Code of Conduct
    BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Red face All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, October 1, 2011 *** AMBER

For newcomers, here's the lowdown on this monthly online event:
    Every member, any gender, novice or veteran sniffer, is invited to apply a fragrance related to the theme of the month (listed below) and share your thoughts on the first Saturday of the month. This isn't a mandatory assignment; it's just for fun. Because not everyone logs in on weekends, you're encouraged to continue to add comments within this themed thread on subsequent days. If you don't join us for this month's discussion, please look ahead at the tentative lineup and join in at a later date.
    JANUARY ~ Oriental
    (warmth, flowers, spices, woods & vanilla)
    FEBRUARY ~ Animalic
    (civet-, castoreum-, leather-, or musk-influenced scents)

MARCH ~ Chypre
    (used to be defined by oakmoss presence, but ...?)
    APRIL ~ Floral
    (single solifore or full bouquet of flowers)
    MAY~ Fruity
    (single sweet fruits or a bowl of fruity-florals)
    JUNE ~ Citrus
    (hesperidic: bergamot, lemon, orange, grapefruit, tangerine, etc.)
    JULY ~ Green
    (fresh leaves & grasses)
    AUGUST ~ Fresh or aquatic
    (cool, dewy notes and seaside scents)
    SEPTEMBER ~ Opposite-Gender Fragrance
    OCTOBER ~ Ambery
    (dark, light or blond amber as feature note)
    NOVEMBER ~ Spicy
    (warm notes associated with cooking)
    DECEMBER ~ Gourmand
    (fragrances with a foody note, but not usually fruity--save for May)
    Looking for suggestions?
    See previous SnS discussions:
    Oriental — Jan. 2007, Jan. 2008, Jan. 2009, Jan. 2010, Jan. 2011
    Animalic — Feb. 2007, Feb. 2008, Feb. 2009, Feb. 2010, Feb. 2011
    Chypre — March 2007, March 2008, March 2009, March 2010, March 2011
    Floral — April 2007, April 2008, April 2009, April 2010, April 2011
    Fruity — May 2007, May 2008, May 2009, May 2010, May 2011
    Citrus — June 2007, June 2008, June 2009, June 2010, June 2011
    Green — July 2008, July 2009, July 2010, July 2011
    Fresh — Aug. 2008, Aug. 2009, Aug. 2010, Aug. 2011
    Fougere — Sept. 2007
    Opposite Gender — Sept. 2008, Sept. 2009, Sept. 2010, Sept. 2011
    Ambery — Oct. 2007, Oct. 2008, Oct. 2009, Oct. 2010
    Spicy — Nov. 2007, Nov. 2008, Nov. 2009, Nov. 2010
    Gourmand — Dec. 2007, Dec. 2008, Dec. 2009, Dec. 2010
    For the months of July and August 2007, regular BN was offline and supporters had access to an abbreviated site. We discussed aquatics and greens, but those posts are no longer accessible.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Default Re: All invited *** Sniff 'n' Speak Saturday, October 1, 2011 *** AMBER

This just might be my favorite category. Ambre Russe for me!

Well the ulimate Amber for me is Ambre Sultan so that is what it will be. I do love Shalimar etc but down right dirty sexy amber AS.
    DONNA

Oh just yesterday I tested the amber fragrance by Yves Rocher. Since it comes in 10 ml it will be either that or my good old standby amber Ambre Sultan.
    How perfectly suited this is to autum!

Blog Entries

Wanna jump!
    Ambre Sultan.
    Ambre Ceruleen.
    Versilia Ambra Mediterranea.
    Alahine.
    SSS Ambre Noir.
    All from samples. Maybe, now I'll decide which one is my favorite.

Basenotes Plus

An Ambery Saturday sounds great!
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Blog Entries

Ooh goody, one of my favourite categories!

l have a few to choose from;

Anne Pliska (from my new bottle of the extrait), & samples of;
    Amber Absolute
    Blue Amber
    Versilia Vintage Ambra Mediterranea
    Ambre Sultan

l also have a sample of L'Air du Desert Marocain which l haven't tried yet.

