Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 28 of 28
  1. #1

    Default The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    Just talked to our own Eric about this and we agreed we wanted to share. Not many Guerlain threads these days :-) It has been mentioned on Perfume of Life already, but apparently not around here too much. Anyway, it's nothing very exciting:

    Due to a copyright conflict, presumably with D'Orsay's Le Dandy, the name of Guerlain's Arsène Lupin Dandy has been changed into only Arsène Lupin. All bottles bearing the "Dandy" name have been withdrawn from stock. The design of the bottle is unaltered, and the name of Arsène Lupin Voyou also stays the same.

    So, first-edition Arsène Lupin Dandy is already collectible!

    http://monsieurguerlain2.blogspot.com/2008/06/news.html

  2. #2

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    Yep, once I realised Mr. G had mentioned it earlier on his blog,I was a bit embarrassed mentioning it to him , but being a fan of especially Dandy, we thought it wouldn´t hurt mentioning it.

    So as of 2012 Arsene Lupin Dandy will be named Arsene Lupin and Voyou will be named Voyou.
    I also read some more on it stumbling on this blog,
    http://www.suburbanites.com/reviews/...-dandy-review/

  3. #3

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    Interesting info. Thanks.

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Washington, DC
    Posts
    8,616
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    I would be even better if they simply killed the Voyou and left only the Lupin.

    cacio

  5. #5
    Dependent morrison74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    2,157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    What will happen to the withdrawn "Dandy" bottles? Will they simply be relabeled and resold? It would be a terrible waste if they had to be destroyed or something.
    Last edited by morrison74; 25th September 2011 at 06:48 AM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

    Wanted



  6. #6

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    What a shame for Guerlain's scent. I like it.

    There is also Varon Dandy, which came out in the 1920s and can still be purchased.

    I think the word "dandy" is like the word "peace." How can you copyright such a general term?

    What of the word "blue" or "bleue."

    Silly. Then again, the whole fanciful marketing story of Parfums D'Orsay is really inaccurate anyway.

    In the 1940s and then revived in the 1990s, the brand published books to shore up the myth.

    Read these books for the real truth on the company:

    Nigel Groom, 2nd ed. "The Perfume Handbook."
    Ken Leach. "Perfume Presentations."
    Madeline Marsh. "Miller's Perfume Bottles: A Collector's Guide."

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    Just talked to our own Eric about this and we agreed we wanted to share. Not many Guerlain threads these days :-) It has been mentioned on Perfume of Life already, but apparently not around here too much. Anyway, it's nothing very exciting:

    Due to a copyright conflict, presumably with D'Orsay's Le Dandy, the name of Guerlain's Arsène Lupin Dandy has been changed into only Arsène Lupin. All bottles bearing the "Dandy" name have been withdrawn from stock. The design of the bottle is unaltered, and the name of Arsène Lupin Voyou also stays the same.

    So, first-edition Arsène Lupin Dandy is already collectible!

    http://monsieurguerlain2.blogspot.com/2008/06/news.html
    I am glad I have a backup of the Guerlain Dandy. As Luca Turin suggests, if you love something, buy extra bottles.
    Last edited by Primrose; 25th September 2011 at 06:38 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  7. #7
    Basenotes Institution
    mikeperez23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Miami, FL
    Posts
    25,723
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    Ulrik, is your bottle the one with 'Dandy' on it?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

    -- Jack Kerouac

  8. #8

    jathanas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    I'm glad. Dandy is a bit of a lame term, IMHO, so let D'Orsay have it.

    These days most guys are well groomed, practice hygiene, and even moisturize but I don't know anyone who'd be happy to be called a "dandy". It's not something most aspire to.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

  9. #9
    mr. reasonable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Hong Kong
    Posts
    6,380
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    Agree - I won't miss the name at all. I'm not sure it even suited the mood of scent, particularly.

    I like both of these, regardless
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 26th September 2011 at 05:05 AM.

