Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Luca Turin's error is that he doesn't award any points for quality ingredients

So my sample of Creed Sublime Vanille came today (again I implore everyone to buy decants and samples, instead of full bottles, so you can smell more things. Ebay has a ton of good stuff and tpc has everything if you want to pay more.).

Any way, it smells like a very simple vanilla with hints of fruit. The whole point of Sublime Vanille is that it's a very natural rendition of Vanilla, made with high quality ingredients that smell really good because they're of such high quality.

However, Turin's rating system only judges the note combination used in a fragrance. He doesn't award any credit for high quality ingredients. So he wouldn't give Sublime Vanille more than one star. He would probably write something like "boring vanilla akin go air freshners you get for your car, from gas stations for $1.99." That's why he rates some very cheap perfumes highly, and some very expensive perfumes poorly. Grey Flannel and Tommy Girl get 5/5 scores, but a bunch of Creeds get 1s.

Luca Turin, **** ***.

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Luca Turin's error is that he doesn't award any points for quality ingredients

I personally agree with Luca on the Sublime Vanille rating.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 11th November 2011 at 04:38 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Luca Turin's error is that he doesn't award any points for quality ingredients

Quote Originally Posted by Cerel9 View Post
    a bunch of Creeds get 1s.
    sounds about right to me.

I usually don't give much credence to his rating of a fragrance. I like this one though.

Post Thanks / Like

...Grey Flannel and Tommy Girl get 5/5 scores, but a bunch of Creeds get 1s.
    I think it's because, in terms of price, scent, and longevity, those two beat most of Creed's fragrances.

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't perception of quality very subjective.
    Traum vernichtung

for swap/sale:

Who cares if a perfume has high quality ingredients if they don't translate into a great scent? I think Turin is absolutely right to judge a scent on its merit and not on its supposedly wonderful components. I disagree with many of his reviews (noses vary), but this criteria makes perfect sense to me.
    Current Top Ten:

1. Creed Millesime Imperial
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Creed Virgin Island Water
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    6. Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    7. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    8. Bulgari Blu
    9. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    10. YSL Kouros

Why should the quality of the ingredients make any difference? How does one define "quality?" All that matters is the end product. I can take a bunch of "quality ingredients" and create an absolute disaster. Should I get points for the parts?
    Griff

Let me make sure I have this right: You started a thread attacking Luca Turin because of what you imagine he might say about a particular fragrance?

A perfume is A+B= C
    If you have only A or B, even if it's highest quality ingredient, it's not perfumry. An absolute of vanilia isn't a perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Why should the quality of the ingredients make any difference? How does one define "quality?" All that matters is the end product. I can take a bunch of "quality ingredients" and create an absolute disaster. Should I get points for the parts?
    Surely in any pursuit where you create something the core ingredients are vital (cooking,manufacturing etc), Why would you want a situation where you are consistantly offered the lowest common denominator? Its attitudes like that define the poor quality plastic in modern cars and the reformulated 'improved taste' in food that always ends up being inferior to the previous incarnation.

If you have a concoction of synthy products you'll have a product that gives you headaches and smells like the evolution of a toilet bleach.

When you're making a product to a budget its always compromised.

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Isn't perception of quality very subjective.
    To a degree and thats why people should sample for themselves.

I do think there is something of a misconception on the quality and composition of most fragrances by the general public, I agree with C9 that Turin's criteria are somewhat array and he isn't a good indicator of quality.

Its a good book though*

*If you're caught short on toilet paper.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember several fragrances being called cheap, therefore quite possibly losing points, thus I would say it is fair to assume that he does consider the quality of the ingredients.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sure he'll be grateful for the tip.

My thought exactly
    The hunt for a Signature Fragrance is not an easy one! I see the light at the end of the tunnel!
    Want to buy! "Nothing?!, well that's a first."

Post Thanks / Like

I think your argument is spurious. Good ingredients do not of themselves make a good perfume.

Beginning with good ingredients is necessary for quality results, but it's also how those ingredients are used that matter. Take, for example, an artist who uses the most expensive oil paints, but can't do anything worthwhile with them. So what? Or a chef who selects the best quality foodstuffs but cannot cook or combine them properly?

Perfumery is an art of creation. High quality ingredients, if indeed that is what Creed uses, are only the raw materials. Good construction is what ultimately matters. I do believe that using quality ingredients should count for something, but only if that high quality shows in the final product.

I'm not familiar with Sublime Vanille, and frankly, I don't think I can tell much about the quality of ingredients used in any perfume. So I cannot comment specifically. But I will say that if you like it, wear it and enjoy it and don't worry about what critics who are trying to sell books have to say about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Y'know, he's just another reviewer out there. They say opinions are like arseholes...