The weather here has hotted up again; in fact they are predicting record temperatures (for October) this weekend! So l don't know if l'll be able to take wearing what l think of as cold-weather fragrances, but l'll give it a go!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

Oh yes, I'm in! And can use up yet another decant (Tom Ford Amber Absolute), so killing two birds with one stone by participating.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

right Ambre Sultan, you know the old line, "I loved you before I met you." Corny yes for Ambre Sultan and I it was true. Way back in the early 00s perhaps even just before the 00s began, I read a review of Ambre Sultan from Luca Turin. I just knew I would if I ever got the chance to try it Ambre Sultan would be a love on first sniff. At that time I did not have the nerve to phone the Paris boutique(it was only available from them back then) and ask for a sample. Then about a year later I discovered Les Senteurs and they sold AS!!!!! Ordered a sample and waited for it to arrive. It did and yes it was total love on first sniff. I was used to the smooth elegant ambers of say Shalimar or the ultra vanilla sweet of many others. Ambre Sultan was a animal of a different kind, bitter herbal and in dry down just dirty in a wild sexual way. I gave it the tag line sex in a bottle, then read a review hinting at the same thing. LOL
    DONNA

Ambre Sultan is an excellent choice for Amber Saturday, but I think I will opt for Black Amber by Michele Bergman as I am yet to add Anne Pliska to the Collection
    Perfume and incense bring joy to the heart; but the heartfelt counsel of a friend is as sweet as a fragrant forest.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

Good morning, kids. Hi there and welcome, jPhx!

Dove into the samples giveaway box to get away from my usual selections, and the only qualifier there for today was Armani Privι Ambre Soie, which smells pretty much to be a straight-up amber, but let's run to the official text ...

Oh, Christine Nagel is the nose. She's a fave; I like her amber contributions to Guerlain With Love and ICONOfly Attache-Moi. This is pegged as an spicy oriental. Hmmm. Really? Doesn't seem too spicy or oriental to me. The notes: Ginger, amber, patchouli, pepper, and cloves. On my own, I could have ferreted out only the patchouli note, whose presence seems to be escalating as the scent warms.

Not difficult to wear, but have a "so what, who cares" feeling about it.
    Last edited by Quarry; 1st October 2011 at 02:43 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Plus

As I mentioned earlier I'm in Tom Ford Amber Absolute today. I am struck by the resemblance it bears to Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan; both are smoky, incensy, not-too-sweet amber fragrances.

Notes include amber, African incense, labdanum, rich woods, and vanilla bean
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Love's True Bluish Light by Ava Luxe.

Notes: white vanilla, white amber, milky notes and musk

I don't know what "white amber" is, but it's about as ambery as I can tolerate this early in the day. This fragrance is very autumnal for me, for some reason. It hits me as a tad melancholy. It's perfect for today. It is finally beginning to feel like fall around here.

Blog Entries

I'm wearing Prada Amber ( not Pour Homme), I just put it on. My initial impression is that it is very much like Prada EdP, but with a delicious overdose of amber...will update.

Dans La Nuit Vers Le Jour Sans Adieu Je Reviens Vers Toi.

I'll play! Dug deep into the sample box and came out with one that I think I'm going to enjoy. I've been on a myrrh kick lately, and this one has myrrh and AMBER.

Annayake Miyako
    top: cardamon, cinnamon, frankincense
    mid: Hinoki wood, rose, jasmine, ylang ylang, patchouli, cedar, sandalwood
    base: musk, wild rose, benzoin, myrrh, AMBER

I've never sniffed this, but I did a search and found descriptions ranging from soft amber to incensey woody. We shall see.
    I have to go play tennis first, but will come back later today to post my thoughts

Blog Entries

So for this grey Saturday morning I went with Ambre Ceruleen from a sample. Dipped the dabber many times and tried to cover as much of my neck, arms and wrist as I could, with a nice touch to my stomach. I could use more. This is not Ambre Sultan which I can only do a tiniest dab (and then I enjoy it), and a bigger dab bothers me. This amber is easy to enjoy and wear. It has softness to it, it is a little powdery, and it is slightly sweeter than other ambers I like (Ambre Sultan, SSS Ambre Noir or Profumi del Forti Versilia Ambra Mediterranea).

I would love to test it from a spray to get a better impression of the verbena top note. This is the one that is supposed to be the star in Ambre Ceruleen, created as a part of 8th Art perfume series. I don't get a lot of verbena impressions from my dab sample which does not surprise me -- dab samples tend to give one a better intro to the heart and base than to the top notes.

I wouldn't be afraid of this one in a spray. Right now it is a very comfy cozy amber.

Hello everyone! Happy SnS!

Like I said over in the sotd thread, I'm in Ava Luxe's beautiful Ambra Tibet for SnS. Serena says it's "a gorgeous amber fragrance with spicy cardamon and creamy Madagascar vanilla." That describes it well, but not enough. It's lush and resinous to be sure, but I think what makes it special is an unexpected herbal/balsamic freshness that sets it apart from other sweet and cuddly ambers. And I also get a fantastic whiff of ...I don't know ....something that reminds me of rich cocoa butter. Just perfect on this glorious, sunny and warm Indian Summer day.

Notes: Tibetan amber, cardamon, Madagascar vanilla, ambergris and civet.

