Code of Conduct

Default Pure Coffee vs Pure Havana vs Pure Malt

What's up guys ?

I own the Original Angel Man . I bought it because of the great longevity and projection.
    Is the longest lasting fragrance i have ( it lasts on me for about 4 hours LOL ).
    People around me like the smell of it , i don't .

I was thinking of buying another Angel Men fragrance and i have 3 options Pure Coffee , Pure Havana and Pure Malt ( which is very expensive and hard to find ).

Questions :

1.Rank the longevity of the above fragrances from best to worst ?
    2.Can you compare the longevity of the above fragrances to the original Angel Man ?
    3.Is the smell of the above fragrances similar to the original Angel Man or not ? They are all flankers they should basically smell a lot like the original , right ?

Thanks guys , i really appreciate your help .

Default Re: Pure Coffee vs Pure Havana vs Pure Malt

Quote Originally Posted by Martin L View Post
    What's up guys ?

I own the Original Angel Man . I bought it because of the great longevity and projection.
    Is the longest lasting fragrance i have ( it lasts on me for about 4 hours LOL ).
    People around me like the smell of it , i don't .

I was thinking of buying another Angel Men fragrance and i have 3 options Pure Coffee , Pure Havana and Pure Malt ( which is very expensive and hard to find ).

Questions :

1.Rank the longevity of the above fragrances from best to worst ?
    2.Can you compare the longevity of the above fragrances to the original Angel Man ?
    3.Is the smell of the above fragrances similar to the original Angel Man or not ? They are all flankers they should basically smell a lot like the original , right ?

Thanks guys , i really appreciate your help .
    1. Longevity on all three are phenomenal (Spray in the afternoon, its still there the next morning). No sense in trying to compare, however I believe Pure Havane is the most spotty.

2. Original Angel Men is still king, however these aren't far off

3. Somewhat similar. Strip Angel of the tar note, add coffee/whisky/tobacco leaves and you'll get the flankers to some extent. The late dry down (12-15 hours in) of all three is the same patchouli note.

I'd buy Pure Malt if I were you. I own Pure Malt and Pure Havane, and PH is far less wearable than Pure Malt imho

First. You gotta spray too much or have fake A*Men. There is no way that it would last just 4 hours on anyone.

Now to your questions. I have not tried Pure Coffee yet so will rank just A*Men, Pure Malt and Pure Havane

1. A*Men, Pure Malt, Pure Havane
    2. A*Men has best longevity but flankers are not weaklings either
    3. They share same DNA but have different top and middle notes

If I should rank them it would be different in different stages:

Top notes:
    1. A*Men, 2. Pure Malt, 3. Pure Havane

Middle notes:
    1. A*Men, 2. Pure Havane, 3. Pure Malt

Base Notes:
    1. Pure Malt, 2. Pure Havane, 3. A*men
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

Quote Originally Posted by dreamer81 View Post
    First. You gotta spray too much or have fake A*Men. There is no way that it would last just 4 hours on anyone.

Now to your questions. I have not tried Pure Coffee yet so will rank just A*Men, Pure Malt and Pure Havane

1. A*Men, Pure Malt, Pure Havane
    2. A*Men has best longevity but flankers are not weaklings either
    3. They share same DNA but have different top and middle notes

If I should rank them it would be different in different stages:

Top notes:
    1. A*Men, 2. Pure Malt, 3. Pure Havane

Middle notes:
    1. A*Men, 2. Pure Havane, 3. Pure Malt

Base Notes:
    1. Pure Malt, 2. Pure Havane, 3. A*men

4 hours is pathetic i know .
    Maybe is something wrong with my skin , i must have very dry skin.
    The bottles i own are original , I shop form Sephora and Hondos Center ( both great Stores ) in Athens Greece .These stores have only original stuff .

They all have equal longevity on my skin.

Longevity: 1 A*men, 2 Pure Havane, 3 Pure Malt.
    Pure malt has the best top notes but Pure havane has the best base.
    To my nose Pure Havane still has got a little bit of the tar in it, Pure malt does not have any tar in it.
    I enjoy Pure Havane the most.
    It has great longevity (14 hours on my skin) and it smells great.
    Pure malt is nice but I wouldn't pay a lot of money for it. It just isn't that great.