  10. #10
    Ken_Russell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Sibiu
    Posts
    17,686
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    In fact, Guerlain is by itself a fragrance house of dandified scents anyway

  11. #11

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    I saw the "new" bottle and thought Guerlain was discontinuing "Voyou" and thus no longer needed to differentiate the two Arsene Lupin fragrances
    Happily, ex-Dandy is still the same excellent (however too expensive) fragrance

  12. #12
    mrclmind's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    3,127
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I would be even better if they simply killed the Voyou and left only the Lupin.

    cacio
    I LOVE Voyou. A better remedy would be that people who don't like it, don't buy it and leave it alone for the rest of us who do.

  13. #13
    Dependent morrison74's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Posts
    2,157
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I LOVE Voyou.
    Me too.....
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

    Wanted



  14. #14

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    In fact, Guerlain is by itself a fragrance house of dandified scents anyway
    Hear, hear, Ken!

    Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    I'm glad. Dandy is a bit of a lame term, IMHO, so let D'Orsay have it.

    These days most guys are well groomed, practice hygiene, and even moisturize but I don't know anyone who'd be happy to be called a "dandy". It's not something most aspire to.
    I beg to differ. I aspire to be one each and every day! I revel in the use of that term.

    The word "dandy," when used today, is a quaint term that harkens back to a time where men took pride in themselves and their grooming. It was a ritual. Of course, only the very wealthy had time to do this. One had to be an individualist who did not give a d&mn about what others thought of you, your clothing, your pastimes, behaviour or grooming. (These early dandies had balls, I tell you, and some took to dueling with sword or pistol to settle disagreements as a matter of course. Don't let the perfume fool you. They were hard-living, hard-drinking, hard-gambling womanisers who could go head-to-head with any cowboy from the American West--or Down Under--of their day. There were superb riders and connoisseurs of horseflesh. The term did connote milksoppery toward the end of the 19th century, though, hence the term fell out of use.) Snobbery plays a role in the marketing of most luxury goods anyway.

    I would laugh to see a scent called, "Arsene Lupin Metrosexual."

    In France, this would bring to mind someone on the Paris subway. Metrosexuelle? ROTFL! Not aristocratic nor elegant at all. LOL! ( I get a picture in my mind's eyes of some hunk on the Paris Metro.)

    I think the "Arsene Lupin" scent is a great scent regardless of the name. Heck, it's a Guerlain, with a real historical lineage.

    Look up what Luca Turin said.
    Last edited by Primrose; 25th September 2011 at 07:32 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  15. #15

    jathanas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    2,438
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post



    I beg to differ. I aspire to be one each and every day! I revel in the use of that term.

    The word "dandy," when used today, is a quaint term that harkens back to a time where men took pride in themselves and their grooming. It was a ritual. Of course, only the very wealthy had time to do this. One had to be an individualist who did not give a d&mn about what others thought of you, your clothing, your pastimes, behaviour or grooming. (These early dandies had balls, I tell you, and some took to dueling with sword or pistol to settle disagreements as a matter of course. Don't let the perfume fool you. They were hard-living, hard-drinking, hard-gambling womanisers who could go head-to-head with any cowboy from the American West--or Down Under--of their day. There were superb riders and connoisseurs of horseflesh. The term did connote milksoppery toward the end of the 19th century, though, hence the term fell out of use.) Snobbery plays a role in the marketing of most luxury goods anyway.

    I would laugh to see a scent called, "Arsene Lupin Metrosexual."

    In France, this would bring to mind someone on the Paris subway. Metrosexuelle? ROTFL! Not aristocratic nor elegant at all. LOL! ( I get a picture in my mind's eyes of some hunk on the Paris Metro.)

    I think the "Arsene Lupin" scent is a great scent regardless of the name. Heck, it's a Guerlain, with a real historical lineage.

    Look up what Luca Turin said.
    Thanks Primrose. I wouldn't suggest that "metrosexual" is preferable to dandy, I aspire to neither.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

  16. #16
    Basenotes Plus

    JaimeB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    San Francisco, California
    Posts
    5,403
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    140

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    Just for fun:

    Yankee Doodle went to town,
    A-riding on a pony.
    He stuck a feather in his hat,
    And called it macaroni.

    Yankee Doodle keep it up,
    Yankee Doodle dandy;
    Mind the music and the step,
    And with the girls be handy.

