Code of Conduct

Default The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

Just talked to our own Eric about this and we agreed we wanted to share. Not many Guerlain threads these days :-) It has been mentioned on Perfume of Life already, but apparently not around here too much. Anyway, it's nothing very exciting:

Due to a copyright conflict, presumably with D'Orsay's Le Dandy, the name of Guerlain's Arsène Lupin Dandy has been changed into only Arsène Lupin. All bottles bearing the "Dandy" name have been withdrawn from stock. The design of the bottle is unaltered, and the name of Arsène Lupin Voyou also stays the same.

So, first-edition Arsène Lupin Dandy is already collectible!

http://monsieurguerlain2.blogspot.com/2008/06/news.html

Default Re: The "Dandy" name gets erased from Arsène Lupin

Yep, once I realised Mr. G had mentioned it earlier on his blog,I was a bit embarrassed mentioning it to him , but being a fan of especially Dandy, we thought it wouldn´t hurt mentioning it.

So as of 2012 Arsene Lupin Dandy will be named Arsene Lupin and Voyou will be named Voyou.
    I also read some more on it stumbling on this blog,
    http://www.suburbanites.com/reviews/...-dandy-review/

Interesting info. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

I would be even better if they simply killed the Voyou and left only the Lupin.

cacio

Post Thanks / Like

What will happen to the withdrawn "Dandy" bottles? Will they simply be relabeled and resold? It would be a terrible waste if they had to be destroyed or something.
    Last edited by morrison74; 25th September 2011 at 06:48 AM.
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

What a shame for Guerlain's scent. I like it.

There is also Varon Dandy, which came out in the 1920s and can still be purchased.

I think the word "dandy" is like the word "peace." How can you copyright such a general term?

What of the word "blue" or "bleue."

Silly. Then again, the whole fanciful marketing story of Parfums D'Orsay is really inaccurate anyway.

In the 1940s and then revived in the 1990s, the brand published books to shore up the myth.

Read these books for the real truth on the company:

Nigel Groom, 2nd ed. "The Perfume Handbook."
    Ken Leach. "Perfume Presentations."
    Madeline Marsh. "Miller's Perfume Bottles: A Collector's Guide."

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. G View Post
    Just talked to our own Eric about this and we agreed we wanted to share. Not many Guerlain threads these days :-) It has been mentioned on Perfume of Life already, but apparently not around here too much. Anyway, it's nothing very exciting:

Due to a copyright conflict, presumably with D'Orsay's Le Dandy, the name of Guerlain's Arsène Lupin Dandy has been changed into only Arsène Lupin. All bottles bearing the "Dandy" name have been withdrawn from stock. The design of the bottle is unaltered, and the name of Arsène Lupin Voyou also stays the same.

So, first-edition Arsène Lupin Dandy is already collectible!

http://monsieurguerlain2.blogspot.com/2008/06/news.html
    I am glad I have a backup of the Guerlain Dandy. As Luca Turin suggests, if you love something, buy extra bottles.
    Last edited by Primrose; 25th September 2011 at 06:38 AM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

Ulrik, is your bottle the one with 'Dandy' on it?
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Post Thanks / Like

I'm glad. Dandy is a bit of a lame term, IMHO, so let D'Orsay have it.

These days most guys are well groomed, practice hygiene, and even moisturize but I don't know anyone who'd be happy to be called a "dandy". It's not something most aspire to.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree - I won't miss the name at all. I'm not sure it even suited the mood of scent, particularly.

I like both of these, regardless
    Last edited by mr. reasonable; 26th September 2011 at 05:05 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

In fact, Guerlain is by itself a fragrance house of dandified scents anyway

I saw the "new" bottle and thought Guerlain was discontinuing "Voyou" and thus no longer needed to differentiate the two Arsene Lupin fragrances
    Happily, ex-Dandy is still the same excellent (however too expensive) fragrance

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    I would be even better if they simply killed the Voyou and left only the Lupin.

cacio
    I LOVE Voyou. A better remedy would be that people who don't like it, don't buy it and leave it alone for the rest of us who do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I LOVE Voyou.
    Me too.....
    We're all in the same game; just different levels. Dealing with the same hell; just different devils.

Wanted

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    In fact, Guerlain is by itself a fragrance house of dandified scents anyway
    Hear, hear, Ken!

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    I'm glad. Dandy is a bit of a lame term, IMHO, so let D'Orsay have it.

These days most guys are well groomed, practice hygiene, and even moisturize but I don't know anyone who'd be happy to be called a "dandy". It's not something most aspire to.
    I beg to differ. I aspire to be one each and every day! I revel in the use of that term.

The word "dandy," when used today, is a quaint term that harkens back to a time where men took pride in themselves and their grooming. It was a ritual. Of course, only the very wealthy had time to do this. One had to be an individualist who did not give a d&mn about what others thought of you, your clothing, your pastimes, behaviour or grooming. (These early dandies had balls, I tell you, and some took to dueling with sword or pistol to settle disagreements as a matter of course. Don't let the perfume fool you. They were hard-living, hard-drinking, hard-gambling womanisers who could go head-to-head with any cowboy from the American West--or Down Under--of their day. There were superb riders and connoisseurs of horseflesh. The term did connote milksoppery toward the end of the 19th century, though, hence the term fell out of use.) Snobbery plays a role in the marketing of most luxury goods anyway.

I would laugh to see a scent called, "Arsene Lupin Metrosexual."