Last edited by Evangeline; 1st October 2011 at 05:34 PM. Reason: typo
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

I went for my sample of Amouage Honour, which has quite a bit of amber in the basenotes, but I don't know...I liked it last time I tried, but I didn't this time. Maybe it was the unseasonly warm weather today, but I found it too heavy and a tad cloying.

Wearing Parfum d'Empire's Ambre Russe for SnS. This is one of my absolute favorites and I must get a full bottle! The boozy top notes are almost alarming (can I wear this to work??) but leave very quickly, so I don't smell like I been drinking! After that the scent seems to go on forever at essentially the same place, a warm, sweet (but not bakery sweet), rich, spicy smell (for lack of a better word!). Anyway, just love it!

Top Notes
    Vodka, Champagne

Middle Notes
    Coriander, Cumin, Cinnamon, Russian Tea

Base Notes
    Russian Leather, Grey Amber, Church Incense

summer means fireflys

Amber Day! Maybe my favorite day in the entire Speak n Speak series. I like to use SnS days to stretch a little, to step outside my box, to experience new smelling sensations ... usually. Today I'm in an old favorite: Ambre Sultan.

What can I say about Ambre Sultan that hasn't already been said by reviewers more eloquently than I? I just love it, have always loved it, and can not see ever being without it. It is dark, mysterious, and amazing. It has attitude. It is kick ass. It is sexy as hell. What else do you need?

notes: coriander, amber, oregano, bay leaf, myrtle, angelica root, sandalwood, patchouli, benzoin, vanilla

Aagh! I cannot decide! The easiest pick would be my Ava Luxe Ambre Antique, but I want something else, I think. Maybe I'll do that and pick something else for later on.

Blog Entries

Well, it's the hottest October day on record here in the UK; 29 degrees centigrade! l would normally shrink from wearing an amber on such a day, but l got out of my comfort zone & l'm enjoying it immensely.

This morning l drained my sample of Lucy B's Royal Egyptian Amber & Honeysuckle, my favourite of the five l've tried from this line.
    lt's a lovely, honeyed ambery floral with good projection, & matched the golden autumnal sunlight perfectly.

This evening l'm trying my sample of L'Air du Desert Marocain for the first time. After lazing in the garden all afternoon, & watching the sun go down, this is matching the sultry mood of this evening wonderfully. l haven't reached the ambery drydown yet, but the dry, woody, spicy smokiness of this scent is unexpectedly pleasing to me. Not too long ago, l would have immediately pegged this as too "masculine" for me, but l guess my nose is becoming more educated. Either that or l am being seduced by the power of suggestion, imagining myself reclining in a bedouin tent on silk cushions, inhaling the desert wind & waiting for my sheik...& all that.
    l'm rambling again, but sincerely, thanks basenoters for guiding me on this fragrant journey, l would never have made it this far without you!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

I'm joining Leesee in the "Aagh! I cannot decide!" camp and it's already noon. We are having a late Indian Summer and it's too darn hot for Anne Pliska, at least I don't want to take the chance because I'm a little head-achy today. I can't think of a Light scent that's amber-centric in my wardrobe, so further research is called for. see you lovely smelling folks later
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

Quote Originally Posted by cello View Post
    I'll play! Dug deep into the sample box and came out with one that I think I'm going to enjoy. I've been on a myrrh kick lately, and this one has myrrh and AMBER.

Annayake Miyako
    top: cardamon, cinnamon, frankincense
    mid: Hinoki wood, rose, jasmine, ylang ylang, patchouli, cedar, sandalwood
    base: musk, wild rose, benzoin, myrrh, AMBER

I've never sniffed this, but I did a search and found descriptions ranging from soft amber to incensey woody. We shall see.
    I have to go play tennis first, but will come back later today to post my thoughts
    Well, the amber day was a bust, because this one just doesn't have much
    It's was spicy incense to open, almost too much spice to feel well blended for me. The florals were off too, as I got a very sour note in there, most likely the ylang ylang bumping up against the dry wood. This didn't last long, but it was the death toll of the bell for this fragrance. Two difficult phases, and a fragrance is out the door for me. I don't like to suffer.
    The drydown was great though, all myrrh and banzoin with a hint of the incense still sticking around. Yes, some amber, but never prominent.
    Ah, well, amber will get it's chance another day. I tried.

Oh, it is 2:30 pm here and I cannot decide. It is so warm here that I am weary of wearing an Amber. Need to think some more...
    Evenstar

Well,we're hogging up all the perfect ambery weather here in Indiana,it seems!Sunny,crisp,cool fall day here,leaves are at the peak of their color.Couldn't have gotten a better day for S'n'S but would sure take some warmth if you'll all send it my way!

As I mentioned in the SotD thread I'm like Evangeline,wearing Ava Luxe Ambra Tibet-but layered over Ambre Fonce.Ambra Tibet is the one I really love on its own;my samples of these that I'm wearing today are perfume oil but have ordered AT in the extrait form.Was easy for a vanilla lover to fall in love with.Evangeline has covered the notes and described it very well-Ambre Fonce is sweetening it up from her description,really making it a more typical sweet,fluffy amber.Still with Ambra Tibet's dryness coming through;it's making me think of 1920's ambery vanilla orientals.Ambre Fonce on its own is a very straightforward amber(the AL website actually recommends it for layering),too sweet for me to like it by itself.It is well done though,in fact I'm learning that for me,Serena really shines when working with ambers.I do like this combo-if I ever felt my Ambra Tibet needed sweetening,there's no better partner than Ambre Fonce.
    The nose wants what it wants!

Blog Entries

I just have changed into Neil Morris's Burnt Amber from The Vault.
    This time I was happy to sniff the plum note that is supposed to be there, oh, a little tease, but I got it. Now it's a big boy, with no fruity frills, with a slight smoky undertone to it (smoky almost like in smoked meat). Every once in a while when I sniff a little cute plum is still there. What a different fragrance. I am afraid that my description makes it sound strange, but it's lovely.

MY SOTD is Shalimar Initial, which is wonderful amber/floral. No heresy here with the original Shalimar, which I also wear.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Primrose View Post
    MY SOTD is Shalimar Initial, which is wonderful amber/floral. No heresy here with the original Shalimar, which I also wear.
    Oh, great! I might try this one tomorrow. I usually try to do SnS for both days in the weekend and I do have a spray sample of this one.

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

It may have been the power of suggestion -- recognizing that Nagel designed both Ambre Soie and Attache-Moi -- but after a while, Ambre Soie smelled like an incomplete Attache-Moi. So I applied A-M over the AS, and the scent experience felt complete. Now, Cello tells me A-M is ripe with musk (and, is so often the case, I have to rely on the interpretations of others), so I guess I need musk to make an amber scent stand out. As much as I'm repulsed by most of the synthetic musks on the market, somehow A-M breaks the rule.

There's always at least one particular perfume that runs contrary to whatever rules one thinks they've discovered.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    There's always at least one particular perfume that runs contrary to whatever rules one thinks they've discovered.
    So true!

I'm making it a Sniff 'n Speak weekend, wearing Fleur Oriental by Miller Harris this afternoon...carnation, Turkish rose, Indian jasmine, amber, vanilla, sweet musk, heliotrope, orange flower. It's chilly today (finally!) and this suits. My interest in warm, ambery fragrances rises as the temperature falls.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Ooh goody, one of my favourite categories!

l have a few to choose from;
    [...]
    I also have a sample of L'Air du Desert Marocain which l haven't tried yet.
    Thank you for pointing this one to my attention! This sample is a challenge for me, as I remember from testing it, and I did not even considered it to be an amber (on me it was death by cumin). So today in the spirit of making an SnS a bit of a challenge, I got this one out and managed the tiniest dabs on my skin. Yes, small application makes wonders sometimes. I get some warmth from the spices, but not a cumin overdose.

Speak up, people, anyone here SPRAYS this stuff?
    (and yes, do you spray Ambre Sultan too?) this one I am also doing in tiny dabs right now maybe, I'll graduate from preschool one fine day

summer means fireflys

Quote Originally Posted by Warum View Post
    <snip>

Speak up, people, anyone here SPRAYS this stuff?
    (and yes, do you spray Ambre Sultan too?) this one I am also doing in tiny dabs right now maybe, I'll graduate from preschool one fine day
    Sure do! I happily spray both of them ... although I usually save LdDM for days off of work.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by shadesofbleu View Post
    Sure do! I happily spray both of them ... although I usually save LdDM for days off of work.
    Maybe some day I will too. Right now I actually dab all of them, because all my ambers are in dab samples. I love them all! But some I do generous dabs, and other still scare me off

Ambre Fetiche has a kick ass opening of some strong incense (Mr. W. suggested that right out of the vial it smelled like turpentine!), then it dried to a nice amber, and now every time I breathe on my arm I get a funny note of toasted nuts or sunflower seeds! Not what I would've expected from an amber, nice, nevertheless. Certainly different.

I continued with Profumi del Forte Versilia Vintage Ambra Mediterranea. Boy, this is a no-nonsense amber! It's very serious, maybe even dark. I remember it a happier one when I wore it on a beautiful August evening. I bet my skin was a lot warmer on that day!