumper Violet - very addictive stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nouveau Nez View Post
    ...oh, I guess I should respond to the original question . I still think my absolute favorite cream is the much loved Trumper Violet - very addictive stuff.
    So you prefer the Trumper Violet over the AOS creams then ?

I feel the AOS creams I own - Lemon & Sandalwood - are on par with my Truefitt & Hill creams. They are made by the same manufacturer, so maybe this is why

I have an order for 2 Trumpers, the Coconut and the Lime.
    But just found out the Cconut oonce again is sold out, so have to wait and wait.......

Ohh well I have already close to 20 shavecreams now in my Den, so can live with this waiting

What's your favorite trumper shave cream of the ones you have tried ?
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Well...from the standpoint of shaving comfort and performance, I think there is really no difference - for me, the appeal of Trumper Violet is purely a scent preference. Based on the huge love online for Trumper's violet, it was the first one of the line that I tried. I actually, just bought a tube of the Trumper rose but haven't even opened it yet. Not sure why I'm so intrigued these floral scented ones since it isn't my typical preference in fragrance - possibly because they are so novel/uncommon to the the usual U.S. shave cream offerings...but I also enjoy the eShave range, especially their Orange Sandalwood...
    Last edited by Nouveau Nez; 6th November 2011 at 07:52 AM. Reason: spelling...

I`ve been using canned Vichy Homme foam, but as I like to do things the hard way, I´ve recently started using Taylor´s Sandalwood cream. Really looking forward to trying other creams as well.

So far, it's CF Lime but I've just started trying out creams. Queen Charlotte Soaps makes great smelling creams too.
    - James

As a new addict, I´d like to know if there´s a dramatic difference with applying the cream directly onto your face or using a brush?

Quote Originally Posted by vhild View Post
    As a new addict, I´d like to know if there´s a dramatic difference with applying the cream directly onto your face or using a brush?
    Yes. A brush serves two main purposes:
    Firstly, it transforms your base cream / soap into a lather. When lathered, a good quality cream/soap will be able to hold a fair amount of water and won't dry out too quickly. A good lather provides a cushioning effect and slickness, allowing the razor to glide easily over the skin without any tugging or pulling.
    Secondly, using a brush lifts the hairs up, allowing the lather to really get underneath. Better coverage affords a much closer and much more comfortable shave.
    Once you become skilled in making your lather (either in a bowl, or directly on the face), you can judge, at any point during your shave, if the lather is becoming too dry. Simply dipping the tips of your brush in some warm water and re-lathering your face will remedy this.

Using a good quality brush also acts as a gentle exfoliator, buffing away any dead skin cells.

Quote Originally Posted by gandhajala View Post
    Yes. A brush serves two main purposes:
    Firstly, it transforms your base cream / soap into a lather. When lathered, a good quality cream/soap will be able to hold a fair amount of water and won't dry out too quickly. A good lather provides a cushioning effect and slickness, allowing the razor to glide easily over the skin without any tugging or pulling.
    Secondly, using a brush lifts the hairs up, allowing the lather to really get underneath. Better coverage affords a much closer and much more comfortable shave.
    Once you become skilled in making your lather (either in a bowl, or directly on the face), you can judge, at any point during your shave, if the lather is becoming too dry. Simply dipping the tips of your brush in some warm water and re-lathering your face will remedy this.

Using a good quality brush also acts as a gentle exfoliator, buffing away any dead skin cells.
    This man knows what he's talking about !!

+1, quoted for the EXACT truth

A good Brush is a necessity and a must with all great shaving creams (and soaps)
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Who am I to argue, ordering a brush right away.
    How should I make the lather; should I put some cream in a bowl and then add some water into it?

I usually use a soap but for a bit of luxury the Acqua di Parma cream is lovely. Funnily enough I'm using Santa Maria Novella cream now, the store just opened in HK so thought I'd give it a shot. Very nice but AdP is hard to beat if you've been wearing Colonia for nearly two decades

With the soaps I generally grab any sandalwood going but it's fun to try stuff from the various houses - GIT was nice one summer a while back and Villoresi's Uomo is also great.

