Code of Conduct

Default bergamot: how does it smell like

...and what rea your fave male frags with them?

Default Re: bergamot: how does it smell like

“Perfume is like cocktails without the hangover, like chocolate without the calories, like an affair without tears, like a vacation from which you never have to come back.”

Basenotes Institution

Go grab a tea bag of Earl Grey tea and give it a good whiff - it smells very prominently of bergamot. Sort of a sweet, boozy-ish citric smell.

I think the most prominent bergamot I've ever smelled is the one from L'Occitane, Bergamot Tea EdT. Also, Shalimar by Guerlain supposedly has a very large dose of bergamot in the top notes, but it's so overdosed that it actually doesn't smell like a normal bergamot accord and instead rather smells skanky and a bit animalic - which I personally love.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

One of my favorites: The Different Company's Bergamot

Try some Creed Citrus Bigarrade

Bergamote 22 by Le Labo and Bergamot by The Different Company and Blu Mediterraneo Bergamotto di Calabria by Acqua di Parma.

for swap/sale:

Full, "round," smokey (or perhaps that's just because most of us in the US associate it with tea drinks), perhaps a bit of a fermented element to it as well.

For me it's a very tart orange taste, but one that doesn't make you wince.

To me it doesnt smell sprakling like an orange, nor does it smell sour like a lemon. Its actually rather fragrant, aromatic.

There is no other way but to smell some essential oil or from the above suggestions.

for swap/sale:

I like the smell of bergamot. It smells fresh, clean without being boring.

To me, it lacks character. It's citrucy but not really. It's zesty but not really . It's little aromatic, but not really .

I hate that in a note. I like it to be clear and not confusing .
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

I agree with Mike's suggestion to sniff some earl grey tea. That's what bergamot smells like.

It's a citrus, but it doesn't really have the sharpness of lemons, limes, tangerines, oranges, etc. It's featured in (probably) most men's fragrances-- but you won't really be able to pick it out until you've spent some time with the oil and understand its facets.

If you get a chance to compare Dior Homme edt and Dior Homme Cologne, you will see that there is a huge boost of bergamot in the Cologne--it's a good example for looking at a scent with two different dosings of bergamot (there are other differences as well, but the amped up bergamot in the Cologne is, for me, the most striking difference).

Bergamot DOES lack character (compared to other citrus notes), but it's one of those notes that "plays very well with others". There's a reason that it's such a commonly utilized note in perfumery. It gives a freshness and a rounded citric character without dominating the "signature" of a composition. Where most citruses contribute a breathy, high frequency sibilance to the intro of a composition, bergamot has more of a body and it's softer and more mellow-- but this body creates a solid structural bridge between the top, middle and basenotes.
    Last edited by Indie_Guy; 26th September 2011 at 07:21 AM. Reason: typo

To me...Visualize 4/1/1 parts agitated lime/lemon/orange peel, respectively. I have a bottle of Bergamot essential oil and also Italian Bergamot / J.Steele as offered through the Perfumer's Apprentice.

A couple years ago, when my bottle count was closing in on only too too many and I had more time on my hands, I plotted all their note breakdowns on a spreadsheet. Assuming pyramid accuracy in notes... Bergamot came in as the most often used note: used in almost 50% of the bottles in my inventory. Kinda seems like it's in everything.

Of what I've got, I really appreciate its prominence in Aqua di Parma's Bergamotto of Calambria AND Gianfranco Ferre's Bergamotto Marino (to echo others). I believe it also adds immensely to other favorites of mine: 3rd Man, Original Vetiver, Cuba, Davidoff, Bowling Green, MdM, Eau d'Hermes, Equipage, K10, and very much so in both 4711 and Green Water.

I was also impressed with a sample of the Bergamote 22 from Le Labo, but just a little too pricey for me all things considered.

Dependent

Roll down to your nearest Whole Foods and have a sniff!

It's possibly the most unique citrus oil because it has so much complexity and so many facets to it: limey, herbal overtones, resinous undertones; it's also rather dry compared to lime and orange oil, and even a little drier than many lemon oils too. It's no wonder that it is used so much in perfumery.