Longevity is not a problem with any of these.....
    1. Malt
    2. Havane
    3. Coffee
    Gary

1.) Malt / Havane
    3.) Coffee

My preference:

1 - malt
    2 - coffee
    3 - amen
    4 - havane

Quote Originally Posted by G.303 View Post
    Longevity is not a problem with any of these.....
    1. Malt
    2. Havane
    3. Coffee
    Gary
    agree with Gary
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

i own pure havane , i like it a lot , but people around seems not to like it till now ! don't know why ( i can't see why anyone could hate this) , maybe the heat right now making it a little bit cloying... anyway it is by far better than the original Amen which i hate... didn't smell pure malt...

Pure Malt IMO!
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau

Pure Malt > A*men > Pure Coffee > B*men > Ice men > Pure Havane.

Quote Originally Posted by Fadi007 View Post
    i own pure havane , i like it a lot , but people around seems not to like it till now ! don't know why ( i can't see why anyone could hate this) , maybe the heat right now making it a little bit cloying... anyway it is by far better than the original Amen which i hate... didn't smell pure malt...
    I dont like Pure Havane much because it smells bit feminine to my nose. It should be named Pure Cherries not Pure Havane.
    Current TOP 5 from my collection:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    4. Encre Noire
    5. Dior Homme Intense

Pure Havane = Pure Honey to me...

If you don't like A*Men, I wouldn't bother with its flankers (personally, I despise A*Men and Pure Coffee, don't much like Pure Havane, and can barely tolerate Pure Malt). All of them have an A*Men base, so if you don't like A*Men, why not try something different?
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by barclaydetolly View Post
    If you don't like A*Men, I wouldn't bother with its flankers (personally, I despise A*Men and Pure Coffee, don't much like Pure Havane, and can barely tolerate Pure Malt). All of them have an A*Men base, so if you don't like A*Men, why not try something different?
    Not to be argumentative because we are all entitled to our own opinions, but, I very much dislike A*Men yet I love Pure Malt and Pure Havane. The resemblance between these fragrances to the original is minimal at best. Both rid themselves of the much maligned tar and coffee notes in the original, and, are as different from each other as they are the original. In my opinion they are linked by bottle design and name only, and very much merit a sniff regardless of one's opinion on the original. Pure Coffee is the closest to A*Men, yet, still different enough to also merit testing having gotten rid of the terrible tar note and dialing up the coffee.

I used to love A*Men and it was my signature scent for years before I discovered the world of fragrances & basenotes. Yet nowadays I can't stomach the strong tar note and prefer all the flankers to the original. Longevity-wise they're all excellent, but in terms of scent I think you can do much worse than hunting down For Him by Zara as a cheap but effective alternative to Pure Coffee. Pure Havane is the only one I own a full bottle of and I love the cherry and tobacco notes.

I own Pure Malt & Pure Havane... Personally I believe Pure Havane is better. I will earn alot of odd looks for that statement but I personally believe people just say pure palt because of the hype. Dont get me wrong its a great fragrance and I LOVE the whiskey note but all the women Id showed the two to live pure havane the best. Some People say it smells feminine, I dont get that at all. The same people who say its feminine are the same people who will wear other feminine fragrances anyways. Just dont buy into the hype... get a decant and really test it out on your skin and compare.

Love em all. Try the new one with the Chili Paste, it's among my new favorites.

Banned
    Blog Entries

actually. i hate the original a men, but i LOVE pure malt.

Quote Originally Posted by noirdrakkar View Post
    actually. i hate the original a men, but i LOVE pure malt.
    Old thread resurrected from the dead!

In the past year, I've changed my mind. I still dislike A*Men and Pure Coffee, and am still neutral about Pure Malt, but now like Pure Havane quite a bit. Pure Havane and Mugler Cologne are the two scents from this house that I reach for pretty often.
    Current Top Five:

1. Creed Green Irish Tweed
    2. Tom Ford Neroli Portofino
    3. Hermes Concentre d'Orange Verte
    4. Bond No. 9 New Haarlem
    5. Creed Original Vetiver

I disagree with the assessment that if you don't like the original Amen you won't like the flankers. Thats just off my own experience, that being that I don't like the original, but love Pure Malt and Pure havane and own them both.

Longevity and projection wise Pure malt is king but Havane easily gets you through the day. In terms of ranking them
    1. Malt 2. Havane 3. Coffee (had a small sample quite a while ago, found it to be the most similar to the original but not as overpowering. Wouldnt buy it though).
    "Geez, when are the 'We love Aventus' T-shirts coming out?"
    (Possum-Pie, 2012)

Dependent

New haarlem!!!!!

