Code of Conduct

Default OMG, I finally found a knowledgeable sales associate amongst all these nitwits.

In my experience, most SA are not knowledgeable at all.
    Recently I had two bad experiences with a SA who both were not knowledgeable and thought in their pea brain minds that I was the dumb one. They both had a way of talking down to me and arguing with me. The first one told me that they didn't reformulate Dior Homme or change the bottle in anyway. I told her that I believe they have reformulated and the new bottle has a black tube. She then told me that I am getting confused with Dior Homme Sport. When she opened the package to prove me wrong there was a black tube!!!! We then smelled both old and new and they smelled different.
    The second SA at another store was trying to push some new stuff on me and I told her that I am not interested but I came to actually smell Dior Fahrenheit. I told her I haven't owned a bottle of this for 15 years but I wanted to smell it since it may have been reformulated since then. She then told me that I am confused and that I must be referring to Fahrenheit 32.

So now I am really tired of making small talk with SA because of the two recent experiences. I am at another store(not a high end store but typical department frags) and a SA approaches me. I said no thanks I am just looking. I said that I am a bit picky and have tried most of the stuff here. The SA then asks what I wear. I then said that I right now I am into New Haarlem, Andy Tauer L'Aid Du Desert Marocain, and Guerlain L'Instant Extreme. SA then said that Bond No 9 has some nice scents (I never mentioned Bond no 9), and has been looking to buy L'Instant Extreme but has trouble finding it. I then said to keep checking Strawberrynet several times a day. He said that he bought DHI off that site. Also he is looking to buy Midnight in Paris.

Sorry for the long post but this just blew my mind. I never spoke with a SA that actually new about frags outside of what they sell. Barneys actually has some decent SA though. SA at Saks and Neimans usually are better than say Sephora or Macys BUT they only know what they sell (say Creed SA doesn't know much outside of Creed).

Default Re: OMG, I finally found a knowledgeable sales associate amongst all these nitwits.

Every now and then you come across one who is truly knowledgeable and that is indeed a pleasant experience.

Default Re: OMG, I finally found a knowledgeable sales associate amongst all these nitwits.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Every now and then you come across one who is truly knowledgeable and that is indeed a pleasant experience.
    It was very pleasant. We went through break note break downs of certain scents and I could tell he knew the note pyramid on many fragrances.

This is also pleasant because he could help me pick out fragrances that would suit me versus SA who just push new stuff.

I have been involved in retail my whole life and I have to tell you there are as many idiot customers an there are idiot SAs. In retail it is a joy to find knowledgeable customers, just as a knowledgeable customer is overjoyed to find a knowledgeable SA!

With that said, I have one SA at Nordstrom's that will see me coming and always comes over to meet me by name and shows me all the new things that she thinks I might enjoy, even if she knows it is not something I will buy. She loves perfume and loves sharing beautiful scents with me, even flowery woman's scents that I would not buy. She goes out of her way to make samples and is genuine. But, in the same store there is one that simply sneers at me when I come in. I can see in her eyes that she wonders why a gay man is in the woman's fragrance department since I am not going to buy for my wife or girlfriend, even though I have purchased a few scents marketed to women. Guess who I buy from? There was one instance when I wanted a certain fragrance that was only available at another Nordstrom's in my city and I insisted that the good SA got the commission for the sale.

Support the good ones, ignore the bad ones and if the store only has bad SAs go elsewhere. Idiots abound on both sides of the counter. Life is too short to deal with idiots, unless you are an idiot too, and if you are then you won't know the difference...
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

That had to be a Basenotes member or reader. What are the chances that someone who is not on BN would have bought DHI, and would be actively seeking L'Instant Extreme, right at this moment, when both of these are extremely hot on Basenotes? Did you mention BN at all during the conversation?

Anyway, good for you (and the SA). You should go back there.

I was at Sephora yesterday and an SA was attempting to push 1 Million on some poor schmuck, calling it "spicy" and "great for everyday wear." He sprayed it on a card and I could smell it within seconds from 10 feet away. Poor guy.
    "It's not what you look like when you're doing what you're doing; it's what you're doing when you're doing what you look like you're doing."

Quote Originally Posted by LiveJazz View Post
    That had to be a Basenotes member or reader. What are the chances that someone who is not on BN would have bought DHI, and would be actively seeking L'Instant Extreme, right at this moment, when both of these are extremely hot on Basenotes? Did you mention BN at all during the conversation?

Anyway, good for you (and the SA). You should go back there.

I was at Sephora yesterday and an SA was attempting to push 1 Million on some poor schmuck, calling it "spicy" and "great for everyday wear." He sprayed it on a card and I could smell it within seconds from 10 feet away. Poor guy.
    lol

I agree, should have asked him if he was "aware" of basenotes

I didn't get a chance to ask about Basenotes BUT he did mention Fragrantica

99% of the time the SAs dont need to have any knowledge because the people they deal w have no knowledge.

It's great to hear! As far as I am concerned, the few knowledgeable SA's I truly dealt with so far were a real treat, not just for the fragrance buff in me, but a source of intellectual and aesthetic enrichment, since they were the ones who pretty much introduced me to the world of niche

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Life is too short to deal with idiots, unless you are an idiot too, and if you are then you won't know the difference...
    Hilarious!