    —18th century American song
    Yr good bud,

    JaimeB

    "Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

    My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

    Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

    Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

    Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

    Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

    —Seneca

  17. #17

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Just for fun:

    Yankee Doodle went to town,
    A-riding on a pony.
    He stuck a feather in his hat,
    And called it macaroni.

    Yankee Doodle keep it up,
    Yankee Doodle dandy;
    Mind the music and the step,
    And with the girls be handy.

    —18th century American song

    rrright.....


  18. #18
    arwen_elf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    4,053
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I LOVE Voyou. A better remedy would be that people who don't like it, don't buy it and leave it alone for the rest of us who do.
    +1 I love Voyou too!!!!
    Evenstar

  19. #19

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    I have no official statement at hand, but my guess is that existing bottles have simply been relabelled.

    Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    What will happen to the withdrawn "Dandy" bottles? Will they simply be relabeled and resold? It would be a terrible waste if they had to be destroyed or something.

  20. #20

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    Yes, I bought mine right after it was released!

    Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Ulrik, is your bottle the one with 'Dandy' on it?

  21. #21

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    ...I would laugh to see a scent called, "Arsene Lupin Metrosexual." In France, this would bring to mind someone on the Paris subway. Metrosexuelle? ROTFL! Not aristocratic nor elegant at all. LOL!...
    To be even more specific, a Metrosexual is someone who prefers to have sex while riding the Paris Metro. How about Retrosexual? Someone who prefers old fashioned love making?

  22. #22

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    To be even more specific, a Metrosexual is someone who prefers to have sex while riding the Paris Metro. How about Retrosexual? Someone who prefers old fashioned love making?
    Kevin, ROTFL! The old fashioned way? I recall in the 1970s film "The Great Train Robbery," set in the 1850s, a man was thinking about seducing a woman in a railway carriage! Now that's retro.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  23. #23
    suburbanites's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    29
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Yep, once I realised Mr. G had mentioned it earlier on his blog,I was a bit embarrassed mentioning it to him , but being a fan of especially Dandy, we thought it wouldn´t hurt mentioning it.

    So as of 2012 Arsene Lupin Dandy will be named Arsene Lupin and Voyou will be named Voyou.
    I also read some more on it stumbling on this blog,
    http://www.suburbanites.com/reviews/...-dandy-review/
    Wow. First time I've seen myself quoted to myself. Thanks, Eric.
    It's a good thing I still have the original box, that's going right back inside until the right time comes along.

    Andy
    http://www.scentrist.com

  24. #24

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    BNer Dane shared this link with me on trade names in the EU. It looks like the word "dandy" is copyrighted.

    Let's just hope no one tries to decide on the ownership of the word "bleu" or "bleue."

    http://oami.europa.eu/CTMOnline/Requ...Advanced_NoReg
    Last edited by Primrose; 7th October 2011 at 03:43 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  25. #25

    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    3,463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    hmmm can I copyright the words Sport and Black. I'll make sure they never get used in a fragrance again.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

  26. #26

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    I guess anyone can snag any word if they petition accordingly.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  27. #27

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    Come to think of it, Boucheron could have gone after Guerlain for the use of the word "initial."

    I am still amazed that "dandy" could be trademarked.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

  28. #28

    Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

    I would venture to guess this trademarking is why Jennifer Aniston's Lolavie was simply changed to "Jennifer Aniston." Too much like Marc Jacobs Lola.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Similar Threads

  1. Is Le Dandy the "adult" version of Pure Malt ?
    By Bigsly in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10th June 2011, 04:21 PM
  2. NEW Guerlain Arsene Lupin duo: Le Dandy and Le Voyou
    By Primrose in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 92
    Last Post: 6th February 2011, 06:41 AM
  3. Dandies take note: Guerlain to release the Arsene Lupin duo
    By Primrose in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 94
    Last Post: 24th October 2010, 04:00 AM
  4. Any speculations on Guerlain's Arsene Lupin? Dandy version?
    By Primrose in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 24th May 2010, 04:27 AM
  5. Vintage "Le Dandy"
    By rjrober22 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 1st November 2005, 05:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •