Code of Conduct

Default Can vanilla heads still appreciate a basic cheap vanilla scent?

Hey Guys:

I've been testing out a bottle that I recently purchased called Devotion by Gabriela Sabatini. It actually has 5 positives with 0 neutral and 0 negatives. It's just your typical vanilla woods with a bit of spice. I find it pleasant and everything, but I have a question for you. If you've tried some of the niche quality vanillas, like Eau Duelle or Guerlain Spirituese Double Vanilla, or even just higher end vanillas like Joop! Thrill, do you find yourself still craving the cheaper vanilla scent? or Do these scents basically just collect dust on the back of your shelf,and have no real value in your collection any longer? Maybe you still like your cheap, basic vanilla for layering with something like incense or vetiver? Tell me your stories!

Default Re: Can vanilla heads still appreciate a basic cheap vanilla scent?

My issue with vanilla fragrances isn't the fragrance itself, but the over abundance of vanilla scented merchandise. Candles, car air fresheners, cleaning supplies, home plug-ins, body wash, laundry detergent...you get the picture. I find it hard to go a day without running in to the smell of vanilla in some form. Because of this, my vanilla fragrances need to have an extra kick. Something that sets it apart from the vanilla abuse I experience in all other forms, for instance, the absolutely enthralling tobacco note in Tobacco Vanille. So, in short, unless there is something unique and identifying to go along with the vanilla, I am going to leave it to my ice cream.

Tell me about it .

The other day i walked into this Sub/sandwiches shop . I swear i could smell something exactly like DHI opening . It was delicious. Then , i go into the restrooms to wash my hands, and the scent is even stronger there. I look up, and bingo, it was an air-freshner battery operated machine .

I go and ask the server to open the machine ( told him i like the scent too much ), turns out it had one of those refill bottles written on it ( vanilla/lavender) .

That thing smelled the exact same copy of DHI top notes .
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

I have no qualms using Vanillary by Lush as a basic vanilla scent despite having a fair few vanilla based decants/bottles/samples. Although I'll demand more than straight vanilla from niche houses.

Blog Entries

Another Vanillary fan here! l have tried a few niche vanillas, eg, Profumum, Montale & Farmacia SS. Annunziata, but Vanillary is the only one that's made it into my wardrobe. l love it's tonka note & find it very comforting, & great for layering. l agree that it's not worth spending a lot of money just for a "straight" vanilla; if it's expensive, it needs something extra.

l also think La Maison de la Vanille's fragrances are great value, if a little lacking in longevity, but at that price who cares?
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Definitely yes, though my kudos and congrats go out to a female vanilla cheapie: Vanilla Fields by Coty

I'm a 'nilla fan. That said, I do not want to smell like a Yankee Candle shop. I prefer my vanillas to be niche, Havana Vanille, Eau Duelle, or grand classic. Shalimar, for example. One cheap vanilla that I like very much is Yves Rocher's Vanille Noire. It's mostly a vanilla scent, but it has a bit of orange and a bit of cedar.

If it smells good, then wear it.

Price doesn't always denote quality, (see Eau de Baux) but niche brands usually tend to have the best vanillas/gourmands/etc.

Silly rabbit, vanilla is for strippers.
    ***My SALE thread***My TRADE thread***
    Frag addicted? Join the support group We are too but dam we smell good!

Have vanilla prominent scents in all price ranges and I find something wonderful in each one.

I've been on a vanilla binge lately. Started with Guerlain Spiritueuse Double Vanille. Wonderful stuff. Next stop: Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille. So fine. Then: L'Artisan Havana Vanille. Er. . . no. . . I'm wondering if my bottle went bad, actually. That much of a disappointment.

Tonight's treat: new bottle of L'Occitane Eau de Baux. Despite the "it smells expensive" reviews on BN, it strikes me as a little on the trashy fun side. Not in a mean-spirited way, more in a guilty pleasure way.

Creed Sublime Vanille was quite nice when I sampled it in-store. Not quite ready to cough up $500+ for it, though.

Very, very interested in Tonka Imperiale. Been lusting after it for months. I should just buy it and get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by slvrbckgorilla View Post
    My issue with vanilla fragrances isn't the fragrance itself, but the over abundance of vanilla scented merchandise. Candles, car air fresheners, cleaning supplies, home plug-ins, body wash, laundry detergent...you get the picture. I find it hard to go a day without running in to the smell of vanilla in some form. Because of this, my vanilla fragrances need to have an extra kick. Something that sets it apart from the vanilla abuse I experience in all other forms, for instance, the absolutely enthralling tobacco note in Tobacco Vanille. So, in short, unless there is something unique and identifying to go along with the vanilla, I am going to leave it to my ice cream.
    This observation is a good one--home scents filled with vanilla.

I do like Vanille de Molinard, though. Almost a pure vanilla. I usually like it in blends like Pour Un Homme, Shalimar, Jicky, Mouchoir de Monsieur or Habit Rouge.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

AromiErotici

I cannot appreciate a cheap rendition. I find a "scratchy" vanilla dominant scent very irritating.

Maybe a bit off topic but I love Tonka Imperiale layered with Double Vanille. My Holy Grail.

Quote Originally Posted by Jermel View Post
    Maybe a bit off topic but I love Tonka Imperiale layered with Double Vanille. My Holy Grail.
    Wow - yum. Reminds me of one of my favorite Peanuts cartoons, in which Linus says, "Sugar lumps with honey. They're good with cinnamon, too." Sweet tooth fans of the world, unite!

Tobacco Vanille, Molinard Vanille
    "Live in each season as it passes; breathe the air, drink the drink, taste the fruit, and resign yourself to the influences of each!" - Henry David Thoreau