Who am I to argue, ordering a brush right away.
    How should I make the lather; should I put some cream in a bowl and then add some water into it?
    Two things (well, three):
    1. Get the best quality badger hair (rather than boar hair) brush you can afford. It will make a big difference in the amount of water that the bristles are able to retain and will produce a superior lather.
    2. Mixing up a good lather is a noble art, one that takes some practice. Some people 'face-lather', i.e. load up the brush with cream / soap, then start building the lather directly on the face. Others (like myself), prefer to mix up the lather first in a small bowl, and then apply the lather to the face. Take your time to experiment, see which you prefer. Don't get disheartened if things don't work out perfectly straight away. Practice makes perfect and soon you will be making mountains of whisked egg-white like lather.
    3. If you haven't done so, then check out Mantic59's youtube channel. This man is the guru of wet-shaving, and a super nice chap. He has very informative videos on choosing a brush, mixing lather etc. which you should find helpful.

Got it. Brush incoming from Taylor´s and I´ll be soon ready for some serious sandalwood whipping!

1. Domenico Caraceni 1913
    2. Santa Maria Novella
    3. Aqua Di Parma
    4. Tabula Rasa all scents
    5. Castle Forbes Lime & Lavender
    6. Musgo Real

Nothing else I've used compares to these. Tabula Rasa is by far the most moisturizing cream I've ever used.

Forgot about AK 1869. It would probably be #7 on my list. It has lanolin and shea butter so very moisturizing. AOS makes a good cream too, but I much prefer their soaps (Sandalwood is in my top 5 soaps).

I have very sensitive skin and The Art of Shaving products are the only ones I have great success with. I use the fragrance free line and it's wonderful.
    - Expect the unexpected

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I usually use a soap but for a bit of luxury the Acqua di Parma cream is lovely. Funnily enough I'm using Santa Maria Novella cream now, the store just opened in HK so thought I'd give it a shot. Very nice but AdP is hard to beat if you've been wearing Colonia for nearly two decades

With the soaps I generally grab any sandalwood going but it's fun to try stuff from the various houses - GIT was nice one summer a while back and Villoresi's Uomo is also great.
    Just bought the Acqua Di Parma ShaveCream bowl last week.

WOW !!

This is my NUMERO UNO ShaveCream now !!!!

Awesome stuff

But quite costly, but a new steady member of my ShaveCream den.....for sure
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Two things (well, three):
    1. Get the best quality badger hair (rather than boar hair) brush you can afford. It will make a big difference in the amount of water that the bristles are able to retain and will produce a superior lather.
    2. Mixing up a good lather is a noble art, one that takes some practice. Some people 'face-lather', i.e. load up the brush with cream / soap, then start building the lather directly on the face. Others (like myself), prefer to mix up the lather first in a small bowl, and then apply the lather to the face. Take your time to experiment, see which you prefer. Don't get disheartened if things don't work out perfectly straight away. Practice makes perfect and soon you will be making mountains of whisked egg-white like lather.
    3. If you haven't done so, then check out Mantic59's youtube channel. This man is the guru of wet-shaving, and a super nice chap. He has very informative videos on choosing a brush, mixing lather etc. which you should find helpful.
    Listen to every word this guy posts !!

Quoted again for 110% truth !!!!

I face lather, but it's highly subjective what one prefer. I have hard water so use extra amount of cream.
    Normally I bowl lather for the second pass if there's not enough left on the brush from the first pass.

I can get irritated if I face lather on the second pass. To prevent that I bowl lather here and use Proraso White Pre shave cream. Only before second pass. Don't use Preshave cream before first pass because I only shave every second day, so don't need the protection before after the first pass - just before the second pass.

As always YMMV - shaving is a highly personal matter.
    Test, test and then test again
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

1. The Art of Shaving Sandalwood
    2. Taylor of Old Bond Street Mr. Taylor
    3. Taylor of Old Bond Street Sandalwood
    4. Van Der Hagen Deluxe Shave Soap
    5. Barbasol

Although technically not a shaving cream or soap, Shave Secret gives me the absolute best shaves. It's incredible how it works. You just wet your face and hands, put 5 drops in your hands and rub together, then massage into your face. You can do multiple passes by just re-wetting your face. It has a heavy clove/tea smell and makes my skin feel nice after a straight razor shave.
    "I am a robot and I like cheese"

Top 5:
    1. Axe Kilo
    2. Lectric Shave
    3. Vicks Vapor Rub
    4. Febreze Pour Homme
    5. Preferred Stock

Today I tried canned foam (Vichy Homme) with a DE razor - a definite no-no. I was a bit surprised as Vichy is one of the better foams around, but it seems the traditional shaving creams give better lubrication and protection against a DE blade.