In France, this would bring to mind someone on the Paris subway. Metrosexuelle? ROTFL! Not aristocratic nor elegant at all. LOL! ( I get a picture in my mind's eyes of some hunk on the Paris Metro.)

I think the "Arsene Lupin" scent is a great scent regardless of the name. Heck, it's a Guerlain, with a real historical lineage.

Look up what Luca Turin said.
    Last edited by Primrose; 25th September 2011 at 07:32 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post

I beg to differ. I aspire to be one each and every day! I revel in the use of that term.

The word "dandy," when used today, is a quaint term that harkens back to a time where men took pride in themselves and their grooming. It was a ritual. Of course, only the very wealthy had time to do this. One had to be an individualist who did not give a d&mn about what others thought of you, your clothing, your pastimes, behaviour or grooming. (These early dandies had balls, I tell you, and some took to dueling with sword or pistol to settle disagreements as a matter of course. Don't let the perfume fool you. They were hard-living, hard-drinking, hard-gambling womanisers who could go head-to-head with any cowboy from the American West--or Down Under--of their day. There were superb riders and connoisseurs of horseflesh. The term did connote milksoppery toward the end of the 19th century, though, hence the term fell out of use.) Snobbery plays a role in the marketing of most luxury goods anyway.

I would laugh to see a scent called, "Arsene Lupin Metrosexual."

In France, this would bring to mind someone on the Paris subway. Metrosexuelle? ROTFL! Not aristocratic nor elegant at all. LOL! ( I get a picture in my mind's eyes of some hunk on the Paris Metro.)

I think the "Arsene Lupin" scent is a great scent regardless of the name. Heck, it's a Guerlain, with a real historical lineage.

Look up what Luca Turin said.
    Thanks Primrose. I wouldn't suggest that "metrosexual" is preferable to dandy, I aspire to neither.
    Conscience is what hurts when everything else feels so good.

Basenotes Plus

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Just for fun:

Yankee Doodle went to town,
    A-riding on a pony.
    He stuck a feather in his hat,
    And called it macaroni.

Yankee Doodle keep it up,
    Yankee Doodle dandy;
    Mind the music and the step,
    And with the girls be handy.

—18th century American song
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

—Seneca

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    Just for fun:

Yankee Doodle went to town,
    A-riding on a pony.
    He stuck a feather in his hat,
    And called it macaroni.

Yankee Doodle keep it up,
    Yankee Doodle dandy;
    Mind the music and the step,
    And with the girls be handy.

—18th century American song

rrright.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrclmind View Post
    I LOVE Voyou. A better remedy would be that people who don't like it, don't buy it and leave it alone for the rest of us who do.
    +1 I love Voyou too!!!!
    Evenstar

I have no official statement at hand, but my guess is that existing bottles have simply been relabelled.

Quote Originally Posted by morrison74 View Post
    What will happen to the withdrawn "Dandy" bottles? Will they simply be relabeled and resold? It would be a terrible waste if they had to be destroyed or something.

Yes, I bought mine right after it was released!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Ulrik, is your bottle the one with 'Dandy' on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    ...I would laugh to see a scent called, "Arsene Lupin Metrosexual." In France, this would bring to mind someone on the Paris subway. Metrosexuelle? ROTFL! Not aristocratic nor elegant at all. LOL!...
    To be even more specific, a Metrosexual is someone who prefers to have sex while riding the Paris Metro. How about Retrosexual? Someone who prefers old fashioned love making?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Guyer View Post
    To be even more specific, a Metrosexual is someone who prefers to have sex while riding the Paris Metro. How about Retrosexual? Someone who prefers old fashioned love making?
    Kevin, ROTFL! The old fashioned way? I recall in the 1970s film "The Great Train Robbery," set in the 1850s, a man was thinking about seducing a woman in a railway carriage! Now that's retro.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by eric View Post
    Yep, once I realised Mr. G had mentioned it earlier on his blog,I was a bit embarrassed mentioning it to him , but being a fan of especially Dandy, we thought it wouldn´t hurt mentioning it.

So as of 2012 Arsene Lupin Dandy will be named Arsene Lupin and Voyou will be named Voyou.
    I also read some more on it stumbling on this blog,
    http://www.suburbanites.com/reviews/...-dandy-review/
    Wow. First time I've seen myself quoted to myself. Thanks, Eric.
    It's a good thing I still have the original box, that's going right back inside until the right time comes along.

Andy
    http://www.scentrist.com

BNer Dane shared this link with me on trade names in the EU. It looks like the word "dandy" is copyrighted.

Let's just hope no one tries to decide on the ownership of the word "bleu" or "bleue."

http://oami.europa.eu/CTMOnline/Requ...Advanced_NoReg
    Last edited by Primrose; 7th October 2011 at 03:43 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

hmmm can I copyright the words Sport and Black. I'll make sure they never get used in a fragrance again.
    Oriscent, AgarAura Pure Ouds, Creed, LIDGE, Patou Pour Homme, tons of niche and rare stuff for sale!
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/253...er-100-items!!

I guess anyone can snag any word if they petition accordingly.

Come to think of it, Boucheron could have gone after Guerlain for the use of the word "initial."

I am still amazed that "dandy" could be trademarked.

I would venture to guess this trademarking is why Jennifer Aniston's Lolavie was simply changed to "Jennifer Aniston." Too much like Marc Jacobs Lola.