Post Thanks / Like

I've been saying here for a long time that reviewers of anything should disclose their criteria. If they don't, they get to "move the goalposts" at will, which is clearly inappropriate. For me, note contrast has become very important, for example, yet I seem to be one of the few people who cares about this (or even recognizes it).

Post Thanks / Like

To be fair he destroyed Guerlains SD Vanille in his review (which might be more complex than Sublime Vanille but can't match its ingredients).
    -

Sur la Plage

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    To be fair he destroyed Guerlains SD Vanille in his review (which might be more complex than Sublime Vanille but can't match its ingredients).
    Another accurate review by Mr.Turin.

Post Thanks / Like

What I don't get is how people off the street can make such claims about ingredient quality? How do you that Creed uses high-quality stuff? Please don't say their ad copy....

There's this magical instrument thats placed below your eyes and above your mouth.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    Another accurate review by Mr.Turin.
    +1 Anyone can buy another version of Guerlain's SDV for $220 less in the baking section at any grocery store.

Quote Originally Posted by Kron View Post
    There's this magical instrument thats placed below your eyes and above your mouth.
    Just because a perfume is made of synthetics doesn't mean it's a low quality product. Most natural ingredients are dirt cheap, anyway. However, if you are able to distinguish between various qualities of, say, vetiver oils of different origins and grades; or cedar, jasmine, vanilla absolutes, various synthetics.. in a perfume composition then well done and respect.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Who cares if a perfume has high quality ingredients if they don't translate into a great scent? I think Turin is absolutely right to judge a scent on its merit and not on its supposedly wonderful components. I disagree with many of his reviews (noses vary), but this criteria makes perfect sense to me.
    + 1

Post Thanks / Like

He gives Chanel, Guerlain, and Caron high marks because he claims they use good ingredients which is true I suppose compared to your standard designer.

AromiErotici

If a frag, regardless of genre, has a quality smell to it, then it's a quality frag. It matters not if the ingredients were expensive or not. The kudos go to the perfumer for using whatever they had to churn out something reeking of....well, quality......

Micallef ( for example ) smells like quality to me. It stands to reason she uses quality material, but in truth, how the hell would I know? I chalk her quality creations up to skill level.

Quote Originally Posted by A. Homme View Post
    What I don't get is how people off the street can make such claims about ingredient quality? How do you that Creed uses high-quality stuff? Please don't say their ad copy....
    Well, the lady at Saks told me that a bunch of Kings and celebrities use it. Do YOU think that celebrities and royalty would wear frags that don't have the most exquisite and high quality ingredients in it? Didn't think so. Besides, I've been wearing cologne like forever, so obviously I am an expert in determining what accounts for quality in a perfume.

Post Thanks / Like

............Any way, it smells like a very simple vanilla with hints of fruit. The whole point of Sublime Vanille is that it's a very natural rendition of Vanilla, made with high quality ingredients that smell really good because they're of such high quality.

That's why he rates some very cheap perfumes highly, and some very expensive perfumes poorly. Grey Flannel and Tommy Girl get 5/5 scores, but a bunch of Creeds get 1s....

There's way too much to cover here, but Tommy Girl and Grey Flannel are both excellent fragrances. There are few florals I'd rather smell on my girlfriend than Tommy Girl.

A few examples in which Turin and Sanchez mention Creed and raw materials
    :

Acier Aluminum (Creed) *** amber banana
    The name leads you to believe you'll get a metallic sporty fragrances. Instead you get a sort of banana-jam oriental. Very good materials, very confused composition. TS

Neroli Sauvage (Creed) *** green citrus
    Creed excels at conventional accords done with good raw materials, and this fresh, green, woody neroli is one. No great shakes, but works like it says on the can and smells good. LT

Selection Verte (Creed) *** fresh citrus
    A very nice fresh-citrus accord consisting mainly of high-quality lemon oil, verbena, and what smells like a touch of bouquet de provence. Unpretentious, straightforward, and zingy. LT
    Last edited by pluran; 12th November 2011 at 12:00 AM.

But pluran, do you think they would still get 3 stars if they were made by Coty and sold for around $30 per 50 ml, possessing clearly lower quality ingredients? This is the problem with not disclosing criteria or providing enough detail. Does LT take price into account? Would these Creeds have been given at least 4 stars if Coty sold 50 ml for $30 (meaning the exact same thing, including ingredient quality)? I have no idea !

It isn't important that an ingredient in perfumery is "good" or "bad" or expensive or cheap or natural or synthetic or high quality or low quality (whatever those terms might mean). What is important is that it is the right ingredient that blends with other right ingredients and together they all make something wonderful.
    Griff

I'm sure Thomas Kinkade "painter of light" can afford to use the finest oils and canvases.

Quote Originally Posted by HazelMae View Post
    I'm sure Thomas Kinkade "painter of light" can afford to use the finest oils and canvases.
    Exactly! (And a perfect analogy. Thanks HazelMae!)
    Griff

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    Good ingredients do not of themselves make a good perfume.
    Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    If a frag, regardless of genre, has a quality smell to it, then it's a quality frag. It matters not if the ingredients were expensive or not. The kudos go to the perfumer for using whatever they had to churn out something reeking of....well, quality......
    It isn't important that an ingredient in perfumery is "good" or "bad" or expensive or cheap or natural or synthetic or high quality or low quality (whatever those terms might mean). What is important is that it is the right ingredient that blends with other right ingredients and together they all make something wonderful.
    agree with all the above ... don't you get it ... the end justifies the means, not vice versa (the means justifies the end) ...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by monsieur_sparkle View Post
    well, the lady at saks told me that a bunch of kings and celebrities use it. Do you think that celebrities and royalty would wear frags that don't have the most exquisite and high quality ingredients in it? Didn't think so. Besides, i've been wearing cologne like forever, so obviously i am an expert in determining what accounts for quality in a perfume.

:d

Post Thanks / Like

There is no such thing as high quality ingredients in a pursuit as subjective as perfume. There are only different degrees to which people like the smell of a particular perfume. If it smells good, wear it. If it smells good, it's composed of high quality ingredients.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, let's just say people who believe Luca Turin get what they deserve. Imagine a wardrobe of:

Grey Flannel (five stars)
    Secretions Magnifique (five stars)
    Tommy Girl (five stars)
    Dyptique L'Autre (four stars)
    Davidoff Cool Water (five stars)
    Bvlgari Black (five stars)
    Diesel Fuel for Life (four stars)
    Jovan Sex Appeal for Men (four stars)
    Stetson Cologne (four stars)

OVER

Creed EROLFA (one star)
    Creed Original Vetiver (one star)
    Creed Original Santal (one star)
    Creed Silver Mountain Water (one star!)
    Amouage Reflection Man (one star!)
    Creed Himalaya (two stars)
    Creed Millesime Imperial (two stars)
    Creed Vintage Tabarome (two stars!!!!)
    Creed Virgin Island Water (two stars)
    Straight to Heavan by Kilian (two stars)

A spreadsheet with his ratings is right here, so you can see the ridiculousness by doing a simple sort in Excel. http://www.perfumestheguide.com/Perf...dex_Files.html

Post Thanks / Like

I don't care for most of the Creed fragrances I've smelled, so perhaps I'm in agreement with Turin on that score. However, I'll never understand his love for Beyond Paradise for Men. I can't stand that one at all.

First post in days to make me laugh. Thank you.
    Current Top Ten:

1. Creed Millesime Imperial
    2. Serge Lutens Chergui
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Creed Virgin Island Water
    5. Chanel Eau de Cologne
    6. Thierry Mugler Pure Havane
    7. Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    8. Bulgari Blu
    9. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    10. YSL Kouros

how do you know what's a quality ingredient, Cerel9? Been in the perfume manufacturing industry a long time? Gone to a bunch of factories and plants and done comparisons of everything that's available? Tell more about these high quality ingredients, and how you spot them. What's the difference between "smells good to a perfume hobbyist" and real quality that's worth paying for??

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I hear this one is a HUGE compliment-getter, too!

Post Thanks / Like

I bought Turin's book in a local used bookstore, and while it's a fun read and reference book, I find many of his reviews really pointless and laughable. I put way more credence in the YouTube reviewers (like Marc Robes08) than I do Turin. (and just why is he such a famous critic anyway. Honestly, I'd never heard of him before).

Quote Originally Posted by A. Homme View Post

:d
    lol I was totally being absurd and asinine on purpose. I agree that the average guy (such as myself) is in no way suited to make authoritative statements concerning the quality of ingredients Creed uses.

I was going to comment... but, honestly, I have no words.