Today I tried canned foam (Vichy Homme) with a DE razor - a definite no-no. I was a bit surprised as Vichy is one of the better foams around, but it seems the traditional shaving creams give better lubrication and protection against a DE blade.
    Quite right. Canned foams cannot compare to a well-made traditional lather.
    Some companies such as Geo F Trumper offer small sample pots of their shaving creams for a modest price. You might like to sample some different ones, or just go with some of the suggestions above.

As I've mentioned before, I'm really a shaving soap kinda guy. Of the dozen or so soaps I own from Trumpers / D.R.Harris / Trufitt & Hill etc, the absolute best I've found is Czech & Speake's Oxford and Cambridge. Aside from the great scent, it produces the most rich, creamy, moisturising, lubricating, thick lather ever. True holy grail territory. In a few years, once I've finished my other soaps, I will probably just stick with this one (unless I find something to rival it in the meantime). It is somewhat pricey, but what can you do (?).

Of the dozen or so soaps I own from Trumpers / D.R.Harris / Trufitt & Hill etc, the absolute best I've found is Czech & Speake's Oxford and Cambridge.
    All I´ve got is Taylor´s Sandalwood & Lemon/Lime. Is there an online shop for your favourite?

Quote Originally Posted by CHSeifert View Post
    Just bought the Acqua Di Parma ShaveCream bowl last week.

WOW !!

This is my NUMERO UNO ShaveCream now !!!!

Awesome stuff

But quite costly, but a new steady member of my ShaveCream den.....for sure
    I hear so many great things about this one! This or Santa Maria Novella is my next buy for sure!

Since my last reply on this thread I bought Castle Forbes Lavender and TOBS Lavender. The Castle Forbes is by far my favorite in terms of everything: lather, cushion, slickness, and the smell is outright amazing!

^ Vhild, Here's the link:

http://www.czechandspeake.com/Aromat...roducts10/2433

*note - the soap is just a re-fill and does not come in a soap bowl. I had a spare wooden soap bowl that I put it in (you can often pick these up cheaply on ebay etc).
    As I said, it is expensive (double the price of ToBS / Trumpers etc. soaps), but it is by far and away the best I've found. Obviously, that's just my opinion though.

^Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by SilverJag View Post
    I hear so many great things about this one! This or Santa Maria Novella is my next buy for sure!

Since my last reply on this thread I bought Castle Forbes Lavender and TOBS Lavender. The Castle Forbes is by far my favorite in terms of everything: lather, cushion, slickness, and the smell is outright amazing!
    You know the good stuff

I plan on buying Domenico Caraceni 1913, Santa Maria Novella & Acca Kappa 1869 Almond tub when ever I find it in stock in the shops I normally buy from.

Only problem is that Domenico Caraceni 1913 is out of production, so extremely difficult to get hold of that now
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking

Favorite With Brush = Cella Shave Cream/Soap

Favorite brushless = Freshave Shaving Mousse

Nivea Replenishing for Men

Quote Originally Posted by Calvane View Post
    Nivea Replenishing for Men
    Er, that's not a shave cream; it's a post-shave balm.

There is an AdP shaving cream in a jar and an AdP Collezione Barbiere shaving cream too. Which of the two?

Quote Originally Posted by ChoppedGarlic View Post
    There is an AdP shaving cream in a jar and an AdP Collezione Barbiere shaving cream too. Which of the two?
    What kind of container does the AdP Collezione Barbiere shaving cream come in? I'm pretty sure the latter is just the full name of AdP's shaving cream and that they are both the same product.

http://www.acquadiparma.it/en/barbiere.html
    - James

Quote Originally Posted by AABCDS View Post
    What kind of container does the AdP Collezione Barbiere shaving cream come in? I'm pretty sure the latter is just the full name of AdP's shaving cream and that they are both the same product.

http://www.acquadiparma.it/en/barbiere.html
    Yeah, i got confused, they are the same product that comes in two different sizes and containers (jar and tube). Thanks.