Basenotes Junkie

Weird, I get FAR better longevity out of the original A*Men than any of its flankers. I wouldn't consider the longevity of PM or PH to be any better than your average woody oriental.
    Last edited by 2ndBakeryAttack; 16th August 2012 at 07:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Osi1s View Post
    Longevity and projection wise Pure malt is king but Havane easily gets you through the day.
    Reading statements like this only serves to confirm my suspicion that the newer Pure Malt is, if not a reformulation, then at the very least less concentrated. I've done 6 side by sides with PM and PH over the last month, Havane's longevity won overwhelmingly each time. I've seen reviews and YouTube videos (before the rereleases) boasting of the epic longevity of PM. Was this a bit of waxing poetic on the part of people who had stockpiled what they thought was a permanently discontinued scent? Perhaps adding a bit to the lore? Or was it indeed the longevity beast it was made out to be? Because if it was, the rerelease is far less concentrated.

1. Pure Havane
    2. Pure Malt
    3. Pure Coffee

All are VERY good for longevity. I would say the best is the original A*Men.

No, the flankers don't smell like the original - they do have the same basic DNA, but they are significantly different. I like all of them MUCH better than the original.

Pure Malt & Pure Havane are head & shoulders above the others IMO. Pure Malt is good if you want something a little more deep and mature. Pure Havane is a little sweeter and less "manly", but not feminine. I can do without the Taste of Fragrance.

I would suggest you try them all - but if you are going to blind buy one of them, I would certainly recommend Pure Malt or Pure Havane... Or maybe wait, and get Pure Leather(?) that is coming out very soon...
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Pure White Cologne
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Tom Ford - Grey Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. Clive Christian - 1872
    6. Montale - Aoud Legacy
    7. Xerjoff - Nio
    8. Neela Vermeire - Bombay Bling
    9. The Different Company - De Bachmakov
    10. Chanel - Allure Homme Edition Blanche

Old thread resurrected from the dead!

In the past year, I've changed my mind. I still dislike A*Men and Pure Coffee, and am still neutral about Pure Malt, but now like Pure Havane quite a bit. Pure Havane and Mugler Cologne are the two scents from this house that I reach for pretty often.
    True,

I'm actually surprised it has not been resurrected earlier.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

You have a bottle of Amen, it smells good on you, others like the way it smells on you, and you get great longevity from it. My friend, you have nothing to worry about. Don't worry about flankers, stick to the Amen. It is the best out of the line.

To me, the original A*Men is far better than Pure Malt or Pure Havane, both of which I've been sampling a bunch the past few weeks. In fact, I'd had samples of both put away and unused for months, when last week I decided to finally try Pure Malt for the day. I enjoyed it enough to think I wanted to grab a bottle. But every time after that that I tried it, I just couldn't get around its cloying, synthetic qualities. I totally get the plastic (baby doll's head!) smell that others have mentioned, then it slides into this awful, cheap base -- doesn't smell like natural materials at all, just like chemicals. Pure Havane fares better for me in the first hour, but then moves to uninteresting vanilla, and finally to that same cheap base. I'm honestly astonished that so many people are so enamored with these two frags, especially folks who are familiar with much higher-quality compositions.

The funny thing is, investigating the flankers got me to actually try wearing A*Men (I'd only sniffed it on paper, was always a bit afraid of it). I've ended up buying a bottle. I'm still a little afraid of it, but I'm also fascinated by it, challenged by it, and more than not, delighted by it. It doesn't have that same cheap dry-down at all, and it's FAR more complex, spacious, and interesting than Pure Malt or Pure Havane.

Maybe it's folks looking for a safe, kids-at-the-nightclub frag who drool over PM and PH. That's fine, as there's a place for that. I just don't think these flankers deserve hype and praise beyond that.

Looks like OP and I share something in common, anti-fragrance skin.
    Original A-Men, Pure Malt, etc., do not last long on my skin. At least not 14+ hours. Pure Malt lasts quite a bit, for some reason, longer than the original A*Men, on my skin at least.

1.Rank the longevity of the above fragrances from best to worst ? Pure Malt> A*Men> Pure Havane> Pure Coffee
    2.Can you compare the longevity of the above fragrances to the original Angel Man ? Above
    3.Is the smell of the above fragrances similar to the original Angel Man or not ? They are all flankers they should basically smell a lot like the original , right ? Flankers do not necessarily has a similar smell to the original.
    Pure Coffee is the most different of them, followed by Pure Havane and then Pure Malt.