Just >.<

Post Thanks / Like

As pluran pointed out Turin definitely does value ingredient quality. Ingredient quality is not subjective but based on long established criteria about chemical composition.
    A great perfumer may not always chose great quality ingredients. Jaques Guerlain famously blended high quality natural vanilla with synthetic vanillin which contained large impurities because he wanted some " dirt" in the smell.
    Turin issue of bias (which I'm sure he would acknowledge) is his love affair with classical French perfumery which is form which was extant from circa 1880 to circa 2000 and involved combinations of naturals and synthetics. Lots of high quality naturals are an essential component of the best examples of this style. He seems to me to be a little too rapidly dismissive of perfumes, like some of the creeds, which are made from good stuff but don't conform to the urban-complex ethic of a Guerlain or Chanel.
    I love classical French perfumery too- which perfume lover doesn't? However I also like other traditions like British, middle eastern, asian and natural.
    "Dont try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Hillaire

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    There's way too much to cover here, but Tommy Girl and Grey Flannel are both excellent fragrances. There are few florals I'd rather smell on my girlfriend than Tommy Girl.

A few examples in which Turin and Sanchez mention Creed and raw materials
    :

Acier Aluminum (Creed) *** amber banana
    The name leads you to believe you'll get a metallic sporty fragrances. Instead you get a sort of banana-jam oriental. Very good materials, very confused composition. TS

Neroli Sauvage (Creed) *** green citrus
    Creed excels at conventional accords done with good raw materials, and this fresh, green, woody neroli is one. No great shakes, but works like it says on the can and smells good. LT

Selection Verte (Creed) *** fresh citrus
    A very nice fresh-citrus accord consisting mainly of high-quality lemon oil, verbena, and what smells like a touch of bouquet de provence. Unpretentious, straightforward, and zingy. LT

Looks a little like points being awarded for quality ingredients.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    Looks a little like points being awarded for quality ingredients.
    Does a little, doesn't it? I think the OP was basing his assumptions off the excel spreadsheet, which makes me wonder how he can wade in giving LT advice if he hasn't read the book . . . whatever. The good news, these chip on the shoulder 'they don't like what I like and they do like stuff I don't like so therefore what right do they have to write' threads seem to be a bit thinner on the ground these days. Anyway, off to the Lauder shop for Sunday obeisances, peace and 'paradise and beyond' to all . . . Oh yeah. Or something like that

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII
    Post Thanks / Like

Guess OP may diss anyone whose rating of a fragrance doesn't quite match his own. Truth be told, I'd wear Grey Flannel over half the Creeds any day...not because they are bad, but simply because as a fragrance composition, GF is superb, even if the ingredients don't match up to those used in Creed.
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 15th November 2011 at 03:52 PM.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    The good news, these chip on the shoulder 'they don't like what I like and they do like stuff I don't like so therefore what right do they have to write' threads seem to be a bit thinner on the ground these days. Anyway, off to the Lauder shop for Sunday obeisances, peace and 'paradise and beyond' to all . . .
    There are *plenty* of reasons for criticizing "The "A-Z" Guide" which have nothing to do with the authors' idiosyncratic tastes. I'd list them here, but what's the point? Only to have them deleted? My review of that book is now found on the fragrantica site, btw. (See my profile for the link)

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Regarding, specifically, the OP:

One example that leapt immediately to mind was Salvadaor Dali LAGUNA. Smells great for about two hours (on skin) and no doubt on paper (which may have been the basis of the four-star review in "The Guide"). However, after a few hours it starts to smell rank and gross and makes me wonder whether there is not a reason why it costs so little. Well, it's not the perfumer (Mark Buxton), so maybe the ingredients?

So, the point is: I don't think that the OP is totally off the wall, as some comments have suggested.

Post Thanks / Like

Yup, and the one mystifying so many of us, of course, is Beyond Paradise :)but the point here is the proposition by the OP that LT's criteria for reviewing ignores quality of ingredients and that LT should, therefore, " **** *** ". The argument is then supported, if that's what you can call it, by a list of the OP faves versus a list of various perfumes that some might agree are stellar and some might scratch their heads at, but still it sounds like "how come the ones I like got panned" to me?

But fine, he's entitled to his opinion and people here are entitled to agree or disagree . . . or not.

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

I think my post at 1:44PM above settles this debate decisively in my favor, and again the spreadsheet is linked in that post for others to investigate the errors of Luca Turin.

Ok I do have to say something.

1. Luca and Tania's work has done wonders for legitimising perfume critique as a 'genre'
    2. Do you also rant about film critic reviews that don't match with your opinion?
    3. You DO understand that whilst Luca and Tania's opinions are certainly informed - that they really are only subjective opinions of two perfume fans. And that this is okay - and if you want to praise Creed, you are free to voice your own opinion in whatever format you wish. Right? Because it's exactly posts like yours that give their book(s) more credibility as some kind of 'perfume gospel' which is, presumably, what annoys you in a first place.