Er, that's not a shave cream; it's a post-shave balm.
    My mistake. I meant the Nivea Revitalizing Shave Gel with Q10 (although I use the Nivea Replenishing Balm)

Quote Originally Posted by ChoppedGarlic View Post
    Yeah, i got confused, they are the same product that comes in two different sizes and containers (jar and tube). Thanks.
    I think the jar and the tube are different products. The tube can be used without a brush while the shaving cream in the jar is meant to be used with a shaving brush. I didn't even know there was an AdP cream in a tube.
    - James

Cool Re: What's your favourite ShaveCream ?

My Top 12

Have to edit this post since I just got the Acqua Di Parma shavecream on offer for 50% off last week - and have now tested it twice and love pretty much everything about it, except the price

I'll give it a 10/10.

So my revived list is:

Acqua Di Parma ShaveCream 10/10
    Castle Forbes Lime & Lavender 9.75/10
    Fitjar Folgefonn Mint & Citrus Kick 9.5/10
    Penhaligon Endymion & Blenheims Bouquet 9.25/10
    Art of Shaving Lemon & Sandalwood 9/10
    Truefitt & Hill Ultimate Comfort & Sandalwood 9/10
    GB Kent Mint 8.5/10
    Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street 8.25/10
    Dr. Harris Arlington & Marlborough 8/10 (had a bit of rash reaction when I used my 2 DR Harris last time, so they went down my list because of that)

What's yours

So I picked up Martin De Cadre Shaving soap at TJMaxx for $1.25 and--

Arrgh!

Envy is a sin, I know but
    AdP at 50% off?
    Ya got good karma, CH!

I almost pulled the trigger on RazorRock XXX which I've been told smells very much like AdP but skeptic that I am, I restrained.
    Let us know if you find MDC at 50% off.
    On the other hand, don't. It might depress me further.

OK reprinted form the Off topic Forum:

Cool Re: The Top 5 of --Aw hell, anything you want!

Top 5 Shaving Creams:

1. Castle Forbes Lime---No laddie, you don't have to be rich to buy it. Just a wee bit frugal.

2. Taylor's Avocado---Fear not. It doesn't really smell just like avocados. It has avocado oil.

3. Nancy Boy Replenishing --- No, it won't make you gay or turn you into a cucumber.

4. Acca Kappa 1869 Yes, best sweet almond around. Classic Italian cream.

5. Acqua Di Parma Colonia--Should be #1 but at $62 a pop, and only smelling 90% exactly like AdP

But I quibble . . .

And I should add that Taylor's rose ain't bad, nor Nancy Boy Signature. I've still to try Jermyn St. and revisit AoS.--A bit medicinal but quite good if memory serves; but I've been told that it was recently reformulated ( for the worse or with no negative effects. Hm. . . What's the scoop?)

And yes, Domenico Carecini 1913 has gone the way of C&E Almond which, IMHO, put the three T's roses and almonds, to shame.

*sigh*

Good Luck finding it!

Cheers,

Mario
    Last edited by Mario Justiniani; 10th July 2012 at 02:36 AM.
    My Wardrobe

Reviews: http://www.basenotes.net/reviews/30

Absinthe makes the heart grow fonder.

My Antaeus can beat up your Armani.

Proraso ShaveCream is a classic. Will always be a part of my ShaveCream wardrobe
    I agree with this too!

My favourite shave creams in no particular order:
    1)Taylors Avocado
    2)Castle Forbes Lavender
    3)Musgo Real
    4)Cyril Salter Indian Sandalwood
    5)DR Harris Arlington

Domenico Caraceni 1913 and Molinard Rasoline

Basenotes Member

For a change you could consider two independent sellers of high end creams:

Queen Charlotte Soaps - http://www.queencharlottesoaps.com/
    Al Raz's Bomb - http://alsshaving.com/

Both are excellent performers...Al's creams are similar to Castle Forbes.

The DH prefers the Truefitt and Hill line for the badger brush, and the very inexpensive Kiss My Face line otherwise:

http://www.onthefly.com/product/true...cream-tub/8469

http://www.kissmyface.com/product/grid/20/204
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I've been using the AdP Collezione Barbiere cream (the one that comes in a 75ml tube, not the jar - i shave with a razor) for the last couple of months and it's pretty good. Classic Colonia smell, quick and hasslefree close shave, moisturising, uses very little product. HOWEVER, it doesn't seem to have a numbing component and for that reason alone, i personally find it to be inferior than my previous shaving cream which was the Dior Homme DS one.