It's an entertaining book for perfume lovers. And I bet it has made perfume lovers out of many merely perfume-curious.

If your opinion of Creed scents differs, who cares? You seem to be very upset over something that is essentially meant to be a deal with you and your taste: if the product gives you joy and satisfaction, what do you care what Luca says about it? Unless... you care more about the perceived status and external validation of your purchases and what they are meant to 'say about you' as a person.

Luca Turin, **** ***.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? I hate it when people speak in mysterious codes, but I've had a think, and I believe I've come up with some possibilities.

Luca Turin, love you.
    Luca Turin, hats off.
    Luca Turin, good job.
    Luca Turin, FIRE RUN. (This would make sense if, while typing, a fire broke out in the original poster's kitchen. Panicking, the OP continued to type in frantic stars before perishing.)
    Luca Turin, Help me!. (Again, I had fire scenarios on the brain, but I discounted this one as the punctuation is nonsensical.)

Anyway, that's one mystery solved. You're welcome.
    Last edited by Veliziraptor; 14th November 2011 at 09:00 PM.

AromiErotici

Quote Originally Posted by Veliziraptor View Post
    Luca Turin, **** ***.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? I hate it when people speak in mysterious codes, but I've had a think, and I believe I've come up with some possibilities.

Luca Turin, love you.
    Luca Turin, hats off.
    Luca Turin, good job.
    Luca Turin, FIRE RUN. (This would make sense if, while typing, the a fire broke out in the original poster's kitchen. Panicking, the OP continued to type in frantic stars before perishing.)
    Luca Turin, Help me!. (Again, I had fire scenarios on the brain, but I discounted this one as the punctuation is nonsensical.)

Are we supposed to understand what that hell that means?

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Luca Turin, **** ***.

WHAT DOES THIS MEAN? I hate it when people speak in mysterious codes,
    Dude: you need to sharpen your Scrabble skills!

I'm pretty sure that's an illegal move in Scrabble.

Post Thanks / Like

Luca Turin, **** ***.

Luca Turin, love you.
    Luca Turin, hats off.
    Luca Turin, good job.
    Luca Turin, FIRE RUN. (This would make sense if, while typing, a fire broke out in the original poster's kitchen. Panicking, the OP continued to type in frantic stars before perishing.)

I thought it was funny.

"Maybe in order to understand mankind, we have to look at the word itself. Mankind. Basically, it's made up of two separate words---'mank' and 'ind'. What do these words mean It's a mystery, and that's why so is mankind."
    -Jack Handy

One thing I was thinking about recently s that one can think of fragrances in terms of "art" or personal preferences. You can do both, but it's important to disclose this distinction if you write a review. LT and TS didn't do this in the 2008 "Perfumes: The Guide" book, but instead, their reviews taken as a whole tended to blur this distinction. And I think this is where much of the "problem" with their book lies. For example, LT points out that he wore PdN's New York for many years. Did he do this because he liked it personally or because he thought it was an olfactory masterpiece (or both)? In other reviews he talks about fragrances being difficult to actually wear, but there was clearly praise involved.

I don't mind the fragrance as art idea, but I don't necessarily want to wear art for several hours (if the frag even lasts that long). This is why I think the best approach would be to have a history section where artistic notions are discussed, and then have a more practical section. The latter would include what frags are similar to the one you are reviewing and how they compare. Criteria such as naturalness, balance, blending, dynamism, etc. would be discussed here. In my reviews, I often also mention who should probably avoid the frag, such as "if you don't like the old school men's fragrances, this is one I can't imagine that you'll like."

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    One thing I was thinking about recently is that one can think of fragrances in terms of "art" or personal preferences. You can do both, but it's important to disclose this distinction if you write a review. LT and TS didn't do this in the 2008 "Perfumes: The Guide" book, but instead, their reviews taken as a whole tended to blur this distinction. And I think this is where much of the "problem" with their book lies. For example, LT points out that he wore PdN's New York for many years. Did he do this because he liked it personally or because he thought it was an olfactory masterpiece (or both)?
    I tried to make this very point a while back, but my post was deleted. If memory serves, the "offensive" remark went something like this:

"The authors cannot seem to decide whether they want to do hoity-toity art criticism or offer practical perfume-buying advice to hoi polloi."

I also think that very personal historical facts--such as that LT used to work in an office that smelled like this perfume or that his father wore that one (or that LT had bad sex with someone wearing AMARIGE???)--sometimes seem to exert an undue influence on the outcome of the perfume's "critical" evaluation. And that is not even to mention his explicit reference to some perfumers (CB, MB...) as his "friends".